bayydogg

Default Is there a less expensive alternative to a Neumann U87?

I can't afford that mic, but I really need a good male vocal mic. For
a used mic, I might go up to $1000 US. Geez, even the U87 is higher
than that used! Any ideas? Thanks.
LJM

bayydogg wrote:

I can't afford that mic, but I really need a good male vocal mic. For
a used mic, I might go up to $1000 US. Geez, even the U87 is higher
than that used! Any ideas? Thanks.

Take a listen to a Soundelux U195 if you can add another $150. Here's a
link. http://mercenaryaudio.com/soundeluxu195.html

Jim

--
it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your
mouth and remove all doubt....

Scott Dorsey

bayydogg wrote:
I can't afford that mic, but I really need a good male vocal mic. For
a used mic, I might go up to $1000 US. Geez, even the U87 is higher
than that used! Any ideas? Thanks.

Do you want it to sound like the U87 or like something else?

I personally don't really like the U87 on vocals, but if you want that
pitched up sound there are a lot of mikes out there trying to emulate it.
Hell, you might even like the TLM 103, which I think is usually much more
handy on vocals.

Ethan Winer

Bayy,

I can't afford that mic

Get an audiotechnica 4033. It's affordable and excellent.

--Ethan

BLCKOUT420

On the project I'm working on now, I just swapped out my U87 for a SE
Electronics Z5600 on the lead vocalist track. About $550. Good Chinese tube
mic. Working good on this guy's voice.

BLCKOUT420

On the project I'm working on now, I just swapped out my U87 for a SE
Electronics Z5600 on the lead vocalist track. About $550. Good Chinese tube
mic. Working good on this guy's voice.
Paul Stamler

If you can live with a single (cardioid) pickup pattern, the Microtech
Gefell M930 is worth checking out. The M940 (#?) looks the same but is
hypercardioid; I haven't tried it, but it looks like it may have less of a
rise up top. I'm sure pleased with the M930s I bought, though, and not just
for vocals.

Peace,
Paul

Romeo Rondeau

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message
Bayy,

I can't afford that mic

Get an audiotechnica 4033. It's affordable and excellent.

I'll second that. As a matter of fact, I've used one where a U87 wasn't
working well, like on a shrill female gospel singer.

Garth

In article , "Paul
Stamler" writes:

If you can live with a single (cardioid) pickup pattern, the Microtech
Gefell M930 is worth checking out. The M940 (#?) looks the same but is
hypercardioid; I haven't tried it, but it looks like it may have less of a
rise up top. I'm sure pleased with the M930s I bought, though, and not just
for vocals.

Peace,
Paul

Paul,
What do the M930s sell for new?
Thanks,
Garth~

"I think the fact that music can come up a wire is a miracle."
Ed Cherney

Paul Stamler

"Garth" wrote in message

"Paul
Stamler" writes:

If you can live with a single (cardioid) pickup pattern, the Microtech
Gefell M930 is worth checking out. The M940 (#?) looks the same but is
hypercardioid; I haven't tried it, but it looks like it may have less of

rise up top. I'm sure pleased with the M930s I bought, though, and not

just
for vocals.

Paul,
What do the M930s sell for new?

List is about US$1,150; street is probably about $1k. If you buy the Gefell
shock mount, though, be prepared to drop your teeth. I found the
Electrovoice 313A works just as well or better and is a lot cheaper; it
won't work with Gefell's XY stereo bar, though. But if you're buying a
single microphone, don't worry about it; just use the E-V mount.

Peace,
Paul

Woodworm

I can't afford that mic, but I really need a good male vocal mic. For
a used mic, I might go up to $1000 US. Geez, even the U87 is higher
than that used! Any ideas? Thanks.

FWIW, we listened to some Rode mics last month, and wow, I was taken
aback. I can hardly imagine better value for money. The one that comes
to mind is the K2. We compared it directly with the U87, and we
preferred the K2. So I'd say, there's another one for your shortlist.

Ty Ford

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:54:41 -0400, Woodworm wrote
(in article ) :

I can't afford that mic, but I really need a good male vocal mic. For
a used mic, I might go up to $1000 US. Geez, even the U87 is higher
than that used! Any ideas? Thanks.

FWIW, we listened to some Rode mics last month, and wow, I was taken
aback. I can hardly imagine better value for money. The one that comes
to mind is the K2. We compared it directly with the U87, and we
preferred the K2. So I'd say, there's another one for your shortlist.

Well the K2 is brighter than the u 87 and some people get fooled into
thinking brighter is better. Try the NT2000. It's smoother than the NTK.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford

normanstrong

"bayydogg" wrote in message
om...
I can't afford that mic, but I really need a good male vocal mic.

For
a used mic, I might go up to $1000 US. Geez, even the U87 is higher
than that used! Any ideas? Thanks.

An alternative to the Neumann U87 for less than $1000?

If you listened to a recording of a male vocal, would you be able to
tell if it was made using a U87? Any sub $1000 mike that sounds
enough like a U87 to fool you can be considered an alternative. My
guess is that most cardioid mikes fill the bill. It's been my
observation that even experienced professionals cannot tell you much
of anything about a mike just from listening to recordings made with
it. And that seems to be the case even when nothing is changed but
the mike--not even the mike position.

Norm Strong

Wilson

You can hardly go wrong with Rode. Hit Ebay and pick up
a Rode classic or classic II for 800 to 1000. Or the NTK
They have 2 or 3 new ones out around the 400 to 500 range.
Forget about it! I have not heard any of the chinese mics
that sound as smooth on the top end as the Rode Classic.
Gorgeous, all of their current mics IMO.

Ty Ford wrote in message ...
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:54:41 -0400, Woodworm wrote
(in article ) :

I can't afford that mic, but I really need a good male vocal mic. For
a used mic, I might go up to $1000 US. Geez, even the U87 is higher
than that used! Any ideas? Thanks.

FWIW, we listened to some Rode mics last month, and wow, I was taken
aback. I can hardly imagine better value for money. The one that comes
to mind is the K2. We compared it directly with the U87, and we
preferred the K2. So I'd say, there's another one for your shortlist.

Well the K2 is brighter than the u 87 and some people get fooled into
thinking brighter is better. Try the NT2000. It's smoother than the NTK.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at http://home.comcast.net/~tyreeford

Timo Haanpää

Ty Ford wrote:
Some great mics actually sound like crap through the wrong preamp.
The TLM 103 through a Focusrite RED two channel comes to mind.

My favorite drum overhead channel is a TLM 103 through
a Focusrite RED 1, which is very likely the same as the one
in RED 2! Only when doing multi-miking, though, in minimal
micing setups it tends to emphasize cymbals a bit too much.

Timo
Lorin David Schultz

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in message

Get an audiotechnica 4033. It's affordable and excellent.

If you like bright mics. WAY bright.

- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

tonejunkee

"normanstrong" wrote in message news:R5zJc.85710$%_6.34685@attbi_s01...
"bayydogg" wrote in message
om...
I can't afford that mic, but I really need a good male vocal mic.

For
a used mic, I might go up to $1000 US. Geez, even the U87 is higher
than that used! Any ideas? Thanks.

An alternative to the Neumann U87 for less than $1000?

If you listened to a recording of a male vocal, would you be able to
tell if it was made using a U87? Any sub $1000 mike that sounds
enough like a U87 to fool you can be considered an alternative. My
guess is that most cardioid mikes fill the bill. It's been my
observation that even experienced professionals cannot tell you much
of anything about a mike just from listening to recordings made with
it. And that seems to be the case even when nothing is changed but
the mike--not even the mike position.

Norm Strong

You'll never find another Neumann - but I WILL vouch for the Studio
Projects C3 - I really is better for the price - The T3 must be pretty
damn sweet - Other than those 2 pennies I would recommend renting high
end gear - I use these guys www.audio-consultants.com

TJ