Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

Default Ferstler Moves On

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 21:00:27 -0500, dave weil
wrote:

PS, want to express your opinion of post-graduate types again for us?

Howard never repeats himself, Dave. He only repeats others.

(Sorry, Howard, I couldn't resist).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 17:41:44 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

Actually, I only rarely reviewed amps or players. I could
not hear a difference when comparing level matched, and I
did not bother to measure. (I do not own gear precise enough
to measure properly, anyway.) I tried to simulate what a
typical enthusiast could do, and for them that would mean
listening comparisons, only. However, I did want to make the
point that such comparisons, be they done quickly or done
slowly, should be level matched and blind. Better yet,
double blind.

Frankly, I don't get this blind stuff. Why do I need to be blind? If
I'm comparing two amps I've never heard before, and have no preference
for either one, why do I need to be blind? In any case if I a/B'd the
way I like to, over a long period, I'd just be falling over the
furniture all the time.

I can certainly understand you railing against tweako-freako
merchandise, because frankly most of that stuff offends common-sense;
and I can understand you bewailing the spending of vast sums on
equipment that measures no better, sometimes worse, than cheap stuff.
However, let's leave the nutty side of the hobby to the nuts, and the
high-end to the rich, and at least admit that there may be perceptable
differences between affordable amps and CD players. That way you don't
offend common-sense, yet you allow enough to permit the hobby to
continue and we subjectivists to have some fun comparing stuff. Is
that a fair deal?

Well, with the amps that I reviewed, as well as commentary
articles that I did that discussed comparing amps, I made it
a point to:

1. Not take my word for it. I wanted the more skeptical (of
my results) readers to do their own comparing - level
matched and blind, at the very least.

And they would do that how exactly, under shop conditons?

2. Point out that other variables (speaker quality, room
acoustics, recording quality) would have way more impact
even if small amp variations would be audible under very
rigid listening/comparing protocols. For most enthusiasts, I
should think that the musical content would overwhelm any
need for absolutely clean amp sound.

Fair enough, and the last point is similar to one I made just
recently. However, the sound of any component in your system is
constant, whereas room acoustics and recording quality are variables
(I mean that you can hang drapes and chuck out the worst sounding
CDs). If there really is a "sound" to your amp, it will affect all CDs
all the time, and possibly also thwart all attempts to improve sound
through changing room acoustics. What I'm saying is that if you're
wrong and the amp you're using IS imposing a sound, it's going to
taint everything without you ever realizing what the problem is. So in
that sense we're both wrong about that last point.

Note that I continue to think that decent amps, if not
driven past limits and with sane speaker loads, will deliver
subjectively absolutely clean sound.

I will say that Stereo Review probably had an editorial
position that limited negative reviews.

I heard rumours that that was the case.

I think that their then technical editor, Larry Klein,
outlined this in an article somewhere, although I cannot
remember the details. It may have been printed in a back
issue of the Boston Audio Society magazine "Speaker." By the
way, Klein was given a biographical outline by me in The
Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound.

Supposedly, this
allowed them to present products that readers might care to
buy, rather than present products that put some small
manufacturers out of business because of negative reviews.

Or offended big manufacturers who cared nought for sound quality.

Most of the large manufacturers were not concerned one way
or the other. If a product was panned by a magazine review
they could simply discontinue it and come out with a
replacement, assuming that the review triggered poor sales.
(Probably, the replacement would be a cosmetically
reconfigured version of the previous product.)

Not probably but certainly. And firms like Pioneer and JVC did this on
a regular basis.

It was the
smaller companies that would be severely impacted by a bad
review, due to their inability to retool so fast.

So Stereo Review was motivated purely by altruism toward small
business? :-)

Space was limited and the editors probably felt that people
would be more interested in decent components than in
reading about junk.

But what about when the junk was labelled a decent component?

Well, I think that rarely happened, even with Stereo Review
or Audio. They might make a mistake, but I do not think they
gave any product a "pass" that they did not think deserved it.

If they didn't believe in subjective differences between amps, they
most certainly could give junk a pass.

Note that while Stereo Review's amp and player reviewer were
rather bland (unless you enjoyed measured data and printed
curves, which I will admit that I often do), their speaker
reviews at least did allow for a fair amount of speculation.

Which raises the question, if they only seemed to detect audible
differences between speakers, why not just review speakers? Why review
amps when it was clear they were not going to comment negatively on
sound quality?

They needed to sell magazines. Note that their amp reviews
usually did not come right out and say that a given,
somewhat expensive amp, did not sound any better than scads
of other units that often cost less. What they did do was
evaluate the features and then summarize (this is Hirsch) by
saying that the unit sounded transparent, etc.

Yes. That's what made the mag so interesting. zzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Indeed, Julian Hirsch, although pretty straightforward and
analytic when reviewing stuff like amps and players, was
definitely a bottom-line subjectivist when he reviewed
speakers, even though he also provided rudimentary
measurements. I did that sort of thing, myself, by the way.
Also, back when he was reviewing cartridges Hirsch did a
good straddling of subjective and objective points of view.

Would it be possible not to be a subjectivist when reviewing speakers?
Would anyone seriously suggest all speakers sounded alike, or sounded
as they measured?

Actually, I think that Floyd Toole (previously at the
Canadian NRC and now at Harman) would say that. He has been
working for years to correlate measurements with subjective
impressions, and has published articles on the topic.

To a small extent I have also been that way. I did very
basic RTA measurements of speakers in my main room that
measured a combination of the direct and reverberant fields.
My technique was a bit different than typical, however.

I measured at a 10 foot to 15 foot distance (to each speaker
in a playing pair, depending on placement in relation to the
front wall) and moved the measurement microphone very slowly
over a 1 x 1 x 5 foot box-shaped area at roughly head height
at the listening couch. During this time my AudioControl
SA-3051 RTA would do a cumulative, 20-second averaging of
the signals hitting the microphone. This limited the impact
of reflective hot spots and standing waves, while still
gaining me a fairly accurate room curve, for that room.

With speakers that measured similarly (I noted a similarity
between my Dunlavy Cantatas and a Triad sub/package in
another thread) I found that the spectral balance that I
heard was also similar. Very similar.

On the other hand, speakers that measured rather poorly (and
I did publish reviews of a few of them, with some being
fairly expensive) easily not only sounded different from my
three reference systems (the Cantatas, plus a pair of NHT
ST4 units in a mid-price category and my Allison IC-20
systems in the wide-dispersion category) but also sounded
just plain wrong.

Of course, in some cases there were variables that had been
dialed in by some of the manufacturers, with most of those
involving midrange dips or downward slopes from the midrange
to the treble, that made systems that were at least smooth
still sound different from the flatter-measuring reference
units. When I reviewed such systems I pointed out those
artifacts and also noted that in many cases (different
rooms, different furnishings, different listening distances,
different recordings) such anomalies might not be all that
bad. I even did an article that showed how speakers with
moderate midrange dips (the result of tweeter/midrange
driver size differences) might sound better than
flatter-sounding systems under some conditions. As I have
noted before, I cut speaker manufacturers a lot of slack in
my reviews. However, I did make a point of showing why
speakers may have sounded as they did.

Interesting. Back in the late 70s I wrote an article for an OZ mag
which touched on the Dalquist DQ10, then all the rage, and the fact
that it had a measurable midrange dip yet sounded better than most of
its peers. All this of course raises the question of whether measured
accuracy is desirable, or should speakers at least be designed purely
by listening. I guess the ideal is what most designers do: start off
trying for a flat frequency response and lowest distortion and then
tweak by ear. But in my view the tweaking would ultimately have to
take precedence over measurement.

In my reviews, I never showed the readouts that I made
(Hirsch never did this with speakers, either), but some time
back I did a pair of comprehensive commentary articles where
I illustrated a whole group of curves run on speakers that I
had either reviewed previously or had on hand as references.
I then discussed the importance of such curves and also made
a big point of noting that such curves were not the be all
and end all of speaker evaluating. Starting points, but not
finishing points.

I just don't get the point of
mags that deny the reality of subjectivism. It's like a mag about
fridges that says, "Hey, they all freeze the bloody ice cream so what
are you worried about? Just get the size that suits."

Well, The Sensible Sound (where I mostly wrote for the last
few years) is often outrageously subjective. Yes, guys like
me, David Rich, and David Moran (and Fred Davis, when he
helped me with a wire review that I got suckered into by the
management) were (and are) pretty brass-tacks oriented.
(Rich goes well beyond even that with his amp and player
reviews.) However, most of the remaining contributors turn
speculation into an art form. And as I noted, Hirsch's
reviews of speakers were more subjective than objective. I
also wrote for The Audiophile Voice, and I must admit that I
avoided reviewing any products for them that had black-box
performance.

Black box?

An analogy. Straight wire with gain for amps.
Straightforward performance with players. No colorations at
all with wires. I did not care to pontificate for a reading
group who already felt as they did about those topics. Gene
Pitts (the editor) had already told me that most of his
readers thought that measurements "do not mean a thing," and
that skeptical outlooks like mine would not go over well.
However, with full-range speakers and subwoofers I could be
fairly candid and not get into trouble, because speakers are
all audibly flawed by definition. Even so, he did not want
me dwelling too much on my measured data.

Hmmm...sounds like an interesting relationship. You must have been
walking on rice paper much of the time, Grasshopper.

Speakers and subwoofers, only, and even then
the editor wanted minimal technical babble.

Which is reasonable, wouldn't you say? However a speaker measures,
whatever the wonders of its conception and design, its subjective
performance is all that matters. I should say one on-axis and one
off-axis frequency response is about as much as I want to to know
about how most speakers measure.

I did not go even that far. When I first started measuring I
took speakers outdoors on the deck next to my house and
tried to get assorted on and off-axis readouts. The problem
is that when measuring horizontally at different angles you
still have to determine just how high or low you want to
locate the microphone. If you get what you believe to be a
definitive measurement at, say, 45 degrees off the
horizontal axis at one microphone height location, you will
discover that if you raise or lower the microphone a bit and
measure again the result will be considerably different.

Which means I guess that to accurately inform the reader that this is
the speaker for him you'd have to go to his home and take measurements
at his preferred listening position. So one can understand why some
reviewers took a purely subjectivist line with speakers.

(big snip)

Components like that
will allow a reviewer to go overboard with speculation at
times, and yet the review will still be educational and
worthwhile. And of course, we still have the power-output
and wild-load issue with amps, even if they sound alike
under more sane conditions.

Lots of questions there. Cannot a wild load affect an amp's
performance even at sane levels, for one?

Yep. However, the impact is probably slight in most cases,
assuming that this "wild" load merely involves very low
impedance. With reactive loads like electrostatics all bets
are off.

Surely all crossovers are reactive to some degree. And surely a very
low impedance dip will compromise an amp's integrity even more than a
reactive load. Especially an amp using a "cheap" power supply.
Obviously you went out of your way to avoid testing amps, but I wonder
to what degree a reviewer generally tests the "stiffness" of an amp's
power supply.

As I have noted elsewhere in this series of posts, while it
is still hot here, my workshop and its deck out back are in
the shade most of the day, and so, in spite of what I have
said before about it being too hot here to do woodworking
projects, doing things like that out there is not really all
that bad.

Consequently, I am going to back off from RAO for a while
and do some other interesting things. There is one
exception, however, and this involves whether you come up
with some interesting comments about this particular post.
If not, see you later.

Howard Ferstler

Couldn't think of any interesting comments, so you'll have to go with
these ones.

Or not.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, I do have an affinity for sending tight-assed,
clueless old fogeys like yourself running for the hills.

I forgot exactly how many times you have left RAO with
your tail between your legs. when does your next hiatus
begin?

When the 30-day free trial runs out?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
John Atkinson John Atkinson is offline

Howard Ferstler wrote:
paul packer wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:30:04 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:
I will say that Stereo Review probably had an editorial
position that limited negative reviews.

I heard rumours that that was the case.

I think that their then technical editor, Larry Klein,
outlined this in an article somewhere, although I cannot
remember the details.

Larry Klein addressed this subject in person at the 1990
AES Conference in Washington DC. If a review turned out
negative, Kelin would negotiate a rewording of the text with
the manufacturer. If agreement could not be reached, the
review would be "spiked," ie, it would nto be published
in Stereo Review.

By the way, Klein was given a biographical outline by me
in The Encyclopedia of Recorded Sound.

Why? Payback for having published articles by you, Mr.
Ferstler? Or merely for sharing your views on publishing
ethics?

John Atkinson
Editor, Stereophile

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:03:26 GMT, Jenn

(paul packer) wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:30:04 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:

paul packer wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:53:58 -0400, Howard Ferstler
wrote:
Yes, this is a problem with the the hobby of audio. Most
enthusiasts want some action and observable contrasts with
their hobby. If amps and wires and players (costs
notwithstanding) all pretty much perform the same, then what
fun is it to speculate about which is "best?" And what fun
is it to spend big on a super amp and preamp or super player
or super wires if some clown can go to Circuit City and get
a receiver or player that works as well and go to a hardware
store and get lamp cord that also works (subjectively, at
least) as well. It is an unfortunate fact of life that a
hobby like audio almost demands that speculation and
guesswork-grade evaluations be done, and that there is some
way to purchase elitist-grade products that allow the owner
to gain a feeling of pride. And fit and finish advantages
and reliability just do not do it for some people

I'm not much interested in whether super expensive stuff sounds better
or not. I'm more interested in the differences in equipment in the
affordable price ranges. And my listenings shows me clearly that there
are differences--no doubts there at all. However, I'm not saying those
differences would be detected by every listener, or that if they were.
that the listeners would even care. I listen carefully. Sound is
important to me. The differences I hear can to me be the difference
between continuing pleasure and nagging disappointment---yet still
they're quite small, and I daresay would be undetectable or
insignificant to most people. So in a sense both the subjectivists and
objectivists are right. There are differences, but differences only of
importance to the most fastidious listeners.

This is where I think the debate should be centered.. You were not
able to detect differences between amps and CD players, so you trusted
the measurements, as Arnie does, and the measurements appear to tell
you that the differences others claim to perceive simply don't exist.
I can certainly understand you railing against tweako-freako
merchandise, because frankly most of that stuff offends common-sense;
and I can understand you bewailing the spending of vast sums on
equipment that measures no better, sometimes worse, than cheap stuff.
However, let's leave the nutty side of the hobby to the nuts, and the
high-end to the rich, and at least admit that there may be perceptable
differences between affordable amps and CD players. That way you don't
offend common-sense, yet you allow enough to permit the hobby to
continue and we subjectivists to have some fun comparing stuff. Is
that a fair deal?

snip

This is one of the most sensible ($ensible?) posts that has appeared
here in some time.

Did you check with Arnie before you posted that? He may not agree.
:-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:08:55 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message

The thing I don't get is, if mags don't talk about
subjective differences, what do they talk about?

The good ones talk about subjective differences that are reliably
perceptible.

To you, Arnie? That wouldn't occupy much space.

Back in
the 70s I read a couple of issues of Stereo Review and
was bored to tears.

I suspect that most of it was written above your reading level.

That's lame even by Krueger standards.

Every product was excellent except
one or two that maybe should have placed the balance
control to the left rather than right of the volume
control. It was all harmonic and intermodulation
distortion graphs, and once you've seen one of those
you've seen them all.

I note that the equipment reviews were a tiny fraction of the editorial
content of the magazine. I guess that in Packer world, none of the rest of
the magazine existed.

You mean the profiles of audio pioneers or whatever? Nope, equipment
reviews are where it's at for me. That's why the British mags were
vastly superior.

What is the point of a mag that
makes no comment on sound quality, or assumes there is
none?

That wasn't SR. Most of the magazine was about subjective differences,
starting with the music reviews.

And ending with them unfortunately. I think we were reading two
different magazines, Arnie.
Or maybe you were only looking at the pictures, mostly frequency
response graphs.

Oh I get it, Packer never read those parts of the ragazine, you know the
ones about music.

If I want to read about music I buy the Gramophone magazine, as would
any sensible person.

Okay, admittedly some of the subjective mags hear
differences where a dog would have difficulty, but I'm
sure most readers compensate for that with a healthy dose
of skepticism.

Most subjective ragazines are so deep into imaginary differences that they
wouldn't know the difference.

Eh?

I just don't get the point of mags that
deny the reality of subjectivism.

There aren't any.

Subjective differences between amps and CD players, Arnie. Don't be
obtuse.

It's like a mag about
fridges that says, "Hey, they all freeze the bloody ice
cream so what are you worried about? Just get the size
that suits."

That would be a figment of your imagination, Paul.

At least I have an imagination, Arnie.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message

The thing I don't get is, if mags don't talk about
subjective differences, what do they talk about?

The good ones talk about subjective differences that are
reliably perceptible.

To you, Arnie? That wouldn't occupy much space.

Well Paul, since you're just trying to be irritating, and not the least bit
interested in truth, that's it.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

(paul packer) said:

Fair enough, and the last point is similar to one I made just
recently. However, the sound of any component in your system is
constant, whereas room acoustics and recording quality are variables
(I mean that you can hang drapes and chuck out the worst sounding
CDs). If there really is a "sound" to your amp, it will affect all CDs
all the time, and possibly also thwart all attempts to improve sound
through changing room acoustics. What I'm saying is that if you're
wrong and the amp you're using IS imposing a sound, it's going to
taint everything without you ever realizing what the problem is. So in
that sense we're both wrong about that last point.

That's the nicest thing about being an electronics hobbyist: you *can*
alter the sound of your amp, and realize what you're doing.

Take it one step further: you *can* change the character of the entire
system (room acoustics notwithstanding) by tweaking one (or more)
components in the chain.
The next step is tweaking the components towards eachother (like: amp
to speaker, which has the most effect. But also: arm/cart, and
cart-preamp).

You can even strive for "system synthesis", with that I mean the
outcome is more than just the sum of the parts.
I believe I have reached that stadium just yet ;-)

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] vinylanach@aol.com is offline

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Clyde Slick wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

Well, I do have an affinity for sending tight-assed, clueless old
fogeys like yourself running for the hills.

I forgot exactly how many times you have left RAO with your
tail between your legs. when does your next hiatus begin?

Immediately, but without my tail between my legs, tweako.
While it is still hot here, my workshop and its deck out
back are in the shade most of the day, and so, in spite of
what I have said before about it being too hot here to do
woodworking projects, doing things like that out there is
not really all that taxing. I have some items I want to
build now, and I also am getting back into reading. The fact
is that duking it out with some of you RAO trilobites is,
for the most part, both demoralizing and a waste of time. I
have managed to post enough for assorted newcomers to get a
feel for the stupidity of the tweako point of view.

All you did for the newcomers is to confirm that yes, Howard Ferstler
did retire from audio journalism in disgrace.

I'll drop back in one of these days to see if the same
people are ranting about the same pointless subjects.

Whatever keeps you from sticking that gun in your mouth, slick.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] vinylanach@aol.com is offline

Howard Ferstler wrote:
Jenn wrote:

Why
would anyone take the time to come to a place that he supposedly
despises, displaying all the while that it's difficult for him to leave
and stay away, taking pains to be critical of others' opinions in a
groups whose name contains the word "opinion", and claiming to be
educating others about how "goofy" their hobby is?

I was a philosophy major in grad school.

Adios

Maybe you should be spending more time with the alt.suicide.holiday
newsgroup. You might find it a more productive way to spend your life
than hanging out here, slick.

Boon

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

wrote:

"paul packer" wrote in message

The thing I don't get is, if mags don't talk about
subjective differences, what do they talk about?

The good ones talk about subjective differences that are
reliably perceptible.

To you, Arnie? That wouldn't occupy much space.

Well Paul, since you're just trying to be irritating, and not the least bit
interested in truth, that's it.

What is it, Arnie? Don't keep me in suspenders.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
paul packer paul packer is offline

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 21:41:44 +0200, Sander deWaal
wrote:

(paul packer) said:

[...]

I presume you mean "haven't". In any case you make a good point,
though I guess even if you achieved perfect synthesis and started
marketing the "perfect system", individual room acoustics, individual
taste and lousy recordings would still taint your Utopia. Still, it's
all in the right direction, or would be if Home Theatre hadn't
buggered the whole thing up.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

(paul packer) said:

You can even strive for "system synthesis", with that I mean the
outcome is more than just the sum of the parts.
I believe I have reached that stadium just yet ;-)

I presume you mean "haven't".

Nope, I * have* .
I relocated my speakers this week, and ever since, am enjoying music
in a way I'd never imagined.

In any case you make a good point,
though I guess even if you achieved perfect synthesis and started
marketing the "perfect system", individual room acoustics, individual
taste and lousy recordings would still taint your Utopia.

They don't, that's the beauty of it.
Listen to the Jaco pastorius recordings that were made for his
birthday, it seems it was recorded by someone with a portable DAT
hidden under his jacket.
Even that recording, though always enjoyable because of the music, is
now more than bearable sound-wise.
Detaisl I've never heard before, are suddely there, basslines are
clear to follow etc. etc.

Still, it's
all in the right direction, or would be if Home Theatre hadn't
buggered the whole thing up.

I always was pretty sure, but now am totally convinced, that I have
absolutely no need for HT multichannel **** to listen to my music.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

Signal said:

I certainly would build my own speakers, if I had a fully-equipped
woodworking toolshed at my disposal.
As it is now, I have neither the space, nor the money to build up an
entire woodwork place. I would like to, however.
I feel it as a shortcoming in my experience that I have never built
any serious speakers myself (only one subwoofer doesn't count IMO).

You're discounting the JM Lab Utopia clones then...? ;-)

Those were knockoffs, not my design, not my woordwork.
I just did the electronics.

--
"All amps sound alike, but some sound more alike than others".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
(paul packer) said:

[...]

Sander -

Nobody "needs' multi-channel to enjoy music. But a good, music-oriented
system of the same quality as your stereo rig can open some avenues of
enjoyment beyond that of stereo. In most cases, it can be achieved without
in any way diminishing your current stereo system. So you could have the
best of both worlds (albeit at a price). But then again, we all pay a price
to have something better than mid-fi sound.

Harry