Posted to rec.audio.car

Default 2000 Jeep Grand Cheroke: Replacing Infinity Tweeters In The Dash

Hey guys,
I was wonering if anybody out there could provide me with some
information about the tweeters in the dash on a 2000 Jeep Grand
Cheroke. I have already been under the dash and disconnected the
tweeters a couple years ago since I blew one and haven't got around to
replacing it yet. Right now, I'm looking at getting either the
Infinity Reference 1011T or the Infinity Kappa 10.7t (yes I know I'm a
big Infinity person). My question is will both of these fit? I had
assumed that the Reference would but I was told from a website that the
Kappa would not fit. I know that they come with the mounting kits when
you buy them, but it is beyond me as to why one would fit and the other
wouldn't seeing as they are the same size. I had read two different
things as to how wide the hole from the factory tweeter will be, one
said 2.5 and another said 3.5. So, I don't even know which size is
correct. I guess if someone could tell me if either of those speakers
will work, and if I will need anything else besides the mounting kit
that comes with the speakers to do my installation, I would appreciate
it.

Thanks,
Ian

Posted to rec.audio.car
mike

hey,
sorry i cant help with your question... but i kinda hope you can help
me with mine... i have a 2001 grand cherokee and i want to replace my
tweeters too, but i dont know how to get to them... what do i need to
remove to get to the tweeters?
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car

Hey Mike,
It's fairly simple in my opinion, but instead of trying to put it into
terms I'll give you the link that contained the instructions I used to
get to the tweeters in the dash. This is the one I used and I thought
the description and the pictures helped a lot. Good Luck

http://www.wjjeeps.com/audio.htm

Ian

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jim

I don't see a reason why either of those 2 you listed wouldn't fit.
You might have to fabricate some sort of mounting bracket for them, I
think www.wjjeeps.com has pics of them mounting the JL Audio tweeters
in front. I have done similar things in past vehicles with "hanger
iron" that most hardware stores have in stock.

I was able to fit a Morel MDT-30 tweeter in the front dash locations
in my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and that's bigger than most 3.5" full
range speakers, so those tweeters will have PLENTY of room. I did
have to do some "work" with a dremel to get them to fit.

The front mounting holes are for a 2.5" speaker, I think they are
about 3" apart if I remember correctly. I have my stock tweeters
sitting at home if you would like me to measure them exactly. The
mounting holes were a little too close for a 3.5" full range speaker
(Infinity makes one, my friend put those in his '99 JGC Limited)

However, you are replacing a full range 2.5" speaker with a tweeter,
so any midrange sounds will now be coming from the rear doors.
Although you have them disconnected, so it'll sound better than what
you have been running anyways.

Jim
'00 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0 Selec-Trac
Alpine 9855 - a/d/s/ PQ 20 Amp - Dayton 7" mids in front doors - Morel
MDT-30 in front dash - Single 12" eXtreme Energy Sub - Rear Door
Speakers disconnected.

On 26 Jun 2006 21:11:58 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

I agree with Jim. I've got a 2000 JGC Limited, also with the Infinity
tweets in the dash, and the passenger side one blown as well. The dash
is easy to get off, especially with a wide plastic spreader tool, like
for bondo or spackle or something. It might take some elbow grease as
well to pop the clips. Mine had plenty of space for pretty much
anything, and I'm planning on putting my Directed 1" tweeters up there,
which I've just been too lazy to do. At most, you might need some
ingenuity for mounting, but they should fit no problem.

Brandonb