Posted to rec.audio.tech
Rabid man Rabid man is offline

Default Click Click Click help please...

Onkyo tx-sv373 receiver, paradigm monitor 3 speakers and sub
System worked perfectly for 2+ years
used with my Sound card

it started clicking and going silent about 2 months ago...

what i have done
- took the amp in for servicing (nothing wrong could be found)
although interestingly enough, it didn't click for days after it came
back....
- amp has been completely blown out with a compressor
- replaced spreaker wire with new wire
- removed ground loop isolater

Today, the amp has been clicking and turning off like crazy, even going
silent without clicking...To make matters worse, the remote and buttons
became intermittanly disabled - in other words, I could not adjust
volume, change inputs or anything ????? I have just now disconnected
the right speaker (with left disconnected there was immediate clicking)
and there is no clicking for an hour now...amp controls are working
fine...

So what to do now ? these speakers are maybe 5 years old, I have
treated them well...
Perhaps it is an interference problem - I guess i could try moving the
left speaker to see if the
clicking can be reproduced on the right side ??..
Could it be Impedance ? don't think because all of a sudden now there
is an impedance problem ?

any suggestions ? If the speaker is the cause - is there anything I can
do or is it junk ?
Could it be electrical interference ? - I have a ton of wires in behind

thanks

Posted to rec.audio.tech
James Lehman James Lehman is offline

"Rabid man" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It sounds like there is a relay switch on the outputs of the amp. This is to
protect both your amp and your speakers. Sometimes speakers can be damaged
in such a way to make them much lower in impedance. I once had a tweeter
that got so hot it melted the insulation on the coil and shorted. It did not
burn to an open circuit. It shorted. This would draw way too much current
from your amp and make it turn off. This could be your problem.

James. )

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Rabid man wrote:
[...]

This is a known problem. There is a portion of the regulated power supply
circuit which runs hot and eventually one to maybe three foil runs crack and
need to be bridged. Sometimes a resistor is bad also, ( 12 ohms IIRC) and
sometimes the damage is so bad there is literally a hole burned in the
board.

Since it is an older, lower-mid price surround model, without built-in
digital decoding for newer formats, replacement is probably a more logical
alternative to a repair which will cost over 100.00.

Newer Onkyo's are pretty good, also Denon and Yamaha are recommended. Check
the remote of the new receiver you are looking at. How much you like the
remote may determine how much you enjoy the receiver.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Rabid man Rabid man is offline

Thanks for the posts....
my solo speaker started clicking today....

A few questions come to mind...first, are my speakers likely to be
damaged now ? Secondly, is there an easy way to test them with an ohm
meter ?

If I gave the certified tech guy all the symptoms, and he troubleshoots
it and
says nothing is wrong, I guess either the speakers are toast or the
tech
is incompetent ???

I guess ultimately I should just buy a new amp....but want to make sure
the speakers aren't gone as well.....
Guess I will start searching for a new amp, any recommendations on a
mid level unit that offers good value ? maybe in the $500 - $700
range...

thanks gusy

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Rabid man wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:
Rabid man wrote:
[...]

Tell the tech to look under the big flat cable that goes from the main board
to the front circuit board. There's a baked area sort of hiding under the
cable. On the underneath side of the main board in this area is where the
problem is. The guy may or may not be incompetent, but more likely just not
familiar with this model or symptom.

Unfortunately it is true there are still some not-so-great tech types out
there who are willing to take your money but perhaps not provide an
acceptable level of service for a given product. I sense that this is less
the case now than years ago, however. Hard times have fallen on the repair
industry. The schlock shops and rip-offs have mostly fallen off to the side;
the shops that remain are mostly pretty good, all things considered.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Rabid man wrote:
Thanks for the posts....
my solo speaker started clicking today....

A few questions come to mind...first, are my speakers likely to be
damaged now ? Secondly, is there an easy way to test them with an ohm
meter ?

If I gave the certified tech guy all the symptoms, and he
troubleshoots it and
says nothing is wrong, I guess either the speakers are toast or the
tech
is incompetent ???

I guess ultimately I should just buy a new amp....but want to make
sure the speakers aren't gone as well.....
Guess I will start searching for a new amp, any recommendations on a
mid level unit that offers good value ? maybe in the $500 - $700
range...

thanks gusy

Sorry - missed that part.

I'm a Yamaha guy. I don't know your specific needs, but I'm sure there's a
Yamaha model that would have the features you need.

A couple things.

1. The HTR series is electrically just as good, and in some cases virtually
the same inside, as the RX series. In other words, you can buy at Best Buy
etc, and not just the specialty stores, with no drop-off in the quality of
the receiver.
Having said that, a specialty shop should have techs on staff - finding good
warranty service if you need it might be an issue with the HTR stuff - BB
will just send it off.
2. Even though I recommend Yamaha, there's other good receivers out there.
Some you might like better. Denon and Onkyo are good, Sony also. Denon
support not so good, however.
If you will use the remote a lot, spend some time at the store learning the
remote. The ergonomics and ease of use, intuitiveness, etc of the remote
might be the deciding factor for you. The could be a big deal. I mean if you
hate the remote, you'll enjoy the receiver a lot less. Yamaha remotes are a
bit cheesy, so are Onkyo's. Denon remotes seem better, at least the ones
I've seen. Also check out the onscreen setups etc and try to get a sense of
whether you'll be able to use them without too much trouble. Be prepared to
spend some time learning how to use the thing.
3. We all like a better price, but if you don't buy from an authorized
dealer you may well have NO WARRANTY. Some manufacturers are stickier about
this than others. Pioneer and Sony not so bad. Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha
all state that the dealer must be authorized or no warranty. So CHECK FIRST
to avoid problems later.

Mark Z.

Finally bought in Hal Pro Audio 10 August 18th 06 04:28 PM
Cassette adapter in Toyota, click, click, click. [email protected] Car Audio 0 August 18th 06 09:06 AM
Problem with Layla 3G W/ MIDI click Kalle Pro Audio 2 December 5th 04 06:34 PM
advice on live click track Ben Hanson Pro Audio 38 October 11th 04 06:58 AM
advice on live click track Ben Hanson Pro Audio 0 September 28th 04 02:09 PM