Crumb

Default A Black Plate Here, a Smooth Plate There, Here a Plate, There a Plate, Everywhere a Plate Plate...

Smooth plates, black plates, gray plates, short plates, long plates,
round getters, D getters...

I constantly see vintage tubes with such descriptions. Is there a book
which lists all the different designs so I can learn about them?

Thanks

Crumb
fire bottles

Smooth plates, black plates, gray plates, short plates, long plates,
round getters, D getters...

I constantly see vintage tubes with such descriptions. Is there a book
which lists all the different designs so I can learn about them?

Thanks

Crumb

don't know a good book, the best thing is to buy a big batch of tubes and
get some hands-on

none of those terms are too tough though

here is an explanation:

Smooth plates - the plate of the tube is smooth, rather than "ribbed"
black plates - the plate is black in color as compared to grey (black is
preferred to grey in most cases)
gray plates - the plate is grey in color as compared to black
short plates - the same tube - for example a Mullard ECC83 may have two
versions, one having shorter plates than the other
long plates - see short plate above
round getters - the getter(s) are shaped like the letter "O"
D getters - the getter(s) are shaped like the letter "D"

Bob Hedberg

Wait, wait! Let me write this down! Hold on!
(scribble scribble)
; )

Smooth plates - the plate of the tube is smooth, rather than "ribbed"
black plates - the plate is black in color as compared to grey (black is
preferred to grey in most cases)
gray plates - the plate is grey in color as compared to black
short plates - the same tube - for example a Mullard ECC83 may have two
versions, one having shorter plates than the other
long plates - see short plate above
round getters - the getter(s) are shaped like the letter "O"
D getters - the getter(s) are shaped like the letter "D"

Bob H.

Just grab that plate in one hand, the chassis in the other,
and FEEL the power of tube audio!!!
(not literally, of course, just kidding. DON'T DO THAT!)
Sander deWaal

"fire bottles" said:

black plates - the plate is black in color as compared to grey (black is
preferred to grey in most cases)

Why? Does it sound better?

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "
dre7

If you go to a site like Brett Jesse Recording, SDS Tubes, KCA, etc... you
can get a good overall idea of who made what and what is highly regarded.
From there you can check out the eBay auctions with nice large pics.

As to whether there's any credence to it all, well that's open to
speculation and debate (usually endless). Certain getter designs are said
to be more microphonic than others. The great plate debate is more
mysterious to me. My understanding is that plates were blackened and
textured (or ribbed for your aural pleasure) to improve heat rejection, and
that any audible difference was purely serendipity. Anyone know for sure?

Personally, I've only come across one tube that really made my putter
twitter, and it wasn't particularly a "boutique" variety. Otherwise, tubes
is tubes, IMHO. Oh, and JJs rock!

dre

om...