Diana Mc

Default Please Help Update Older System

I hope someone here can help me. About 13 years ago, I replaced the
elderly little stereo unit I'd had since high school with a fairly
low-cost component stereo system. I've been happy with it but the
Technics cd changer has been acting up for a couple of years and I
decided to replace it.

I found out that technology has changed a lot and I finally decided to
buy a DVD player since there weren't a lot of cd changers to choose
from (and besides I can play my 2 music DVDs).

The problem is that the sound doesn't seem very good and I don't know
if I need to get a new receiver or what. The receiver was originally
somewhat underpowered and I thought I'd probably replace it some day
but I've never needed to. My tv is a very basic 19" model.

Here's what I have:

Panasonic DVD-F85 DVD/CD player
JVC RX-301 receiver, 40 watts per channel
Advent Legacy II floor speakers (2)
(tape deck, turntable but I assume they don't matter)

I've tried the audio through both the 2 speaker and the front speakers
for the surround sound connection and there doesn't seem to be much
difference. If one's better, I think it's the surround sound.

I'd very much appreciate any help. I thought it would be really easy
to replace my cd player!

Diana