Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default using condenser mics for live acoustics

hey all!

here's my situation.

i play a lot of solo acoustic shows. i use in-ear monitors as opposed
to wedges or other on stage speakers. so i'm thinking, i should be
able to buy a good condenser mic, and mic my acoustics rather than
using the pickups on the guitars.....they sound 'ok' but, i would sure
love to get the sound of the guitar more....

i'm thinking feedback wouldn't be an issue since i'm always behind the
main p.a. speakers, and since i use the in-ear monitors to hear
myself......

do you think this sounds like a reasonable idea, and if so what
kind/type of condenser mic's would you use?

thanks!

peace
michael richardson
fort worth tx

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James Lehman

Audio Technica makes some really nice phantom powered mic that are about the
size of a lipstick case. They are cardioid, so you can point it right into
the front of the guitar. Beside that, there are some very effective feedback
eliminators as well.

wrote in message
oups.com...
hey all!

here's my situation.

i play a lot of solo acoustic shows. i use in-ear monitors as opposed
to wedges or other on stage speakers. so i'm thinking, i should be
able to buy a good condenser mic, and mic my acoustics rather than
using the pickups on the guitars.....they sound 'ok' but, i would sure
love to get the sound of the guitar more....

i'm thinking feedback wouldn't be an issue since i'm always behind the
main p.a. speakers, and since i use the in-ear monitors to hear
myself......

do you think this sounds like a reasonable idea, and if so what
kind/type of condenser mic's would you use?

thanks!

peace
michael richardson
fort worth tx

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

wrote in message
oups.com...
i play a lot of solo acoustic shows. i use in-ear monitors as opposed
to wedges or other on stage speakers. so i'm thinking, i should be
able to buy a good condenser mic, and mic my acoustics rather than
using the pickups on the guitars.....they sound 'ok' but, i would sure
love to get the sound of the guitar more....

When doing live sound for acoustic guitars with pick ups, I nearly always
mic the guitar as well. You can then balance the DI sound and the mic sound
any way you like from the mixing desk.

i'm thinking feedback wouldn't be an issue since i'm always behind the
main p.a. speakers, and since i use the in-ear monitors to hear
myself......

Using in ear monitors makes it much easier to avoid feedback of course, so
the use of a less directional mic becomes possible if you prefer it.

do you think this sounds like a reasonable idea, and if so what
kind/type of condenser mic's would you use?

Of course, any reasonable instrument condenser will work. Depends whether
your budget stretches to Shure or Neumann.
The best option is always to take your guitar and closed headphones to the
shop, and choose from Sennheiser, AKG, Rode, DPA, Beyer, Mann etc.

MrT.