lmeadows

Default Need good, cheap car stereo setup. Please help.

Forgive me . . . I don't know much about this stuff. Just asking for
advice.

I just got a 1996 Mustang. The stereo system in it is horrible. I
don't want a system that is anything incredibly loud or with huge
bass. I just want a system that sounds a lot better and is cheap.

How cheap can I replace this system? I know I'll need to buy a CD
player. What else? Will just replacing the speakers make a
difference? Will I need an amp? I think if I buy a CD player now,
it's still gonna sound bad. Like I said, nothing expensive, but
something that sounds good.
Peter

Ebay is your friend, both used or new.

Absolutely!

IMHO profile CA, US acoustics, and Legacy amps are very good for the $$$.
You can get a multichanel amp from either of them for under $90. Even

less
used. Of the 3 US acoustics is the best IMHO.

For a basic car setup amp I would think amp is certainly an overkill. HU
with 4x22W full bandwidth power is more than enough.

Search for cerwin vega, lanzar, profile, legacy, bazooka coaxial speakers.
IMHO all will sound better than stock speakers and wont blow the bank.

Pioneer TS-G line would be my recommendation. I have them and these sound
awesome while not being too expensive

A basic CD head should do you well. I'm gonna recommend poineer but thats
my preference.

Agreed again.

Peter

sanitarium

Ebay is your friend, both used or new.

IMHO profile CA, US acoustics, and Legacy amps are very good for the $$$.
You can get a multichanel amp from either of them for under $90. Even less
used. Of the 3 US acoustics is the best IMHO.

If you go with an amp, dont forget to budget for a power wire install kit.

Search for cerwin vega, lanzar, profile, legacy, bazooka coaxial speakers.
IMHO all will sound better than stock speakers and wont blow the bank.

A basic CD head should do you well. I'm gonna recommend poineer but thats
my preference.

Garrett

"lmeadows" wrote in message
om...
Forgive me . . . I don't know much about this stuff. Just asking for
advice.

I just got a 1996 Mustang. The stereo system in it is horrible. I
don't want a system that is anything incredibly loud or with huge
bass. I just want a system that sounds a lot better and is cheap.

How cheap can I replace this system? I know I'll need to buy a CD
player. What else? Will just replacing the speakers make a
difference? Will I need an amp? I think if I buy a CD player now,
it's still gonna sound bad. Like I said, nothing expensive, but
something that sounds good.

EFFENDI

lmeadows wrote:

Forgive me . . . I don't know much about this stuff. Just asking for
advice.

I just got a 1996 Mustang. The stereo system in it is horrible. I
don't want a system that is anything incredibly loud or with huge
bass. I just want a system that sounds a lot better and is cheap.

How cheap can I replace this system? I know I'll need to buy a CD
player. What else? Will just replacing the speakers make a
difference? Will I need an amp? I think if I buy a CD player now,
it's still gonna sound bad. Like I said, nothing expensive, but
something that sounds good.

first thing you should do is set a budget for yourself. then go to local
shops or better yet shows and listen to a few systems. go with the
brands that sound best to you and then make a decision based on that.
ebay is a very powerful tool if used carefully. you can find some good
deals if you are smart about it. i really reccomend the first thing you
replace is the factory headunit and speakers. then work your way up from
there by amplifying your speakers and adding cd changers or whatever
other options you want.

EFFENDI

narcolept

"sanitarium" wrote in message
Ebay is your friend, both used or new.

IMHO profile CA, US acoustics, and Legacy amps are very good for the $$$.
You can get a multichanel amp from either of them for under $90. Even

less
used. Of the 3 US acoustics is the best IMHO.

snip

The only US Acoustic amps worth a **** are the ones made by zed audio. FYI

narcolept
---
had one briefly to check it out, and it itself was barely worth a ****.

lmeadows

"sanitarium" wrote in message news:1069804492.595304@sj-nntpcache-5...
Ebay is your friend, both used or new.

IMHO profile CA, US acoustics, and Legacy amps are very good for the $$$.
You can get a multichanel amp from either of them for under $90. Even less
used. Of the 3 US acoustics is the best IMHO.

If you go with an amp, dont forget to budget for a power wire install kit.

Search for cerwin vega, lanzar, profile, legacy, bazooka coaxial speakers.
IMHO all will sound better than stock speakers and wont blow the bank.

A basic CD head should do you well. I'm gonna recommend poineer but thats
my preference.

Garrett

Thanks for the replies.

Do you think an amp is necessary? Or, do you think I can get good
sound with just a CD player and new speakers?
sanitarium

Sorry... I should have clarified...

It really depends on your lestening habbits and how loud you intend to
listen. Im not into booming car audio, never cared for that. But after a
week without an amp it was clear that my sony headunit amp was clipping. It
was also getting very hot. My CDs were very warm when ejected.

So I always use outboard amps... But thats with my listening habits.

Try it without an amp first. If you need more dbs then upgrade.

Garrett

"lmeadows" wrote in message
om...
"sanitarium" wrote in message

Ebay is your friend, both used or new.

IMHO profile CA, US acoustics, and Legacy amps are very good for the

$$$.
You can get a multichanel amp from either of them for under $90. Even

less
used. Of the 3 US acoustics is the best IMHO.

If you go with an amp, dont forget to budget for a power wire install

kit.

Search for cerwin vega, lanzar, profile, legacy, bazooka coaxial

speakers.
IMHO all will sound better than stock speakers and wont blow the bank.

A basic CD head should do you well. I'm gonna recommend poineer but

thats
my preference.

Garrett

Thanks for the replies.

Do you think an amp is necessary? Or, do you think I can get good
sound with just a CD player and new speakers?

sanitarium

Never compared the two, non-Zed versus Zed.

Agree the old Zed audio designs rock. I run hifonics VIII for all freqs
above 70Hz (odin, jupiter, vulcan, thor). Love the varipower circuit.
Seems to clip more gently when pushed to the limit.

Garrett

"narcolept" wrote in message
et...

"sanitarium" wrote in message
Ebay is your friend, both used or new.

IMHO profile CA, US acoustics, and Legacy amps are very good for the

$$$.
You can get a multichanel amp from either of them for under $90. Even

less
used. Of the 3 US acoustics is the best IMHO.

snip

The only US Acoustic amps worth a **** are the ones made by zed audio. FYI

narcolept
---
had one briefly to check it out, and it itself was barely worth a ****.

Bill Never

Like I said, nothing expensive, but
something that sounds good.

See my review on car speakers. (Click on my name above)

narcolept

Never compared the two, non-Zed versus Zed.

Agree the old Zed audio designs rock. I run hifonics VIII for all freqs
above 70Hz (odin, jupiter, vulcan, thor). Love the varipower circuit.
Seems to clip more gently when pushed to the limit.

Garrett

Generally, with the exception of the USX amps, which I just plain didn't
like, all zed stuff rules. I'm still using my ESX q1752

narcolept
---
got it from da lampman, da lampman! No one has told me where Kork Kneel has
gona these days, since lampmanaudio is gone, and so is teamlamp.. Someone
enlighten me on what I missed.

Tha Ghee

"narcolept" wrote in message
et...

"sanitarium" wrote in message
Never compared the two, non-Zed versus Zed.

Agree the old Zed audio designs rock. I run hifonics VIII for all freqs
above 70Hz (odin, jupiter, vulcan, thor). Love the varipower circuit.
Seems to clip more gently when pushed to the limit.

Garrett

Generally, with the exception of the USX amps, which I just plain didn't
like, all zed stuff rules. I'm still using my ESX q1752

narcolept
---
got it from da lampman, da lampman! No one has told me where Kork Kneel

has
gona these days, since lampmanaudio is gone, and so is teamlamp.. Someone
enlighten me on what I missed.

you like ESX I got there 400x2 amp for a friend and it was one of the
"dirtiest" amps I've ever heard. I saw a report from CSR a few months later
and learned it was 4% THD+N so that may have explained it

sancho

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

you like ESX I got there 400x2 amp for a friend and it was one of the
"dirtiest" amps I've ever heard. I saw a report from CSR a few months

later
and learned it was 4% THD+N so that may have explained it

perhaps you could supply a model number... the review you quote... anything?
--
sancho
http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/amplifiers/ESXq1202.htm

narcolept

"sancho" tR-003.at.ev1.dot.net wrote in message

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

you like ESX I got there 400x2 amp for a friend and it was one of the
"dirtiest" amps I've ever heard. I saw a report from CSR a few months

later
and learned it was 4% THD+N so that may have explained it

perhaps you could supply a model number... the review you quote...

anything?
--
sancho
http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/amplifiers/ESXq1202.htm

I'll bet one of Eddie's mogs that he's in know way talking about a quantum
series amp, or even know what they are.. Most likely he picked up a vision
series sometime about 4 years after the Q series was all gone, and based his
ASSumption of everything the company ever made, or had made for them, in
this case, on one piece of equipment.

narcolept
-----
who, for one, hates everything rainbow audio has ever made, because his
friend's sister's cousin's baby daddy's brother knew this guy who had to
return something for warranty work.

narcolept

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
As most people do about most comapnies. If he had a bad experience with a
company why would he come back to it?

Paul Vina

top posting is silly. It's like watching the end of a movie before the
beginning..

So anyway. This bad experience was after the series from the company in
questions was long since sold out. That's like saying you would never use
anything RF ever made because they suck a big dick now.. Or you wouldn't use
an orion amp because they made crap right before Directed bought out ADST...
Get the picture?

narcolept
------
and don't forget about the sister's girlfriend's gay brother's boyfriend's
mother's neice's baby daddy factor.

news

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

[...]

Paul Vina

Who's top posting? My post was just as relevant as your last post. What
matters is what they make NOW. Who cares if they used to make the best amp
in the world, if the'yre crap now, they're crap. Would it be worth it to
search out an older piece? Absolutely. But he did base his opinion on
actual use not what he "heard".
Think about it like cars. if you bought a Jaguar and it was a lemon would
you ever buy another one? Even if someone said "The older ones were better,
I don't know why you'd base your opinion on a new one" I doubt you'd take
the time to look for an older one, you'd just buy something else and be done
with it.
Don't jump on his case because you feel like being nostalgiac.

Paul Vina

"narcolept" wrote in message
t...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
As most people do about most comapnies. If he had a bad experience with

company why would he come back to it?

Paul Vina

top posting is silly. It's like watching the end of a movie before the
beginning..

So anyway. This bad experience was after the series from the company in
questions was long since sold out. That's like saying you would never use
anything RF ever made because they suck a big dick now.. Or you wouldn't

use
an orion amp because they made crap right before Directed bought out

ADST...
Get the picture?

narcolept
------
and don't forget about the sister's girlfriend's gay brother's boyfriend's
mother's neice's baby daddy factor.

news

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

[...]

narcolept

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Who's top posting? My post was just as relevant as your last post. What
matters is what they make NOW. Who cares if they used to make the best

amp
in the world, if the'yre crap now, they're crap. Would it be worth it to
search out an older piece? Absolutely. But he did base his opinion on
actual use not what he "heard".
Think about it like cars. if you bought a Jaguar and it was a lemon would
you ever buy another one? Even if someone said "The older ones were

better,
I don't know why you'd base your opinion on a new one" I doubt you'd take
the time to look for an older one, you'd just buy something else and be

done
with it.
Don't jump on his case because you feel like being nostalgiac.

Paul Vina

First of all, I didn't jump on his case. He became involved in mine by
spouting off about another amp entirely that THE ONE WE WERE DISCUSSING. THE
DISCUSSION WAS ABOUT THE ESX QUANTUM SERIES, BUT SPECIFICALLY ABOUT ZED
AUDIO AMPS. That's the point of the whole thing. I don't give a rats ass
about the vision series or any other esx amp, I was talking about the
quantum series, made by zed audio for esx, and sanitarium was talking about
other zed made amps. Has nothing to do with what Tha Ghee (god that's lame)
spouted off about

narcolept
------
thinks 99% of r.a.c should have to pass a "reading for ****tards" class

"narcolept" wrote in message
t...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

news

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

[...]

Paul Vina

I'll give you that, the Zed amps were (are) very nice designs. If I could
find some older HiFonics amps at a decent price that weren't beat to ****
I'd probably run them.

Paul Vina

"narcolept" wrote in message
. ..

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

"narcolept" wrote in message
t...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

news

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

[...]

Tha Ghee

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

you like ESX I got there 400x2 amp for a friend and it was one of the
"dirtiest" amps I've ever heard. I saw a report from CSR a few months

later
and learned it was 4% THD+N so that may have explained it

perhaps you could supply a model number... the review you quote...

anything?
--
sancho
http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/amplifiers/ESXq1202.htm

you can go to CSRs new website www.me-mag.com
and the model was a 2 channel that did like 200x2 and 400x2, and it was not
a good amp. not saying that all was bad, but after that if got bad reviews
over at termpro also

Tha Ghee

"narcolept" wrote in message
news
I'll bet one of Eddie's mogs that he's in know way talking about a quantum
series amp, or even know what they are.. Most likely he picked up a vision
series sometime about 4 years after the Q series was all gone, and based

his
ASSumption of everything the company ever made, or had made for them, in
this case, on one piece of equipment.

narcolept
-----
who, for one, hates everything rainbow audio has ever made, because his
friend's sister's cousin's baby daddy's brother knew this guy who had to
return something for warranty work.

boy your almost funny, leave it to Seinfeld. I'm just wondering if a female
told you that size doesn't matter...but I digress. No I've a few dealings
with there products but they seem to have spotty QC at best, loose RCAs, bad
traces on the board, and non mil-spec boards of suspect quality. So I've a
few run ins and I don't need a list of persons to help me decide about an
amp or company

Tha Ghee

"narcolept" wrote in message
. ..

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

"narcolept" wrote in message
t...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

news

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

[...]

I understand what both are saying but I was just relating my experience to
an amp from the company and if that one is bad don't you think this is
indicative of most of there amps?? If Chyr. makes one really bad car do you
think that the lower or equal line would be the same, better, or worse.

Narc. you do sometimes come across the wrong was by your typing, attitude,
grammar, style, not downing you just an observation.

narcolept

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

"narcolept" wrote in message
. ..

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

"narcolept" wrote in message
t...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

news

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

[...]

That last line english?

Anyway. You still haven't provided a model number, so know one knows if this
was a regular ESX amp, or one of the Q series, which was manufactured for
esx by an entirely different company, which was the whole spirit of this
thread, which you seemed to have dragged up to whine.

narcolept
----
How many times do you have to say "We were talking about the Q series"
before ****asses start to get the point?

sancho

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

you can go to CSRs new website www.me-mag.com
and the model was a 2 channel that did like 200x2 and 400x2, and it was

not
a good amp. not saying that all was bad, but after that if got bad

reviews
over at termpro also

or you could go there or anywhere and find the godamned amp you are talking
about and give us a direct link...
--
sancho
i don't get paid to babysit you

Tha Ghee

"Tha Ghee" wrote in message

you like ESX I got there 400x2 amp for a friend and it was one of the
"dirtiest" amps I've ever heard. I saw a report from CSR a few months

later
and learned it was 4% THD+N so that may have explained it

perhaps you could supply a model number... the review you quote...

anything?
--
sancho
http://www.teamrocs.com/reviews/amplifiers/ESXq1202.htm

you can go to CSRs new website www.me-mag.com
and the model was a 2 channel that did like 200x2 and 400x2, and it was

not
a good amp. not saying that all was bad, but after that if got bad

reviews
over at termpro also

to you and your lil butt buddy here is the info you requested V800.2 if you
need the serial number let me know I'll have him locate the warranty card it
was used quite often.