Posted to rec.audio.car
Gentamicinman Gentamicinman is offline

Default blown fuses, but speakers still turn on and make noise

Quickly:
1992 Cadillac 4-dr, am-fm tape player - stock factory unit. Car has
powered antenna. Today the radio was on, the antenna was up. Was
playing wireless iPod over the FM side. Reception went noisy. Plugged
DC iPod power supply into the cigarette lighter (thinking low iPod
battery was problem).

Charger indicator stayed off, meaning no power to it. Turned radio
OFF, but radio lights indicated it was still playing a stereo source
and I still had speaker noise - which was strange since power was OFF.

Turned off ignition, open and shut driver door (to reset 10 minute
timed play feature) and then the radio would not turn on. The antenna
was left in the UP position.

Owners manual states 1 fuse controls cigarette lighter, radio, clock
and powered antenna.

Removed said fuse - and turned the radio ON - of course it can't turn
ON, but interestingly enough I get static noise out of all speakers -
front or rear, left or right - and the volume controlled the noise
level-

The antenna stays up, won't retract - nor should it, since there is no
power to the radio - or so it seems.

NOW how does one trouble shoot something like this? Where should I
start?

The only previous trouble I had with this is very limited range on the
AM side and then static would overpower it - as long as the ignition
was on -

Now it seems there is another source of power to the speakers - which
might be the source of static -

Since the blown fuse is out, and on the floor, and hasn't been
replaced... I am confused....

Any help or tips or comments would be appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

There are 2 fuses for the radio, remove that other one also.
If that doesn't work, try disconnecting the negative battery post for about
15 seconds and reconnecting it.
Problem sounds like it may be internal on the radio itself

"Gentamicinman" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Gentamicinman Gentamicinman is offline

Hmmm- guess the radio wasn't the only thing with a blown fuse - count
me in there too!

In my rush I overlooked the other fuse. Remove it and the speakers
don't make noise.

Question? Is this circuit - the output amp (I'm guessing) that drives
the speakers the source of my abnormal noise on the am-side? The car
has always been weak on AM reception, lots of noise, but when the
ignition is off the weak station comes in loud and clear. Any
suggestions?

Thanks for the help
Dave