Andy Eng

Default Layla 20 bit in 16 bit mode?

Hello All,

Old debate in a specific situation...

In the process of upgrading the computer's soundcard from 16 to 24
bits and in the midst of an e-bay auction. The seller originally
posted it as a 24 bit card but has just corrected it to specify that
it's the 20 bit model. I use Quartz Audio Pro and 20 bits isn't an
option, just 16 or 24 bits. Sigh...

Can anybody comment on the "goodness" of a Layla in 16 bit mode? I
can really use the number of i/o's available but will consider other
brands to take advantage of all 24 bits (compared to the 16).

Changing s/w wasn't in my plan (so soon) as I've other h/w needing
tending too and trying to follow a spending plan...

TIA,
Andy
Geoff Wood

"Andy Eng" wrote in message

In the process of upgrading the computer's soundcard from 16 to 24
bits and in the midst of an e-bay auction. The seller originally
posted it as a 24 bit card but has just corrected it to specify that
it's the 20 bit model. I use Quartz Audio Pro and 20 bits isn't an
option, just 16 or 24 bits. Sigh...

That's because there is no such format as a 20 bit WAV file. 20 bit devices
can usually benefit from their extra bits recording as a 24 bit file which
comes padded with zeros to fill the extra bits. The abillity to do this
depends on the drivers, but I can imagine that the drivers don't support
this mode of operattion...

geoff

Arny Krueger

"Andy Eng" wrote in message

Hello All,

Old debate in a specific situation...

In the process of upgrading the computer's soundcard from 16 to 24
bits and in the midst of an e-bay auction. The seller originally
posted it as a 24 bit card but has just corrected it to specify that
it's the 20 bit model. I use Quartz Audio Pro and 20 bits isn't an
option, just 16 or 24 bits.

Not a problem. The Layla20 drivers will accept 24 bit data.

You can see how it performs in 24 bit mode at
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/layla/analog24/ .

Arny Krueger

"Andy Eng" wrote in message

Hello All,

Old debate in a specific situation...

In the process of upgrading the computer's soundcard from 16 to 24
bits and in the midst of an e-bay auction. The seller originally
posted it as a 24 bit card but has just corrected it to specify that
it's the 20 bit model. I use Quartz Audio Pro and 20 bits isn't an
option, just 16 or 24 bits.

Not a problem. The Layla20 drivers will accept 24 bit data.

You can see how it performs in 24 bit mode at
http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/layla/analog24/ .

What is "Counter mode" + "0" on Sony DAT? Corinna Vinschen General 4 June 12th 04 08:58 AM
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Layla 24 problem v brown Pro Audio 3 December 17th 03 12:33 AM
The shuffle mode NiteDawg Tech 1 August 23rd 03 11:18 PM
Layla 20 and Rosetta 96khz Arny Krueger Pro Audio 0 August 23rd 03 04:25 PM
Yamaha DM series Question (DM2000 DM1000 02R96) 'single speed mode' at 96/88,2K Andreas Neubert Pro Audio 1 July 4th 03 04:28 PM