#1   Report Post  

Default Speaker questions

This is my second post on audiobanter.com, I just recently bought some second hand audio equipment in the hopes of getting a clean system together for my room, without really breaking the bank. I already had some of the equipment in the system, but purchased:

AudioSource Amp Two
Kenwood C2 Pre-Amp
Kenwood T-57 tuner

I already had:
Realistic CD player from the late 80's (soon to be replaced)
Technics SL-D2 turntable, which I am using an Audiotechnica cartridge in

I am using Audio Research interconnects.

Not exactly the highest-level stereo stuff, but the difference between this setup and my Pioneer Surround reciever I have in my home theatre room is very noticable. I can tell this setup is more linear throughout the spectrum. The Pioneer seems to emphasize the low-end more, and there is a very large difference in the clarity and accuracy. I put in a CD of myself playing the cello, and the difference is pretty astounding between the two. I switched between both systems and listened through some Athena Technologies AS-F1 floor speakers I currently have in the theatre room.

Now for my question. I would like to get some recomendations on brands and/or models of speakers in the entry level market. I have already heard a few speakers such as the Epos ESL-3, a few of the nicer Polk bookshelf speakers, Klipsh, and some of the JBL line. I am in a rather small room, so I guess I am not really looking for large speakers, but wouldn't be opposed to buying some, since I know I will be moving in the next year, and probably getting a larger room.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by phatcyclist : October 3rd 05 at 01:58 PM