Carey Carlan

Default Bass resonances in large room

Recorded in a new school gym that sounded pretty good except for the bass
drum, which created about a 30 Hz rumble that carried for a couple of
seconds.

Roughly 40 x 60 x 24. Concrete block wall, wood floor, nondescript
ceiling. Looks like a band of 703 roughly 6' high running around the room
about 6' below the ceiling.

Other than that rumble of thunder, this was a fairly pleasant room--at
least with a floor full of performers and parents. Don't know how it would
sound empty.

Astonishing note: My local middle school (6th - 8th grades) has nearly 80%
participation in the performing arts. Over 400 students play string
instruments, another 400 in the six (!) bands, and like numbers in the
choruses. Phenomenal!

Is there a portable way to contain that noise if I ever wanted to record
anything important in there?
Scott Dorsey

Carey Carlan wrote:

Is there a portable way to contain that noise if I ever wanted to record
anything important in there?

No, but there is probably a place in the room where you can go (or where you
can put the drum) where it will be less of a problem. It's a standing wave
issue, in all likelyhood.

Ethan Winer

Carey,

Recorded in a new school gym that sounded pretty good except for the bass

drum, which created about a 30 Hz rumble that carried for a couple of
seconds.

In large rooms the low frequency problems are mainly excessive reverb, which
is the case here. With smaller rooms the walls are close together so you get
peaks and deep nulls caused by standing waves, but not reverb. In a large
room you're far enough away from the walls to avoid that. But just like with
small rooms, absorption is the solution - the thicker the better, and lots
of it.

--Ethan

Carey Carlan

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in
:

In large rooms the low frequency problems are mainly excessive reverb,
which is the case here. With smaller rooms the walls are close
together so you get peaks and deep nulls caused by standing waves, but
not reverb. In a large room you're far enough away from the walls to
avoid that. But just like with small rooms, absorption is the solution
- the thicker the better, and lots of it.

"Lots of it' seems to be the keyword.

Assuming about 40 x 60 x 24, what percentage of the walls would need
covering to damp the resonances?

Willie K.Yee, M.D.

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in
:

In large rooms the low frequency problems are mainly excessive reverb,
which is the case here. With smaller rooms the walls are close
together so you get peaks and deep nulls caused by standing waves, but
not reverb. In a large room you're far enough away from the walls to
avoid that. But just like with small rooms, absorption is the solution
- the thicker the better, and lots of it.

Call the principal. Tell him the school is in for a giat liability
suit if some kid runs into one of the walls, and that they should get
real thick padding all around. That will cover 1/4 of the walls. Then
you might be able to afford enought for the top of the walls.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:47:40 GMT, Carey Carlan
wrote:

"Lots of it' seems to be the keyword.

Assuming about 40 x 60 x 24, what percentage of the walls would need
covering to damp the resonances?

Willie K. Yee, M.D. http://users.bestweb.net/~wkyee
Developer of Problem Knowledge Couplers for Psychiatry http://www.pkc.com
Webmaster and Guitarist for the Big Blue Big Band http://www.bigbluebigband.org

Blind Joni

In large rooms the low frequency problems are mainly excessive reverb,
which is the case here

In large rooms the high frequency problems are mainly erverb..as you go lower
it's a whole different game.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Ethan Winer

Carey,

Assuming about 40 x 60 x 24, what percentage of the walls would need

covering to damp the resonances?

How much absorption you need to obtain a particular RT60 (reverb decay time)
depends on what's in the room now - what's on all the surfaces, how many
windows, cinder block or sheetrock walls, etc.

I'll guess that 20% of the total area of all six surfaces is a good start.
Since boominess is the main problem and you want the space to sound good for
music, not just speech, a permanent treatment solution would use rigid
fiberglass that's four inches thick. Thicker materials don't absorb "more"
than thin ones, but they do absorb to a lower frequency. If the fiberglass
panels are suspended away from the walls/ceiling by a few inches they'll
absorb to an even lower frequency.

I noticed you asked about a portable solution, and that's what my company
RealTraps makes. But understand that for a space that size you're looking at
a fair number of panels.

--Ethan

Carey Carlan

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in
:

I noticed you asked about a portable solution, and that's what my
company RealTraps makes. But understand that for a space that size
you're looking at a fair number of panels.

Thanks, Ethan. That's what I needed to know. IOW, it isn't an option.

Mark

Carey Carlan wrote in message .191...
"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in
:

I noticed you asked about a portable solution, and that's what my
company RealTraps makes. But understand that for a space that size
you're looking at a fair number of panels.

Thanks, Ethan. That's what I needed to know. IOW, it isn't an option.

Well if you don't care what the live show sounds like but you want to
make the RECORDING sound better, and your problem is really at 30 Hz,
a graphic EQ will be a big help. Just notch out the 30 Hz.

Mark

Scott Dorsey

Carey Carlan wrote:
(Mark) wrote in
. com:

Well if you don't care what the live show sounds like but you want to
make the RECORDING sound better, and your problem is really at 30 Hz,
a graphic EQ will be a big help. Just notch out the 30 Hz.

At best a second-rate solution. I still need the fundamental of that big
bass drum and some of the resonance. It just needs to fade about three
times as fast.

Does anyone make an anti-reverb? g

No, but they do make an anticompressor. A multiband compressor that will
also do expansion can be a big help for fixing this sort of thing. Make
a band centered around the problem area and expand it while leaving the
rest of the bandwidth unchanged.

Blind Joni

Does anyone make an anti-reverb? g

Transient Designer type units can do this on recordings.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Blind Joni

Well that does rasise an interesting question. If a room resonates at
30 Hz and creates a freq response peak and ringing at 30 Hz, if you
create an EQ curve that matches the inverse of the room so it just
flattens the peak, it should also take out the ringing. No?

PLUS...what system do you have that is actually producing substantial energy at
30HZ? It is probably producing harmonics of that.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Scott Dorsey

Mark wrote:

Well that does rasise an interesting question. If a room resonates at
30 Hz and creates a freq response peak and ringing at 30 Hz, if you
create an EQ curve that matches the inverse of the room so it just
flattens the peak, it should also take out the ringing. No? Cascaded
linear systems?

It does. But Carey wants to take the ringing out without removing the
peak, probably because the peak is not evident in the direct sound.

This is not a very common problem, and it's really a sign of just
catastrophically bad acoustics. But considering that I have a gig
in a high school multipurpose room myself in five hours...

Scott Dorsey

Blind Joni wrote:
Well that does rasise an interesting question. If a room resonates at
30 Hz and creates a freq response peak and ringing at 30 Hz, if you
create an EQ curve that matches the inverse of the room so it just
flattens the peak, it should also take out the ringing. No?

PLUS...what system do you have that is actually producing substantial energy at
30HZ? It is probably producing harmonics of that.

Live tympani. In a gymnasium.
This is the kind of gig that it is best to turn down altogether.

Bob Cain

Mark wrote:

Well that does rasise an interesting question. If a room resonates at
30 Hz and creates a freq response peak and ringing at 30 Hz, if you
create an EQ curve that matches the inverse of the room so it just
flattens the peak, it should also take out the ringing. No? Cascaded
linear systems?

If the equalization is not out of phase with the resonance
as measured at the speaker (which is very hard to do) it can
add to it. Inversion means both magnitude and phase correction.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Blind Joni

Live tympani. In a gymnasium.
This is the kind of gig that it is best to turn down altogether.
--scott

Absolutely..I played Tympani in high school..we always rehearsed in the
auditorium..but the competitions were in large gyms..very distracting. Once at
All State I had 128 measures of rest and miscounted..ended with my big tympani
flurry with great conviction and style..too bad I was one measure ahead of the
rest of the group.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Carey Carlan

You're assuming that the sound comes from a speaker, an electrical
signal. Mine comes from a 6' concert bass drum. (The fundamental of
which I really want in the recording).

Make that a FIVE foot concert bass drum. Measuring the drum against the
drummer, I forgot the percussionist was only a 7th-grader.

agent86

Scott Dorsey wrote:

It does. But Carey wants to take the ringing out without removing the
peak, probably because the peak is not evident in the direct sound.

This is not a very common problem, and it's really a sign of just
catastrophically bad acoustics. But considering that I have a gig
in a high school multipurpose room myself in five hours...

Which makes for a great opportunity for some of us to get educated. So,
are you going to print your multiband expansion to tape (or DAT or DISK)
live? Or is this something you can do later?