SQUOSH

Default Need Feedback on opening a Car Audio shop

Need some feedback from so people that have a shop to help me with a
project do for class. I work as an installer at Best Buy plan to open
my own shop someday
Jason

"SQUOSH" wrote in message
om...
Need some feedback from so people that have a shop to help me with a
project do for class. I work as an installer at Best Buy plan to open
my own shop someday

Firstly, communication is very important.

sanitarium

Be honest to customers and especially newbies. Dont lie and fabricate
bull**** just to hook in a sale.

Garrett

"SQUOSH" wrote in message
om...
Need some feedback from so people that have a shop to help me with a
project do for class. I work as an installer at Best Buy plan to open
my own shop someday

Tony Fernandes

Location, location, location.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
"Jason" wrote in message
"SQUOSH" wrote in message
om...
Need some feedback from so people that have a shop to help me with a
project do for class. I work as an installer at Best Buy plan to open
my own shop someday

Firstly, communication is very important.

Paul Vina

Location isn't all that big a deal if you're good. Most of the really nice
shops I've been to (or worked at) are usually out of the way but if you have
a good rep and treat your customers right they'll find you no matter what.

Paul Vina

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message
Location, location, location.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or,

that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we

wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact
"Jason" wrote in message
"SQUOSH" wrote in message
om...
Need some feedback from so people that have a shop to help me with a
project do for class. I work as an installer at Best Buy plan to open
my own shop someday

Firstly, communication is very important.

Scott Johnson

Be honest. know your products well. don't try to carry every brand and model
on the market. do good work at a good price. give a good warranty on
installation. don't bash other shops. if they do bad work, their customers
will become your customers. show your caliber of work and overwhelm people
with quality.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
Location isn't all that big a deal if you're good. Most of the really

nice
shops I've been to (or worked at) are usually out of the way but if you

have
a good rep and treat your customers right they'll find you no matter what.

Paul Vina

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message
Location, location, location.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or,

that
he simply doesn't exist at all? And that we created him so that we

wouldn't
have to feel so small and alone. -Eleanor Arroway, Contact
"Jason" wrote in message
"SQUOSH" wrote in message
om...
Need some feedback from so people that have a shop to help me with a
project do for class. I work as an installer at Best Buy plan to

open
my own shop someday

Firstly, communication is very important.

Steve Grauman

if a customer purchases a system off of you ... Headunit, front
speakers/ rear speakers, amp, wiring kit, subs, box... give a free
sequrity system.

The end-cost of that security system is going to come out of your pocket unless
you artifically inflate the cost of the other components and/or labor charges
to make up for it. Offering to give away a cheap system (something that cost
you less than $200 from a wholesaler) isn't an entirely bad idea, but you need
to consider how expensive of a sale would merit that kind of giveaway, and how
to handle the labor charges associated with installing it. Put the shop in an
easily accesible area, that's visible from the street, and in a perfect world,
near a high school or mall. Than advertise as much as you can afford to, part
of which should include having someone hand out single-sided ads (from
somewhere like Kinkos, on cheap paper) at the mall and local school (if you can
get away with it). Beyond that, it's all about having a friendly staff and at
least 2 installers who really know their ****, you can also hire a 3rd
nstaller, who'll work for less and learn from the two other guys. Beyond all
that, just carry a good selection. If you jump right into high-end, your
overhead costs will be tremedous and you'll probably drive yourself out of
business. But if you stick only to low and lower-middle end equipment, you'll
force yourself into direct competition with local chain stores, a bad iodea.

Eddie Runner

Scott Johnson wrote:

Be honest.

that would be rare in this biz, or any biz for that matter.

know your products well.

its good to know your competitions products as well.

don't try to carry every brand and model
on the market.

that would be impossible

do good work at a good price.

define good work and good price.
Good work to a businessman is nice but profitable with no returns
Good work to an installer is WOW look what I did to that car!
Good work to a customer is WOW look what he did to my car!

Good price to a businessman is WOW we made some money now
we can pay the light bill.
Good price to an installer is WOW I made some commission now i
can get laid!
Good price to a customer is FREE.

give a good warranty on
installation.

what makes a warranty good?
Some places SELL you extended warranties that most folks never use.
Some places cant get things right no matter how long the warranty is.

don't bash other shops.

even if they suck?

Eddie Runner

There are some GENIUS businessmen on this forum!
NOT!

wrote:

if a customer purchases a system off of you ... Headunit, front
speakers/ rear speakers, amp, wiring kit, subs, box... give a free
sequrity system.

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:29:46 GMT, Eddie Runner

i know of a BAD shop in my city. They install the stero, and if the
customer doesnt own a sequrity system, they go break into his car a
couple months later, and steal the stero.They have the address of the
customer from the transaction.

Why do you let this continue?
If you have evedence to support this then its YOUR DUTY to call the cops!

ok ...so i call the cops... they go scoop out the place... obviously
cant prove a thing... becasue the crimes are commited when the
installers are ot working. You cant just call the cops to fix that
problem up. They have to get caught in the act. They sell the
stolens tero equipment to people for dirt cheap...so it is sold
FAST...they will enver get caught with stolen goods on them

Paul Vina

ok ...so i call the cops... they go scoop out the place... obviously
cant prove a thing... becasue the crimes are commited when the
installers are ot working. You cant just call the cops to fix that
problem up. They have to get caught in the act. They sell the
stolens tero equipment to people for dirt cheap...so it is sold
FAST...they will enver get caught with stolen goods on them

You sure do know a lot about how they go about their "business".........

Paul Vina

Eddie Runner

if no one ever complains about the place to the cops then
they will never go away... Even if the cops dont do anything
right now, if they get anough complaints they they may decide
to STING the bad guys, or at least be aware and keep thier
eyes open in the future.... Maybe even asking victims where they
got the stuff installed before it was stolen.

We had a situation here in my city where one of the local pro
football players had a HUGE system done by a shop and it was
all stolen with in 24 hours of him taking delivery of the goodies.
The football player thought it was the shop that did the work
and we consulted with the police dept on case... We do alot
of work with the cops on stuff so they sometimes call us when
they have installer type questions... ;-)

I dont know what the outcome was of this case...

Eddie Runner
http://www.installer.com/tech/

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:29:46 GMT, Eddie Runner

i know of a BAD shop in my city. They install the stero, and if the
customer doesnt own a sequrity system, they go break into his car a
couple months later, and steal the stero.They have the address of the
customer from the transaction.

Why do you let this continue?
If you have evedence to support this then its YOUR DUTY to call the cops!

ok ...so i call the cops... they go scoop out the place... obviously
cant prove a thing... becasue the crimes are commited when the
installers are ot working. You cant just call the cops to fix that
problem up. They have to get caught in the act. They sell the
stolens tero equipment to people for dirt cheap...so it is sold
FAST...they will enver get caught with stolen goods on them

Steve Grauman

they go scoop out the place...

Do they have sccop training from Baskin Robbins? Otherwise, they may not be
qualified.

they will enver get caught with stolen goods on them

The Police have access to stolen property reports, even if the shop isn't
caught stealing, they can be caught selling stolen goods.

SQUOSH

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:29:46 GMT, Eddie Runner

i know of a BAD shop in my city. They install the stero, and if the
customer doesnt own a sequrity system, they go break into his car a
couple months later, and steal the stero.They have the address of the
customer from the transaction.

Why do you let this continue?
If you have evedence to support this then its YOUR DUTY to call the cops!

ok ...so i call the cops... they go scoop out the place... obviously
cant prove a thing... becasue the crimes are commited when the
installers are ot working. You cant just call the cops to fix that
problem up. They have to get caught in the act. They sell the
stolens tero equipment to people for dirt cheap...so it is sold
FAST...they will enver get caught with stolen goods on them

Ight thanks guys dont need anymore feeback got enough to get a good
grade on the project
Dan-O

If the make, model and serial numbers of the stolen equipment were
recorded then somebody could get pulled over for a traffic violation.
If the stuff is loose, out in full view instead of installed neatly then
there's a chance of it being recovered. (as my cop in the family always
said, "these people aren't rocket scientists") Also in this province
pawn shops are required to keep records of everything, they aren't the
fencing operations some people think.