Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

Default 10 metres audio cable going into PC = too long?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com
Floyd L. Davidson spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Don Pearce spake thus:

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:26:25 -0700, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Laurence Payne" wrote...

There'll probably be 3 phases in the street. houses, or groups of
houses will be allocated a
single phase.

Not in the parts of the USA where I have lived (up
and down the west coast). They break up the 3 phases
back at the main road and supply only one of the
phases to each street (or 2-3 streets depending on
the load) It is not economical to run all 3 phases
along residential (or even small business) areas.

So what do they do when somebody asks for three phase
supply? Even a
reasonably small business here in the UK might well do
that if their power needs are significant. The power
companies here actually prefer to supply businesses
that way, particularly if they are also careful about
their power factor correction.

Reread my earlier post above. In it I described the
situation where a business I once owned needed to have
a power converter installed for 3-phase. This was in
Berkeley, in a commercial district, not a residential
one, and I think it's pretty typical of the Bay Area in
general, probably the urban U.S for that matter. The
power companies don't supply 3-phase power even to
commercial areas; if someone needs it, they put in a converter. (We had
a printing press that required it.)
Most commercial businesses don't need 3-phase power.
Large industrial customers do.

I think the converters can be shared, so if a couple or
a few neighboring businesses need 3-phase power, they
can all use the one converter.

What is a "converter"? I've never heard of anything
described that way.

It's a device--a big, honking piece of electromagnetic
equipment--that generates 3-phase power from 2-phase
power. In this case, it sits in an underground vault
beneath the sidewalk, covered by one of them metal
plates.
Virtually all power is generated as 3-phase...

Nope.

What you actually get merely depends on what the
transformer arrangement is. Single phase residential
power is nothing other than one phase from a 3 phase
distribution system. All that is required to have 3
phase power is *more wires*!

http://www.kayind.com/basics/why.htm

Apparently not. If you don't believe me, ask PG&E
(Pacific Greed and Extortion, as they're known around
here). They don't run all 3 wires as part of their normal
power distribution.

True for Detroit Edison, as well.

I know this thing exists, because I saw the crews working
on the damn thing in front of my shop when it malfunctioned and the
press stopped working.

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/pro...nv/phconv.html

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
tony sayer

In article , Don Pearce
writes
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 13:44:48 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

Virtually all power is generated as 3-phase...

Nope.

What you actually get merely depends on what the transformer
arrangement is. Single phase residential power is nothing other
than one phase from a 3 phase distribution system. All that is
required to have 3 phase power is *more wires*!

Apparently not. If you don't believe me, ask PG&E (Pacific Greed and
Extortion, as they're known around here). They don't run all 3 wires as
part of their normal power distribution.

I know this thing exists, because I saw the crews working on the damn
thing in front of my shop when it malfunctioned and the press stopped
working.

I'm stunned. This is the first time I've ever heard of power being
generated as anything other than three phase. Apart from anything
else, single phase is mega wasteful of copper.

Me too!, virtually every bit of wire string the electricity grid
together in the UK is Three phase. Only in some remote places will you
see overhead High voltage in Single phase, and that only is likely to
serve a signal customer!..

Can't believe the USA is that different?. I know or hear that they have
split centre tapped supplies for 115 and 240 volt domestic supplies...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:33:13 -0400, "mc"
wrote:

So how does house wiring work in the UK? Is there more than one grounding
("earthing") point? And how is this better?

As I understand it, the British ring system is to wire the outlets in a room
in a ring so that each of them has two parallel paths to the point where
power enters the room. As a result, a single high-resistance connection
anywhere in the ring will have almost no effect. That should do a more
reliable job of tying together all the ground connections for the different
pieces of equipment.

The electrician re-wiring my house 25 years ago told me ring-mains
were originally developed on battleships. Less chance of localised
damage taking out a load of equipment.

The main advantage in domestic installations was that smaller cable
could be installed for a given power load. With the demise of
electric fires and 15 amp outlets, spur wiring was permissible and
becoming more common.

Earthing seems to be almost as much a black art as is car electrics
:-) I don't pretend to understand it, but apparently changes in the
UK system have introduced stringent new requirements for cross-bonding
all kinds of things that weren't necessary before. Anyone know more
about this?
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Laurence Payne

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:33:59 -0400, "mc"
wrote:

Mc doesn't understand ground loops. You can get them between two boxes
plugged into the same double socket.

Two boxes with 3-wire plugs?

Could you elaborate? I thought a ground loop was due to difference in
potential of the ground connections of 2 different pieces of equipment.

Different resistance/impendence between different parts of the
equipment and "ground". Whatever that is.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Roy L. Fuchs

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 23:07:30 +0100, Palindr?me Gave
us:

Andy wrote:
I am in the UK.

I would like to take a stereo signal from the line-out of my stereo
(or TV) to the line-in of my PC.

The equipment is in different rooms and the audio cable would be 10
metres. It will be this type:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/130i0.jpg

I don't understand the technical side but is 10 metres so long that
it might cause audio problems with things like frequency response or
voltage/current levels and so on?

Will I need to get some higher specification audio cable to cover
that distance? I want to keep cost down.

I have used similar cable for a similar purpose over longer distances
with no problems, for general purpose "listening" quality. Buying a
higher spec cable is only going to give a very marginal improvement - if
you really are interested in quality, you would link digital ports using
an optical cable and not use analogue, anyway.

Excellent response!

The optical also reduces the number of elements in the run to one
(TOS), or two in the case of speaker feeds.

Heck, there are even speakers that have their amps integrated into
them that take optical feeds. In fact, that is the best manner to
reproduce sound is an amp right next to the acoustical transducer.
One doesn't need crossover networks in one's speaker if each driver
has its own amplifier. Just massage the corners a bit.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:34:58 +0100, tony sayer
Gave us:

I seriously doubt that, because then the potential would have been more
like 120 volts, right? I think that's grasping at straws: so far as I
know, PG&E (local electricity dealer) doesn't even supply 3-phase to
residential customers. In fact, not even in come commercial districts. I
owned a small business in Berkeley (print shop) until last year, and I
remember the previous owner telling me about all the headaches he had in
having PG&E put in a 3-phase converter (in an underground vault below
the sidewalk outside). So I know that utility lines don't usually carry
3-phase power, except to large industrial customers.

What they tend to do is supply the area with a three phase line at
around 11Kv and transform that down and then supply house number one
with phase one, house two with phase two, three with phase three, four
with phase one, five with phase two, house six with phase three and so
on. Its called load balancing between the phases...

Here, the pole transformer secondary (service side) is a center
tapped 240 volt output (there are buck and boost taps on some).

Homes here get the full 240 with the centertap (neutral), and within
the home, it is routed about as a single side hot-to-centertap, 120
volt run. The oven, furnace, dryer, inline hot water, etc (high power
devices) typically gets the full center tapped 240 feed. The center
tap is ground at the service panel with a ground rod, and all fault
returns (third wire) also come back to this grounded terminal bus.

All the 240 volt branches get dual breakers and all the 120 volt runs
get a breaker installed on that side of the service panel it will be
drawing from.

That makes any single run in the house 120 volts from ground (or
neutral).

Anyway, the pole transformer feeds several (4?) houses, then another
transformer is used for the next quad of houses The HV feed at the
top of the power distribution poles in Ohio was like 11kV IIRC (not
sure), and I don't know if it was 3 phase or not. I do know that our
3 phase is not like California's. They are Delta. I think Ohio is
Wye.

They may balance their consumption by sending a different phase to
an entire neighborhood, and another to the next neighborhood down the
way. Seems costly to do it house by house by house as you say is the
case where you are.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Roy L. Fuchs

"Eiron" wrote in message

Mc doesn't understand ground loops. You can get them between two boxes
plugged into the same double socket.

Two boxes with 3-wire plugs?

Could you elaborate? I thought a ground loop was due to difference in
potential of the ground connections of 2 different pieces of equipment.

If it were two separate circuits, would it not make sense to think
that there would be a small chaotic potential to be read across them?
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:02:04 +0100, Andy Gave us:

On 19 Apr 2006, wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
I am in the UK.

I would like to take a stereo signal from the line-out of my
stereo (or TV) to the line-in of my PC.

The equipment is in different rooms and the audio cable would
be 10 metres. It will be this type:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/130i0.jpg

I don't understand the technical side but is 10 metres so long
that it might cause audio problems with things like frequency
response or voltage/current levels and so on?

Will I need to get some higher specification audio cable to
cover that distance? I want to keep cost down.

I am using the exact same cable from Maplin, this is to go from
my computer to my stereo amp.

I would estimate it to be 10m-15m in length and I've had no
problems with noise.

sQuick..

Thanks to you and everyone else for the feedback. Seems it is
less of a problem than i was anticipating.

Actually my cable is not exactly the Maplin one I illustarted but
a very similar one.

Uh oh... all bets are off... ;-]

Till we see that new photo posted.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Roy L. Fuchs

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:46:44 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) Gave us:

But the common "ground loop" is indeed caused by grounding a
single conductor at two points. That provides a common path
through the single wire... for *two* signals. One is the
"desired" signal, and the other is a current between the two
ground points.

His eyes should begin to open right about here.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

wrote:

[...]

Essentially everything metallic that is a fixture within a house must
be bonded to mains ground. This includes everything in the plumbing
system - sinks, bathtub etc.
The ground wires for the ring mains just follow along with the power
wires and ground all the metal outlet and switch boxes,

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

tony sayer spake thus:

wrote:

[...]

Yes, what's so strange about that? We get three wires coming into our
houses: one neutral and two hots. The hots are each 120 (nominally) with
respect to the neutral, with 240 between the hots.

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Floyd L. Davidson

(Don Pearce) wrote:
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:46:44 -0800,
(Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

Try drawing a diagram of what you are describing.

Done. You can find it here
http://81.174.169.10/

I meant a diagram that *explained* what a ground loop is. Your
diagram does nothing, and isn't even a electrical diagram, much
less one of a ground loop circuit. Here is the electrical
equivalent diagram for your "ground loop",

Desired
Signal Source

o o
| |
| +-------+
| | Rload |
| +-------+
| |
| +------- connection =======//======= ------+
| | to cable (Induced Signal) |
| +-------+ shield |
| | Rgrnd | |
| +-------+ |
| | |
+------+ --------- Ground Differential ---------- |
| (Signal Source) |
----- Earth Earth -----
--- Ground Ground ---
- -

There are two resistors (Rload and Rgrnd) with one desired
signal source and two others that affect the voltage drop
across the resistors.

It is easier to see what happens if we assume the "desired
signal" is a current limited (i.e., high impedance) source.

In addition to the "desired signal" sources, there would also
be currents induced into the cable shield by external fields,
and currents induced by ground differential voltages.

All currents contribute to the voltage across Rgrnd. The
voltage across Rload is affected by the voltage across Rgrnd,
and thus the voltage drop across Rload.

Current through the shield affecting the voltage across Rload is
noise. If that is significant, it is commonly said to be a
"ground loop".

Lifting the ground from one side of the cable shield will stop
the current flow, and thus "cure" the problem. However,
reducing the resistance of Rgrnd, the common ground wire would
have the same effect.

Hence you have two choices. One is very easy and has no
detrimental effects for short cables inside a building that
has both ends on the same AC power distribution and a common
ground or very low potential difference between two earth
grounds.

Note that long runs of comm cable do not fit that description,
and therefore use the technique allowing only *very* *low*
*impedance* common ground connections. (The only common part
has to be a large, low impedance, cable that is preferably
short.)

What does that mean in practice? Here is another version of
your "diagram", except of course this one actually *is*
an electrical diagram.

+-------+ +-------+
| | | |
| EQUIP | ------- signal wire/pair ------- | EQUIP |
| | ========= cable shield ========= | |
+-------+ | | +-------+
| | | | | |
| +---+ +---+ |
| |
| |
----- Earth ----- Earth
--- Ground --- Ground
- -

This typically results in a ground loop *if* the size of the
two wires from the EQUIP to Earth Ground is not large enough to
provide a very low impedance (which is difficult to do if the
wires are any length at all, such as if the path to Earth Ground
is provided by AC power wiring for the building).

As noted, there are two solutions, the most well known is to
simply remove the ground connection to one side of the shielded
cable.

But the expedient of removing the ground at one end accomplishes
several things in addition to eliminating the ground loop. It
also removes common mode DC equalization, and it eliminates
induced current flow in the cable shield thus preventing that
current from reducing common mode noise induction in the signal
wires for balanced circuits.

Note that this is appropriate for use with cable existing
within a single building. The benefit is the same, but the
negatives are of negligible effect.

+-------+ +-------+
| | | |
| EQUIP | ------- signal wire/pair ------- | EQUIP |
| | ========= cable shield ========= | |
+-------+ | +-------+
| | | |
| +---+ -- Single ground for shield |
| |
| |
----- Earth ----- Earth
--- Ground --- Ground
- -

However, if the cable is a long run, and particularly if there
is exposure to power lines, if the ground potential is different
at the two ends, or if there are any other sources of induced
noise in the cable, this arrangement has the best effect:

+-------+ +-------+
| | | |
| EQUIP | ------- signal wire/pair ------- | EQUIP |
| | ========= cable shield ========= | |
+-------+ | | +-------+
| | | |
| | -- separate grounds -- | |
o------+ +------o
* *
* -- low impedance ground connections -- *
* *
----- Earth ----- Earth
--- Ground --- Ground
- -

Note the minimum common path to ground. If correctly sized
there will be no significant voltage drop across that small
section. (Which is to say, that conductor should probably be
copper strap between a copper terminal plate and the actual
ground system connection.)

Hence, there is no "ground loop" effect. However, the two
grounds are connected electrically and the voltage is equalized
between then. The second benefit is that voltages induced into
the cable by exposure to external fields will have a low
impedance circuit path, and therefore will conduct current.

No, I think I have described what is going on perfectly - I suspect
the confusion is at your end. It may be simply a semantic confusion
over what constitutes the signal.

I highly suspect that you will have a number of questions about
the above. Note that it is not semantic confusion, and that this
is a topic I've taught before. Please feel free to ask "What the
Hellll does that mean?" about any part of it you like.

Just keep in mind that it is *precisely* *correct*. I may not
have gone into enough detail, or used words that clearly paint
the right picture in the mind of any given reader though, so
questions that cause the description to be restated in different
ways are guaranteed to be helpful.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
tony sayer

In article , Roy L. Fuchs
writes
[...]

Thanks for that enlightening post. It may well be that we don't have the
centre tapped supply arrangement. In the local substation Y arranged,
the centre is earth connected and referred to as the Neutral return and
each phase is then carried on a three conductor cable with the wire
armouring used as the neutral return and its also connected as the
safety earth.

as strange as that may seem.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

Davidson) wrote:

Try drawing a diagram of what you are describing.

Done. You can find it here
http://81.174.169.10/

I meant a diagram that *explained* what a ground loop is. Your
diagram does nothing, and isn't even a electrical diagram, much
less one of a ground loop circuit. Here is the electrical
equivalent diagram for your "ground loop",

Desired
Signal Source

o o
| |
| +-------+
| | Rload |
| +-------+
| |
| +------- connection =======//======= ------+
| | to cable (Induced Signal) |
| +-------+ shield |
| | Rgrnd | |
| +-------+ |
| | |
+------+ --------- Ground Differential ---------- |
| (Signal Source) |
----- Earth Earth -----
--- Ground Ground ---
- -

Mine isn't even an electrical diagram? At least it had the load at the
right end of the cable. You have put it at the same end as the source.
This is just nonsense.

[...]

Why are you telling me this?

What does that mean in practice? Here is another version of
your "diagram", except of course this one actually *is*
an electrical diagram.

+-------+ +-------+
| | | |
| EQUIP | ------- signal wire/pair ------- | EQUIP |
| | ========= cable shield ========= | |
+-------+ | | +-------+
| | | | | |
| +---+ +---+ |
| |
| |
----- Earth ----- Earth
--- Ground --- Ground
- -

No more so than mine.

This typically results in a ground loop *if* the size of the
two wires from the EQUIP to Earth Ground is not large enough to
provide a very low impedance (which is difficult to do if the
wires are any length at all, such as if the path to Earth Ground
is provided by AC power wiring for the building).

As noted, there are two solutions, the most well known is to
simply remove the ground connection to one side of the shielded
cable.

But the expedient of removing the ground at one end accomplishes
several things in addition to eliminating the ground loop. It
also removes common mode DC equalization, and it eliminates
induced current flow in the cable shield thus preventing that
current from reducing common mode noise induction in the signal
wires for balanced circuits.

Common mode DC equalization? What has DC to do with any of this, and
what do you mean by equalization.

Are you still insisting that in a ground loop there are two signal
connections and one ground connection?

[...]

What do you mean by separate grounds? Separate from what? You have
grounded the equipment at each end, and also connected them by the
cable shield. This forms a ground loop and cures nothing.

[...]

No, the thread has effectively been killed by your diagrams that won't
survive the threading process, and are hence not discussable in any
meaningful way.

If you want to carry on believing that a ground loop needs two signal
paths and one ground path, I am happy to leave you to it.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

wrote:

[...]

All true. It's called "legacy technology". Unlike Europe, the US missed
out on the cleansing benefits of being the site of a world war.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"tony sayer" wrote in message

Why do you still use 115-120 supplies what with the extra
current demands, or is there still a perceived electric
shock issue?.....

Most US factories that use substantial amounts of power use 3 phase. It's
mostly just the residential areas and isolated light industrial areas that
lack it.

Electric power use per capita in the US is closer to being uniform or
decreasing, as opposed to there being extra current demands.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/25opec/sld020.htm

http://www.aceee.org/energy/effact.htm

"Total primary energy use per capita in the United States in 2000 was almost
identical to that in 1973. Over the same 27-year period economic output
(GDP) per capita increased 74 percent"

Since 2001 or so, there has been a major conversion of existing residential
lighting to compact fluorescent bulbs which produce about 3 times as much
light per watt.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Palindr˜»me

Jim Lesurf wrote:
In article , Andy

wrote:

I am in the UK.

I would like to take a stereo signal from the line-out of my stereo (or
TV) to the line-in of my PC.

The equipment is in different rooms and the audio cable would be 10
metres. It will be this type:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/images/full/130i0.jpg

I don't understand the technical side but is 10 metres so long that it
might cause audio problems with things like frequency response or
voltage/current levels and so on?

Will I need to get some higher specification audio cable to cover that
distance? I want to keep cost down.

To be able to give a complete answer we would need to know the output
impedance values for your stereo and TV.

The output impedance (resistance) will tend to combine with the cable
capacitance to make an RC low-pass filter. This may or may not matter, but
to estimate the effect we'd need to relevant values.

A quick bit of mental arithmetic, with the sort of distances and cables
mentioned by the OP, gives me an estimate of around 5k output impedance,
or greater, before it should give a noticeable effect (OK, a bit lower
if you can hear and are concerned about getting 10kHz stuff). I haven't
come across a line out with a higher impedance than 5k, so I don't think
it is going to be a problem.

Even so, this can be compensated for by a tweak of the tone controls on
the PC.

--
Sue

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
mc

Why do you still use 115-120 supplies what with the extra current
demands, or is there still a perceived electric shock issue?.....

At this point, changing voltages would be prohibitively expensive. We do
have 240-volt outlets for major appliances.

It's a trade-off. 120 V is safer from the electric shock standpoint, but
240 V greatly reduces the risk of starting a fire when a connection develops
high resistance, since there will be only half as much current and thus 1/4
as much heat output. British ring wiring further reduces that risk. I
wonder if ring wiring is legal in the US... if so, I might request it the
next time I have something wired.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
mc

To be able to give a complete answer we would need to know the output
impedance values for your stereo and TV.

The output impedance (resistance) will tend to combine with the cable
capacitance to make an RC low-pass filter. This may or may not matter,
but
to estimate the effect we'd need to relevant values.

A quick bit of mental arithmetic, with the sort of distances and cables
mentioned by the OP, gives me an estimate of around 5k output impedance,
or greater, before it should give a noticeable effect (OK, a bit lower if
you can hear and are concerned about getting 10kHz stuff). I haven't come
across a line out with a higher impedance than 5k, so I don't think it is
going to be a problem.

The output impedance of any modern IC-based audio equipment is probably
going to be quite low (under 100 ohms) because the output impedance of an
op-amp is inherently low. This includes line-level outputs that are
intended to drive high-impedance inputs.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Floyd L. Davidson

wrote:

Mc doesn't understand ground loops. You can get them between two boxes
plugged into the same double socket.

Two boxes with 3-wire plugs?

Could you elaborate? I thought a ground loop was due to difference in
potential of the ground connections of 2 different pieces of equipment.

Different resistance/impendence between different parts of the
equipment and "ground". Whatever that is.

Differing impedances is harmless. The problem is *common* impedances.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Floyd L. Davidson

Davidson) wrote:
Done. You can find it here
http://81.174.169.10/

I meant a diagram that *explained* what a ground loop is. Your
diagram does nothing, and isn't even a electrical diagram, much
less one of a ground loop circuit. Here is the electrical
equivalent diagram for your "ground loop",

Desired
Signal Source

o o
| |
| +-------+
| | Rload |
| +-------+
| |
| +------- connection =======//======= ------+
| | to cable (Induced Signal) |
| +-------+ shield |
| | Rgrnd | |
| +-------+ |
| | |
+------+ --------- Ground Differential ---------- |
| (Signal Source) |
----- Earth Earth -----
--- Ground Ground ---
- -

Mine isn't even an electrical diagram? At least it had the load at the
right end of the cable. You have put it at the same end as the source.
This is just nonsense.

My appologies, I didn't mean to go that far over your head.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Floyd L. Davidson

(Don Pearce) wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 03:46:32 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:54:57 GMT,
(Don Pearce)
Gave us:

No, the thread has effectively been killed by your diagrams that won't
survive the threading process, and are hence not discussable in any
meaningful way.

You just proved that you are even more of an idiot than he proved
you are.

His diagrams didn't kill the thread, and no, you do NOT quote
everything over and over again, dolt boy.

I quote what I want to quote. I produced a simple diagram that showed
the essentials of a ground loop - two ground connections and a single
signal connection. This was the opposite of what he claimed. He then
went on to produce a slew of poor ascii diagrams, none of which
demonstrated his contention. It was clear at that point that the
thread was going nowhere.

You produced a _block_ diagram, not a circuit diagram. You did
not demonstrate that it even produced a ground loop, and in fact
what you showed does *not* necessarily constitute a ground loop.

So, are you saying he is right, and I am wrong? Do you believe that
for a ground loop you need two signal connections and one ground
connection?

Go ahead - make my day.

You still can't get the right quote. Two signals, one common path.
There need not be a ground, and there need not be a loop.

And you can trust that everyone who actually does understand what
happens is indeed saying you are wrong.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:33:35 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

(Don Pearce) wrote:
On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 03:46:32 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:54:57 GMT,
(Don Pearce)
Gave us:

[...]

The diagram demonstrated exactly what it needed to demonstrate - no
more and no less. To get a ground loop, you need to make a loop from
the ground. To make a loop, you need the ground from one piece of kit
to another by two separate paths. This can be a problem in two ways.
Either, if the loop is physically large it can intercept magnetic hum
fields and generate a casement flowing around the loop, or if other
equipment is using the circuit, those currents flowing through the
main ground path will do the job for you.
The mechanism that turns these currents into emfs that actually couple
into the input was irrelevant to the point I was making. I was showing
that for a ground loop, you actually need to make a loop from the
ground.

You diagrams, on the other hand were actually wrong. You were putting
Earth symbols at locations where there is no Earth connection. In a
house there is only one Earth connection, and that is on the company
side of the consumer unit. All ground connections within the house are
as I showed - simple wire connections between pieces of kit. In fact,
the Earth connection is irrelevant to the phenomenon - ground loops
would still happen if the whole lot were floating.

Maybe I'm wrong of course - in your house does each mains socket have
an individual ground which is actually a stake driven into the Earth?

No? Didn't think so.

So, are you saying he is right, and I am wrong? Do you believe that
for a ground loop you need two signal connections and one ground
connection?

Go ahead - make my day.

You still can't get the right quote. Two signals, one common path.
There need not be a ground, and there need not be a loop.

Wrong - as wrong as you can get. Let me tell you this again. You can
have ground loops producing hum in a mono system. That is just one
signal in case counting is a problem. What you need is the two ground
connections. (Two is one more than one).

And you can trust that everyone who actually does understand what
happens is indeed saying you are wrong.

I leave them to judge.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Jim Lesurf

In article , Palindr-»me
wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:

To be able to give a complete answer we would need to know the output
impedance values for your stereo and TV.

The output impedance (resistance) will tend to combine with the cable
capacitance to make an RC low-pass filter. This may or may not matter,
but to estimate the effect we'd need to relevant values.

A quick bit of mental arithmetic, with the sort of distances and cables
mentioned by the OP, gives me an estimate of around 5k output impedance,
or greater, before it should give a noticeable effect (OK, a bit lower
if you can hear and are concerned about getting 10kHz stuff).

Since I am reading (and replying) on an 'audio' newsgroup, my assumption is
that people may be concerned up to around 20kHz, and want to be aware of
any changes that might be considered worthy of note in the context of using
good audio equipment in a domestic situation.

If I assume a cable capacitance of around 100pF/m, then a 5kOhm source
would, I think, give a roll-off of the order of 1dB in the 15-20kHz region.
(Assuming I managed to push the right buttons on my guess-box. :-) )

On this newsgroup I'd normally expect people to regard that as being large
enough to be worth at least being aware of it.

I haven't come across a line out with a higher impedance than 5k, so I
don't think it is going to be a problem.

You are probably correct. Alas, consumer equipment sometimes dissapoints
out expectations - particularly when the makers have failed to provide the
relevant data for the users. ;-

Even so, this can be compensated for by a tweak of the tone controls on
the PC.

Once one becomes aware of the problem, and knows what adjustment to make
to correct for it appropriately. Hence my initial comment. :-)

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Jim Lesurf

In article , mc
wrote:

The output impedance of any modern IC-based audio equipment is probably
going to be quite low (under 100 ohms) because the output impedance of
an op-amp is inherently low. This includes line-level outputs that are
intended to drive high-impedance inputs.

I would agree that modern circuits that use IC amps with feedback should be
able to provide nominally low o/p impedances.

However, although in general you are probably correct, the snag is that
life may not always be that simple. :-) For example, some outputs may
have a low nominal output impedance, but have a relatively low current
limit. Hence they may act like a low impedance source for low currents, but
show slew-rate limiting when asked to drive a high capacitance load (long
cable). For this reason the designer may even have included o/p series
resistors to protect against this and avoid the IC being overloaded.

As I indicated, all we have so far is that the source is a 'stereo or TV'
with no details of their actual outputs. Hence it will probably be OK, but
as I pointed out, we can't really be sure in the absence of the relevant
data.

IIRC the old IHFA-707 specs required audio signal sources to be tested with
loads of 1000pF//10kOhms as the 'worst case'. I don't know what standards
(if any!) makers of domestic TVs routinely adopt these days, but 10 meters
of cable does seem to me to bring us into the area where the 1000pF limit
might be an issue.

Slainte,

Jim

Audio Misc http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/AudioMisc/index.html
Armstrong Audio http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/Audio/armstrong.html
Barbirolli Soc. http://www.st-and.demon.co.uk/JBSoc/JBSoc.html
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Floyd L. Davidson

(Don Pearce) wrote:
The diagram demonstrated exactly what it needed to demonstrate - no
more and no less. To get a ground loop, you need to make a loop from
the ground. To make a loop, you need the ground from one piece of kit
to another by two separate paths. This can be a problem in two ways.
Either, if the loop is physically large it can intercept magnetic hum
fields and generate a casement flowing around the loop, or if other
equipment is using the circuit, those currents flowing through the
main ground path will do the job for you.

Virtually *every* outside plant telephone cable is wired up
exactly like that. There is a ground at both ends of each and
every section (3000 or 6000 feet), and the shields from each
coupled section are bonded to the other and to ground.

A three mile long section of cable might look just like this:

6000' 6000' 6000'

-----------o----------o----------- signal pair
-----------o----------o-----------
+==//==+ +==//==+ +==//==+ shield
| | | | | |
| +-+-+ +-+-+ |
| | | |
----- ----- ----- -----
--- --- --- ---
- - - -

Yet there is no ground loop, ever. Your description says that would
virtually *always* cause a ground loop.

The problem is that you description does *NOT* describe the essence of
a "ground loop". You have not shown where the coupling takes place, nor
have you describe why it happens.

You apparently were unable to read the equivalent electrical diagram
that I posted showing exactly what the mechanism is. Here is is again,
though this time I've rearranged it slightly to meet your requirement
that the load resister be to the right of the input. I hope the irony
of the difference is not lost on you...

o---------+

+-------+
| Rload |
+-------+
Signal |
Source +------- connection =======//======= ------+
| to cable (Induced Signal) |
+-------+ shield |
| Rgrnd | |
+-------+ |
| |
o---------+ --------- Ground Differential ---------- |
| (Signal Source) |
----- Earth Earth -----
--- Ground Ground ---
- -

The mechanism that turns these currents into emfs that actually couple
into the input was irrelevant to the point I was making. I was showing
that for a ground loop, you actually need to make a loop from the
ground.

You do *not* need a loop, and the "mechanism ... that actually
couple" them *is* the only point that actually matters. If
there is no interference, then there is no "ground loop". When
there is interference, that mechanism is what causes it.

The mechanism is having a single common path for two different
signals. (It often involves a ground system and that might well
have a loop, but in fact is there is no requirement for it to
be a ground system and no loop is required other than the normal
closed circuit required by *every* signal path.)

You diagrams, on the other hand were actually wrong. You were putting
Earth symbols at locations where there is no Earth connection.

There of course *is* an "Earth connection" at the points where I
showed them, *by definition*.

In a
house there is only one Earth connection, and that is on the company
side of the consumer unit. All ground connections within the house are
as I showed - simple wire connections between pieces of kit. In fact,
the Earth connection is irrelevant to the phenomenon - ground loops
would still happen if the whole lot were floating.

There is not necessarily only a single earth connection point in
any given house, but the circuit was not necessarily showing a
circuit within a single house anyway. It could just as easily
be between two houses a mile apart. Nothing in either scenario
would change how it works as opposed to a single connection
within one building.

Maybe I'm wrong of course - in your house does each mains socket have
an individual ground which is actually a stake driven into the Earth?

No? Didn't think so.

You've never lived in a house with 1) natural gas lines, 2)
water pipes connected to a well, 3) any kind of a ground system
for a transmitting antenna, or probably some other odd
circumstance that I haven't thought of? (I've lived and worked
in buildings with all of that, and I've worked in buildings with
more than one electrical distribution system too. Your
statement is absurd.)

So, are you saying he is right, and I am wrong? Do you believe that
for a ground loop you need two signal connections and one ground
connection?

Go ahead - make my day.

You still can't get the right quote. Two signals, one common path.
There need not be a ground, and there need not be a loop.

Wrong - as wrong as you can get. Let me tell you this again. You can
have ground loops producing hum in a mono system. That is just one
signal in case counting is a problem. What you need is the two ground
connections. (Two is one more than one).

You cannot have "hum" and your desired "signal" without having
two, count them, signals. Whether it is a "mono system", or
something like RS-485 data, a telephone dial loop, a T1, video,
or any of a number of other types of circuits and signals, the
basics are exactly the same.

Two signals does *not* define a stereo audio system! (Though
your comment pretty much does indicate the extremely limited
concept of a "signal" that you have... and that probably
explains your limited understanding of ground loops too.)

And you can trust that everyone who actually does understand what
happens is indeed saying you are wrong.

I leave them to judge.

Has anyone suggested yet that you are even close to correct in
any aspect of what you've said? Do you wonder why?

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
tony sayer

In article , Floyd L. Davidson
writes
(Don Pearce) wrote:
[...]

Yep, well thats balanced operation which as you say will go for miles
over telephone copper lines without humm..

Oddly enough in the UK they don't as a rule use screened cable, the
twisted balanced pair has very good rejection.

I seemed to think we were talking about domestic unbalanced lines
here?.....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:01:10 -0800, (Floyd L.
Davidson) wrote:

(Don Pearce) wrote:
[...]

My circuit showed what kind of poor installation causes ground-loop
induced hum. You get a ground loop in a domestic Hi Fi (and yes, that
is what we are talking about here -forget your telephone cables).when
you join to bits of kit together with coax cables, and also have them
both connected to mains ground.

[...]

No better. You need to understand that the load is on the far end of
the cable, not the same end as the source.

The mechanism that turns these currents into emfs that actually couple
into the input was irrelevant to the point I was making. I was showing
that for a ground loop, you actually need to make a loop from the
ground.

You do *not* need a loop, and the "mechanism ... that actually
couple" them *is* the only point that actually matters. If
there is no interference, then there is no "ground loop". When
there is interference, that mechanism is what causes it.

We are trying to work out how to prevent a domestic system suffering
hum from a ground loop. So no, the exact mechanism by which the
coupling takes place doesn't matter. What matters is how you connect
your kit up.

The mechanism is having a single common path for two different
signals. (It often involves a ground system and that might well
have a loop, but in fact is there is no requirement for it to
be a ground system and no loop is required other than the normal
closed circuit required by *every* signal path.)

Wrong. If you connect two bits of kit with a single coax cable, and
there are no other connections, you will not have a loop that causes
hum.

You diagrams, on the other hand were actually wrong. You were putting
Earth symbols at locations where there is no Earth connection.

There of course *is* an "Earth connection" at the points where I
showed them, *by definition*.

No there isn't, there is a connection to a bit of wire. Here in the UK
that is a piece of thinnish bare copper contained within the
twin-and-earth 2.5 squ mm cable that connects all domestic sockets to
each other. At some distant point where the power enters the house
there is an earth connection.

In a
house there is only one Earth connection, and that is on the company
side of the consumer unit. All ground connections within the house are
as I showed - simple wire connections between pieces of kit. In fact,
the Earth connection is irrelevant to the phenomenon - ground loops
would still happen if the whole lot were floating.

There is not necessarily only a single earth connection point in
any given house, but the circuit was not necessarily showing a
circuit within a single house anyway. It could just as easily
be between two houses a mile apart. Nothing in either scenario
would change how it works as opposed to a single connection
within one building.

We are talking about a 10 metre cable connecting a PC to a Hi Fi.

Maybe I'm wrong of course - in your house does each mains socket have
an individual ground which is actually a stake driven into the Earth?

No? Didn't think so.

You've never lived in a house with 1) natural gas lines, 2)
water pipes connected to a well, 3) any kind of a ground system
for a transmitting antenna, or probably some other odd
circumstance that I haven't thought of? (I've lived and worked
in buildings with all of that, and I've worked in buildings with
more than one electrical distribution system too. Your
statement is absurd.)

Good for you! And the connection with the current question is?

So, are you saying he is right, and I am wrong? Do you believe that
for a ground loop you need two signal connections and one ground
connection?

Go ahead - make my day.

You still can't get the right quote. Two signals, one common path.
There need not be a ground, and there need not be a loop.

Wrong - as wrong as you can get. Let me tell you this again. You can
have ground loops producing hum in a mono system. That is just one
signal in case counting is a problem. What you need is the two ground
connections. (Two is one more than one).

You cannot have "hum" and your desired "signal" without having
two, count them, signals. Whether it is a "mono system", or
something like RS-485 data, a telephone dial loop, a T1, video,
or any of a number of other types of circuits and signals, the
basics are exactly the same.

Learn some terminology. In electronic engineering generally as well as
audio, "signal" refers only to the wanted stuff. Hum, noise and
distortion are *not* signal.

Two signals does *not* define a stereo audio system! (Though
your comment pretty much does indicate the extremely limited
concept of a "signal" that you have... and that probably
explains your limited understanding of ground loops too.)

Yes they do. You will find that there is a left signal and a right
signal. That, I'm afraid, is your lot.

I'm always open to learn something new of course. If you have other
signals in your stereo do tell me all about them. Tell us all, in fact
- I'm sure we would all be glad of the new knowledge.

And you can trust that everyone who actually does understand what
happens is indeed saying you are wrong.

I leave them to judge.

Has anyone suggested yet that you are even close to correct in
any aspect of what you've said? Do you wonder why?

I'm still perfectly happy to let my words stand for judgment.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Floyd L. Davidson

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Floyd L. Davidson
writes
(Don Pearce) wrote:
[...]

Regular telephone cable does not have a shield on each pair, but
does have a shield around the entire bundle of pairs. The above
diagram shows the reason!

The effects of shielding is almost useless at 50-60 Hz AC power
frequencies, which means that noise immunity would be only the
common mode rejection ratio if there was no shield or if a
shield is grounded at only one end. Instead the shield is
grounded at both ends, which allows any induction to not only
induce current into the cable pairs, but also into the shield.
The shield has is a larger conductor than the pairs, hence has
less resistance and therefore significantly more current flows.
That current flow in the shield causes an opposing current to be
induced into the signal pairs! And that reduces the amount of
noise in the signal pair significantly below what it would be if
common mode rejection was the only noise reduction mechanism.

I seemed to think we were talking about domestic unbalanced lines
here?.....

The ground loop part is exactly the same in either case. The
example above is just a very convenient way to demonstrate
positively that cables *are* grounded at both ends, and that it
not only does not necessarily cause ground loop noise, but
actually is a way to reduce noise in the signal wires.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Floyd L. Davidson

Davidson) wrote:

A three mile long section of cable might look just like this:

6000' 6000' 6000'

-----------o----------o----------- signal pair
-----------o----------o-----------
+==//==+ +==//==+ +==//==+ shield
| | | | | |
| +-+-+ +-+-+ |
| | | |
----- ----- ----- -----
--- --- --- ---
- - - -

Yet there is no ground loop, ever. Your description says that would
virtually *always* cause a ground loop.

So please do comment on the above. If what you say is true,
nobody would install telephone cables like that, because it
would cause *huge* ground loop currents every time! It fits
*all* of your criteria perfectly. But it not only doesn't cause
a ground loop, it is done specifically to *reduce* noise in the
signal wires.

Incidentally, the exact same technique would work if the above
were applied to a coax cable with one single ended audio channel
on it. For example, a 10 meter connection between stereo
components!

The problem is that you description does *NOT* describe the essence of
a "ground loop". You have not shown where the coupling takes place, nor
have you describe why it happens.

My circuit showed what kind of poor installation causes ground-loop
induced hum.

You "circuit" was identical to the above. It clearly does *not*
necessarily cause ground loop induced hum.

You get a ground loop in a domestic Hi Fi (and yes, that
is what we are talking about here -forget your telephone cables).when
you join to bits of kit together with coax cables, and also have them
both connected to mains ground.

You get hum in domestic HiFi for *exactly* the reasons I've
stated.

If you ran separate ground cables all the way to the earth
ground (or to some point which represents a low impedance
connection to an earth ground), you would *not* have the common
path that I've repeated demonstrated is the culprit. But
instead people connect all of the equipment grounds to the
ground wire in a power outlet, and because that is a very long
*common* path, *all* signals on it are induced into each circuit
that is connect to it. That includes 60 Hz power and any number
of audio (e.g., mono or stereo), video, RF, or whatever signals.

In your case, it is a stereo hifi, but the same applies to any
other signal too.

[...]

You apparently have never worked with equivalent circuits, eh? The
load is *not* at the far end of the cable. All that cable is doing
is providing a connection to *two*, count them, signal sources.

The point in the above diagram is to emphasize the voltage divider
made up of the two impedances, Rload and Rgrnd. The cable is shown
*only* because it was convenient to draw it that way and label it
so that readers would understand what it was.

If I weren't dealing with someone like you, it would have looked
more like this:

Signal Sources

Desired Cable Induction Ground Differential
o o o
| | |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| Rload1 | | Rload2 | | Rload3 |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| | |
o---------------------o---------------------o

+-------+
| Rgrnd | === common path the causes "ground loop hum"
+-------+

----- Earth
--- Ground
-

But obviously that is a more difficult to relate to the problem
described, and hence while it might be technically correct, it
doesn't suit the pedagogical requirements.

We are trying to work out how to prevent a domestic system suffering
hum from a ground loop. So no, the exact mechanism by which the
coupling takes place doesn't matter. What matters is how you connect
your kit up.

You have adequately demonstrated that understanding the mechanism is
a requirement to *fixing* the problem! You've incorrectly described
what happens, why it happens, and what can be done to correct it.

Knowing how to avoid ground loops is what matters in how you
"connect your kit up".

The mechanism is having a single common path for two different
signals. (It often involves a ground system and that might well
have a loop, but in fact is there is no requirement for it to
be a ground system and no loop is required other than the normal
closed circuit required by *every* signal path.)

Wrong. If you connect two bits of kit with a single coax cable, and
there are no other connections, you will not have a loop that causes
hum.

You also can't turn it on, as there is no AC connection.

The point is that people *do* want to turn it on, the do want
various other components connected, and they *do* want to have
various components grounded... both to avoid AC hum and to avoid
electrical shock.

Hence there *are* going to be other connections to active components.

And regardless of that... an easy proof that what you say is
not correct is known to almost anyone who has ever tried cabling
microphone systems. Just hook up a microphone through several
feet (10m would do!) of shielded cable and connect the shield at
both ends... No other connections. No ground. No AC either.
No loop. But just see what a nice ground loop that makes as
soon as someone picks up the microphone! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

You diagrams, on the other hand were actually wrong. You were putting
Earth symbols at locations where there is no Earth connection.

There of course *is* an "Earth connection" at the points where I
showed them, *by definition*.

No there isn't, there is a connection to a bit of wire. Here in the UK
that is a piece of thinnish bare copper contained within the
twin-and-earth 2.5 squ mm cable that connects all domestic sockets to
each other. At some distant point where the power enters the house
there is an earth connection.

And of course *that* is what is shown in both the diagram I drew, and
equally well in the one you drew!

The points at which I place the ground symbol are the points
where the system is connected, via whatever means, to a ground.
The impedance of that connection is represented in the
equivalent circuit by Rgrnd.

You seem to have the mistaken idea that there has to be some sort
of "kit", or equipment, connected on both sides of that cable to
cause ground loop hum! Wrong!

You do realize that in your diagram there were *two* ground
loops, right? Not one, two. See if you can find them both.

In a
house there is only one Earth connection, and that is on the company
side of the consumer unit. All ground connections within the house are
as I showed - simple wire connections between pieces of kit. In fact,
the Earth connection is irrelevant to the phenomenon - ground loops
would still happen if the whole lot were floating.

There is not necessarily only a single earth connection point in
any given house, but the circuit was not necessarily showing a
circuit within a single house anyway. It could just as easily
be between two houses a mile apart. Nothing in either scenario
would change how it works as opposed to a single connection
within one building.

We are talking about a 10 metre cable connecting a PC to a Hi Fi.

It works exactly the same, whether 10 meters or 10 miles.

Maybe I'm wrong of course - in your house does each mains socket have
an individual ground which is actually a stake driven into the Earth?

No? Didn't think so.

You've never lived in a house with 1) natural gas lines, 2)
water pipes connected to a well, 3) any kind of a ground system
for a transmitting antenna, or probably some other odd
circumstance that I haven't thought of? (I've lived and worked
in buildings with all of that, and I've worked in buildings with
more than one electrical distribution system too. Your
statement is absurd.)

Good for you! And the connection with the current question is?

You brought it up, what *was* the point? (None. You didn't
make a valid point.)

You cannot have "hum" and your desired "signal" without having
two, count them, signals. Whether it is a "mono system", or
something like RS-485 data, a telephone dial loop, a T1, video,
or any of a number of other types of circuits and signals, the
basics are exactly the same.

Learn some terminology. In electronic engineering generally as well as
audio, "signal" refers only to the wanted stuff. Hum, noise and
distortion are *not* signal.

Signal in one circuit is noise in the other. Your audio of
course does not bother the AC power lines, but regardless it is
nothing but noise when coupled into the power line. The AC
power is the desired signal when on the power line, but noise
when on the audio line.

The problem, once again, is having those two signals on a
*common* *path* (where *both* are the desired signal). In that
way each of them becomes a noise for the other's circuit, even
though they are in fact both the *desired* signal on the common
path.

Two signals does *not* define a stereo audio system! (Though
your comment pretty much does indicate the extremely limited
concept of a "signal" that you have... and that probably
explains your limited understanding of ground loops too.)

Yes they do. You will find that there is a left signal and a right
signal. That, I'm afraid, is your lot.

Thanks for the laughs. That is hilarious.

I'm always open to learn something new of course. If you have other
signals in your stereo do tell me all about them. Tell us all, in fact
- I'm sure we would all be glad of the new knowledge.

You are confusing cause and effect. A stereo has two signals,
but two signals does not make a stereo. There are *many* things
that have two signals that are never described as "stereo". The
most obvious at this point is a single channel of audio and a
single channel of AC power. Two signals... no stereo.

And you can trust that everyone who actually does understand what
happens is indeed saying you are wrong.

I leave them to judge.

Has anyone suggested yet that you are even close to correct in
any aspect of what you've said? Do you wonder why?

I'm still perfectly happy to let my words stand for judgment.

They are!

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

Davidson) wrote:

[...]

OK I will comment on the above. There are ground loops, and they
induce hum. The hum doesn't reach the signal because it is common
mode, while the signal is differential - the hum is thus cancelled.

Incidentally, the exact same technique would work if the above
were applied to a coax cable with one single ended audio channel
on it. For example, a 10 meter connection between stereo
components!

The problem is that you description does *NOT* describe the essence of
a "ground loop". You have not shown where the coupling takes place, nor
have you describe why it happens.

My circuit showed what kind of poor installation causes ground-loop
induced hum.

You "circuit" was identical to the above. It clearly does *not*
necessarily cause ground loop induced hum.

Yes it does.

[...]

Try and understand. There is only one signal - that is the wanted
signal. The rest is interference.

You apparently were unable to read the equivalent electrical diagram
that I posted showing exactly what the mechanism is. Here is is again,
though this time I've rearranged it slightly to meet your requirement
that the load resister be to the right of the input. I hope the irony
of the difference is not lost on you...

o---------+

+-------+
| Rload |
+-------+
Signal |
Source +------- connection =======//======= ------+
| to cable (Induced Signal) |
+-------+ shield |
| Rgrnd | |
+-------+ |
| |
o---------+ --------- Ground Differential ---------- |
| (Signal Source) |
----- Earth Earth -----
--- Ground Ground ---
- -

No better. You need to understand that the load is on the far end of
the cable, not the same end as the source.

You apparently have never worked with equivalent circuits, eh? The
load is *not* at the far end of the cable. All that cable is doing
is providing a connection to *two*, count them, signal sources.

The point in the above diagram is to emphasize the voltage divider
made up of the two impedances, Rload and Rgrnd. The cable is shown
*only* because it was convenient to draw it that way and label it
so that readers would understand what it was.

If I weren't dealing with someone like you, it would have looked
more like this:

Signal Sources

Desired Cable Induction Ground Differential
o o o
| | |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| Rload1 | | Rload2 | | Rload3 |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| | |
o---------------------o---------------------o

+-------+
| Rgrnd | === common path the causes "ground loop hum"
+-------+

----- Earth
--- Ground
-

You now appear to have three separate load resistors. This just gets
more and more bizarre.

But obviously that is a more difficult to relate to the problem
described, and hence while it might be technically correct, it
doesn't suit the pedagogical requirements.

We are trying to work out how to prevent a domestic system suffering
hum from a ground loop. So no, the exact mechanism by which the
coupling takes place doesn't matter. What matters is how you connect
your kit up.

You have adequately demonstrated that understanding the mechanism is
a requirement to *fixing* the problem! You've incorrectly described
what happens, why it happens, and what can be done to correct it.

I have not at any point addressed what should be done to correct it,
but I will now. One must ensure that there is but a single ground
connection between two pieces of equipment. In the UK these days that
is simple. Amplifiers have mains plugs in which the ground is
connected. All ancillary kit - tuners, CD players etc are
safety-protected by double insulation, and have a mains plug with no
ground connection. The only ground connection they have is via the
coax cable, thus making sure that ground loops don't happen, and there
is no hum.

Knowing how to avoid ground loops is what matters in how you
"connect your kit up".

The mechanism is having a single common path for two different
signals. (It often involves a ground system and that might well
have a loop, but in fact is there is no requirement for it to
be a ground system and no loop is required other than the normal
closed circuit required by *every* signal path.)

Wrong. If you connect two bits of kit with a single coax cable, and
there are no other connections, you will not have a loop that causes
hum.

You also can't turn it on, as there is no AC connection.

There are these things called batteries, you see....

The point is that people *do* want to turn it on, the do want
various other components connected, and they *do* want to have
various components grounded... both to avoid AC hum and to avoid
electrical shock.

Hence there *are* going to be other connections to active components.

See my paragraph above.

And regardless of that... an easy proof that what you say is
not correct is known to almost anyone who has ever tried cabling
microphone systems. Just hook up a microphone through several
feet (10m would do!) of shielded cable and connect the shield at
both ends... No other connections. No ground. No AC either.
No loop. But just see what a nice ground loop that makes as
soon as someone picks up the microphone! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Connect the shield to what at both ends? Try and write a little more
clearly, please. And yes, I work regularly with microphones, and guess
what? The shield is connected to things at both ends.

And now you can explain how somebody picking a microphone up could
create a ground loop. Or is that simply your name for anything that
goes buzz?

You diagrams, on the other hand were actually wrong. You were putting
Earth symbols at locations where there is no Earth connection.

There of course *is* an "Earth connection" at the points where I
showed them, *by definition*.

No there isn't, there is a connection to a bit of wire. Here in the UK
that is a piece of thinnish bare copper contained within the
twin-and-earth 2.5 squ mm cable that connects all domestic sockets to
each other. At some distant point where the power enters the house
there is an earth connection.

And of course *that* is what is shown in both the diagram I drew, and
equally well in the one you drew!

I suggest you look at your diagrams again. They show no such thing.

The points at which I place the ground symbol are the points
where the system is connected, via whatever means, to a ground.
The impedance of that connection is represented in the
equivalent circuit by Rgrnd.

No - you have placed final earth connections there - not the same
thing at all.

You seem to have the mistaken idea that there has to be some sort
of "kit", or equipment, connected on both sides of that cable to
cause ground loop hum! Wrong!

No, the kit is there to reveal it. The hum will be generated whatever.

You do realize that in your diagram there were *two* ground
loops, right? Not one, two. See if you can find them both.

There is one ground loop in my diagram. It comprises the coax screen
in one direction, and the return via the mains ground cable. I
challenge you to find a second.

[...]

No, I pointed out the errors in your diagrams. You turned it into this
nonsense in a desperate attempt to deflect the criticism.

You cannot have "hum" and your desired "signal" without having
two, count them, signals. Whether it is a "mono system", or
something like RS-485 data, a telephone dial loop, a T1, video,
or any of a number of other types of circuits and signals, the
basics are exactly the same.

Learn some terminology. In electronic engineering generally as well as
audio, "signal" refers only to the wanted stuff. Hum, noise and
distortion are *not* signal.

Signal in one circuit is noise in the other. Your audio of
course does not bother the AC power lines, but regardless it is
nothing but noise when coupled into the power line. The AC
power is the desired signal when on the power line, but noise
when on the audio line.

In audio the signal is the music. All else is interference.

AC power is not a signal - signal is information, not power.

The problem, once again, is having those two signals on a
*common* *path* (where *both* are the desired signal). In that
way each of them becomes a noise for the other's circuit, even
though they are in fact both the *desired* signal on the common
path.

What two signals are you talking about now?

Two signals does *not* define a stereo audio system! (Though
your comment pretty much does indicate the extremely limited
concept of a "signal" that you have... and that probably
explains your limited understanding of ground loops too.)

Yes they do. You will find that there is a left signal and a right
signal. That, I'm afraid, is your lot.

Thanks for the laughs. That is hilarious.

I'm glad you are amused.

I'm always open to learn something new of course. If you have other
signals in your stereo do tell me all about them. Tell us all, in fact
- I'm sure we would all be glad of the new knowledge.

You are confusing cause and effect. A stereo has two signals,
but two signals does not make a stereo. There are *many* things
that have two signals that are never described as "stereo". The
most obvious at this point is a single channel of audio and a
single channel of AC power. Two signals... no stereo.

I know a little girl with an iPod. I suspect even should would call
you an idiot.

And you can trust that everyone who actually does understand what
happens is indeed saying you are wrong.

I leave them to judge.

Has anyone suggested yet that you are even close to correct in
any aspect of what you've said? Do you wonder why?

I'm still perfectly happy to let my words stand for judgment.

They are!

They are? What is that supposed to mean? What are what?

Get a grip, please.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Floyd L. Davidson

Davidson) wrote:

[...]

If that were true, why would anyone in their right mind ever
install a telephone cable that way? Common mode never cancels
all noise, because the balance is never that perfect, so if
what you say is true every telco cable in the country is installed
*wrong* and the noise in the cable could be reduced simply by
going around and cutting that ground connect.

Has it yet occurred to you that you *can't* be right?

You "circuit" was identical to the above. It clearly does *not*
necessarily cause ground loop induced hum.

Yes it does.

And nobody in the entire telecom industry knows as much as you
do about it, so they *all* do it wrong???

Or, just perhaps... you don't understand it?

If I weren't dealing with someone like you, it would have looked
more like this:

Signal Sources

Desired Cable Induction Ground Differential
o o o
| | |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| Rload1 | | Rload2 | | Rload3 |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| | |
o---------------------o---------------------o

+-------+
| Rgrnd | === common path the causes "ground loop hum"
+-------+

----- Earth
--- Ground
-

You now appear to have three separate load resistors. This just gets
more and more bizarre.

Actually 4 load resistors. The Rgrnd is also part of the
load on each signal source. We could label them as Rl1, Rl2, Rl3 and
Rlg just as well.

You have adequately demonstrated that understanding the mechanism is
a requirement to *fixing* the problem! You've incorrectly described
what happens, why it happens, and what can be done to correct it.

I have not at any point addressed what should be done to correct it,
but I will now. One must ensure that there is but a single ground
connection between two pieces of equipment.

Wrong. A single low impedance connection to ground for each
equipment is the key.

In the UK these days that
is simple. Amplifiers have mains plugs in which the ground is
connected.

And that is *exactly* where you get a common path for ground
returns, which is what causes a ground loop.

All ancillary kit - tuners, CD players etc are
safety-protected by double insulation, and have a mains plug with no
ground connection. The only ground connection they have is via the
coax cable, thus making sure that ground loops don't happen, and there
is no hum.

Which works fine... as long as all of these cables are very
short. And by the same token, it does not work so well when
there are 10 meter cables or when there is more than one
amplifier or other grounded device.

Wrong. If you connect two bits of kit with a single coax cable, and
there are no other connections, you will not have a loop that causes
hum.

You also can't turn it on, as there is no AC connection.

There are these things called batteries, you see....

So now everything is going to have to be battery powered.

You're grasping...

And regardless of that... an easy proof that what you say is
not correct is known to almost anyone who has ever tried cabling
microphone systems. Just hook up a microphone through several
feet (10m would do!) of shielded cable and connect the shield at
both ends... No other connections. No ground. No AC either.
No loop. But just see what a nice ground loop that makes as
soon as someone picks up the microphone! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Connect the shield to what at both ends? Try and write a little more
clearly, please. And yes, I work regularly with microphones, and guess
what? The shield is connected to things at both ends.

Connect it to the equipment! One end to the base of the
microphone, and the other end to whatever it is plugged into.

And now you can explain how somebody picking a microphone up could
create a ground loop. Or is that simply your name for anything that
goes buzz?

Remember... two signals and a common path...

Those of use who actually have worked with mic cables have a
different experience than you.

You do realize that in your diagram there were *two* ground
loops, right? Not one, two. See if you can find them both.

There is one ground loop in my diagram. It comprises the coax screen
in one direction, and the return via the mains ground cable. I
challenge you to find a second.

There is a ground loop at each end. The ground lead from the
box carries signals both from the box and from the cable shield.

That is true at both ends, therefore there are two ground loops.

Signal in one circuit is noise in the other. Your audio of
course does not bother the AC power lines, but regardless it is
nothing but noise when coupled into the power line. The AC
power is the desired signal when on the power line, but noise
when on the audio line.

In audio the signal is the music. All else is interference.

AC power is not a signal - signal is information, not power.

The problem, once again, is having those two signals on a
*common* *path* (where *both* are the desired signal). In that
way each of them becomes a noise for the other's circuit, even
though they are in fact both the *desired* signal on the common
path.

What two signals are you talking about now?

AC power and audio.

I know a little girl with an iPod. I suspect even should would call
you an idiot.

Just as you do? Of course that is simply because you understand
just about as much of this as a little girl with an iPod would
be expected to understand, so the comparison does seem apt.
Thank you for point it out.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

Davidson) wrote:

[...]

No. The way telephones are connected cancels sufficient common mode
noise to work. All of telephony is the business of doing just enough -
expensive is the last thing you want. To quote a saying - "Don't let
the best be an enemy to the good".

You "circuit" was identical to the above. It clearly does *not*
necessarily cause ground loop induced hum.

Yes it does.

And nobody in the entire telecom industry knows as much as you
do about it, so they *all* do it wrong???

Er - no. It would just be you that has this wrong.

Or, just perhaps... you don't understand it?

If I weren't dealing with someone like you, it would have looked
more like this:

Signal Sources

Desired Cable Induction Ground Differential
o o o
| | |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| Rload1 | | Rload2 | | Rload3 |
+--------+ +--------+ +--------+
| | |
o---------------------o---------------------o

+-------+
| Rgrnd | === common path the causes "ground loop hum"
+-------+

----- Earth
--- Ground
-

You now appear to have three separate load resistors. This just gets
more and more bizarre.

Actually 4 load resistors. The Rgrnd is also part of the
load on each signal source. We could label them as Rl1, Rl2, Rl3 and
Rlg just as well.

This is one load resistor. It is the input impedance of the amplifier.

You have adequately demonstrated that understanding the mechanism is
a requirement to *fixing* the problem! You've incorrectly described
what happens, why it happens, and what can be done to correct it.

I have not at any point addressed what should be done to correct it,
but I will now. One must ensure that there is but a single ground
connection between two pieces of equipment.

Wrong. A single low impedance connection to ground for each
equipment is the key.

That's right. And the way it is done here in the UK is exactly as I
described. But at last you have admitted that to avoid hum you do
need a single ground connection - I call that progress, of a sort.

In the UK these days that
is simple. Amplifiers have mains plugs in which the ground is
connected.

And that is *exactly* where you get a common path for ground
returns, which is what causes a ground loop.

No. That is a single point of connection to ground for the entire
system. You can't have a loop with just one connection - think about
it.

All ancillary kit - tuners, CD players etc are
safety-protected by double insulation, and have a mains plug with no
ground connection. The only ground connection they have is via the
coax cable, thus making sure that ground loops don't happen, and there
is no hum.

Which works fine... as long as all of these cables are very
short. And by the same token, it does not work so well when
there are 10 meter cables or when there is more than one
amplifier or other grounded device.

It works perfectly with any domestic length of cable you like. The
worst problem you would find with longer cables is capacitive losses.

Wrong. If you connect two bits of kit with a single coax cable, and
there are no other connections, you will not have a loop that causes
hum.

You also can't turn it on, as there is no AC connection.

There are these things called batteries, you see....

So now everything is going to have to be battery powered.

You're grasping...

Follow the logic! I wasn't saying everything had to be battery
powered, I was countering your claim that everything had to have an AC
power connection.

And regardless of that... an easy proof that what you say is
not correct is known to almost anyone who has ever tried cabling
microphone systems. Just hook up a microphone through several
feet (10m would do!) of shielded cable and connect the shield at
both ends... No other connections. No ground. No AC either.
No loop. But just see what a nice ground loop that makes as
soon as someone picks up the microphone! Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Connect the shield to what at both ends? Try and write a little more
clearly, please. And yes, I work regularly with microphones, and guess
what? The shield is connected to things at both ends.

Connect it to the equipment! One end to the base of the
microphone, and the other end to whatever it is plugged into.

OK. My microphones have a screen in the cable. At the equipment end it
connects to the ground terminal. At the microphone end it connects to
the casing. With my condenser microphones it also connects to the
lower end of the amplifier circuit.

And now you can explain how somebody picking a microphone up could
create a ground loop. Or is that simply your name for anything that
goes buzz?

Remember... two signals and a common path...

First - no buzz. None of my microphones buzzes when I pick it up. If
yours do, you have a problem. And of course it isn't a ground loop,
unless you are also grabbing something grounded.

Those of use who actually have worked with mic cables have a
different experience than you.

No. Those who have worked with broken mic cables have a different
experience. Fix them!

You do realize that in your diagram there were *two* ground
loops, right? Not one, two. See if you can find them both.

There is one ground loop in my diagram. It comprises the coax screen
in one direction, and the return via the mains ground cable. I
challenge you to find a second.

There is a ground loop at each end. The ground lead from the
box carries signals both from the box and from the cable shield.

That is true at both ends, therefore there are two ground loops.

What on earth (pun) are you talking about? A single connection is not
a loop - it is a connection. Do you even know what a loop is? I'm
serious - you appear to have no concept.

Signal in one circuit is noise in the other. Your audio of
course does not bother the AC power lines, but regardless it is
nothing but noise when coupled into the power line. The AC
power is the desired signal when on the power line, but noise
when on the audio line.

In audio the signal is the music. All else is interference.

AC power is not a signal - signal is information, not power.

The problem, once again, is having those two signals on a
*common* *path* (where *both* are the desired signal). In that
way each of them becomes a noise for the other's circuit, even
though they are in fact both the *desired* signal on the common
path.

What two signals are you talking about now?

AC power and audio.

You need to learn how to keep AC power signals out of your audio
leads. Your system must be a disaster area.

I know a little girl with an iPod. I suspect even should would call
you an idiot.

Just as you do? Of course that is simply because you understand
just about as much of this as a little girl with an iPod would
be expected to understand, so the comparison does seem apt.
Thank you for point it out.

Your grammar is sinking as fast as your logic at this point. Take a
break.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.rec.audio,rec.audio.tech
Roy L. Fuchs

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:10:08 GMT, (Don Pearce)
Gave us:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 03:46:32 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:54:57 GMT,
(Don Pearce)
Gave us:

[...]

You are so far off, you don't know how many PATHS are involved, so
there is no way that you are going to discern anything about any LOOPS
that may be present in one or more of those PATHS that you are so
underinformed about. Therefore, I deduce that you will not garner ANY
facts about ground loops until you reset your bent perception mindset.

Try again.