Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] wackamack@gmail.com is offline

Default car amp and sub for indoor use?

Hi, I have a sony xplode 800W amp with a 12" infinity sub, and I was
wondering if there is a semi-cheap way to hook it up in my home. What
would be the safest way and what would i have to look out for?

I would like to keep noise to a minimal level so that i can have a good
listening environment but still have power going to the amp.

Is there a way to convert the power from the wall 120v i belive to a
12v with the equivilant current to power my amp? I don't really want to
worry about the battery dying and not having enough power, and i don't
think having a car battery in my house to power the system is entirely
safe anyways.

any suggestions?

please e-mail me at wackamack @ hotmail.com (not gmail, i only made
that account to get here)

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I have a sony xplode 800W amp with a 12" infinity sub, and I was
wondering if there is a semi-cheap way to hook it up in my home. What
would be the safest way and what would i have to look out for?

I would like to keep noise to a minimal level so that i can have a good
listening environment but still have power going to the amp.

Is there a way to convert the power from the wall 120v i belive to a
12v with the equivilant current to power my amp? I don't really want to
worry about the battery dying and not having enough power, and i don't
think having a car battery in my house to power the system is entirely
safe anyways.

any suggestions?

please e-mail me at wackamack @ hotmail.com (not gmail, i only made
that account to get here)

You will need a 12 volt power supply with a minimum of 50 amp supply
current, and a car battery.
I would use a dry cell battery and not a lead acid battery.
price can be $150 and up depending on new or used and brand

Posted to rec.audio.car
PanHandler PanHandler is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi, I have a sony xplode 800W amp with a 12" infinity sub, and I was
wondering if there is a semi-cheap way to hook it up in my home. What
would be the safest way and what would i have to look out for?
I would like to keep noise to a minimal level so that i can have a good
listening environment but still have power going to the amp.
Is there a way to convert the power from the wall 120v i belive to a
12v with the equivilant current to power my amp? I don't really want to
worry about the battery dying and not having enough power, and i don't
think having a car battery in my house to power the system is entirely
safe anyways.

Hi - Been there, done that, and still working on it! I included two 12V
computer fans powered by an old computer supply, so it's not silent,
although on a gig there's plenty of crowd noise and LOUD music to mask the
fan noise. 12V power is from a Pyramid PS-36KX unit, and although not
capable of getting full power from the amp, there's enough clean loud sound
to more than fill a 75' x 125' room, with 75 + people. They must have liked
it - the party lasted til 4am!
Joe Arnold
Links to pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...4776350&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2367000&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2365794&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...0951494&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...0905039&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...0951493&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2365798&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6445239&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...6440722&size=o

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
Where did the math come from to get this?

Ohms law
P/E=I
800watts/14volts=57amps
800w/12v=67amps

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] ephedralover@hotmail.com is offline

PanHandler wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Are those the infamous 'White Van Speakers' I see in there??

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

You forgot to adjust your math for a sony 800 watt amp. 200 Watts x 1 @ 4 ohms
RMS or 400 Watts x 1 @ 2 ohms RMS. Why would he need a battery along with a
power supply?

In article , "e-nigma"
wrote:

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
Where did the math come from to get this?

Ohms law
P/E=I
800watts/14volts=57amps
800w/12v=67amps

Posted to rec.audio.car
PanHandler PanHandler is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Are those the infamous 'White Van Speakers' I see in there??

Noop - built them myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2755655&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2367910&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2367909&size=o

Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

"Captain Howdy" wrote in message
You forgot to adjust your math for a sony 800 watt amp. 200 Watts x 1 @ 4
ohms
RMS or 400 Watts x 1 @ 2 ohms RMS. Why would he need a battery along with
power supply?

My math was from info provided. How do you know that amp is putting out that
wattage with the info provided?
A battery is the best niose filter and Can handle the high current spikes
that the power supply can not.

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] ephedralover@hotmail.com is offline

PanHandler wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Are those the infamous 'White Van Speakers' I see in there??

Noop - built them myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2755655&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2367910&size=o

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2367909&size=o

Nice. What drivers are those? And is that an old school Infinity
crossover?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

I have seen my share of sony amps and they are all rate in peak values, the
are lables in great big letters. Have you seen a Sony 800 watt rms amp, I
haven't.

A good DC power supply like the one that I have pointed out will be clean and
also rated for surge output.. This is why I was wondering why you had a
battery in the mix.

My math was from info provided. How do you know that amp is putting out that
wattage with the info provided?
A battery is the best niose filter and Can handle the high current spikes
that the power supply can not.

Posted to rec.audio.car
PanHandler PanHandler is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

Nice. What drivers are those? And is that an old school Infinity
crossover?

Thanks.
The drivers are 'Logic' brand.
http://www.logicsoundlab.com/CLX12.html

http://www.logicsoundlab.com/ZX620.html

The controls you see are for tweeter & mid levels, and a tweeter fuse. They
came from an old (1979) pair of Infinity RSM's:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joearnold/160902701/
http://www.bobbyshred.com/infinity/RSM.html

In the above pics, the original EMIT tweeters and 12" woofers are long gone,
and the enclosures were in rough shape, hence the new boxes. The original
Infinity X-overs (modded) are now being used. This project has been a TRIP!
Thanks to the great folks in this group, it's also been a great learning
experience.
Joe Arnold

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] wackamack@gmail.com is offline

wow... didn't expect to get this many replies this quickly and this
helpful... so thanks already!

one question that still remains, would i hook up a battery and a a PSU
or just the battery or just the PSU etc? I was hoping that i could take
out the battery and use just the PSU but i couldn't find any under $150
that did what i needed. Or do i have to meet the recommentded power for
the amp before doing damage to it?

I have decided to test it in something like my room, so i would want
something that wouldn't kill me, i got the dry cell battery suggestion
for that.

other questions i have a how long wound i be able to play music
with? is it worth the money or should i just get a computer system with
a 10" sub? (put me out of my way about $400 but whatever, i want better
sound than this crappy 2 speaker stereo i got)

I found that PSU that you were talking about on Ebay, the PYRAMID
PHASE III 12V-15V 35AMP REGULATED POWER SUPPLY. (copy and pasted from
e-bay) do you think that would power my sub amp?

i found a few sites that i think have good spec info on my amp, i will
post a few, some are american. i don't think it should matter.

http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_...ony_XM-1252GTR

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WW4sseI...20&I=158XM1252

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

thanks for all the help guys, you are awsome

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

IMO Purchasing a 120v/ac plate amp for that sub would be cheaper and
easier.

--
-Cyrus

I totally agree. This question has popped up time and time again for over a
decade on RAC. Unfortunately, technology has not changed the answer much.
It is just plain expensive to convert 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC WITH
SUFFICIENT AMPERAGE to power a car audio amplifier (ESPECIALLY a subwoofer
system with it's characteristically high peak current demands).

I looked into this once MANY years ago (17, to be exact) as I had an extra
HU and amps lying around and wanted to build a system for my garage.
Frankly, not much has changed since then when it comes to the cost of large
transformers which are needed to accomplish this.

In almost every case, you are better off buying an amp designed for home
use. Lots of folks try to sell their older two channel gear as they upgrade
to multi-channel home-theater amplifiers. Ebay is great place to look for
used two channel amps. You can find some really good deals on two channel
amps from respectable brands like Adcom, Denon and Yamaha.

However, if you plan to use the system for only short periods of time (like
no more than an hour), then I suppose a relatively low cost option might be
a car battery connected to some type of car battery charger (someone has
already suggested this I believe). The amps could get all the current they
need from the battery and when the system was not in use the battery could
recharge. Frankly, though, this is kind of hokey, IMHO.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] wackamack@hotmail.com is offline

IMO Purchasing a 120v/ac plate amp for that sub would be cheaper and
easier.

--
-Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

I don't know if your cough was a message... but i am wondering if
anyone can gimme a good site for one of these plate apms or a store
location in ottawa.

thanks guys. been a great help

just for ****s and giggles... what does an average amp use for...
amps.... i can covert to 12v with 6amps but i doubt that is enough.
don't want to start fires.

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] wackamack@hotmail.com is offline

another question... if i get a plate amp... could i get another sub...
i was thinkin of gettin my friend to buy the infinity and i could go
grab a 12" explode... would the plate amp be able to power the car sub?
any conflicts? thanks...

Randy

Posted to rec.audio.car
Patented17 Patented17 is offline

partsexpress.com

--
Patented17
Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma e-nigma is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...

IMO Purchasing a 120v/ac plate amp for that sub would be cheaper and
easier.

--
-Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

I don't know if your cough was a message... but i am wondering if
anyone can gimme a good site for one of these plate apms or a store
location in ottawa.

thanks guys. been a great help

just for ****s and giggles... what does an average amp use for...
amps.... i can covert to 12v with 6amps but i doubt that is enough.
don't want to start fires.

I would say the average is between 20-30 amps

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] wackamack@hotmail.com is offline

final question, don't know if i asked this already, would it be safe to
have the battery hooked up to the charger while it is playing? or is
that ill advised? just wondering if i could get a couple more hours out
of it if it was charging at the same time withought burning out the
charger...

Randy

aright well i am only going to be using the system for a bit at a
time... probably some showing off involved and you guys will definately
be mentioned. thanks guys for all the help. i think i got all the help
i needed and am ready to undertake the remainder of the project.

tanks for all the help guys... and MOSFET... you are on this forum way
to much... lol joking ur help was great along with everyone elses.

happy listening and wish me luck...

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
final question, don't know if i asked this already, would it be safe to
have the battery hooked up to the charger while it is playing? or is
that ill advised? just wondering if i could get a couple more hours out
of it if it was charging at the same time withought burning out the
charger...

Randy

aright well i am only going to be using the system for a bit at a
time... probably some showing off involved and you guys will definately
be mentioned. thanks guys for all the help. i think i got all the help
i needed and am ready to undertake the remainder of the project.

tanks for all the help guys... and MOSFET... you are on this forum way
to much... lol joking ur help was great along with everyone elses.
happy listening and wish me luck...

LOL My wife tells me this sometimes, too.

It should be OK to use the charger while drawing current. I can't see where
that would cause any problems.

MOSFET