Desi Segundo III

Default Sub Box building questions?

Couple of questions to the sub box builders:

1. Do you have to use MDF?

2. Thickness? Does it matter?

Thanks,

me

Scott Johnson

"Desi Segundo III" wrote in message
Couple of questions to the sub box builders:

1. Do you have to use MDF?

No. you could use particle board or plywood.

2. Thickness? Does it matter?

use at least 5/8" , 3/4" is reccomended by most.

Thanks,

me

Jp

"Scott Johnson" wrote in message

"Desi Segundo III" wrote in message
Couple of questions to the sub box builders:

1. Do you have to use MDF?

supposedly it helps prevent air leakage, mine sounds good so maybe it

does...

2. Thickness? Does it matter?

Depends on the size of your subs, but most like 3/4

Thanks,

me

Gmac

Do not use plywood or partical board.
I repeat do not use either
I sub is basicaly a giant vibrater as far as plywood and partical board
is consered. It will vibrate fall apart. But the biggest consern is the
fact that both of those woods will flex changeing the pressure in the
box.

I have seen boxes made out of solid oak and other solid woods. But they
are very expensive.

Thickness once again is a stability issue you do not want the box to
flex. Normal 5/8 or 3/4 is great for most applications and bracing
larger boxes is also agreat idea. Some SPL boxes use 1" doubled up to
get enough strength.

DO NOT USE PARTICAL BOARD OR PLYWOOD

--
Gmac

Soundfreak03

Do not use plywood or partical board.
I repeat do not use either
I sub is basicaly a giant vibrater as far as plywood and partical board
is consered. It will vibrate fall apart

You sure about all of that? Some plywood I would agree with, but other ply is
great, and usually a lot more durable than MDF.
All of our dual 18 boxes are made with ply and they dont have any rattles or
flexing.

But the biggest consern is the
fact that both of those woods will flex changeing the pressure in the
box.

They can, but a properly built ply box will not.

DO NOT USE PARTICAL BOARD OR PLYWOOD

I agree that cheap 1/2" ply is not suitable, but you get some 13ply baltic
birch it will last forever. Or even 7 ply for smaller subs will hold up just
fine. And the boxes are more durable if they are moved than MDF.
So you CAN use ply, but use the right kind and built it right.

Les

Eddie Runner

Gmac wrote:

Do not use plywood or partical board.

Speaker builders have been using PLYWOOD and particle board for
decades... This guy doesnt know what he is talking about.!

Eddie Runner

Scott Johnson

I agree, Eddie. he's just another who thinks he knows what he's talking
about. a box made with MDF that is not constructed properly is just as bad
as one made with cheaper materials.