Bob Cain

Default Advantage of tape over MD?

Lord Hasenpfeffer wrote:

Got that too. Clipping is one, specific, pre-defined form of hard
limiting. One could artificially lower the "ceiling" to supress all
peaks from exceeding 1dB (or any other value) below the threshold of
clipping and the term "clipping" would no longer apply - even though the
peak envelopes would still have flat tops.

No! No! No! If it's got flat tops it's clipping no matter
what level the clip is at. Limiting is a more gentle
approach that keeps peaks below a certain limit without
chopping them off flat.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

Lord Hasenpfeffer wrote:

Bob Cain wrote:

Lord Hasenpfeffer wrote:

Got that too. Clipping is one, specific, pre-defined form of hard
limiting. One could artificially lower the "ceiling" to supress all
peaks from exceeding 1dB (or any other value) below the threshold of
clipping and the term "clipping" would no longer apply - even though the
peak envelopes would still have flat tops.

No! No! No! If it's got flat tops it's clipping no matter
what level the clip is at. Limiting is a more gentle
approach that keeps peaks below a certain limit without
chopping them off flat.

OK. Thanks for the clarification. That makes even more sense to me now
than it previously did.

One more clarification. It is possible for the clipping to
occur in the analog chain prior to A/D conversion. Then the
tops won't usually even be flat but will look slanted and
are typically an exponential decay due to lack of DC
response in the analog path. It's still called clipping
when that happens.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Lord Hasenpfeffer

Bob Cain wrote:

One more clarification. It is possible for the clipping to
occur in the analog chain prior to A/D conversion. Then the
tops won't usually even be flat but will look slanted and
are typically an exponential decay due to lack of DC
response in the analog path. It's still called clipping
when that happens.

OK. Thanks. Haven't actually run across that phenomenon happenin'
anywhere just yet but I'm sure if I ever do, I'll be remembering your
name!

Myke

--

Windows...It's rebootylicious!!!