SVTBrit SVTBrit is offline
Junior Member

Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via ICQ to SVTBrit
Default a/d/s parts and help with setup?

I have a selection of older a/d/s components that I'd like to use for building a setup for my garage. The items include PQ8 and PS5 amps, three AX2e crossovers and a 642CSi electronic crossover. I also have an AC206 DIN distribution box. The problem is that along with an old (but new in box) Kenwood HU, I can't find the manuals, or many cables. I think the last house move made sure they’re buried in boxes that may never be opened!!!!!

Making things worse, it's been years since I hooked up a car audio, so I'm in need of any help I can get.

First off, I need to find out where I can get documentation (downloadable or purchasable), followed by a place I can buy the a/d/s cabling (AC20X stuff) that I am missing.

Lastly, any advice on how I might maximize all of these items for bolting them to a bit of MDF to hang on the garage wall would all be gratefully received.

I obviously need to buy a DC power supply, but that’s the least of my worries.

The speakers I have are a pair of a/d/s 200i's and some JBL GTO503 and GTO602 speakers. Lastly, I have some Boston Acoustic 4.5 inch mids with separate 1 inch tweeters.

It’s a mishmash, but I'd like to gain some use out of these museum pieces!!!!
joe.ker

The pwer supply is going to be very important. Your going to need atleast a
50 amp DC power supply and a marine or gelcel battery.
Even with that, it may shut off at high volume after playing for a while. If
your not running a sub then it may not be a problem.
I sell head unit wiring harnesses on ebay if you need one for the kenwood
seller id ed_nigma

--
The Clown Prince of Car Stereo

"SVTBrit" wrote in message

[...]

MZ

Directed, which now owns a/d/s/, can probably hook you up with some of those
accessories. The power supply is going to cost you a fortune though.

If you don't want the stuff though, list some prices.

"SVTBrit" wrote in message

[...]

MOSFET

Mark is right, I thought about doing this once in my garage as I had a ton
of old gear laying around. The power supply I needed would have cost about
$300 (a battery charger won't cut it). It was cheaper to just buy a big
boom box! Maybe AC to DC converters have gone down in price over the last
few years, but I don't think so.

MOSFET

"SVTBrit" wrote in message

[...]

SVTBrit SVTBrit is offline
Junior Member

Location: Los Angeles
Send a message via ICQ to SVTBrit

Guys,

Many thanks for your responses. I have indeed observed that the PS might add a fair cost to the project, but given that I have the equipment, it would be the only major cost. I'd been looking at about a 40A spec, as I won't be adding a sub-woofer. Apart from anything else, it would be fun to put it all together...a learning experience for me. At least if I can get the system put together, I can temporarily run it from a charged battery to test it, before seeing if the sound quality warrants the purchase of the PS!

I've found the manual to the amps, and they do show me how the crossovers are used. We'll see!

As for directed, I'll check them out...along with your e-bay stuff joe.ker.

Again thanks for the help.

Cheers, Shane