Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default what's wrong with my microphone?

what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners via
it,but i can't speak. what glitch should be fixed? any ideas?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"index" wrote ...
what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners
via
it,but i can't speak. what glitch should be fixed? any ideas?

Your question is impossible to answer without any details.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce

On 2 Jun 2006 01:01:15 -0700, "index" wrote:

what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners via
it,but i can't speak. what glitch should be fixed? any ideas?

Leaving aside the obvious humour prompted by your wording, have you
turned up the microphone in the Windows mixer (tick the mute box
unless you really want to hear yourself), and have you then pressed
the "Advanced" button and ticked the +20dB box?

If that still doesn't work, go to the control panel and select the
sound related icon. Make sure that the microphone you want to use is
the selected input device.

If all that fails, there is a good chance it is broken.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Richard Crowley wrote:
"index" wrote ...
what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners
via
it,but i can't speak. what glitch should be fixed? any ideas?

Your question is impossible to answer without any details.

perhaps u can give me some general directions

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"index" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"index" wrote ...
what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners
via
it,but i can't speak. what glitch should be fixed? any ideas?

Your question is impossible to answer without any details.

perhaps u can give me some general directions

Did you read the web page I referenced?
You already got "some general directions" from Don Pearce.

We have no clue what computer you are using, what operating
system, what software, what microphone, how it is connected,
if this is a new installation and never worked, or whether it
just quit recently, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

Many of us are reluctant to waste any time on people who
don't do their own work. We know nothing about you or your
problem except what you have written here and nobody can
read your mind at this distance. If you make us play the game
"20 Questions", you will be ignored by people who don't
want to play games.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"index" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"index" wrote ...
what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners
via
it,but i can't speak. what glitch should be fixed? any ideas?

Your question is impossible to answer without any details.

perhaps u can give me some general directions

Did you read the web page I referenced?
You already got "some general directions" from Don Pearce.

We have no clue what computer you are using, what operating
system, what software, what microphone, how it is connected,
if this is a new installation and never worked, or whether it
just quit recently, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

What the mixer settings are etc. Was there a sound level 'wizard' when it was
installed and so on. Answer these and there's a chance of getting a meaningful
reply.

Many of us are reluctant to waste any time on people who
don't do their own work. We know nothing about you or your
problem except what you have written here and nobody can
read your mind at this distance. If you make us play the game
"20 Questions", you will be ignored by people who don't
want to play games.

Amen to that. I see Boki's improved lately btw.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
none

When you say "you can hear through the microphone", do you actually mean
"hear through the microphone"?

If so it sounds like you have the microphone plugged into the headphone
socket.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

none wrote:

When you say "you can hear through the microphone", do you actually mean
"hear through the microphone"?

If so it sounds like you have the microphone plugged into the headphone
socket.

Oh lovely. Hadn't even considered he meant that literally !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

none wrote:
When you say "you can hear through the microphone", do you actually mean
"hear through the microphone"?

If so it sounds like you have the microphone plugged into the headphone
socket.

exactly it's a headphone, not a microphone, terrible sorry.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Walt

index wrote:

what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners via
it,but i can't speak.

You can hear voices coming out of your microphone? Congratulations!
Obviously your mic has a genie inside - rub it vigorously and get ready
to make your three wishes.

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.tech
none

easy mistake to make on older cards as they only had scratches on case
to show an input or putput.

Don't know when they moved to colours to help distinguish but when your
peering behind a PC in the dark it can still be hard.

and for all you techies that jumped into the computer settings

nah nah ne nah nah :-Q
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Walt wrote:
index wrote:

what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners via
it,but i can't speak.

You can hear voices coming out of your microphone? Congratulations!
Obviously your mic has a genie inside - rub it vigorously and get ready
to make your three wishes.

//Walt

yes, i can hear voices coming out of my microphone. but the other side
can't hear me
throught his microphone which is all right.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"index" wrote...
yes, i can hear voices coming out of my microphone.
but the other side can't hear me throught his microphone
which is all right.

Are you uncomfortable communicating in English?
Would you prefer some other language? Did you not
understand any of the requests for additioinal information
which would allow us to understand what you have here?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"index" wrote...
yes, i can hear voices coming out of my microphone.
but the other side can't hear me throught his microphone
which is all right.

Are you uncomfortable communicating in English?
Would you prefer some other language? Did you not
understand any of the requests for additioinal information
which would allow us to understand what you have here?

index is trolling r.a.p too. He's obviously not for real.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Pooh Bear wrote:

index is trolling r.a.p too. He's obviously not for real.
Graham

how can you say that? of course i am for real.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"index" wrote ...
Pooh Bear wrote:
index is trolling r.a.p too. He's obviously not for real.

how can you say that? of course i am for real.

Your behavior is indistinguishable from a troll.

You keep asking the same impossible question
over and over again. You never respond to any
of the clarifying questions or debugging suggestions.

Many of us have given up on you as non-responsive.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"index" wrote ...
Pooh Bear wrote:
index is trolling r.a.p too. He's obviously not for real.

how can you say that? of course i am for real.

Your behavior is indistinguishable from a troll.

You keep asking the same impossible question
over and over again. You never respond to any
of the clarifying questions or debugging suggestions.

Many of us have given up on you as non-responsive.

The best solution by far.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Don Pearce wrote:
On 2 Jun 2006 01:01:15 -0700, "index" wrote:

what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners via
it,but i can't speak. what glitch should be fixed? any ideas?

Leaving aside the obvious humour prompted by your wording, have you
turned up the microphone in the Windows mixer (tick the mute box
unless you really want to hear yourself), and have you then pressed
the "Advanced" button and ticked the +20dB box?

If that still doesn't work, go to the control panel and select the
sound related icon. Make sure that the microphone you want to use is
the selected input device.

If all that fails, there is a good chance it is broken.

it isn't broken, it's ok. i used my neighbor's computer to test my
microphone, it functions well. i checked my mixer, the mute box isn't
checked. it seems everything is fine. alas, i really can't figure it
out. it bothers me a lot.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Don Pearce wrote:
On 2 Jun 2006 01:01:15 -0700, "index" wrote:

what's wrong with my microphone? i can hear my online chat partners via
it,but i can't speak. what glitch should be fixed? any ideas?

Leaving aside the obvious humour prompted by your wording, have you
turned up the microphone in the Windows mixer (tick the mute box
unless you really want to hear yourself), and have you then pressed
the "Advanced" button and ticked the +20dB box?

If that still doesn't work, go to the control panel and select the
sound related icon. Make sure that the microphone you want to use is
the selected input device.

If all that fails, there is a good chance it is broken.

it isn't broken, it's ok. i used my neighbor's computer to test my
microphone, it functioned well during the test. i checked my mixer, the
mute box isn't
ticked. it seems everything is fine. alas, i really can't figure it
out. it bothers me a lot.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
index is trolling r.a.p too. He's obviously not for real.

Of course he's real, he's a real moron that's for sure. Probably a troll as
well.

MrT.

Microphone conumdrum Harmonica Lover Pro Audio 5 April 20th 06 04:54 PM
Microphone Reviews [email protected] Pro Audio 100 February 1st 06 02:23 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
FS: Pro Audio Gear, Parts, Accessories [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 28th 05 04:51 PM
Powerful Argument in Favor of Agnosticism and Athetism Robert Morein Audio Opinions 3 August 17th 04 06:37 AM