Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Default Higher education as a pyramid scheme.

Higher education as a pyramid scheme.

"From The Atlantic, an anonymous article by a Professor X, who teaches

English 101 at a couple of unselective colleges to people who can't learn
to form coherent paragraphs:

In the Basement of the Ivory Tower

The idea that a university education is for everyone is a destructive
myth. An instructor at a college of last resort explains why.

Much of modern higher education today has many of the hallmarks of a
pyramid scheme -- Elite English professors were paid by Professor X. (via
grad school tuition) to get his Ph.D. which is only good for teaching the
unteachable -- except that nobody's getting rich."

http://isteve.blogspot.com/2008/05/h...id-scheme.html

June 2008 Atlantic Monthly

The idea that a university education is for everyone is a destructive
myth. An instructor at a college of last resort explains why.

by Professor X
In the Basement of the Ivory Tower

"I work part-time in the evenings as an adjunct instructor of English. I

teach two courses, Introduction to College Writing (English 101) and
Introduction to College Literature (English 102), at a small private
college and at a community college. The campuses are physically
lovelyquiet havens of ornate stonework and columns, Gothic Revival
archways, sweeping quads, and tidy Victorian scalloping. Students chat or
examine their cell phones or study languidly under spreading trees. Balls
click faintly against »

bats on the athletic fields. Inside the arts and humanities building, my
students and I discuss Shakespeare, Dubliners, poetic rhythms, and Edward
Said. We might seem, at first glance, to be enacting some sort of college
idyll. We could be at Harvard. But this is not Harvard, and our classes
are no idyll. Beneath the surface of this serene and scholarly
mise-en-scène roil waters of frustration and bad feeling, for these
colleges teem with students who are in over their heads.

I work at colleges of last resort. For many of my students, college was
not a goal they spent years preparing for, but a place they landed in.
Those I teach dont come up in the debates about adolescent
overachievers and cutthroat college admissions. Mine are the students
whose applications show indifferent grades and have blank spaces where the
extracurricular activities would go. They chose their college based not on
the U.S. News & World Report rankings but on MapQuest; in their ideal
academic geometry, college is located at a convenient spot between work
and home. I can relate, for it was exactly this line of thinking that
dictated where I sent my teaching résumé.

Some of their high-school transcripts are newly minted, others decades
old. Many of my students have returned to college after some manner of
life interregnum: a year or two of post-high-school dissolution, or a
large swath of simple middle-class existence, 20 years of the demands of
home and family. They work during the day and come to class in the
evenings. I teach young men who must amass a certain number of credits
before they can become police officers or state troopers, lower-echelon
health-care workers who need credits to qualify for raises, and municipal
employees who require college-level certification to advance at work.

My students take English 101 and English 102 not because they want to but
because they must. Both colleges I teach at require that all students, no
matter what their majors or career objectives, pass these two courses. For
many of my students, this is difficult. Some of the young guys, the
police-officers-to-be, have wonderfully open faces across which play their
every passing emotion, and when we start reading Araby or Barn
Burning, their boredom quickly becomes apparent. They fidget; they prop
their heads on their arms; they yawn and sometimes appear to grimace in
pain, as though they had been tasered. Their eyes implo How could you
do this to me?

The goal of English 101 is to instruct students in the sort of expository
writing that theoretically will be required across the curriculum. My
students must venture the compare-and-contrast paper, the argument paper,
the process-analysis paper (which explains how some action is
performedas a lab report might), and the dreaded research paper,
complete with parenthetical citations and a listing of works cited, all in
Modern Language Association format. In 102, we read short stories, poetry,
and Hamlet, and we take several stabs at the only writing more dreaded
than the research paper: the absolutely despised Writing About
Literature.

Class time passes in a flashfor me, anyway, if not always for my
students. I love trying to convey to a class my passion for literature, or
the immense satisfaction a writer can feel when he or she nails a point.
When I am at my best, and the students are in an attentive
moodgenerally, early in the semesterthe room crackles with positive
energy. Even the cops-to-be feel driven to succeed in the class, to read
and love the great books, to explore potent themes, to write well.

The bursting of our collective bubble comes quickly. A few weeks into the
semester, the students must start actually writing papers, and I must
start grading them. Despite my enthusiasm, despite their thoughtful nods
of agreement and what I have interpreted as moments of clarity, it turns
out that in many cases it has all come to naught.

Remarkably few of my students can do well in these classes. Students
routinely fail; some fail multiple times, and some will never pass,
because they cannot write a coherent sentence.

In each of my courses, we discuss thesis statements and topic sentences,
the need for precision in vocabulary, why economy of language is
desirable, what constitutes a compelling subject. I explain, I give
examples, I cheerlead, I cajole, but each evening, when the class is over
and I come down from my teaching high, I inevitably lose faith in the
task, as Im sure my students do. I envision the lot of us driving home,
solitary scholars in our cars, growing sadder by the mile.

Our textbook boils effective writing down to a series of steps. It devotes
pages and pages to the composition of a compare-and-contrast essay, with
lots of examples and tips and checklists. Develop a plan of
organization and stick to it, the text chirrups not so helpfully. Of
course any student who can, does, and does so automatically, without the
textbooks directive. For others, this seems an impossible task. Over
the course of 15 weeks, some of my best writers improve a little.
Sometimes my worst writers improve too, though they rarely, if ever,
approach base-level competence.

How I envy professors in other disciplines! How appealing seems the
straightforwardness of their task! These are the properties of a cell
membrane, kid. Memorize em, and be ready to spit em back at me. The
biology teacher also enjoys the psychic ease of grading multiple-choice
tests. Answers are right or wrong. The grades cannot be questioned.
Quantifying the value of a piece of writing, however, is intensely
subjective, and English teachers are burdened with discretion. (My
students seem to believe that my discretion is limitless. Some of them
come to me at the conclusion of a course and matter-of-factly ask that I
change a failing grade because they need to graduate this semester or
because they worked really hard in the class or because they need to pass
in order to receive tuition reimbursement from their employer.)

I wonder, sometimes, at the conclusion of a course, when I fail nine out
of 15 students, whether the college will send me a note either (1)
informing me of a serious bottleneck in the march toward commencement and
demanding that I pass more students, or (2) commending me on my fiscal
ingenuitymy high failure rate forces students to pay for classes two or
three times over.

What actually happens is that nothing happens. I feel no pressure from the
colleges in either direction. My department chairpersons, on those rare
occasions when I see them, are friendly, even warm. They dont mention
all those students who have failed my courses, and I dont bring them
up. There seems, as is often the case in colleges, to be a huge gulf
between academia and reality. No one is thinking about the larger
implications, let alone the morality, of admitting so many students to
classes they cannot possibly pass. The colleges and the students and I are
bobbing up and down in a great wave of societal forcessocial optimism on
a large scale, the sense of college as both a universal right and a need,
financial necessity on the part of the colleges and the students alike,
the desire to maintain high academic standards while admitting marginal
studentsthat have coalesced into a mini-tsunami of difficulty. No one
has drawn up the flowchart and seen that, although more-widespread college
admission is a bonanza for the colleges and nice for the students and makes
the entire United States of America feel rather pleased with itself, there
is one point of irreconcilable conflict in the system, and that is the
moment when the adjunct instructor, who by the nature of his job teaches
the worst students, must ink the F on that first writing assignment.

Recently, I gave a student a failing grade on her research paper. She was
a woman in her 40s; I will call her Ms. L. She looked at her paper, and my
comments, and the grade. I cant believe it, she said softly. I
was so proud of myself for having written a college paper.

From the beginning of our association vis-*-vis the research paper, I
knew that there would be trouble with Ms. L.

When I give out this assignment, I usually bring the class to the college
library for a lesson on Internet-based research. I ask them about their
computer skills, and some say they have none, fessing up to being computer
illiterate and saying, timorously, how hopeless they are at that sort of
thing. It often turns out, though, that many of them have at least sent
and received e-mail and Googled their neighbors, and it doesnt take me
long to demonstrate how to search for journal articles in such databases
as Academic Search Premier and JSTOR.

Ms. L., it was clear to me, had never been on the Internet. She quite
possibly had never sat in front of a computer. The concept of a link was
news to her. She didnt know that if something was blue and underlined,
you could click on it. She was preserved in the amber of 1990, struggling
with the basic syntax of the World Wide Web. She peered intently at the
screen and chewed a fingernail. She was flummoxed.

I had responsibilities to the rest of my students, so only when the class
ended could I sit with her and work on some of the basics. It didnt go
well. She wasnt absorbing anything. The wall had gone up, the wall
known to every teacher at every level: the wall of defeat and hopelessness
and humiliation, the wall that is an impenetrable barrier to learning. She
wasnt hearing a word I said.

You might want to get some extra help, I told her. You can
schedule a private session with the librarian.

Ill get it, she said. I just need a little time.

You have some computer-skills deficits, I told her. You should
address them as soon as you can. I dont have cause to use much
educational jargon, but deficits has often come in handy. It conveys the
seriousness of the situation, the students jaw-dropping lack of
ability, without being judgmental. I tried to jostle her along. You
should schedule that appointment right now. The librarian is at the desk.

I realize I have a lot of work to do, she said.

Our dialogue had turned oblique, as though we now inhabited a Pinter
play.

The research-paper assignment is meant to teach the fundamental mechanics
of the thing: how to find sources, summarize or quote them, and cite them,
all the while not plagiarizing. Students must develop a strong thesis, not
just write what is called a passive report, the sort of thing one
knocks out in fifth grade on Thomas Edison. This time around, the students
were to elucidate the positions of scholars on two sides of a historical
controversy. Why did Truman remove MacArthur? Did the United States
covertly support the construction of the Berlin Wall? What really happened
in the Gulf of Tonkin? Their job in the paper, as I explained it, was to
take my arm and introduce me as a stranger to scholars A, B, and C, who
stood on one side of the issue, and to scholars D, E, and F, who were
firmly on the otheras though they were hosting a party.

A future state trooper snorted. Thats some dull party, he said.

At our next meeting after class in the library, Ms. L. asked me whether
she could do her paper on abortion. What exactly, I asked, was the
historical controversy? Well, she replied, whether it should be allowed.
She was stuck, I realized, in the well-worn groove of assignments she had
done in high school. I told her that I thought the abortion question was
more of an ethical dilemma than a historical controversy.

Ill have to figure it all out, she said.

She switched her topic a half-dozen times; perhaps it would be fairer to
say that she never really came up with one. I wondered whether I should
just give her one, then decided against it. Devising a topic was part of
the assignment.

What about gun control? she asked.

I sighed. You could write, I told her, about a particular piece of
firearms-related legislation. Historians might disagree, I said, about
certain aspects of the bills drafting. Remember, though, the paper must
be grounded in history. It could not be a discussion of the pros and cons
of gun control.

All right, she said softly.

Needless to say, the paper she turned in was a discussion of the pros and
cons of gun control. At least, I think that was the subject. There was no
real thesis. The paper often lapsed into incoherence. Sentences broke off
in the middle of a line and resumed on the next one, with the first word
inappropriately capitalized. There was some wavering between single- and
double-spacing. She did quote articles, but cited only databaseswhere
were the journals themselves? The paper was also too short: a bad job, and
such small portions.

I cant believe it, she said when she received her F. I was so
proud of myself for having written a college paper.

She most certainly hadnt written a college paper, and she was a long
way from doing so. Yet there she was in college, paying lots of tuition
for the privilege of pursuing a degree, which she very likely needed to
advance at work. Her deficits dont make her a bad person or even
unintelligent or unusual. Many people cannot write a research paper, and
few have to do so in their workaday life. But lets be frank: she
wasnt working at anything resembling a college level.

I gave Ms. L. the F and slept poorly that night. Some of the failing
grades I issue gnaw at me more than others. In my ears rang her plaintive
words, so emblematic of the tough spot in which we both now found
ourselves. Ms. L. had done everything that American culture asked of her.
She had gone back to school to better herself, and she expected to be
rewarded for it, not slapped down. She had failed not, as some students
do, by being absent too often or by blowing off assignments. She simply
was not qualified for college. What exactly, I wondered, was I grading? I
thought briefly of passing Ms. L., of slipping her the old gentlewomans
C-minus. But I couldnt do it. It wouldnt be fair to the other
students. By passing Ms. L., I would be eroding the standards of the
school for which I worked. Besides, I nurse a healthy ration of paranoia.
What if she were a plant from The New York Times doing a story on the
declining standards of the nations colleges? In my minds eye, the
front page of a newspaper spun madly, as in old movies, coming to rest to
reveal a damning headline:

THIS IS A C?

Illiterate Mess Garners Average Grade

Adjunct Says Student Needed to Pass, Tried Hard

No, I would adhere to academic standards, and keep myself off the front
page.

We think of college professors as being profoundly indifferent to the
grades they hand out. My own professors were fairly haughty and aloof,
showing little concern for the petty worries, grades in particular, of
their students. There was an enormous distance between students and
professors. The full-time, tenured professors at the colleges where I
teach may likewise feel comfortably separated from those whom they
instruct. Their students, the ones who attend class during daylight hours,
tend to be younger than mine. Many of them are in school on their
parents dime. Professors can fail these young people with emotional
impunity because many such failures are the students own fault: too
much time spent texting, too little time with the textbooks.

But my students and I are of a piece. I could not be aloof, even if I
wanted to be. Our presence together in these evening classes is evidence
that we all have screwed up. Im working a second job; theyre trying
desperately to get to a place where they dont have to. All any of us
wants is a free evening. Many of my students are in the vicinity of my own
age. Whatever our chronological ages, we are all adults, by which I mean
thoroughly saddled with children and mortgages and sputtering careers. We
all show up for class exhausted from working our full-time jobs. We carry
knapsacks and briefcases overspilling with the contents of our hectic
lives. We smell of the food we have eaten that day, and of the food we
carry with us for the evening. We reek of coffee and tuna oil. The rooms
in which we study have been used all day, and are filthy. Candy wrappers
litter the aisles. We pile our trash daintily atop filled garbage cans.

During breaks, my students scatter to various corners and niches of the
building, whip out their cell phones, and try to maintain a home life.
Burdened with their own assignments, they gamely try to stay on top of
their childrens. Which problems do you have to do? Thats not too
many. Finish that and then do the spelling No, you cant watch
Greys Anatomy.

Adult education, nontraditional education, education for returning
studentswhatever you want to call itis a substantial profit center
for many colleges. Like factory owners, school administrators are
delighted with this idea of mounting a second shift of learning in their
classrooms, in the evenings, when the full-time students are busy with
such regular extracurricular pursuits of higher education as reading
Facebook and playing beer pong. If colleges could find a way to mount a
third, graveyard shift, as Henry Fords Willow Run did at the height of
the Second World War, I believe that they would.

There is a sense that the American workforce needs to be more professional
at every level. Many jobs that never before required college now call for
at least some post-secondary course work. School custodians, those who run
the boilers and spread synthetic sawdust on vomit, may not need
collegebut the people who supervise them, who decide which brand of
synthetic sawdust to procure, probably do. There is a sense that our bank
tellers should be college educated, and so should our medical-billing
techs, and our child-welfare officers, and our sheriffs and federal
marshals. We want the police officer who stops the car with the broken
taillight to have a nodding acquaintance with great literature. And when
all is said and done, my personal economic interest in booming college
enrollments aside, I dont think thats such a boneheaded idea.
Reading literature at the college level is a route to spacious thinking,
to an acquaintance with certain profound ideas, that is of value to
anyone. Will having read Invisible Man make a police officer less likely
to indulge in racial profiling? Will a familiarity with Steinbeck make him
more sympathetic to the plight of the poor, so that he might understand the
lives of those who simply cannot get their taillights fixed? Will it
benefit the correctional officer to have read The Autobiography of Malcolm
X? The health-care worker Arrowsmith? Should the child-welfare officer read
Plaths Daddy? Such one-to-one correspondences probably dont
hold. But although I may be biased, being an English instructor and all, I
cant shake the sense that reading literature is informative and
broadening and ultimately good for you. If I should fall ill, I suppose I
would rather the hospital billing staff had read The Pickwick Papers,
particularly the parts set in debtors prison.

America, ever-idealistic, seems wary of the vocational-education track. We
are not comfortable limiting anyones options. Telling someone that
college is not for him seems harsh and classist and British, as though we
were sentencing him to a life in the coal mines. I sympathize with this
stance; I subscribe to the American ideal. Unfortunately, it is with me
and my red pen that that ideal crashes and burns.

Sending everyone under the sun to college is a noble initiative. Academia
is all for it, naturally. Industry is all for it; some companies even help
with tuition costs. Government is all for it; the truly needy have lots of
opportunities for financial aid. The media applauds ittry to imagine
someone speaking out against the idea. To oppose such a scheme of
inclusion would be positively churlish. But one piece of the puzzle
hasnt been figured into the equation, to use the sort of phrase I
encounter in the papers submitted by my English 101 students. The
zeitgeist of academic possibility is a great inverted pyramid, and its
rather sharp point is poking, uncomfortably, a spot just about midway
between my shoulder blades.

For I, who teach these low-level, must-pass, no-multiple-choice-test
classes, am the one who ultimately delivers the news to those unfit for
college: that they lack the most-basic skills and have no sense of the
volume of work required; that they are in some cases barely literate; that
they are so bereft of schemata, so dispossessed of contexts in which to
place newly acquired knowledge, that every bit of information simply
raises more questions. They are not ready for high school, some of them,
much less for college.

I am the man who has to lower the hammer.

We may look mild-mannered, we adjunct instructors, but we are academic
button men. I roam the halls of academe like a modern Coriolanus bearing
sword and grade book, a thing of blood, whose every motion / Was timed
with dying cries.

I knew that Ms. L.s paper would fail. I knew it that first night in the
library. But I couldnt tell her that she wasnt ready for an
introductory English class. I wouldnt be saving her from the
humiliation of defeat by a class she simply couldnt handle. Id be a
sexist, ageist, intellectual snob.

In her own mind, Ms. L. had triumphed over adversity. In her own mind, she
was a feel-good segment on Oprah. Everyone wants to triumph. But not
everyone canin fact, most cant. If they could, it wouldnt be any
kind of a triumph at all. Never would I want to cheapen the
accomplishments of those who really have conquered college, who were able
to get past their deficits and earn a diploma, maybe even climbing onto
the college honor roll. That is truly something.

One of the things I try to do on the first night of English 102 is relate
the literary techniques we will study to novels that the students have
already read. I try to find books familiar to everyone. This has so far
proven impossible. My students dont read much, as a rule, and though I
think of them monolithically, they dont really share a culture. To Kill
a Mockingbird? Nope. (And I thought everyone had read that!) Animal Farm?
No. If they have read it, they dont remember it. The Outsiders? The
Chocolate War? No and no. Charlottes Web? Youd think so, but no. So
then I expand the exercise to general works of narrative art, meaning
movies, but that doesnt work much better. Oddly, there are no movies
that they all have seenwell, except for one. Theyve all seen The
Wizard of Oz. Some have caught it multiple times. So we work with the old
warhorse of a quest narrative. The farmhands early conversation
illustrates foreshadowing. The witch melts at the climax. Theme? Hands fly
up. Everybody knows that oneperhaps all too well. Dorothy learns that
she can do anything she puts her mind to and that all the tools she needs
to succeed are already within her. I skip the denouement: the
intellectually ambitious scarecrow proudly mangles the Pythagorean theorem
and is awarded a questionable diploma in a dreamland far removed from
reality. Thats art holding up a mirror all too closely to our own
poignant scholarly endeavors."

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200806/college

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
outaudio.com,
"BretLudwig" wrote:

Higher education as a pyramid scheme.

"From The Atlantic, an anonymous article by a Professor X, who teaches

English 101 at a couple of unselective colleges to people who can't learn
to form coherent paragraphs:

In the Basement of the Ivory Tower

I agree with some of this. Not everyone needs higher education. But
everyone deserves a shot at it if they have strong desire. Keep the
standards high, help those who desire it and will work hard, then let
the chips fall where they may.

That said, the "basement" of the system shouldn't be scoffed at. The
community colleges provide many people (of all ages) their best chance
at success. And their best second chance as well. Community college
faculties are among the best TEACHING faculties one can find. And in
most locations, the price can't be beat. In a typical community college
class, one can find brilliant students who are there saving money before
they transfer to some great university, an ambitious 22 y.o. freshman
who served her/his country and is now entering the higher ed system, a
35 y.o. divorced mother who married right out of high school (or dropped
out) who is gaining work skills that will positively affect her income
for the rest of her life, a 40 year old homeless man living in his car
in a dark corner of the campus, attempting to change his life.

I choose to teach at a community college (and am fortunate enough to be
able to...the jobs are hard to get) BECAUSE of the above. I taught at a
4-year school for 5 years, and it didn't do for me what teaching at the
community college does.

The last stat I read indicated that for every dollar of expenditure by
the California community colleges, over $4 is generated in the economy.
This year, with California's bad economic situation and budget cuts,
enrollment in the state university system (the "middle tier" of the
system) enrollment will be cut by about 10,000 students, and the
community colleges will lose about 50,000 students. The economy will
therefore suffer further.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 23, 7:20*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
outaudio.com,

*"BretLudwig" wrote:
Higher education as a pyramid scheme.

"From The Atlantic, an anonymous article by a Professor X, who teaches
English 101 at a couple of unselective colleges to people who can't learn
to form coherent paragraphs:

* * In the Basement of the Ivory Tower

I agree with some of this. *Not everyone needs higher education. *But
everyone deserves a shot at it if they have strong desire. *Keep the
standards high,

I don't know why the standards of admission are so high that very
qualified US students can't find a seat in our universities while
we bring in 1000s of foreign students every year.

Huh? Where's the evidence of that?

I think the standards of admission are too strict.

I don't. If you can't get into a UC school, there are the CSU schools.
Fine places, in general.

Strict standards for staying in are fine,

Which is actually what I meant. Sorry for being unclear.

but the admissions
process for UC schools is completely f'd up.

http://www.collegeadmissions.ws/california.html

The idea that its a bad thing for 14.4% to qualify is IMO
ridiculous.

Why?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 9:02*am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

*ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
outaudio.com,

*"BretLudwig" wrote:
Higher education as a pyramid scheme.

"From The Atlantic, an anonymous article by a Professor X, who
teaches
English 101 at a couple of unselective colleges to people who can't
learn
to form coherent paragraphs:

* * In the Basement of the Ivory Tower

I agree with some of this. *Not everyone needs higher education. *But
everyone deserves a shot at it if they have strong desire. *Keep the
standards high,

*I don't know why the standards of admission are so high that very
qualified US students can't find a seat in our universities while
we bring in 1000s of foreign students every year.

Huh? *Where's the evidence of that?

Commissions paid for foreign students.

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V128/N26/college.html

Do you know that USC is 20% foreign students?

http://www.iie.org/Content/Navigatio...s/New_Enrollme
nt_of_Foreign_Students_in_the_U_S__Climbs_in_2005_ 06.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14034413

Yes, I'm aware of this, but it doesn't address your statement that
qualified U.S. students can't find a seat in our universities.

Of course these kids don't have to do a couple years in community
college before being admitted so you're not likely to see many.

Believe me, we see quite a few.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

ScottW wrote:
: Look at the huge gap between guaranteed admission and qualified
: UC admission standards. Why aren't all the qualified guaranteed admission?

Because the state needs to decide if it wishes to invest in education.
At the CSU, UC, and community colleges, the amount of money it takes
to educate a student exceeds what is taken in through tuition and fees.
The balance is covered by taxpayer money. Since there is only a limited
amount of money budgeted to higher education, there are only a certain
number of students the system can service.

The state of California is in dire straits because of a growing demand
for stilled workers in engineering and computer science, without enough
graduates to fill that demand. At the same time, California is cutting
the budgets of higher education. The state needs to decide if it wishes
to invest in education, if it is to guarantee admission to all
qualified students.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

I should add that there is another factor at play as well.
The various disciplines can have considerably different costs
per student. For example, equipping a program that offers a
degree in Nursing is much more expensive than equipping a
History department. Yet tuition is the same regardless of major.
So there is a huge incentive for schools to take in more History
majors than Nursing students, even though there is a huge demand
for Nurses and very little demand for historians. Right now, my
campus is turning away droves of qualified Nursing applicants,
because there simply isn't enough money to accept them.

: Because the state needs to decide if it wishes to invest in education.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 9:02 am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20 pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
outaudio.com,

http://www.iie.org/Content/Navigatio...ases/New_Enrol
lme
nt_of_Foreign_Students_in_the_U_S__Climbs_in_2005_ 06.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14034413

Yes, I'm aware of this, but it doesn't address your statement that
qualified U.S. students can't find a seat in our universities.

Look at the huge gap between guaranteed admission and qualified
UC admission standards.
Why aren't all the qualified guaranteed admission?

For example

UC Santa Cruz denied over 7,000 qualified freshman applicants.

http://admissions.ucsc.edu/apply/froshNotAdmitted.cfm

"Were UC-eligible students denied admission?
Since we are a selective campus, the majority of our denied freshmen were
UC-eligible. "

ScottW

Eligible, but are they the most qualified?

Also, the foreign students pay a tuition rate that fully pays for their
education; IIRC about $25,000 for out of state, vs. about $7000 for in
state. With current budgets, the universities can't afford more
in-state students. And, it got a lot worse this year with the cuts.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
BretLudwig BretLudwig is offline

Some good questions are being asked here but a lot of necessary ones are
not, as well.

First, the primary reason there is a "shortage" of "qualified science and
engineering candidates" is because it's in industry's current perceived
interest to say that there is, so they can import H-1B candidates, smart
indentured servants microtomed from the stratified loaf of Third World
countries who will work for thirty or forty thousand dollars a year in
Silicon Valley. American students factor in this phenomenon when they
choose a major, and thereby a career field.

Why bust one's ass for five years (because that's how long the average
EE/CS major takes to get a BSCS or BSEE today) for a degree that unless
you are a top grad from a top school is going to get you offered primarily
glorified-salesman or glorified-technician positions when another year or
two will get you law or pharmacy school or a MBA?

GET RID of H-1B and see the situation improve.

A broader consideration is the sheer percentages of people going to
college today. Fifty years ago it was something like 25%, and most
colleges were still colleges: there was considerable rigor in even
liberal arts classes. Today, it's the accepted wisdom that everyone needs
to go to college, and that by doing so the economy will benefit because
more people will be able to do better paying, higher level work.

Boy is that a stupid idea.

What has resulted is twofold:first, employers increasingly demand a
college degree for consideration for jobs historically high school
graduates held, and secondly, the level of needed achievement in colleges
has largely-except for the elite schools-plummeted. Serious, well heeled
employers then up the ante by considering only graduates from "elite" or
favored schools.

Who benefits? Educrats, obviously. The upper crust of cognitive elites
whose elite school status gives them a competitive edge-a Harvard graduate
can find work in competitive towns like New York and Boston from a pool of
employers who simply don't exist for graduates of non-Ivy League schools.
And a few at the bottom whse careers are pressurized by this Peter
Principle and obtain undemanding makework jobs in government and
institutions open only to college graduates but which no seriously capable
and learned person would put up with, much less want. (Yes Virginia, the
Chauncey Gardners and Gilligans of the world are not without demand in the
job market. George W. Bush is living proof.)

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/group/rec.audio.opinion/
More information at http://www.talkaboutaudio.com/faq.html

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

BretLudwig wrote:
: First, the primary reason there is a "shortage" of "qualified science and
: engineering candidates" is because it's in industry's current perceived
: interest to say that there is, so they can import H-1B candidates, smart
: indentured servants microtomed from the stratified loaf of Third World
: countries who will work for thirty or forty thousand dollars a year in
: Silicon Valley.

That doesn't explain why we see two or three times as many businesses at
our career fairs even than during the dot-com peak, pleading with us to
provide them with more graduates, while the number of graduates we have
to offer continues to decline. A big part of THAT problem is public
perception of the job market. That's why I used Nursing as an example.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 9:02 am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20 pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
outaudio.com,

http://www.iie.org/Content/Navigatio...eleases/New_En
rol
lme
nt_of_Foreign_Students_in_the_U_S__Climbs_in_2005_ 06.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14034413

Yes, I'm aware of this, but it doesn't address your statement that
qualified U.S. students can't find a seat in our universities.

Look at the huge gap between guaranteed admission and qualified
UC admission standards.
Why aren't all the qualified guaranteed admission?

For example

UC Santa Cruz denied over 7,000 qualified freshman applicants.

http://admissions.ucsc.edu/apply/froshNotAdmitted.cfm

"Were UC-eligible students denied admission?
Since we are a selective campus, the majority of our denied freshmen were
UC-eligible. "

ScottW

Eligible, but are they the most qualified?

I really don't give a **** about that when it comes to foreign
students. Admit all the US qualified and give whats left over
to the foreigners.

Also, the foreign students pay a tuition rate that fully pays for their
education; IIRC about $25,000 for out of state, vs. about $7000 for in
state.

That is highly debatable.
They pay for the current cost of the current
seat. They don't pay a rate that pays for the capacity increase to provide
a seat for the US student they displaced.

Foreign students don't take enough seats that they impact facilities, if
that's what you mean. The $25000 or so pays for their whole ticket, as
opposed to the $7000 for in-state students. We can't afford more
students paying $7000 for education that costs $25000 with the current
budget.

With current budgets, the universities can't afford more
in-state students. And, it got a lot worse this year with the cuts.

Ca. education budgets are beyond f'd up. But this crisis isn't
unforeseen. The teachers union continues to make Ca. teachers
the highest paid in the nation

Usually 1st or 2nd, yes. AND usually 1st or 2nd in cost of living.

while Ca. policy doesn't foster
the tax base required.

Interesting Ca. projects job growth in private education to
far surpass public education. A good think IMO.

Like at USC with all of those foreign students? ;-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn said:

Ca. education budgets are beyond f'd up. But this crisis isn't
unforeseen. The teachers union continues to make Ca. teachers
the highest paid in the nation

Usually 1st or 2nd, yes. AND usually 1st or 2nd in cost of living.

I have a question for Scottie: In the past, you've denigrated people who
only earn enough to get by. Now you seem to be bitching about people who
try to increase their wages. So is it bad to settle for less, or is it bad
to strive for more?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Barkety-barkety-yappety-yap.

I have a question for Scottie: In the past, you've denigrated people who
only earn enough to get by.

No, they only worked enough to get by. Once again your reading
skills
fall

far short
of your supposed writing

skills.

That's quite the gnat's hair of a difference you've defined. At what point
do you decide, in your great wisdom, that a person has worked enough but
not earned enough?

BTW, in which illustrious school of literature is crap like
bark bark yap yap considered quality?

Woof! Snarl! Growl-yap-yap!

Now you seem to be bitching about people who
try to increase their wages. So is it bad to settle for less, or is it bad
to strive for more?

Inability to answer a simple question noted. Of course, the question does
highlight the chaos that infuses your 'mind', so I'm not surprised you
snipped it before you bit your own ears off in a fit of White Male Anger.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

George M. Middius wrote:
: Do you work at a university or a trade school? The idea of employers
: placing orders for workers with specific training is bizarre to an
: outsider.

A university. I don't know where I said "specific training". Asking for
more graduates with degrees in the various engineering disciplines hardly
qualifies as "placing orders for workers with specific training". We do
have career fairs each semester where employers interview students nearing
completion.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 24, 10:42*am, ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20*pm, Jenn wrote:

In article
outaudio.com,

*"BretLudwig" wrote:
Higher education as a pyramid scheme.

"From The Atlantic, an anonymous article by a Professor X, who teaches
English 101 at a couple of unselective colleges to people who can't learn
to form coherent paragraphs:

* * In the Basement of the Ivory Tower

I agree with some of this. *Not everyone needs higher education. *But
everyone deserves a shot at it if they have strong desire. *Keep the
standards high,

*I don't know why the standards of admission are so high that very
qualified US students can't find a seat in our universities while
we bring in 1000s of foreign students every year.

Any student can go to college, 2pid. Maybe not Stanford or Harvard,
but at some two or four year school.

Opening seats for non-US nationals at US colleges is a very good thing
because it's a less expensive way of exporting democracy. Presumably
those college-educated "furriners" will have an opportunity to
experience the benefits of our system and will perhaps bring a little
bit back with them. They may even be in a leadership position someday
in their own country.

It also has the benefit of exposing US students to diversity. Even
some on RAO might have benefitted from that.

Wars are entirely too expensive and they do not highlight the benefits
of our system nearly as well. ;-)

Lol
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] sgordon@changethisparttohardbat.com is offline

ScottW wrote:
: Education, like most government bureauocracies are full of waste.
: The total cost number you site has been spiraling ever higher at a
: rate of increase comparable to medical care and far outpacing
: inflation.

Of course there is waste. And do you think that cutting teacher's salary
is going to fix that? At most universities, the number of faculty, and
their salaries (adjusted for inflation) is going down, while the number
of administrators and their salaries are going up. Here, administrators
get yearly 10-15% raises, while teachers have to fight to get a 3% raise
periodically.

: Education has become one of the strongest political forces in Ca. and
: the teachers union has managed to make Ca. teachers the highest paid
: while being among the lowest performers in the nation.

You might want to look up the CPEC salary gap. If you're talking about
CSU or UC institutions, your numbers are backwards.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 24, 12:34*pm, "ScottW" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 9:02 am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20 pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
outaudio.com,

http://www.iie.org/Content/Navigatio...ssReleases/New...
nt_of_Foreign_Students_in_the_U_S__Climbs_in_2005_ 06.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14034413

Yes, I'm aware of this, but it doesn't address your statement that
qualified U.S. students can't find a seat in our universities.

*Look at the huge gap between guaranteed admission and qualified
UC admission standards.
Why aren't all the qualified guaranteed admission?

For example

UC Santa Cruz denied over 7,000 qualified freshman applicants.

http://admissions.ucsc.edu/apply/froshNotAdmitted.cfm

"Were UC-eligible students denied admission?
Since we are a selective campus, the majority of our denied freshmen were
UC-eligible. "

Do you have any idea how many qualified and eligible students are
denied access to our service academies, 2pid? Or Harvard or Stanford
or Yale? Or *any* other competitive school?

Your argument appears to be that absolutely anybody who is qualified
and wants to go to UC Santa Cruz should be admitted.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 11:47*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"ScottW" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
..
In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 9:02 am, Jenn wrote:
In article

,

ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20 pm, Jenn
wrote:
In article
outaudio.com
,

"BretLudwig" wrote:
[...]

That's ridiculous. When schools are operating at full capacity,
every seat taken displaces a qualified US student.
Additional capacity doesn't require a desk, it requires whole
buildings.

What college is operating at such a capacity IRT their physical plant?
At what college have foreign students caused such an impact?

*The $25000 or so pays for their whole ticket, as
opposed to the $7000 for in-state students. *We can't afford more
students paying $7000 for education that costs $25000 with the current
budget.

Education, like most government bureauocracies are full of waste.
The total cost number you site has been spiraling ever higher at a
rate of increase comparable to medical care and far outpacing
inflation.
The Cato institute had an interesting take, they blame spiraling gov't
funded student aid. The education bureauocracy has no real incentive
to hold the line on costs as students get more aid and education just
sucks it up giving them the same education for more.
Education has become one of the strongest political forces in Ca. and
the teachers union has managed to make Ca. teachers the highest paid
while being among the lowest performers in the nation.

Are you speaking of higher ed or K-12 now? In either case, what is your
evidence that CA teachers are "among the lowest performers in the
nation"?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 25, 11:03*am, ScottW wrote:
On May 24, 11:47*pm, Jenn wrote:

In article ,

*"ScottW" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 9:02 am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20 pm, Jenn wrote:
In article
outaudio..com,

"BretLudwig" wrote:
[...]

False assumption.

Additional capacity doesn't require a desk, it requires whole
buildings.

So because some poor US student cannot get in at a specific college,
that college should build more buildings. But because there are non-US
students there, they cannot afford to. Is that about it?

*The $25000 or so pays for their whole ticket, as
opposed to the $7000 for in-state students. *We can't afford more
students paying $7000 for education that costs $25000 with the current
budget.

* Education, like most government bureauocracies are full of waste.

I've even seen college professors with cell phones.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 25, 10:35*am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

*ScottW wrote:
On May 24, 11:47*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"ScottW" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
.
net.
..
In article

,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 9:02 am, Jenn
wrote:
In article

.com
,

ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20 pm, Jenn
wrote:
In article
outaudio
.com
,

http://www.iie.org/Content/Navigatio.../PressReleases
[...]

SDSU claims to be at capacity and routinely transfers students to
CSSM and has been doing so for quite a while.

http://advancement.sdsu.edu/marcomm/.../pr122001.html

So some students have to go a few miles up the road to San Marcos. They
are hardly being denied seats in the system.

[...]

Both.

*In either case, what is your
evidence that CA teachers are "among the lowest performers in the
nation"?

In price, Ca. teachers are number 1. Are they number 1 in
performance? No.

Again, what is your evidence for this IRT performance?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 25, 10:56*am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

*ScottW wrote:
On May 25, 10:35*am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

*ScottW wrote:
On May 24, 11:47*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"ScottW" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

.net
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

bal.
net.
..
In article

.com
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 9:02 am, Jenn
wrote:
In article

oups
.com
,

ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20 pm, Jenn

wrote:
In article
outa
udio
.com
,

http://www.iie.org/Content/Navigatio...room/PressRele

*

SDSU claims to be at capacity and routinely transfers students to
CSSM and has been doing so for quite a while.

*http://advancement.sdsu.edu/marcomm/.../pr122001.html

So some students have to go a few miles up the road to San Marcos. *They
are hardly being denied seats in the system.

San Marcos doesn't mirror SDSU in course offerring.
Getting sent up the road to a school about 40 miles away is a
royal PIA and not very green.

[...]

Here's one.

http://www.morganquitno.com/edrank.htm

Ca. a wonderful 46th.

Did you see their criteria?

http://www.morganquitno.com/edfact06.htm#FACTORS

Note how much of that is outside the teachers' influence.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn said:

Are you speaking of higher ed or K-12 now? In either case, what is your
evidence that CA teachers are "among the lowest performers in the
nation"?

;-)

Oh wait -- is that a serious question? OK, I'll play along: Which system
did Scottie Witlessmongrel "graduate" from?

;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 25, 7:25*pm, ScottW wrote:
On May 25, 11:35*am, Jenn wrote:

Note how much of that is outside the teachers' influence.

*I see you're not really interested in going to pupils test
scores to make a case for Ca. teachers.

I see you cannot counter Jenn's point.

Here, 2pid:

METHODOLOGY--This fifth Smartest State designation is awarded based on
21 factors chosen from Morgan Quitnos annual reference book,
Education State Rankings, 2006-2007. To calculate the Smartest State
rankings, the 21 factors were divided into two groups: those that are
negative for which a high ranking would be considered bad for a
state, and those that are positive for which a high ranking would be
considered good. Rates for each of the 21 factors were processed
through a formula that measures how a state compares to the national
average for a given category. The positive and negative nature of each
factor was taken into account as part of the formula. Once these
computations were made, the factors then were assigned equal weights.
These scores then were added together to determine a states final
score (SUM on the table above.) This way, states are assessed based
on how they stack up against the national average. The end result is
that the farther below the national average a states education
ranking is, the lower (and less smart) it ranks. The farther above the
national average, the higher (and smarter) a state ranks. This same
methodology is used for our annual Healthiest State, Safest and Most
Dangerous State and Safest/Dangerous City Awards.

Therefore, 2pid, such things as:

Special Education Pupil-Teacher Ratio (Table 339) -
Percent of Public Elementary and Secondary School Staff Who are School
District Administrators (Table 380) -
Average Class Size in Public Elementary Schools (Table 425) -
Average Class Size in Public Secondary Schools (Table 426) -
Median Pupil-Teacher Ratio in Public Primary Schools (Table 429) -
Median Pupil-Teacher Ratio in Public Middle Schools (Table 432) -
Median Pupil-Teacher Ratio in Public High Schools (Table 435) -
Public Elementary and Secondary School Revenue per $1,000 Personal
Income (Table 56) +
Percent of Public Elementary and Secondary School Current Expenditures
used for Instruction (Table 134) +
Percent of Population Graduated from High School (Table 171) +
Average Teacher Salary as a Percent of Average Annual Pay of All
Workers (Table 364) +
Average Daily Attendance as a Percent of Fall Enrollment in Public
Elementary and Secondary Schools (Table 398) +

are among those things that Jenn points out are not in a teacher's
control but given equal weight. California (a dumb state, but if you'd
move it would no doubt move up) is far below Massachusetts (a smart
state) in per-pupil spending, as it is compared to Vermont and most
(if not all) of the smart states. It appears that there's a very
strong correlation between per-pupil spending, class sizes, and
results. So I'm glad to see you advocate spending more money on
education.

http://ftp2.census.gov/govs/school/06f33pub.pdf

Would you please take the time to read and understand George's very
helpful post on writing style, and then try to apply it to a thought
that isn't totally stoopid?

TIA.

Lol
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 25, 11:35*am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

*ScottW wrote:
On May 25, 10:56*am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

*ScottW wrote:
On May 25, 10:35*am, Jenn wrote:
In article
,

*ScottW wrote:
On May 24, 11:47*pm, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"ScottW" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

obal
.net
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

cglo
bal.
net.
..
In article

oups
.com
,
ScottW wrote:

On May 24, 9:02 am, Jenn

wrote:
In article

legr
oups
.com
,

ScottW wrote:
On May 23, 7:20 pm, Jenn

wrote:
In article
ab
outa
udio
.com
,

http://www.iie.org/Content/Navigatio...ressroom/Press

*http://advancement.sdsu.edu/marcomm/...001/pr122001.h
[...]

Not to compare dissimilar situations, no. Do you see that?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
Igor Alexander wrote:

On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:20:04 -0700, Jenn
wrote:

That said, the "basement" of the system shouldn't be scoffed at. The
community colleges provide many people (of all ages) their best chance
at success. And their best second chance as well. Community college
faculties are among the best TEACHING faculties one can find. And in
most locations, the price can't be beat.

The problem is that whatever the quality of the education, a community
college certificate isn't generally taken as seriously as a university
degree. I've known people who, after doing community college, had to
go out and get a university degree in the same field simply because
they weren't getting hired (they kept losing out to those with
university degrees).

Personally, I hate universities and believe that they are a scam (they
don't call them 'diploma mills' for nothing),

Who exactly calls universities "diploma mills"?

but that's the reality
on the ground. If you're interested in learning for its own sake, stay
home and read a book. Education is an investment, and as with any
investment, you want to be reasonably certain you'll be getting more
out of it than you initially put in. Community college isn't a good
investment if it doesn't lead to you getting the job or the promotion
you want.

Community college serve several goals well:
-Transfer to university
-Improve/update skills
-Terminal degree for some professions
-Life enrichment
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Igor Alexander Igor Alexander is offline

wrote:

That said, the "basement" of the system shouldn't be scoffed at. The
community colleges provide many people (of all ages) their best chance
at success. And their best second chance as well. Community college
faculties are among the best TEACHING faculties one can find. And in
most locations, the price can't be beat.

The problem is that whatever the quality of the education, a community
college certificate isn't generally taken as seriously as a university
degree. I've known people who, after doing community college, had to
go out and get a university degree in the same field simply because
they weren't getting hired (they kept losing out to those with
university degrees).

Personally, I hate universities and believe that they are a scam (they
don't call them 'diploma mills' for nothing), but that's the reality
on the ground. If you're interested in learning for its own sake, stay
home and read a book. Education is an investment, and as with any
investment, you want to be reasonably certain you'll be getting more
out of it than you initially put in. Community college isn't a good
investment if it doesn't lead to you getting the job or the promotion
you want.
--
http://igoralexander.wordpress.com/
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 1 Iun, 19:10, Igor Alexander wrote:
On 25 May 2008 17:34:47 GMT,
wrote:

Of course there is waste. *And do you think that cutting teacher's salary
is going to fix that?

Ask any teacher if he thinks he should be paid more, and predictably
the answer will be yes.
\\\

same for police, engineers, nurses, dishwashers, toll collectors and
Congressmen.

I think most teachers are overpaid for what they do, especially at the
university level.

pay is proximate to competetive salraies for a given eucational and
experience level,
maybe even a little lower.
Of course there are some bas teachers out thetre, notably my typing
instructor!!1

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Igor Alexander Igor Alexander is offline

On Sat, 24 May 2008 12:32:17 -0700, "ScottW"
wrote:

currently projects a general match with engineering grads and
US jobs. Sadly a high percentage of those grads are foreign students
who in effect deny opportunity to US students.

When I was in university, I recall foreign students having to pay
twice the tuition as nationals. Maybe the increased revenue accounts
for it.
--
http://igoralexander.wordpress.com/

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On May 24, 2:32*pm, "ScottW" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

ScottW wrote:
: Look at the huge gap between guaranteed admission and qualified
: UC admission standards. Why aren't all the qualified guaranteed admission?

Because the state needs to decide if it wishes to invest in education.
At the CSU, UC, and community colleges, the amount of money it takes
to educate a student exceeds what is taken in through tuition and fees.
The balance is covered by taxpayer money. *Since there is only a limited
amount of money budgeted to higher education, there are only a certain
number of students the system can service.

Doesn't address the question at all. *The UC system certainly has a certain
capacity. *That capacity is often established in facilities and infrastructure
paid off years ago. *Allocating such a significant percentage of that capacity
to foreign students is part of the mix. When projecting the cost to service
more US students they always require more capacity, more classrooms, more
teachers etc.
What they could do is simply allocate the capacity they have to US
students at far less cost than increasing capacity.

The state of California is in dire straits because of a growing demand
for stilled workers in engineering and computer science, without enough
graduates to fill that demand. *At the same time, California is cutting
the budgets of higher education. *The state needs to decide if it wishes
to invest in education, if it is to guarantee admission to all
qualified students.

Exactly.

BLS

Why are you quoting BLS, 2pid? Look:

Other qualifications. Engineers should be creative, inquisitive,
analytical, and detail oriented. They should be able to work as part
of a team and to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
Communication abilities are becoming increasingly important as
engineers frequently interact with specialists in a wide range of
fields outside engineering.

Lol

doesn't agree and being a member of that work force I can attest that
the trend to outsource product design and development is now following the
same path offshore as manufacturing.

You mean that corporations will go to where things are cheaper to
maximize profits? And that they have no sense of "patriotism"?

What a suprising discovery!

Computer hardware engineer demand is projected to grow slower than
the population (although why we continue to pursue policies supporting
population growth is beyond any logic).

I'm sure it is simply to make you even more angry.

Further, over 1/3 of engineering jobs are in manufacturing which continues
to decline in the US.

Yup. It's cheaper to make a shirt using 12-year-old labor at $2.00 per
day.

BLS

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos027.htm

currently projects a general match with engineering grads and
US jobs. *Sadly a high percentage of those grads are foreign students
who in effect deny opportunity to US students.

You must have missed this:

"About 1,830 programs at colleges and universities offer bachelors
degrees in engineering that are accredited by the Accreditation Board
for Engineering and Technology (ABET), Inc., and there are another 710
accredited programs in engineering technology. ABET accreditation is
based on a programs faculty, curriculum, and facilities; the
achievement of a programs students; program improvements; and
institutional commitment to specific principles of quality and ethics.
[i.e. Lol!]"

That's about 2,500 opportunities for US students to be "denied
opportunities". This also doesn't include this:

"Some engineering schools have agreements with 2-year colleges whereby
the college provides the initial engineering education, and the
engineering school automatically admits students for their last 2
years. In addition, a few engineering schools have arrangements that
allow students who spend 3 years in a liberal arts college studying
pre-engineering subjects and 2 years in an engineering school studying
core subjects to receive a bachelors degree from each school. Some
colleges and universities offer 5-year masters degree programs. Some
5-year or even 6-year cooperative plans combine classroom study and
practical work, permitting students to gain valuable experience and to
finance part of their education."

So there are even more opportunities to deny US students an education.

I think we should close a large percentage of these institutions. That
way we can deny the foriegn students too. ;-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jun 1, 5:02*pm, Jenn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Here, anyway, they are also much less expensive per credit than the
state (and therefore obviously the private) colleges and universities,
they also tend to have less stringent entrance requirements which, I
think, dovetails to your first point, and they also offer degree
opportunities in some specialties not available in the state and
private institutions.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Jenn said:

Personally, I hate universities and believe that they are a scam (they
don't call them 'diploma mills' for nothing),

Who exactly calls universities "diploma mills"?

Any modern cynic does.

I believe Igor is generalizing from the huge state schools to (all)
universities.

Now please stop feeding this troll. Scottie needs a whuppin'.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick said:

Ask any teacher if he thinks he should be paid more, and predictably
the answer will be yes.

same for police, engineers, nurses, dishwashers, toll collectors and
Congressmen.

But not kompyootur-fixers who conduct "training sessions" for naive
youngsters in their basements.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Jun 1, 5:02*pm, Jenn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

All true. For example, there are far fewer 4 year schools that offer
degrees or certificates in recording arts.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 4 Iun, 00:01, "ScottW" wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Jun 1, 5:02 pm, Jenn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Mira Costa program falls into vocational training.
Specific education for immediate employment.
Few 4 years schools are in vocational type education.
Nursing schools come to mind as an example.

med school, law schools, and engineering schools are jsut as
appropriate
inclusions as nursing school. Also. teacher schools and scial work
schools.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Jun 1, 5:02 pm, Jenn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's partially how they built their new building. Bad building
for music, good for recording arts.

Specific education for immediate employment.

Yep. That's how we qualified for VTEA funds, which is how we get some
of our things.

Few 4 years schools are in vocational type education.
Nursing schools come to mind as an example.

Exactly. It's one of the advantages of community colleges, as Shhhh
alluded to above.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Jun 4, 12:31*am, "ScottW" wrote:
"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

On 4 Iun, 00:01, "ScottW" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message

In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Jun 1, 5:02 pm, Jenn wrote:

wrote:

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
all post 4 year.

and engineering schools are jsut as
appropriate
I'd say yes but some like MIT are more geared to
advanced studies. *They expect their grads to
at least pursue masters. *The undergrad classes have no
labs. They use no equipment.

Way to bring it down as a comparison to state universities and
community colleges.

Say, 2pid, have I ever told you that you're an imbecile?