Roscoe East

Default 3-head cassette deck: Tascam 130 vs. Sony TC-KE300S

Google search reveals nothing conclusive, or current, so I'm asking:

Any opinions on either of these two fairly inexpensive cassette decks?
Or opinions on one's superior value over the other?

It's killing me to even have to buy a cassette deck. And it's killing
me to not be considering a state-of-the-art machine (if such a thing
isn't an oxymoron), but it just seems ludicrous to spend $1100 on a
122mkIII or whatever just to be able to transcribe 20 year old tapes.
So I'm looking for a deck that will sound good on playback, be able to
record decently for the 1 out of 30 clients who still require it, and
hopefully last long enough to be the last cassette deck I ever have to
buy.
Moran, Doug - Denison

On 30 Oct 2003, Roscoe East wrote:

Google search reveals nothing conclusive, or current, so I'm asking:

Any opinions on either of these two fairly inexpensive cassette decks?
Or opinions on one's superior value over the other?

This is an old link (1995), but it has some information and opinions about
cassette decks on it:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~mleone/gdea...ide/index.html

I have some Marantz SD-63s that I bought for $50 each. Great shape, and
sound quite good. Nothing is adjustable from the outside since they are
consumer oriented units.

Doug

Scott Dorsey

Roscoe East wrote:
Google search reveals nothing conclusive, or current, so I'm asking:

Any opinions on either of these two fairly inexpensive cassette decks?
Or opinions on one's superior value over the other?

It's killing me to even have to buy a cassette deck. And it's killing
me to not be considering a state-of-the-art machine (if such a thing
isn't an oxymoron), but it just seems ludicrous to spend $1100 on a
122mkIII or whatever just to be able to transcribe 20 year old tapes.
So I'm looking for a deck that will sound good on playback, be able to
record decently for the 1 out of 30 clients who still require it, and
hopefully last long enough to be the last cassette deck I ever have to
buy.

If you are buying it to transcribe old tapes, look at the head assembly
and pick the machine that will make it most easy to adjust the azimuth
during playback.

Also, you should know that you can get a Tascam 122 on the used market
for under $200 these days. Make sure the heads are good, change all the
belts (and if it's a Mk I, replace the eject button), and you'll have
a machine that beats out all of the cheapies. Azimuth adjustment on it
is mildly annoying, but not too bad.
William Sommerwerck

Sorry to scare you, but "ideally" you should have an (ouch!) Nakamichi Dragon.
It automatically adjusts its azimuth to the tape you're playing.

With respect to the TASCAM and Sony... I've owned both TEAC and Sony equipment,
and have found TEAC recorders to have a drier, "flatter" sound. Sony is better,
in my book. Of course, you won't know until you listen.

Edi Zubovic

On 30 Oct 2003 06:35:12 -0800, (Roscoe East)
wrote:

Google search reveals nothing conclusive, or current, so I'm asking:

Any opinions on either of these two fairly inexpensive cassette decks?
Or opinions on one's superior value over the other?

It's killing me to even have to buy a cassette deck. And it's killing
me to not be considering a state-of-the-art machine (if such a thing
isn't an oxymoron), but it just seems ludicrous to spend $1100 on a
122mkIII or whatever just to be able to transcribe 20 year old tapes.
So I'm looking for a deck that will sound good on playback, be able to
record decently for the 1 out of 30 clients who still require it, and
hopefully last long enough to be the last cassette deck I ever have to
buy.

If I may suggest a budget version for old tapes transfer, try Technics
RS-AZ7 if you find it (seems to be not produced any more,
unfortunately, only RS- AZ6, which is a somewhat scaled down AZ7 ie.
hasn't so-called "Play Direct" function which is the direc output from
playback head, close-tolerance elements at the signal path and some
other not so important things).

This I suggest because it has a magneto-resistive playback head with
its electronics; a different approach to the playback and I am
satisfied with what it can pull out from even poor and old recorded
cassette tapes. If you remove the door lid, you can fix the azimut by
a trimming screwdriver -- but it's not built like a tank; it's
consumer plastics so if you mind correcting the azimuth frequently (I
think you do), then try some self-adjusting Nakamichi. Or a Tandberg
top-of-the-line, if you find it but hmm, it's scarce and a class by
itself...

Edi Zubovic, Crikvenica, Croatia

Marc Wielage

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 6:35:12 -0800, Roscoe East wrote
(in message ) :

Any opinions on either of these two fairly inexpensive cassette decks?
Or opinions on one's superior value over the other?

--------------------------------snip--------------------------------

The best cassette deck I've found for playback is the Nakamichi CR-7A, which
was fairly successful in the mid-to-late 1980s.

This deck is unique in that it has a front panel knob for manually adjusting
head azimuth. You "tune" the head alignment just by turning the knob and
listening for best high frequency response. Also, Nak's unique transport
pushes the cassette pressure pad out of the way, so it won't matter as much
if the tapes are old or the cassette shell parts are beginning to
deteriorate.

The wow & flutter specs on the deck are top-notch. Also, to answer some of
Nakamichi's critics, this deck does not have the so-called non-standard EQ of
some of their earlier machines.

I see used CR-7A's up on eBay all the time for anywhere from $300-$600,
depending on condition. For that price, I think it's a bargain (given that
it originally retailed for closer to $2000).

--MFW

Pooh Bear

Marc Wielage wrote:

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 6:35:12 -0800, Roscoe East wrote
(in message ) :

Any opinions on either of these two fairly inexpensive cassette decks?
Or opinions on one's superior value over the other?

--------------------------------snip--------------------------------

The best cassette deck I've found for playback is the Nakamichi CR-7A, which
was fairly successful in the mid-to-late 1980s.

snip

Somewhat bizarrely, the best cassette playback deck for playback I've come across
( aside from several Nakamichis ) is the Philips DCC 300 !

A certain Uk hi-fi 'cheaper deals' retailer bought up the last of the stock and
sold them for silly money. I was therefore tempted to play. A digital recording
on one is pretty good but sadly I've found that the tapes lose their magnetism.
Not enough coercivity I guess. BASF should be shot. Too late, they sold the tape
business to Emtec !

Anyway, in passing, I found the replay of existing analogue tapes was exemplary.
Those digital heads must have been well aligned. Most natural sound I've ever
heard off cassette.

Nice remote control too.

Graham

am

Default What about the Revox B215?

It's killing me to even have to buy a cassette deck. And it's killing
me to not be considering a state-of-the-art machine (if such a thing
isn't an oxymoron), but it just seems ludicrous to spend $1100 on a
122mkIII or whatever just to be able to transcribe 20 year old tapes.
So I'm looking for a deck that will sound good on playback, be able to
record decently for the 1 out of 30 clients who still require it, and
hopefully last long enough to be the last cassette deck I ever have to
buy.

I don't know about the Sony.

It seems you already know about the Tascams.
The MkIIs are as good as the MkIIIs, except a bit cheaper. _Everyone_ wants
the MkIIIs. ;-)
I seem to remember the transports of the MkIs having problems.

Some people have suggested Naks. Don't bother with them, unless you enjoy
constant maintenance. They are good for caring audiophiles, but hopeless for
the daily grind of a studio..

Have you considered a Studer Revox B215?
These were favourites of many studios because apart from sounding fabulous,
they were indestructible, requiring little maintenance.
Big and _heavy_, about 20kg (AFAICR). Unlike Naks, these German beasts were
built to last.
I owned one until about two years ago.
Thinking I would never need to deal with cassettes again, I foolishly sold
it.

-m

Scott Dorsey

In article , am wrote:

It seems you already know about the Tascams.
The MkIIs are as good as the MkIIIs, except a bit cheaper. _Everyone_ wants
the MkIIIs. ;-)
I seem to remember the transports of the MkIs having problems.

The belts break, the button assemblies fail, and the eject buttons go bad.
I have a bunch of the original ones, and they are fine as long as you keep
these three things in mind. And the originals sell for next to nothing on
the used market.

Some people have suggested Naks. Don't bother with them, unless you enjoy
constant maintenance. They are good for caring audiophiles, but hopeless for
the daily grind of a studio..

These days, cassette decks don't get much heavy use in the studio... if you
want something for the occasional transcription job, the Naks might be a good
choice.

I used to put hundreds of hours a month on cassette decks, just doing reference
tapes. It's probably been five years since I have done a reference tape. I
think I have used mine twice in the past year, both for playing back field
recordings made in the carribbean.

Have you considered a Studer Revox B215?
These were favourites of many studios because apart from sounding fabulous,
they were indestructible, requiring little maintenance.
Big and _heavy_, about 20kg (AFAICR). Unlike Naks, these German beasts were
built to last.
I owned one until about two years ago.
Thinking I would never need to deal with cassettes again, I foolishly sold
it.

They are Swiss, and they are pretty well-made too. But they also are a pain
to do azimuth adjustment on the fly with, much like the Tascams.