sancho

Default Using Notebook Computer as Car MP3 Player

Z Gluhak wrote:

I don't deny all the greatness of Linux. But an argument can be made
for open source and against it.

let's hear the one against it...

I still have 2 wi-fi NICs that I can't get working on Mandrake 9.2. I
got them working in 3 minutes in XP.

blame your hardware vendor, not mandrake...

It's also amuzing how much sh*t the whole MS software leak has stirred
up. Isn't linux open source making it available to anyone? So if 10%
of code being known to the world presents a problem what does 100% do?

forces programmers to write secure code

and allows peer review of code to catch anything that was missed
--
sancho
ridiculous
Z. Gluhak

"sancho" wrote in message
Z Gluhak wrote:

I don't deny all the greatness of Linux. But an argument can be made
for open source and against it.

let's hear the one against it...

I don't want to start another war. I am trying to get people to like me.
Lost cause?

I still have 2 wi-fi NICs that I can't get working on Mandrake 9.2. I
got them working in 3 minutes in XP.

blame your hardware vendor, not mandrake...

I don't blame anyone but don't deny wifi is a pain to get working in
linux..one of the few things still not there...iwconfig helps but.....
besides the point was that "any driver is a google search away". not ANY
driver.

It's also amuzing how much sh*t the whole MS software leak has stirred
up. Isn't linux open source making it available to anyone? So if 10%
of code being known to the world presents a problem what does 100% do?

forces programmers to write secure code

and allows peer review of code to catch anything that was missed
--

yeah there is a lot of truth to that. linux code is definitely more secure
and is written that way from the beginning. I just don't buy into all this

ridiculous

hey opinions are like as*holes - everyone has one.

Brandon Buckner

Z. Gluhak wrote:
forces programmers to write secure code
and allows peer review of code to catch anything that was missed
--

yeah there is a lot of truth to that. linux code is definitely more secure
and is written that way from the beginning. I just don't buy into all this
hype how MS is doomed because 10% of nt/2000 code is out on the net.

Well, if you had previously openly admitted to re-using unsecured code
that wasn't re-checked by anyone and incorporating it into every version
of Windows a few times, would you want anyone to know you did it *yet
again*? They have enough security barn doors as it is without outright
showing people where more are. Holes in Linux turn up somewhat
frequently, but also as soon as they do, there's a fix out for it. Red
Hat comes to mind here. There are also a LOT more ways to lock it down.

Brandonb
-Windows user.

thelizman

Z. Gluhak wrote:

I don't want to start another war. I am trying to get people to like me.
Lost cause?

I like you. Come sit on my lap, big boy.

yeah there is a lot of truth to that. linux code is definitely more secure
and is written that way from the beginning. I just don't buy into all this
hype how MS is doomed because 10% of nt/2000 code is out on the net.

Within 72 hours of the codes release, an exploit was discoverd that used
a bmp image of a certain size to cause a buffer overflow. 72 hours. Give
it a few months, and you'll see some very nasty viruses hitting your XP
box (which is based on NT).

hey opinions are like as*holes - everyone has one.

Mine is immaculate, and lemon scented. Wanna see?

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

teamROCS Car Audio Forums
http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
Z. Gluhak

I don't want to start another war. I am trying to get people to like
me.
Lost cause?

I like you. Come sit on my lap, big boy.

Don't get me too excited now!

Within 72 hours of the codes release, an exploit was discoverd that used
a bmp image of a certain size to cause a buffer overflow. 72 hours. Give
it a few months, and you'll see some very nasty viruses hitting your XP
box (which is based on NT).

Yeah I know about the exploit...more coming - don't doubt that. You know in
a way the whole slew of viruses and patches has been kind of a good thing.
It's forcing people to pay attention and practice safer computing. You know
how hard it is to get end users to patch their boxes?

hey opinions are like as*holes - everyone has one.

Mine is immaculate, and lemon scented. Wanna see?

You shove lemons up there? Try limes, they are a bit smaller. So I've
heard.

-Z