Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Default Microphone for an RTA?

Last night I just had a brilliant idea (well, brilliant for me), I decided
to turn my old Pentium II laptop, that I never use, into a portable RTA (my
new Alpine 9853 has a 1/3 octave parametric EQ). I downloaded a program
called TrueRTA and all I need now is a good microphone. But I am not rich,
like Tony and has Dynaudio 3-ways and new Mustangs . So I'm trying to do
this on the cheap. Can anyone suggest what kind of microphone I should be
looking for? Will ANY full-range microphone work? Any advice on this
subject would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
Last night I just had a brilliant idea (well, brilliant for me), I decided
to turn my old Pentium II laptop, that I never use, into a portable RTA
(my new Alpine 9853 has a 1/3 octave parametric EQ). I downloaded a
program called TrueRTA and all I need now is a good microphone. But I am
not rich, like Tony and has Dynaudio 3-ways and new Mustangs . So I'm
trying to do this on the cheap. Can anyone suggest what kind of
microphone I should be looking for? Will ANY full-range microphone work?
Any advice on this subject would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

MOSFET

You will need an external sound card with phantom power supplied and a
calibrated mic. The Behringer ECM8000 is the cheapest I have found.

Chad

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Chad, that's not what I wanted to hear. So you're saying the sound card in
my Toshiba Portege 7020CT can't perform RTA duties? Why? It can play CD's
and it has a microphone jack. I've tested it with a really cheap microphone
and it APPEARS to work (the bars on the analyzer bar graph respond when I
speak into the microphone). What's the problem?

MOSFET

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
Last night I just had a brilliant idea (well, brilliant for me), I
decided to turn my old Pentium II laptop, that I never use, into a
portable RTA (my new Alpine 9853 has a 1/3 octave parametric EQ). I
downloaded a program called TrueRTA and all I need now is a good
microphone. But I am not rich, like Tony and has Dynaudio 3-ways and new
Mustangs . So I'm trying to do this on the cheap. Can anyone suggest
what kind of microphone I should be looking for? Will ANY full-range
microphone work? Any advice on this subject would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

MOSFET

You will need an external sound card with phantom power supplied and a
calibrated mic. The Behringer ECM8000 is the cheapest I have found.

Chad

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cyrus

In article ,
"MOSFET" wrote:

Chad, that's not what I wanted to hear. So you're saying the sound card in
my Toshiba Portege 7020CT can't perform RTA duties? Why? It can play CD's
and it has a microphone jack. I've tested it with a really cheap microphone
and it APPEARS to work (the bars on the analyzer bar graph respond when I
speak into the microphone). What's the problem?

MOSFET

Regular dynamic mics will work, but the ECM8000 and the Nady knockoff
are condenser mics and need phantom power to work. Another option would
be to acquire a cheap mixer from Behringer as well to perform the
phantom power duties.

Supposedly both are sufficient for acoustical measurements, any other
option is about 10x as much.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Cyrus wrote:
In article ,
"MOSFET" wrote:

Chad, that's not what I wanted to hear. So you're saying the sound card in
my Toshiba Portege 7020CT can't perform RTA duties? Why? It can play CD's
and it has a microphone jack. I've tested it with a really cheap microphone
and it APPEARS to work (the bars on the analyzer bar graph respond when I
speak into the microphone). What's the problem?

MOSFET

Regular dynamic mics will work, but the ECM8000 and the Nady knockoff
are condenser mics and need phantom power to work. Another option would
be to acquire a cheap mixer from Behringer as well to perform the
phantom power duties.

Supposedly both are sufficient for acoustical measurements, any other
option is about 10x as much.

Most any mic will "work", and the problem is not in the sound card. The
problem is that most mics have a definite response curve of their own,
and that will affect your RTA readings. If the mic has a deficiency at
1kHz,for example, your RTA will show a dip at 1kHz where one might not
exist; if you EQ to compensate for that displayed dip, you'll end up
with a peak at 1kHz instead. Most dynamics have a decidedly reduced top
end compared to condenser mics, and you could very likely end up with an
extra-bright top end response.

Mics designed for RTA use are designed to have as flat a response as
possible. Not only are they consensers, requiring a power supply, but
their "power supply" unit will include an EQ circuit that's designed
specifically to flatten the output for that particular mic, providing a
"calibrated" flat signal to the RTA or RTA software.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-0, 03/14/2006
Tested on: 3/14/2006 7:05:31 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Thanks Matt for that detailed answer. Now I understand the problem and that
does make sense. Rats, I thought I had come up with a way of saving over
$1000 compared to buying an RTA. Well, maybe I can find a condenser mic on
Ebay.

MOSFET

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
Cyrus wrote:
In article ,
"MOSFET" wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

MOSFET wrote:
Thanks Matt for that detailed answer. Now I understand the problem and that
does make sense. Rats, I thought I had come up with a way of saving over
$1000 compared to buying an RTA. Well, maybe I can find a condenser mic on
Ebay.

Take a look at SmaartLive by SIA Software (www.siasoft.com) - excellent
powerful RTA software, free demo version available from their website.
They also sell calibrated mics via their online store, starting at $180:
https://loudstore.coresys.com/OA_HTM...?section=10493
(if the link doesn't work, go to their website, go the Sales link, and
follow through to their online store).

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-0, 03/14/2006
Tested on: 3/14/2006 8:56:03 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Why what? Why do I need an RTA? So I have a CLUE how to set that 1/3
octave parametric EQ.

MOSFET

"RG" wrote in message
Why ????????????????

-RG

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
Last night I just had a brilliant idea (well, brilliant for me), I
decided to turn my old Pentium II laptop, that I never use, into a
portable RTA (my new Alpine 9853 has a 1/3 octave parametric EQ). I
downloaded a program called TrueRTA and all I need now is a good
microphone. But I am not rich, like Tony and has Dynaudio 3-ways and new
Mustangs . So I'm trying to do this on the cheap. Can anyone suggest
what kind of microphone I should be looking for? Will ANY full-range
microphone work? Any advice on this subject would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
Why what? Why do I need an RTA? So I have a CLUE how to set that 1/3
octave parametric EQ.

MOSFET

"RG" wrote in message
Why ????????????????

-RG

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
Last night I just had a brilliant idea (well, brilliant for me), I
decided to turn my old Pentium II laptop, that I never use, into a
portable RTA (my new Alpine 9853 has a 1/3 octave parametric EQ). I
downloaded a program called TrueRTA and all I need now is a good
microphone. But I am not rich, like Tony and has Dynaudio 3-ways and new
Mustangs . So I'm trying to do this on the cheap. Can anyone suggest
what kind of microphone I should be looking for? Will ANY full-range
microphone work? Any advice on this subject would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

MOSFET

These microphones responses are never truely flat. You can make something
for a few dollars. You can buy a decent mic for $50.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHECM8000
This one needs some voltage like most others.
If your into DIY, see......
http://www.pitt.edu/~szekeres/mic/mic.htm

greg

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ian

MOSFET wrote:
Why what? Why do I need an RTA? So I have a CLUE how to set that 1/3
octave parametric EQ.

A 1/3 octave *parametric* EQ?

Aren't "1/3 octave" and "parametric" mutually exclusive?

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Yes, they are different. It was just my quick way of saying a 5 band
parametric EQ with 33 bands (1/3 octave steps) to choose from. See, isn't
1/3 octave parametric EQ easier to say?

MOSFET

"Ian" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
Why what? Why do I need an RTA? So I have a CLUE how to set that 1/3
octave parametric EQ.

A 1/3 octave *parametric* EQ?

Aren't "1/3 octave" and "parametric" mutually exclusive?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Ian wrote:
MOSFET wrote:

Why what? Why do I need an RTA? So I have a CLUE how to set that 1/3
octave parametric EQ.

A 1/3 octave *parametric* EQ?

Aren't "1/3 octave" and "parametric" mutually exclusive?

Not necessarily... but in practice, genereally, yes. You COULD make a
31-band parametric, but it would fall into the "extreme overkill"
category.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-0, 03/14/2006
Tested on: 3/15/2006 7:46:02 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ian

MOSFET wrote:
Yes, they are different. It was just my quick way of saying a 5 band
parametric EQ with 33 bands (1/3 octave steps) to choose from. See, isn't
1/3 octave parametric EQ easier to say?

I guess, if you like confusing people.

Or, as Matt suggested, if you like sounding like you're going for
extreme overkill (Not that this would be out-of-the-ordinary for
any of us :-)

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Ian wrote:
MOSFET wrote:

Yes, they are different. It was just my quick way of saying a 5 band
parametric EQ with 33 bands (1/3 octave steps) to choose from. See,
isn't 1/3 octave parametric EQ easier to say?

I guess, if you like confusing people.

Or, as Matt suggested, if you like sounding like you're going for
extreme overkill (Not that this would be out-of-the-ordinary for
any of us :-)

Hey! Just because I have separate 1000W amps running bridged mono to
each of my 16 tweeters...

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0611-1, 03/16/2006
Tested on: 3/16/2006 10:27:10 AM

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Hey! Just because I have separate 1000W amps running bridged mono to each
of my 16 tweeters...

Hey! I have 18 tweeters! Get it right!

MOSFET

Microphone Reviews [email protected] Pro Audio 100 February 1st 06 02:23 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
FS: Pro Audio Gear, Parts, Accessories [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 28th 05 04:51 PM