Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe[_13_] Joe[_13_] is offline

Default JBL LSR 4300 series monitor front panel replacement

Does anyone know how to change the front panel of the 4300 series
monitor. The rubberized coating on one of the monitors got very gummy
and sticky and would even come off with a dust rag. JBL fixed it under
warranty, but now the other monitor and my 4312SP Sub have the same
problem. The warranty is out, and the thought was that replacing the
faceplates (only part with the rubberized coating) myself might be a way
to go.
Joe
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 5/24/2011 12:01 AM, Joe wrote:

The rubberized coating on one of the
monitors got very gummy and sticky and would even come off
with a dust rag. JBL fixed it under warranty, but now the
other monitor and my 4312SP Sub have the same problem.

This sounds like a question for JBL. Generally when this
happens it's because plasticizers have leeched out of the
finish material. Auto dashboards used to do the same thing.
Maybe they'll send you the replacements for free. This isn't
a normal "manufacturing defect" kind of warranty issue, but
they're probably aware of the issue and they're generally
pretty helpful.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe[_13_] Joe[_13_] is offline

Aloha Mike
I am in the process of contacting JBL now. I guess I can see a dashboard
doing that after extended sun exposure. These monitors have been sitting
in the same place in my studio since being purchased new, so severe
environmental exposure is impossible. The studio is our large living
room in our home.

This morning I made a search around the house for rubberized stuff like
calculator cases, remote control cases and buttons etc. I found no trace
of this problem. This is kinda weird.

By the way, the replacement monitor shows no sign of this problem (yet)

Joe
Ola Na Mele Productions

On 5/24/2011 4:16 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/24/2011 12:01 AM, Joe wrote:

The rubberized coating on one of the
monitors got very gummy and sticky and would even come off
with a dust rag. JBL fixed it under warranty, but now the
other monitor and my 4312SP Sub have the same problem.

This sounds like a question for JBL. Generally when this happens it's
because plasticizers have leeched out of the finish material. Auto
dashboards used to do the same thing. Maybe they'll send you the
replacements for free. This isn't a normal "manufacturing defect" kind
of warranty issue, but they're probably aware of the issue and they're
generally pretty helpful.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 23 May 2011 18:01:56 -1000, Joe
wrote:

Does anyone know how to change the front panel of the 4300 series
monitor. The rubberized coating on one of the monitors got very gummy
and sticky and would even come off with a dust rag. JBL fixed it under
warranty, but now the other monitor and my 4312SP Sub have the same
problem. The warranty is out, and the thought was that replacing the
faceplates (only part with the rubberized coating) myself might be a way
to go.
Joe

You've had good answers, but another possibility is that they are
subject to very low but persistent traces of a solvent in the
atmosphere. Could there be anything like that around the place? It
would probably be too weak to notice by smell.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe[_13_] Joe[_13_] is offline

Aloha Don
Well there sure isn't anything I can smell, but as you
pointed out we might not be able to smell it. My wife has asthma, and is
very sensitive to solvent like odors, and she hasn't noticed anything
and she has had no persistent asthma problems. She also tends to use
environmentally friendly cleaners almost exclusively.
Hawaii has pretty clean air, although occasionally islands do see a bit
of smog like volcanic gases from the Kilauea volcano on Hawaii island.
This occurs rarely and in any event is far less severe here on Maui than
a typical day in downtown LA. And as I pointed out to Mike, no other
ruberized surfaces in the house seem to show the same or even similar
problems
Malama Pono (take care)
Joe

wrote:

Does anyone know how to change the front panel of the 4300 series
monitor. The rubberized coating on one of the monitors got very gummy
and sticky and would even come off with a dust rag. JBL fixed it under
warranty, but now the other monitor and my 4312SP Sub have the same
problem. The warranty is out, and the thought was that replacing the
faceplates (only part with the rubberized coating) myself might be a way
to go.
Joe

You've had good answers, but another possibility is that they are
subject to very low but persistent traces of a solvent in the
atmosphere. Could there be anything like that around the place? It
would probably be too weak to notice by smell.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/24/2011 1:31 PM, Joe wrote:

monitors have been sitting in the same place in my studio
since being purchased new, so severe environmental exposure
is impossible.

They're exposed to air aren't they? The stuff just comes
out. It's not a function of heat. I have a sticky calculator
here.

By the way, the replacement monitor shows no sign of this
problem (yet)

It might, eventually, or maybe they changed the material.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
Aloha Mike
I am in the process of contacting JBL now. I guess I can see a dashboard
doing that after extended sun exposure. These monitors have been sitting
in the same place in my studio since being purchased new, so severe
environmental exposure is impossible.

Not so, this is a known problem in coastal and tropical environments. It's
not just sunlight that causes problems with some materials, but high
humidity or salt laden air.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_10_] Chuck[_10_] is offline

wrote:

Does anyone know how to change the front panel of the 4300 series
monitor. The rubberized coating on one of the monitors got very gummy
and sticky and would even come off with a dust rag. JBL fixed it under
warranty, but now the other monitor and my 4312SP Sub have the same
problem. The warranty is out, and the thought was that replacing the
faceplates (only part with the rubberized coating) myself might be a way
to go.
Joe

You've had good answers, but another possibility is that they are
subject to very low but persistent traces of a solvent in the
atmosphere. Could there be anything like that around the place? It
would probably be too weak to notice by smell.

Is there an electrostatic air filter in the room? The ozone from one
of these will cause certain plastics or rubber turn to mush. Chuck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
g g is offline

On May 24, 12:01*am, Joe wrote:
Does anyone know how to change the front panel of the 4300 series
monitor. The rubberized coating on one of the monitors got very gummy
and sticky and would even come off with a dust rag. JBL fixed it under
warranty, but now the other monitor and my 4312SP Sub have the same
problem. The warranty is out, and the thought was that replacing the
faceplates (only part with the rubberized coating) myself might be a way
to go.
Joe

I have seen some equipment cases that have that coating on them that
gets sticky. It's just a weird blend they used. I try to wipe it all
off and repaint.

Greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe[_13_] Joe[_13_] is offline

Interesting thought but no electrostatic air filter in the house

On 5/25/2011 6:57 AM, Chuck wrote:

Is there an electrostatic air filter in the room? The ozone from one
of these will cause certain plastics or rubber turn to mush. Chuck

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe[_13_] Joe[_13_] is offline

Aloha
Thanks for all the good ideas on what might be causing the gummy stuff.
Some have suggested maybe removing the coating and possibly repainting.
I had a thought that it may be that the rubberized coating may provide
some damping action to the underlying plastic, in which case probably
removing the coating could cause other issues.

It is hard to believe JBL would select a coating that is susceptible to
degradation from whatever caused the gummy problem. The first unit I had
started to show problems after a few months. But in fairness to JBL it
is very likely that they did not know about the issues. Never the less
it seems products like this should last a lot longer.

By the way, as additional info, where we are located on Maui,It is not
really that humid. Typically around 40-60% Certainly much less than many
parts of the country.

Keep the ideas coming

Aloha
Joe

On 5/23/2011 6:01 PM, Joe wrote:
Does anyone know how to change the front panel of the 4300 series
monitor. The rubberized coating on one of the monitors got very gummy
and sticky and would even come off with a dust rag. JBL fixed it under
warranty, but now the other monitor and my 4312SP Sub have the same
problem. The warranty is out, and the thought was that replacing the
faceplates (only part with the rubberized coating) myself might be a way
to go.
Joe

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] comprochem@gmail.com is offline

I too had that problem
Being a chemist but a part time musician as well I developed a green non toxic liquid to remove the plasticized film and make it look brand new again.. It also conditions the rubberised acrylic coating so it will not return. I should have a video posted on You Tube in a day or so. It takes about 5 minutes per monitor to clean. I haven't determined the platicizer yet but if it is pthylate based it is a plus to get it off as it is a known health hazard. You can reach me at if anyone has questions. I guarantee you will be impressed with the results and how new they will look. No effect on the sound whatsoever.