Sam Carleton

Default Memphis Car Audio amps

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Memphis Car Audio
amps. Are they any good? What are the general thoughts on them in
this forum?

Sam

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will
n8 skow

Unfortunetly there's no "right way" we can answer your first question since
'good' is such a subjective term.

If you asked if they put out rated power, I could say "yes".

As far as general thoughts - my experience with Memphis (both the company
and the product) has been great. It's affordable, the amps look pretty nice
(with the exception of the new orange logo), and they put out a good deal of
power in a small package.

n8

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Memphis Car Audio
amps. Are they any good? What are the general thoughts on them in
this forum?

Sam

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will
make this engine more powerful global resource.
http://www.miltonstreet.com/scarleton/links/

n8 skow

So do you also hate PPI ,JL Audio, and Phoenix Gold? Because you have to buy
their gear at a authorized dealer? Do you buy EVERYTHING you have from the
comfort of your recliner?

n8

My only bitch about Memphis is that you have to purchase their stuff
through a retailer, and the markup is normally high. You can often find
their stuff on ebay, but odds are ... if you are looking for something
specific, you wont find it on ebay.

As an example, I wanted a ST-250D. The local retailer wanted $299 for
it. I bought it on ebay (brand new) for less than half that price ($135
after shipping). That should give you an indication as to how much
these guys mark this stuff up.

I wound up selling it to someone else on ebay, as I ultimately needed
something with more power.

Sam Carleton

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 at 23:30 GMT, Mike Sims wrote:
Sam says...
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Memphis Car Audio
amps. Are they any good? What are the general thoughts on them in
this forum?

My only bitch about Memphis is that you have to purchase their stuff
through a retailer, and the markup is normally high.

Correct me if I am mistaken, many of the quality car audio
manufactors only go though retail local stores. Is it truly that
abnormal?

As an example, I wanted a ST-250D. The local retailer wanted $299
for it. I bought it on ebay (brand new) for less than half that
price ($135 after shipping). That should give you an indication
as to how much these guys mark this stuff up.

Oh, 100% markup is not that high. Often a markup of only 100% is
LOW. When you take into account all the costs involved in running a
business, they really are not making all that much. When you take
into account what you get for the extra money, it MIGHT be worth it.
More and more often it is to me:

1: Ability to touch and feel before I buy.
2: Ability to get ideas, thoughts, and advise from folks that do
this stuff for a living. (yes at times it is bad or shaded advice,
it is our job to educate ourselve)
3: Ease of getting replacements if something breaks.
4: Knowing that you are helping out the local economy.
5: When it comes to car audio, you are often helping out a small
business person.

I am sure I have left many things out and I know there are many
advantages to mail order. My only point is that I do value buying
from local folks, personally

--
See my links engine for a collection of sites that
might be of interest to you. Your additions will
make this engine more powerful global resource.
http://www.miltonstreet.com/scarleton/links/

Mike Sims

says...

My only bitch about Memphis is that you have to purchase their stuff
through a retailer, and the markup is normally high.

Correct me if I am mistaken, many of the quality car audio
manufactors only go though retail local stores. Is it truly that
abnormal?

Apparently not.

[...]

Which I am 100% in support of.

I am sure I have left many things out and I know there are many
advantages to mail order. My only point is that I do value buying
from local folks, personally

You must have local folks with a work ethic. Here has been my
experience with car audio shops. Keep in mind, I drive up in a 95
Sentra, so I have to assume that they think I don't have any money to
actually buy anything. In reality, I have a healthy income, I just
happen to really like my Nissan. It has been really good to me over the
years ... I am going to buy a new car after I finish my degree ... but
thats another topic for another list ...

OK ... back to what I have seen ...

Local 'high quality' audio shop is called 'On The Go Audio'. They have
been around since the late 1980's, and the business was started by a
classmates father (when I was in high school). They have always had a
good reputation around here. So when I started out on this venture, I
went straight to them, especially after my boss had their gear installed
in his truck (their GEAR, but an independent installer). I liked what I
heard from Memphis, so I went down there to check out speakers and such.
The sales person was reluctant to talk to me, and was not showing me
what I wanted to hear ... he showed me the 'premium' component speakers,
but talked to me as though it were out of my price range. I told him
that I wanted to hear them on his best amp. He hit the buttons, and put
on a local FM station. I liked them, and then asked him to kick in a
sub woofer ... he tried, but said that the sub bridge setup was damaged,
and that he could not get the sub woofers to work ... at all. I said I
would wait if they wanted to look into the problem, but he assured me
that he could not fix it, and to come back tomorrow. To make a long
story short, I came back 5 times over three weeks. Never did get to
hear a sub. SO, I did ZERO business with them ... I was ready to drop
about $1500 on a system.

SO ... a new place opened up down the street called L.A. Stereo
(somewhat of a discount shop). Ran by some folks who obviously are not
native to this country, which is fine. They were energetic, friendly,
and eager to sell ... unfortunately, they did not have a demo area, and
three months later ... still don't. I did buy a set of $85 6.5"
speakers from them for rear fill. I really like them.

Then there is the Al & Ed's chain, which is about 45 minutes away.
First time I went in there, the sales person was knowledgeable, friendly
etc ... but their prices were EXTREME ... I'm talking $650 for a set of
components, which sounded marginal at best.

Then of course, there is Best Buy and Circuit City ... but we all know
what they carry. They don't seem to carry quality stuff from what I
have experienced ... especially Best Buy ... the best set of components
they have are $150 - $200 / 65 Watt Sony's (or maybe Blaupunkts) ...
either way ... I know that they paid no more than $100 for them, so they
can't be all that great.

My last resort was learning from you folks in here, and making my
purchases on the Internet. I wound up spending $1300 for everything,
and I did the install myself. The only thing I don't like are the
Diamond Audio component speakers, as they actually hurt my ears at the
higher frequencies.

SmilingSinner

what kind of hu are you running cuz my alpine I can chooze to attenuate
sound witthin the parameters of certain frequencies selected by htz gaps-
that may help with the high frequencies as may putting your trble a little
in the neg
"Mike Sims" wrote in message
says...

[...]

n8 skow

An internet economy does not necessarily mean you should be able to get
everything cheaper - it means you level the playing field between the big
retail 'chain' stores and the small 1-bay install shops through
accessibility. Generally an internet store 'will' have very little
overhead - and as such, can afford to sell at minimum MSRP, but a real life
store has many bills to pay... Rent for the building - AC - electricity,
money for advertising via tv/radio/newspaper, expenses for tools and
continued training programs for new product, and - hopefully a little left
over to pay the wages of the hard working audio enthusiast trying to help
you find what you need.

Sticker prices are not just some magic number someone pulled out of the
air... it's based on what the total costs are to bring that product to you -
and as such, prices will vary slightly from one dealer to the next depending
on how efficient their able to run their business.

Your experience with the ST-250 is nothing to get too excited over.
Electronics in general typically only have a 50% value 2nd hand - regardless
of how 'unused' it may be. $299 for that amp is about right on mark - with
about $100 over 'cost' in the price tag - so your $135 is really not that
big of a savings as you may think.

Lowering prices is not going to guarantee an increase in sells - and in the
current economic state - it would be an unnecessary risk for a store to
suddenly start slashing prices 15% and expect a flood of people to beat a
path to your front door. One of the biggest problems is just the pure
abundance of identical gear on the market competing for your dollar... And
in the last 10 years - car audio has also had to compete with the growing
video game and movie theatre markets - leaving the target audience with less
money to spend on stereos.

So how does a retail store compete with online dealers? Many of the less
reputable online sites advertise below 'cost' prices when they don't even
have the product in their possession - there's no way a actual shop can do
that and keep customers coming back in the door. Not to mention that the
majority of online sites that sell brand name gear are doing so illegally
thru transshipping... Can you honestly tell this newsgroup your more
comfortable giving out your credit card number to a no-name-fly-by-nite shop
than walking in the front door of a reputable dealer?

Now go take a look at some of the 'authorized' online dealers. I went to
Crutchfield just for example and looked at some Kicker and Rockford. There's
not one thing I could buy in there cheaper than by jumping in the car and
going down to the stereo shop. In fact - by the time you add S/H, I'd end up
paying more in many cases - (not to mention the inconvenience of having to
mail the unit back for warranty work, exchanges, etc.) and I can take it
home that day...

If you had bad experiences with a local shop - that's one thing, tell them
why you don't want to buy from them (so they 'might' learn from it) and go
shop somewhere else - but to be 'cheap' just so you can save a freakin
buck - that's another - continue to buy your gear used if you won't afford
the premium prices.

Here's a few things you'll miss out on by 'not' buying from a shop though:

1. Ease of warranty work, simply take the unit down to the shop with a sales
receipt and no visible abuse to the product. Some shops will simply give you
a replacement item right there.

2. Professional help available if you need help hooking something up or need
help with the features of a product.

3. Most shops will have product out on demo so you can try before you buy.

n8

In short, NO, I find little value in retail stores who jack up their
prices as much as they do. If they want to participate in an Internet
economy, they need to learn how to adapt, while still making a profit.

Hope that answers your question.