Dan Popp

Default The Decline of Audio Mags

Gang,
Last night I wrote an email to one of the major Audio Industry
magazines. For the purposes of this post it doesn't matter which one,
nor what my complaints were. I was surprised to get a personal reply
from the editor about an hour later. As a reason for dismissing my
point of view, he said that mine was the first comment of its kind he'd
received.

Say what?

I assumed (oops) that magazines with tens of thousands of readers would
get lots of mail - especially as convenient as it is these days to zip
off an email. Apparently not. (This particular magazine prints very
few "letters to the editor," but it may be that they run every one they
get!). Now this is a real shame if you ask me.

Surely I'm not alone in the impression that the overall quality of our
industry rags has declined quite precipitously in recent months. Some
have gone into political hackery and relegated audio to whatever space
is left over; some have become faux counter-culture tracts; and none
seems to care about preserving English as a means of communication..

Like government and wives, we may ultimately get the industry magazines
we deserve. Especially if we don't speak up. Next time you read
something that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end,
consider telling the editor your thoughts. After all, these good folks
work for us.

Yours,
Dan Popp
Colors Audio
USA

John Noll

Dan Popp wrote:
[...]

I'd guess that it was EQ you were refering to. I was
appalled at some of the "writing" in the most recent
issue. EQ has been on a pretty steady drop lately, but
the current issue fell right off the table. And right
into my trash.

On the other hand, TapeOp has been steadily improving.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

http://www.retromedia.net

PapaNate

John Noll wrote:

I was appalled at some of the "writing" in the most recent
issue.
On the other hand, TapeOp has been steadily improving.

TapeOp often transcends the elements it covers and in doing so adds life into
the articles.

As for the rest...I don't know...the concept of those magazines is
so..uhh..*yesterday*.g.

PapaNate

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

E.M.'s cover stories have been driving me batty lately. The recent amp
modelling issue went straight into the trash after a very basic perusal....

I mean, c'mon.... the very cover itself says.... "FAKE !!"

DM

"Dan Popp" wrote in message ...
[...]

hollywood_steve ([email protected])

Its not easy to find in the USA, but Resolution is the best audio mag
around, no contest. They give the impression that they are the 2nd
coming of the old Studio Sound. They finally went online with most of
their content a couple of months ago.

www.resolutionmag.com

play on

With the possible exception of tape op, I'm under the impression that
most audio mags are basically gear pimps.

Al

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:27:45 GMT, Dan Popp
wrote:

[...]

Arny Krueger

"John Noll" wrote in message

I'd guess that it was EQ you were refering to. I was
appalled at some of the "writing" in the most recent
issue. EQ has been on a pretty steady drop lately, but
the current issue fell right off the table. And right
into my trash.

I found a recent copy of EQ at an audio club meeting last weekend. At least
one of the feature articles was bad technically that were it posted here, it
would have been ripped to shreds in hours.

I can just about lay out the entire year for each and every
magazine...except Tapeop of course....
Here goes...
January...NAMM Preview possibly, or the German Show...I forget the
name.
Feb...How's about a "Recording Drums" issue here.
March...New Gear from NAMM issue.
April...Is it too early in the year for the annual "How to Master Your
Recordings"
May...Latest Soft Synths
June...How to Record Guitars
July...SDC Shootout!!!
Aug...LDC Shootout.
Sept...Adding Life to Vocal Recordings, or How to...
Oct...Mixing Tips and Tricks
Nov...Software Shootout....Cubase, Audition, PT...Which is best?
Dec...Christmas Ideas Under $20, $50 $100 and ?

Did I miss any critical issues?
later,

Scott Dorsey

Dan Popp wrote:

Surely I'm not alone in the impression that the overall quality of our
industry rags has declined quite precipitously in recent months. Some
have gone into political hackery and relegated audio to whatever space
is left over; some have become faux counter-culture tracts; and none
seems to care about preserving English as a means of communication..

Recent months? I think things declined when R/E/P went away and nothing
has been the same since.

Like government and wives, we may ultimately get the industry magazines
we deserve. Especially if we don't speak up. Next time you read
something that makes the hair on the back of your neck stand on end,
consider telling the editor your thoughts. After all, these good folks
work for us.

I can say that since 9-11, the page count on the various magazines that I
write for has been reduced substantially in order to cut costs, because
advertising revenue is down and newsstand sales are down. Everybody is
trying to find some way to shave a dime and folks are accepting some
advertising that they might not otherwise have taken. One of of the small
press high end publications that I write for may or may not even still exist.
I can't get a straight answer out of them whether the next quarterly issue
is coming out or not.

By all means, write in, but don't forget to buy magazines either.

John Halliburton

After all, these good folks
work for us.

Critiques of editorial content notwithstanding, your argument is flawed, as
the above statement just isn't true. Almost all magazines work for the
advertisers that spend the big bucks advertising. This of course presents
an almost inevitable sway in editorial content to favor said advertisers,
sometimes deliberate, sometimes unconsciously.

Don't bother pointing out exceptions, that isn't the point.

JHH

hank alrich

Arny Krueger wrote:

"John Noll" wrote:

I'd guess that it was EQ you were refering to. I was
appalled at some of the "writing" in the most recent
issue. EQ has been on a pretty steady drop lately, but
the current issue fell right off the table. And right
into my trash.

I found a recent copy of EQ at an audio club meeting last weekend. At least
one of the feature articles was bad technically that were it posted here, it
would have been ripped to shreds in hours.

_EQ_ is over. I wrote "No" in the "ya still want this for FREE?" box.

--
ha
hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

By all means, write in, but don't forget to buy magazines either.

And by all means, stop buying them, even if they're free, when they are
obviously no longer worth the trees murdered to hold the ink.

--
ha
Karl Winkler

John Noll wrote:
Dan Popp wrote:
[...]

I do know that there have been some "changes" at EQ, including taking
their former editor, Mitch Gallagher, and their resident guru Craig
Anderton off the payroll and making them "freelancers". They have a new
editor who is not from the audio industry... sound familiar? Seems to
be a trend for companys to try to improve the bottom line this way.
Inevitably it backfires and they'll either close the magazine or wake
up and realize what's going on...

To a large extent, EQ has always pimped gear and been very marketing
focused. However, what's kept them alive IMO is decent editorial and
general eye candy (remember those cool photos they used to do with
vintage and rare microphones? I think it was called "MicroPhile" or
something like that).

All that being said, I think the publishing industry has suffered quite
a bit since 9/11/01 and probably even before that. Advertisers have
looked at many different alternative means of reaching their audiences,
not the least of which is the Web. So while some are going the way of
EQ, i.e. the "corporate fix", some are reinventing themselves to find
new ways to be viable (like Tape Op). Kinda similar to business in
general, no?

Karl Winkler
Lectrosonics, Inc.
http://www.lectrosonics.com

Paul Stamler

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

I can say that since 9-11, the page count on the various magazines that I
write for has been reduced substantially in order to cut costs, because
advertising revenue is down and newsstand sales are down. Everybody is
trying to find some way to shave a dime and folks are accepting some
advertising that they might not otherwise have taken.

According to editors at both of the magazines I write for, a lot of the
advertisers have decided to put more of their advertising dollars into
websites rather than magazines, seeing more immediate paybacks.

As Scott says, this means page counts are down, so the news hole is smaller.
If the news hole is smaller, there are two ways an editor can deal with
that. One is to keep articles the same length, but buy fewer of them. The
other is to buy the same number of articles, but make them shorter (and
usually shallower as a result). Most editors will choose the latter course,
because they want to maintain the variety of articles -- a magazine with 8
features in it will stand a better chance of appealing to a newsstand buyer
than one with 4 features, because there's twice the possibility of finding a
topic that appeals to a particular reader. Whether the shorter article
satisfies the buyer is, of course, a whole 'nother question.

Peace,
Paul

philicorda

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:02:44 -0800, mwood5nospam wrote:

I can just about lay out the entire year for each and every
magazine...except Tapeop of course....
Here goes...
January...NAMM Preview possibly, or the German Show...I forget the
name.
Feb...How's about a "Recording Drums" issue here.
March...New Gear from NAMM issue.
April...Is it too early in the year for the annual "How to Master Your
Recordings"
May...Latest Soft Synths
June...How to Record Guitars
July...SDC Shootout!!!
Aug...LDC Shootout.
Sept...Adding Life to Vocal Recordings, or How to...
Oct...Mixing Tips and Tricks
Nov...Software Shootout....Cubase, Audition, PT...Which is best?
Dec...Christmas Ideas Under $20, $50 $100 and ?

How accurate, yet depressing.

I would like to see a magazine with articles such as:
'How to avoid buying new gear!'
'Analysis of the best pop arrangements of the past year, and how the
production backed them up.'
'PRS, MCPS, PPL, MU, PAMRA? What are they, and which are essential?'
'How much do studios charge in your area, and are you charging too little?'
'Long term archiving techniques'

I guess I won't see those articles as they would take a great deal of
research and knowledge compared to reviewing soft synths.
Sigh. Back to google groups archive and rec.audio.pro.

Did I miss any critical issues?
later,

Scott Dorsey

play on wrote:
With the possible exception of tape op, I'm under the impression that
most audio mags are basically gear pimps.

Audio/Media isn't. Recording isn't THAT much of one. Electronic Musician
is also less of one than most of the others.

There are other small market magazines like Tape Op that mostly cater to
the vintage audio community, like Sound Practices and Vacuum Tube Valley.
And there is AudioExpress which is a new incarnation of the old Audio
Amateur.

But none of them are R/E/P.

Paul Stamler

"philicorda" wrote in message
news

I would like to see a magazine with articles such as:
'How to avoid buying new gear!'
'Analysis of the best pop arrangements of the past year, and how the
production backed them up.'
'PRS, MCPS, PPL, MU, PAMRA? What are they, and which are essential?'
'How much do studios charge in your area, and are you charging too

little?'
'Long term archiving techniques'

I wrote a two-parter covering archiving techniques for "Recording". Others
have written about how much to charge.

The others...no, they haven't showed up much.

Peace,
Paul

philicorda

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 20:54:36 +0000, Paul Stamler wrote:

"philicorda" wrote in message
news

I would like to see a magazine with articles such as:
'How to avoid buying new gear!'
'Analysis of the best pop arrangements of the past year, and how the
production backed them up.'
'PRS, MCPS, PPL, MU, PAMRA? What are they, and which are essential?'
'How much do studios charge in your area, and are you charging too

little?'
'Long term archiving techniques'

I wrote a two-parter covering archiving techniques for "Recording". Others
have written about how much to charge.

Which issue(s) were the articles on archiving in?

The others...no, they haven't showed up much.

Peace,
Paul

Dan Popp

John,
Please explain how a magazine with zero readers would retain advertisers.

Yours,
Dan Popp
Colors Audio
USA

John Halliburton wrote:

After all, these good folks
work for us.

Critiques of editorial content notwithstanding, your argument is flawed, as
the above statement just isn't true. Almost all magazines work for the
advertisers that spend the big bucks advertising. This of course presents
an almost inevitable sway in editorial content to favor said advertisers,
sometimes deliberate, sometimes unconsciously.

Don't bother pointing out exceptions, that isn't the point.

JHH

Scott Dorsey

Dan Popp wrote:
John,
Please explain how a magazine with zero readers would retain advertisers.

By faking their distribution figures, which is what some of the free
magazines in the past have done. The more reputable ones have independant
auditing of subscribers by BPA or some similar organization but not all of
them do. And the auditing is no guarantee.

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

As Scott says, this means page counts are down, so the news hole is smaller.
If the news hole is smaller, there are two ways an editor can deal with
that. One is to keep articles the same length, but buy fewer of them. The
other is to buy the same number of articles, but make them shorter (and
usually shallower as a result). Most editors will choose the latter course,
because they want to maintain the variety of articles

When I was first approached about writing for Recording, I told the
editor at the time, Nick Batzdorf, that I felt that most magazine
articles about technical subjects in the magazines I read (I wasn't a
regular Recording reader at the time) were too short to really provide
much information, that I wanted to be able to write articles that were
long enough to cover the subject comfortably and not leave the reader
looking for something else. Nick was fair enough to allow me that
freedom and did very little to restrict what I wrote, either in size
or scope. I, in turn, tried to pick subjects that I could cover in
less than about 50% more than the space that he really wanted.

Today, I'm not writing as much for a couple of reasons. First, I
figure I've already said about all I know about on subjects I feel
comfortable covering. It's still important that people read about
those things, and there are new authors who are covering many of the
same subjects with their own style and spin. So at least many of the
fundamentals that I think are important are still being covered every
couple of years so they'll be available to the newcomers.

Second, the current editor is more fussy about length and frequently
asks me to shorten articles. It's frustrating to have to take out
stuff that you think is important.

If you'd like to read a couple of my reviews that were too long for
anybody to publish (the TASCAM US-122 review appeared in Recording in
a shortened form) you can visit my dinky little web page that I set up
because it was free and it gave me a place to put some stuff that I
wanted to pass along.
http://mysite.verizon.net/mikerivers

-- a magazine with 8
features in it will stand a better chance of appealing to a newsstand buyer
than one with 4 features, because there's twice the possibility of finding a
topic that appeals to a particular reader. Whether the shorter article
satisfies the buyer is, of course, a whole 'nother question.

Peace,
Paul

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Dan Popp

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Dan Popp wrote:
John,
Please explain how a magazine with zero readers would retain advertisers.

By faking their distribution figures, which is what some of the free
magazines in the past have done. The more reputable ones have independant
auditing of subscribers by BPA or some similar organization but not all of
them do. And the auditing is no guarantee.
--scott

Scott,
I'm sure you didn't mean that a magazine with absolutely no circulation could
fake a readership of hundreds of thousands and keep up this fraud forever. I
don't doubt that shenanigans go on, but as Lincoln said, "You can't fool all
the people all of the time." Advertisers are paying money, ultimately, to
get results. No readers = no results = no advertisers = no magazine. We have
both met people like John who seem to cynically believe that the "real"
product is the advertising. Instead the real product is indeed the product
(the magazine, the race car, the radio station). That product's success in
the marketplace - how well it meets the needs of the consumer - will determine
how successful the advertising can be. In the end, readers are in control,
despite the fakery you mentioned.

Yours,
Dan Popp
Colors Audio
USA

philicorda

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:37:32 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

In article writes:

I would like to see a magazine with articles such as:
'How to avoid buying new gear!'

I sort of wrote that one. It was the last article in my Oops Wrong
Button series in Recording, in which I encouraged people to try
breaking the "unlimited number of tracks" habit and recording an
8-track project (with lots of info on how to make it sound like more
tracks, but emphasizing the importance of alwys having the end product
in mind)

That's the kind of thing I want to read.
Looks like a subscription to 'Recording' is in order. (And a few back
issues.)

'Analysis of the best pop arrangements of the past year, and how the
production backed them up.'

I see a lot of articles about pop recordings, but I find that i get
little useful information about them. That's a good idea, though, if
treated right.

I would really like to read articles and analysis of more traditional pop
string/brass arranging too. There must be a load of other people out there
who are not scared of a little music theory as well.

'PRS, MCPS, PPL, MU, PAMRA? What are they, and which are essential?'

Yeah, I'd like to know that, too. Paul Reed Smith, Mega Cycles Per
Second, P-Pop Limiter, A kind of metal used for magnetic shielding, and
a coffee beverage?

Hehe! They are all organisations that deal with royalties and things in
the UK. I seem to be ending up with points on some tracks nowadays, and
though I am PRS registered, apparently I need to contact some other
acronyms and register as well. I think they weigh the amount of paperwork
you send them and pay out accordingly.
As the lines between engineer/producer/artists are getting so blurred I
figure I should understand this stuff.

'How much do studios charge in your area, and are you charging too
little?'

Mix used to do that a long time ago. Today it's too hard to define what
a studio is.

Well, a survey and some examples would be handy all the same.

'Long term archiving techniques'

Dave Martin wrote an article about that in, I think, Audio Media. Come
to think of it, I haven't seen an issue of Audio Media in about a year.
Did it go under, or did I miss another subscription renewal notice?

I used to read Audio Media in my local library. It has vanished from there.

What I want to know is why is it so hard to read the publication date on
the cover or spine of most magazines? I have a shelf full of magazines
and when I'm looking for a specific issue, I often have to search all
over the cover to see where I'm at in the stack.

Paul Stamler

"philicorda" wrote in message
news
I wrote a two-parter covering archiving techniques for "Recording".

Others
have written about how much to charge.

Which issue(s) were the articles on archiving in?

Geez...I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know, because although I know
they're here someplace, I can't find them. Sometime in 2001, I'd guess. The
title was "Making It Last".

Peace,
Paul

Predrag Trpkov

wrote:

Dave Martin wrote an article about that in, I think, Audio Media. Come
to think of it, I haven't seen an issue of Audio Media in about a year.
Did it go under, or did I miss another subscription renewal notice?

I used to read Audio Media in my local library. It has vanished from

there.

I received a copy last week, regularly. February issue, European edition.

It's still a decent magazine.

Predrag

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

That's the kind of thing I want to read.
Looks like a subscription to 'Recording' is in order. (And a few back
issues.)

Not to speak ill of the hand that feeds me (or more like buys a beer
now and then), but for me, about 50% of the issues of Recording these
days don't have but one or two articles of interest. But some are
nearly 100% worth reading. I suspect that this is true for just about
everyone (and just about every magazine) and we're all looking for
something different. But I'll bet everyone here would love reading
every issue of R/E/P cover to cover. I got ideas for some of my best
articles from going through my old collection.

I would really like to read articles and analysis of more traditional pop
string/brass arranging too. There must be a load of other people out there
who are not scared of a little music theory as well.

Electronic Musician used to have a regular column about theory where
they would take apart a pop arrangement every issue. Maybe you should
write to the editor and ask to have it revived.

'PRS, MCPS, PPL, MU, PAMRA? What are they, and which are essential?'

Hehe! They are all organisations that deal with royalties and things in
the UK.

No wonder I didn't recognize any of them. I know ASCAP, BMI, and CESAC
(but not sure what that stands for [Canadian] so not sure how to spell
it). Generally when there's an article about the business of music, it
has to do with obtaining a copyright, but you never read what to do if
you find that someone has stolen your work (or any success stories of
someone who's been that lucky).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

John

Heck, the box set of.. What the heck... Pet Sounds?... brain... (more
coffee...) with all the pre-finish spec mixes and such is just jaw=dropping
in both hearing isolated parts AND in the look at what a gestalt genius
Wilson is about just simply 'knowing' what it all needs to be down to the
least interlocked piece.
I keep going back and just listening/studying anything by TOTO, Motown
collections, Tchaikovsky, like going to the museum to just sit and stare and
study Renoir or Rembrandt.

On 3/17/05 7:30 PM, in article ,
"philicorda" wrote:

'Analysis of the best pop arrangements of the past year, and how the
production backed them up.'

I see a lot of articles about pop recordings, but I find that i get
little useful information about them. That's a good idea, though, if
treated right.

I would really like to read articles and analysis of more traditional pop
string/brass arranging too. There must be a load of other people out there
who are not scared of a little music theory as well.

James Perrett

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:30:22 GMT, philicorda
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:37:32 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

'PRS, MCPS, PPL, MU, PAMRA? What are they, and which are essential?'

Yeah, I'd like to know that, too. Paul Reed Smith, Mega Cycles Per
Second, P-Pop Limiter, A kind of metal used for magnetic shielding, and
a coffee beverage?

Hehe! They are all organisations that deal with royalties and things in
the UK. I seem to be ending up with points on some tracks nowadays, and
though I am PRS registered, apparently I need to contact some other
acronyms and register as well. I think they weigh the amount of paperwork
you send them and pay out accordingly.
As the lines between engineer/producer/artists are getting so blurred I
figure I should understand this stuff.

There are plenty of people in a similar position to you on the Sound On
Sound forum - try visiting http://www.soundonsound.com and going to the
Music Business forum if you need some help.

'Long term archiving techniques'

Dave Martin wrote an article about that in, I think, Audio Media. Come
to think of it, I haven't seen an issue of Audio Media in about a year.
Did it go under, or did I miss another subscription renewal notice?

I used to read Audio Media in my local library. It has vanished from
there.

I got the latest issue last week with Nuendo 3 featured on the cover.

Cheers.

James.