Jay Patel

Default Installing a Sirius Antenna

Does anyone have any good detailed instructions on how to install any
of the Sirius antennas into a car? I am going to get it for a 2004
Toyota Prius (when the car comes in!), and maybe first for my 1993
Toyota Camry if the installation of the antenna isn't hard.

-Jay
)
Montyhp

I just had one installed by Best Buy (big mistake!) But I read the
instructions and the antenna just plugs into the receiver. Then the antenna
cable runs up the door channel and magnets to the top of the car. Very easy
in my estimation.

Montyhp

"Jay Patel" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have any good detailed instructions on how to install any
of the Sirius antennas into a car? I am going to get it for a 2004
Toyota Prius (when the car comes in!), and maybe first for my 1993
Toyota Camry if the installation of the antenna isn't hard.

-Jay
)

Montyhp

You had to get me started.

First of all, they took way longer than they should have, I was at best buy
at 2 p.m. They told me it would be 5 hours because they had 5 cars ahead of
me. When I got to the install bay, there were three cars parked outside and
one in a bay. They had three standing around talking, two empty bays, and
no one working on the car in the bay! I can't see it taking more than 45
minutes to install a stereo, especially an easy install. Ended up being
done after 6:30 pm.

The dude told me that the satellite reciever took a long time to install.
From what I can see from the manual, you just plug in the receiver to the
back of the head unit, plug in the antenna, route the antenna wire, slap the
magnet on the roof, and screw the receiver to the firewall.

They nickle and dimed me. This was supposed to be a free install, but it
ended up costing me over $100.

To top it off, they didn't hook up the dimmer circuit. I'll be doing that
myself because I'll be danged if I am going to waste another 5 hours waiting
at best buy.

Overall, I am happy with the stereo (kenwood), but if I had installed it
myself, I think it would look better and it would have been done right the
first time.

Montyhp.

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message
What did they (BBY) do?

"Montyhp" montyhp at yahoo.com wrote in message
I just had one installed by Best Buy (big mistake!) But I read the
instructions and the antenna just plugs into the receiver. Then the

antenna
cable runs up the door channel and magnets to the top of the car. Very

easy
in my estimation.

Montyhp

"Jay Patel" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone have any good detailed instructions on how to install any
of the Sirius antennas into a car? I am going to get it for a 2004
Toyota Prius (when the car comes in!), and maybe first for my 1993
Toyota Camry if the installation of the antenna isn't hard.

-Jay
)

Les

"Montyhp" montyhp at yahoo.com wrote in message
You had to get me started.

First of all, they took way longer than they should have, I was at best

buy
at 2 p.m. They told me it would be 5 hours because they had 5 cars ahead

of
me.

Sounds reasonable.

When I got to the install bay, there were three cars parked outside and
one in a bay. They had three standing around talking, two empty bays, and
no one working on the car in the bay!

I often had an empty bay. You don't have to have all of the bays full to be
busy! What were they doing to the other car?
BTW alot of places have breaks throughout the day. Were they all standing
around for more than 15 minutes?

I can't see it taking more than 45
minutes to install a stereo, especially an easy install. Ended up being
done after 6:30 pm.

I could do a HU swap in an easy car in 45 minutes, but then you have
paperwork time, vaccum time (well we always did that, don't know about BB),
put tools away (I am very anal about the tools being where they should at
the start of every job, plus it helps to ensure you don't leave tools in the
car), and then get the car out of the bay. 1 hour is a safe estimate.

The dude told me that the satellite reciever took a long time to install.
From what I can see from the manual, you just plug in the receiver to the
back of the head unit, plug in the antenna, route the antenna wire, slap

the
magnet on the roof, and screw the receiver to the firewall.

And run power and ground wires, pull up carpet, pull out the HU, then route
the antenna wire, then replace everything and test.

They nickle and dimed me. This was supposed to be a free install, but it
ended up costing me over $100.

To top it off, they didn't hook up the dimmer circuit. I'll be doing that
myself because I'll be danged if I am going to waste another 5 hours

waiting
at best buy.

I rarely hook up my radios to the dimmer circuit, I really don't know alot
of people that do.

Overall, I am happy with the stereo (kenwood), but if I had installed it
myself, I think it would look better and it would have been done right the
first time.

Then why didn't you?? From what you've said it doesn't really sound
unreasonable, and from what you have said I don't see anything that was done
wrong.

Les

mayhemkrew

Well I don't think it's a dimmer circuit, it's usually an illumination
circuit, which I don't think is a big deal. If it was a dimmer, that would
be cool, but it's not. Only thing the illumination does is light up the
buttons (on some models) when the parking lights go on, or dims that radio
slightly when parking lights go on. Did you have an appointment or did you
just walk in?

"Montyhp" montyhp at yahoo.com wrote in message

To top it off, they didn't hook up the dimmer circuit. I'll be doing that
myself because I'll be danged if I am going to waste another 5 hours

waiting
at best buy.

Montyhp

Please. I've been around a while and I know good service. This was a bunch
if teenagers standing around talking. I am sure I would have been much
happier with your service.

I am not an unreasonable person, and I have installed several car stereos.
I'll vote with my checkbook next time I need electronics.

Montyhp
"Les" wrote in message
. com...

[...]

From what I can see from the manual, you just plug in the receiver to