Peter Doherty

Default does this exist? basic receiver only head unit

Here's what I want. A car head unit that doesn't have a tape or CD player,
and is just a basic receiver with a line-in port. I just want something to
power the speakers, and to have the ability to plug in a portable
CD/tape/MP3/whatever player into it. Heck, it doesn't even need a receiver,
because I could plug in a radio too.
I can't seem to find anything like this, has it existed? How hard would it
be to build something like this?

Thanks.

--Peter

Mark Zarella

Here's what I want. A car head unit that doesn't have a tape or CD
player,
and is just a basic receiver with a line-in port. I just want something

power the speakers, and to have the ability to plug in a portable
CD/tape/MP3/whatever player into it. Heck, it doesn't even need a

receiver,
because I could plug in a radio too.
I can't seem to find anything like this, has it existed? How hard would

it
be to build something like this?

Why bother? Just get a tape unit and don't use the tape deck. It's not
like you're going to lower the price by forgoing a tape deck. You're
actually going to increase it dramatically because it's a specialty unit.
The only animal I know of like this is made by Nakamichi and costs a lot of
money. I think Kenwood may have made one back in the day too.

cyrus the virus

In article 5lchb.714130$Ho3.161845@sccrnsc03,
"Peter Doherty" wrote:

Here's what I want. A car head unit that doesn't have a tape or CD player,
and is just a basic receiver with a line-in port. I just want something to
power the speakers, and to have the ability to plug in a portable
CD/tape/MP3/whatever player into it. Heck, it doesn't even need a receiver,
because I could plug in a radio too.
I can't seem to find anything like this, has it existed? How hard would it
be to build something like this?

Thanks.

--Peter

an amplifier.. install it wherever, run the rca cables and leave the
other end next to you in the car. get 2 female-female barrel connectors.

probably not the prettiest way to do it, but its cheap.

--
cyrus

Peter Doherty

The problem with an amp is the lack of volume control. I'd also like fade
and balance control.

I'm aware I could just use a tape deck, but I was interested to see if
anyone knew of exactly what I wanted, before I settled for the next best
thing.

See the thing is, my cheap $100 CD player was stolen from my car, and if
they'll steal that, I wonder what else they'll steal, but I figured no one
would steal a simple reciever.

--Peter

an amplifier.. install it wherever, run the rca cables and leave the
other end next to you in the car. get 2 female-female barrel connectors.

probably not the prettiest way to do it, but its cheap.

--
cyrus

InferiorWang

you'd be suprised.
--
InferiorWang
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=161197

james w

True, the low-lifes stole my jeep's stock head unit. And left the a/d/s
amp, infinity kappa speaks and JL woofer!

Must be the power of the stealth install; they couldn't see it, they didn't
take it.

"InferiorWang" wrote in
message s.com...
you'd be suprised.
--
InferiorWang
View this thread:

http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=161197

KJM

I think all portable CD/MP3 players have a volume control don't they? Then
just set your Front/Rear fade with the gain control on a four channel amp
and don't touch it again. How often do people change the fade setting? I
haven't touched mine since the initial install. With the unit beside you
connected to an RCA cable, you have all the control you need. I use this set
up to troubleshoot problems. I just use an old Discman though, I don't have
a fancy dancy MP3 player.... yet.
The amp turn-on circuit will have to be connected to your ignition though so
it(they) turn off when you leave the car. I'd install a simple toggle switch
inline with it so I could cut out the amps if necessary.

"Peter Doherty" wrote in message
Here's what I want. A car head unit that doesn't have a tape or CD

player,
and is just a basic receiver with a line-in port. I just want something

power the speakers, and to have the ability to plug in a portable
CD/tape/MP3/whatever player into it. Heck, it doesn't even need a

receiver,
because I could plug in a radio too.
I can't seem to find anything like this, has it existed? How hard would

it
be to build something like this?

Thanks.

--Peter

sanitarium

You could use a 1/2 din preamp with vol/fader and multiple aux inputs. Feed
the preamp with a CD player, tuner, tape... whatever, and send the signal
into a power amp and on to your speakers.

I had a friend in college that used an FM modulater coltrolled CD changer,
the kind with the small LCD screen and wireless remote. He sent the RCA
signal from the changer into his 1/2 din zapco preamp and controled the
volume / fader with the preamp. It was a pretty neat setup, and completely
stealth. He had the CD changer LCD screen hidden in the ashtray. The
preamp was installed behind a black lexan panel in the factory head unit
location, so the only thing you could see was the 5 unmarked preamp knobs.
So the Zapco logo was hidden. He didn't care for a tuner, and hidden
components was high priority. If these links dont work just copy/paste them
into your URL window.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=32 90

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=32 90

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=32 90

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=32 90

Garrett

Something like that...
"Peter Doherty" wrote in message
Here's what I want. A car head unit that doesn't have a tape or CD

player,
and is just a basic receiver with a line-in port. I just want something

power the speakers, and to have the ability to plug in a portable
CD/tape/MP3/whatever player into it. Heck, it doesn't even need a

receiver,
because I could plug in a radio too.
I can't seem to find anything like this, has it existed? How hard would

it
be to build something like this?

Thanks.

--Peter

Peter Doherty

=)

Now this is a solution I like...it actually accomplishes what I was asking
for. And I was just starting to give up hope.
Time for some research.
The only apparent downside is the higher cost of the project. I suppose I
can overcome that obstacle though.

--Peter

[...]

Peter Doherty

Well, I'm thinking I may get this preamp/eq:
http://www.clarion.com/processor/processor02.htm

It's the clarion EQS560. It seems a pretty good value....I'm cheap. ;-)

So can someone recommend a good four channel amp for my project? Something
inexpensive, but decent quality, preferably small and compact. I won't be
using a subwoofer. I don't need a lot of power, I'm not building something
loud, 40W per channel would be more than enough. I'd like to spend under
$100.

Thanks
--Peter

[...]

Mark Zarella

The problem with an amp is the lack of volume control. I'd also like fade
and balance control.

An amplifier plus 3 radio shack dual gang potentiometers.

Mark Zarella

So can someone recommend a good four channel amp for my project?
Something
inexpensive, but decent quality, preferably small and compact. I won't be
using a subwoofer. I don't need a lot of power, I'm not building

something
loud, 40W per channel would be more than enough. I'd like to spend under
$100.

Under $100? How about a good NEW CD stereo from ebay?

John Durbin

Yes... one of the finest analog tuners EVER made, better than 95% of the
digital junk on the market today: Becker Europa II stereo ... however, I
forget the details for the rear panel DIN jack - it's either an audio
I/O, just an output, or just an input. But it was made to be
interconnected with an outboard cassette deck.

http://www.adsitco.com/newdesign/pro...il.asp?ID=1976

http://members.tripod.com/~breastrok...ereuropa2b.jpg

If that's too antiquated for you, look for a Sony XTC100. That's a
digital tuner/CD changer control head made back in the early 90's. You
might be able to plumb it for an audio input, given it was made to
accept the audio from an outboard changer via Son'y old blue cable
13-pin DIN protocol.

JD

Peter Doherty wrote:

Here's what I want. A car head unit that doesn't have a tape or CD player,
and is just a basic receiver with a line-in port. I just want something to
power the speakers, and to have the ability to plug in a portable
CD/tape/MP3/whatever player into it. Heck, it doesn't even need a receiver,
because I could plug in a radio too.
I can't seem to find anything like this, has it existed? How hard would it
be to build something like this?

Thanks.

--Peter

Daniel Snooks

Peter Doherty wrote
So can someone recommend a good four channel amp for my project?

Something
inexpensive, but decent quality, preferably small and compact. I won't be
using a subwoofer. I don't need a lot of power, I'm not building

something
loud, 40W per channel would be more than enough. I'd like to spend under
$100.

Snoop around on eBay, something from alpine, pioneer, lanzar, or sony should
do the trick.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Peter Doherty

pardon my ignorance, but several of these preamp/eq units mention that they
have an output of something like 6-8v.
What would happen if I connected it directly to speakers without the use of
an amp? It seems like the preamp/eq is actually amplifiying the
signal...maybe not to the power level of a true amp, but could it be
sufficient?

--Peter

[...]

Mark Zarella

pardon my ignorance, but several of these preamp/eq units mention that
they
have an output of something like 6-8v.
What would happen if I connected it directly to speakers without the use

of
an amp? It seems like the preamp/eq is actually amplifiying the
signal...maybe not to the power level of a true amp, but could it be
sufficient?

That 6-8 volt output would drop to somewhere in the mV range if you hooked
tthem up to speakers, because of the relatively high output impedance of the
preamp output. In other words, the preamp can't deliver the necessary
current to power such low impedance loads as a loudspeaker.

sanitarium

That clarion looks identical to one of the Audiobahn units I listed above.
It s no secret that Clarion, Arc Audio and a host of others sub-sontract
ubuy in China to design and manufacture their PCB assemblies. I wouldnt be
surprised if the clarion and Audiobahn preamps are very similar to this one,

http://www.ubuy.com.tw/Showroom/?SupID=17&CategoryID=2

re-badged for their respective companies.

Compare spec data sheets closely and consider the Audiobahn unit as well, go
for whichever is cheaper.. unless youre into brand names and must have....
Garrett

"Peter Doherty" wrote in message .net...
pardon my ignorance, but several of these preamp/eq units mention that they
have an output of something like 6-8v.
What would happen if I connected it directly to speakers without the use of
an amp? It seems like the preamp/eq is actually amplifiying the
signal...maybe not to the power level of a true amp, but could it be
sufficient?

--Peter

Naw. Look at it like this: voltage is equivalent to water pressure.
Current is equivalent to water current. Resistance (OK, impedance,
let's not confuse the guy) is equivalent to... well, water resistance,
I guess.
So, a Waterpik can deliver a pretty high water pressure; into the high
resistance of a tiny hole. Hook it up to a garden hose, though, and it
can't deliver.
Same deal with the preamp output; can deliver a good voltage into the
high resistance of an amp input, but the speaker looks like a garden
hose. Hell, it looks like a firehose. Preamp out will sag.
thr33pac

Try this el-cheapo from wal-mart. Notice the input jack to the right of the
knobs.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A96481%3A39008