MS

Default MP3 players that record

I have seen that some of the hard disk-based MP3 players can also record
stereo music live to MP3. A couple that I recall seeing that record are a
model by Phillips, by Archos, and others. (I'm sure there are more.)

My question is--will these only record to the MP3 format? Or can they also
record to .wav, uncompressed, or to other compression formats like .wma.

I think I would probably prefer to record uncompressed, to .wav. Then I
could choose my own compression type and parameters to compress the music
afterwards, or burn it to a CD uncompressed. These hard drive models have a
lot of storage, like 20GB, so they could certainly hold some time of
uncompressed music. (I don't think one would want to keep much music on it
for listening uncompressed, as that would greatly limit how much could fit
on it. But for recording--my preference would be to record uncompressed, do
whatever editing I want to do while uncompressed, and compress it as the
last step, choosing myself the type and amount of compression.) How many
minutes or hours of uncompressed stereo music in .wav format would 20 GB
hold, for example?

Anyhow, does anyone know if any of these hard disk mp3 recorder/players will
also record uncompressed, to .wav? Which models?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Also, if anyone could recommend any
other relevant newsgroups or discussion groups to post this question to,
please post that info here also.) Thank you.

porcelina

I have seen that some of the hard disk-based MP3 players can also record
stereo music live to MP3. A couple that I recall seeing that record are a
model by Phillips, by Archos, and others. (I'm sure there are more.)

iriver ihp-100/20 is the go

philips hd-100 is junk btw

My question is--will these only record to the MP3 format? Or can they also
record to .wav, uncompressed, or to other compression formats like .wma.

ihp series can directly record to uncompressed wav format as well as
encoding to mp3's (40-320k)

this is via its line in. unfortunately fm recording is not yet available
from the actual unit itself

I think I would probably prefer to record uncompressed, to .wav. Then I
could choose my own compression type and parameters to compress the music
afterwards, or burn it to a CD uncompressed.

why? can you tell the difference between cd quality and 320k mp3s? storing
everything as uncompressed wav files would almost defeat the purpose of the
portable juke box

These hard drive models have a lot of storage, like 20GB, so they could

certainly hold some time of
uncompressed music. (I don't think one would want to keep much music on it
for listening uncompressed, as that would greatly limit how much could fit
on it. But for recording--my preference would be to record uncompressed,

do
whatever editing I want to do while uncompressed, and compress it as the
last step, choosing myself the type and amount of compression.)

oh i see disregard my last comment

How many
minutes or hours of uncompressed stereo music in .wav format would 20 GB
hold, for example?

1 cd = 80 minutes = 700mb

20/0.7=28.57cds

28.57*80=2285.6 minutes

38.09 hours

hmm that is a fair wad

Anyhow, does anyone know if any of these hard disk mp3 recorder/players

will
also record uncompressed, to .wav? Which models?

all youve suggested and many more check:

www.dapreview.com

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Also, if anyone could recommend any
other relevant newsgroups or discussion groups to post this question to,
please post that info here also.) Thank you.

i guess when it all comes down to it you have to ask yourself if you really
need to carry around so much music! after all you can only listen to one
song at a time and there are only 24 hours in one day. so maybe a flash
player might be a more viable option. typically they are more robust and
commonly upgradeable. they are also smaller and lighter and have much
greater battery life. but if you are set on a hard drive player you need to
take into account the excessive prices. you also need to make choices on
what features are most important to you. ie: for me i went for the iriver
ihp-100. although a wiser option might have been a zen nx xtra because it
has a capacity 6 times greater plus a removeable battery, but for me
important features were sound quality, build quality, bass and trebble
adjustments, physical size, build quality. i guess what sold me on iriver
was its plug and play interface. but there are so many choices and it doesnt
matter what you buy because in 3 months time something better willl be out
rendering your think worthless. goodluck!!

R. P.

" MS" wrote:
I have seen that some of the hard disk-based MP3 players can also

record
stereo music live to MP3. A couple that I recall seeing that record

are a
model by Phillips, by Archos, and others. (I'm sure there are more.)

My question is--will these only record to the MP3 format? Or can they

also
record to .wav, uncompressed, or to other compression formats like

..wma.

Pogo Products has several SD based player/recorders that can record
in wma or mp3 format from the line-in jack. The compression quality can
also be adjusted. Personally, I use the RipFlash DX model with 128 MB
internal memory and another 128 MB external memory added via an SD
module. That's a lot of storage for mp3 or wma files. The recording is
done in wma format only though. Some other Pogo products record in mp3
only, though they also play both formats.
For me their most intriguing product is the Radio YourWay that ads
AM/FM to the player recorder with the ability of recording a program
directly. It also has an internal speaker. I'm just hesitating buying
the 1st generation of this product as it has less internal storage
capability than my current RipFlash DX model. I also wish they woul use
regular flash cards instead of these hard-to-handle Secure Digital
modules that require special software on the PC to download or upload
files through the USB port.

Rudy

[...]

MS

No, I would not be interested in keeping music uncompressed on a portable
music player. The reason, as I said, for recording live music uncompressed,
is that it is better to edit that way, and save with compression to put on
the portable music player as the last step, and/or burn to CD uncompressed.
I would like that option. Also, when I compress it, I might prefer a
different format than MP3, such as WMA or AC3 or OGG. So yes, for a unit
that records, I certainly would prefer to have the option of recording
uncompressed.

Why get a HD player? I didn't say anything about that, I only asked about
recording. I think most players that record are HD ones. I'd like to find
out about all, including flash recorders, if there are any. (I know there
are voice recorders, but I mean ones that can record stereo music, with some
quality.) Just as an aside, though, when you ask why people buy HD players,
when they could not possibly listen to all that music in one day? I guess
there is a convenience factor, of not having to connect it to the computer
as often to delete some songs and put on others, not having to switch memory
cards (which can also be expensive), etc. Just put a lot of music on it, and
it will last a while as is. However, for me, if I was just looking for a
player, I probably would go for a flash player, less expense, and I prefer
the very small size and light weight. There is a compromise now, units made
with a tiny HD (Cornice storage element), not much larger than a flash
player, not much more expensive either, yet they hold 1.5 GB, rather than
the 128 or 256 MB that flash players hold. I might consider one of those.
(Such as Rio Nitrus, one of the RCA Lyra, and others.) However, my question
was not about players, but about recorders.

Why is the Philips HD-100 junk?

You mention the Iriver IHP 100/20, and say that the recording is via its
line-in. Will a stereo microphone work directly in the line-in jack? Or
would one need a pre-amp?

John R

http://www.pogoproducts.com/

--
----------
"You know, Captain, every year of my life I grow more and more convinced

"R. P." wrote in message
[...]

porcelina

MS wrote in message
No, I would not be interested in keeping music uncompressed on a portable
music player. The reason, as I said, for recording live music

uncompressed,
is that it is better to edit that way, and save with compression to put on
the portable music player as the last step, and/or burn to CD

uncompressed.
I would like that option.

right

Also, when I compress it, I might prefer a
different format than MP3, such as WMA or AC3 or OGG. So yes, for a unit
that records, I certainly would prefer to have the option of recording
uncompressed.

fair enough

Why get a HD player? I didn't say anything about that, I only asked about
recording.

your entire post makes references to hard disk players

I think most players that record are HD ones. I'd like to find
out about all, including flash recorders, if there are any. (I know there
are voice recorders, but I mean ones that can record stereo music, with

some
quality.)

maybe look at the beat and efx players which can be found at:

http://www.mp3direct.com.au/webstore/default.asp

maybeJust as an aside, though, when you ask why people buy HD players,
[...]

just read the review. it might look nice but it is as stable as a crack
whore

You mention the Iriver IHP 100/20, and say that the recording is via its
line-in. Will a stereo microphone work directly in the line-in jack? Or
would one need a pre-amp?

pre amp required for 100 but not 120

"porcelina" wrote in message

[...]

Arny Krueger

" MS" wrote in message

I have seen that some of the hard disk-based MP3 players can also
record stereo music live to MP3. A couple that I recall seeing that
record are a model by Phillips, by Archos, and others. (I'm sure
there are more.)

My question is--will these only record to the MP3 format? Or can they
also record to .wav, uncompressed, or to other compression formats
like .wma.

Depends which hard disk player you are thinking of. There are several,
including the Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 and the iRiver IHP-120 that record
in .wav format. This makes them suitable as parts of systems for making high
quality remote recording.

I think I would probably prefer to record uncompressed, to .wav. Then
I could choose my own compression type and parameters to compress the
music afterwards, or burn it to a CD uncompressed.

In general, music need not be recorded by these devices to be played by
them. Most music is placed on these devices by means of file transfer from a
computer. It is not usually recorded on them per se.

These hard drive
models have a lot of storage, like 20GB, so they could certainly hold
some time of uncompressed music.

I have a 20 GB Nomad Jukebox with nothing but uncompressed music on it. It
holds something like 400 songs and other longer musical works such as two
complete cycles of the Beethoven Symphonies.

(I don't think one would want to
keep much music on it for listening uncompressed, as that would
greatly limit how much could fit on it. But for recording--my
preference would be to record uncompressed, do whatever editing I
want to do while uncompressed, and compress it as the last step,
choosing myself the type and amount of compression.) How many minutes
or hours of uncompressed stereo music in .wav format would 20 GB
hold, for example?

I've made uncompressed recordings on my Nomad Jukebox 3, but I transferred
them to my PC for editing.

Anyhow, does anyone know if any of these hard disk mp3
recorder/players will also record uncompressed, to .wav? Which models?

There's too many of these products and new ones are coming out too fast to
provide a comprehensive list. But, I've named two popular ones.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Also, if anyone could
recommend any other relevant newsgroups or discussion groups to post
this question to, please post that info here also.) Thank you.

alt.music.mp3.hardware and creative.products.nomad come to mind.

MS

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

In general, music need not be recorded by these devices to be played by
them. Most music is placed on these devices by means of file transfer from

computer. It is not usually recorded on them per se.

That is obvious Arny. I know that. My reason for asking about a recorder is
not to make music to listen to on the portable device. It is that I
sometimes like to record live concerts. Currently I have used a minidisc
recorder for that. I am wondering if one of these other recorders might be a
good alternative to that. (Certainly would be easier to transfer music to
computer--just transfer the file--whereas the minidisc I have to play live
into the computer, in real time, to make a computer file.) (I don't think
one can "rip" a minidisc as one can with CDs.) I don't know what the music
quality would be for such devices though. Most that record say "voice
recorder", which means memos to yourself, not generally music quality.

Has anyone reading used one of these devices for recording live music?

Todd H.

" MS" writes:
I have seen that some of the hard disk-based MP3 players can also
record stereo music live to MP3. A couple that I recall seeing that
record are a model by Phillips, by Archos, and others. (I'm sure
there are more.)

My question is--will these only record to the MP3 format? Or can they also
record to .wav, uncompressed, or to other compression formats like
.wma.

I use a Creative Nomad Jukebox for this purpose, and it records direct
to 16-bit WAV files. I have an extensive writeup on its recording
capabilities and limitations, as well as mic recommendations here if
you are interested in it:
http://www.toddh.net/music/njb/

afterwards, or burn it to a CD uncompressed. These hard drive models
have a lot of storage, like 20GB, so they could certainly hold some
time of uncompressed music.

Oh, absolutely.

How many minutes or hours of uncompressed stereo music in .wav
format would 20 GB hold, for example?

My (now-dated) NJB1 holds over 6hrs of stereo 44.1kHz WAV's...and I
think it's hard drive may only be 4Gb or so. I honestly don't know
since I use it primarily for recording and its capacity far exceeds my
recording duration needs. :-)

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

Todd H.

(Todd H.) writes:
" MS" writes:
[...]

Strike that--the original NJB1 has a 6gb drive.
http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Jukebox/

The Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (NJB3) is an improvement over the
original sporting a 20Gb drive and a lot faster file transfer using
USB2.

Enjoy!

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
Arny Krueger

" MS" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

In general, music need not be recorded by these devices to be played
by them. Most music is placed on these devices by means of file
transfer from a computer. It is not usually recorded on them per se.

That is obvious Arny. I know that.

Good, I felt had to cover that, just in case.

My reason for asking about a
recorder is not to make music to listen to on the portable device. It
is that I sometimes like to record live concerts. Currently I have
used a minidisc recorder for that. I am wondering if one of these
other recorders might be a good alternative to that.

People are doing just that with these recorders. Their biggest weakness is
the fact that they don't include really good microphone preamps, and
something external usually has to be added.

(Certainly would
be easier to transfer music to computer--just transfer the
file--whereas the minidisc I have to play live into the computer, in
real time, to make a computer file.) (I don't think one can "rip" a
minidisc as one can with CDs.) I don't know what the music quality
would be for such devices though. Most that record say "voice
recorder", which means memos to yourself, not generally music
quality.

Recorders like the Nomad Jukebox 3 and iRiver IHP-120 have a number of high
quality inputs for recording, including line level inputs and optical
digital inputs. There's no lack of compatible hardware to use them with.

Has anyone reading used one of these devices for recording live music?

No, but I have made recordings with the line-level inputs of my Nomad
Jukebox.

I currently use a 12 track recorder for my live work.

If I had to make a 2-track live recording I'd probably either use my Nomad
along with one of my existing mic preamps or pick up a small Behringer
mixer, depending on the application and how many mics I wanted to use.

MS

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Recorders like the Nomad Jukebox 3 and iRiver IHP-120 have a number of

high
quality inputs for recording, including line level inputs and optical
digital inputs. There's no lack of compatible hardware to use them with.

Interesting. I looked at the Nomad info on the Creative web site, and saw
nothing about recording, not much on the Iriver site either. I guess these
companies aren't really selling that aspect much. And some just say "voice
recorder", which doesn't sound like capable of quality live music capture.

You say line input and optical input. But no microphone input? So, it is
necessary to use a preamp? That takes away some of the convenience of using
such a product for such recording. The more devices that need to be hooked
together, more bulk in pocket, more complications, and of course more
expense. The MD recorder doesn't require a pre-amp.

MS

"Todd H." wrote in message
I use a Creative Nomad Jukebox for this purpose, and it records direct
to 16-bit WAV files. I have an extensive writeup on its recording
capabilities and limitations, as well as mic recommendations here if
you are interested in it:
http://www.toddh.net/music/njb/

Read your article, Todd. Thanks, interesting.

You write that the batteries don't last long in recording, the need to be
near a wall outlet to plug into. That's a definite no-sale for me. Also, the
need for a pre-amp.

I think I'll stick with my MD recorder for now, for live recording. Perhaps
in a year or two they will have small units like this that are better suited
for live recording, longer battery life, only need to plug in a microphone,
no pre-amp required.

Arny Krueger

" MS" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Recorders like the Nomad Jukebox 3 and iRiver IHP-120 have a number
of high quality inputs for recording, including line level inputs
and optical digital inputs. There's no lack of compatible hardware
to use them with.

Interesting. I looked at the Nomad info on the Creative web site, and
saw nothing about recording, not much on the Iriver site either. I
guess these companies aren't really selling that aspect much. And
some just say "voice recorder", which doesn't sound like capable of
quality live music capture.

You say line input and optical input. But no microphone input?

True for the Nomad Jukebox, but apparently the IHP-120 has some kind of mic
input. I hope that it is a better implementation than the *virtual* mic
input on the Nomad Jukebox 3.

So, it is necessary to use a preamp?

If you want serious quality, which the basic recorders are capable of.

That takes away some of the convenience
of using such a product for such recording. The more devices that
need to be hooked together, more bulk in pocket, more complications,
and of course more expense. The MD recorder doesn't require a pre-amp.

Agreed. Not a problem for a serious on-location recordist, but for people
doing bootlegs or interviews, it would be.

There is some nice small mic preamp hardware out there that can be matched
up with these pieces... but for bootlegs or interviews, it's still on the
awkward side.

Todd H.

" MS" writes:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Recorders like the Nomad Jukebox 3 and iRiver IHP-120 have a number of

high
quality inputs for recording, including line level inputs and optical
digital inputs. There's no lack of compatible hardware to use them with.

Interesting. I looked at the Nomad info on the Creative web site, and saw
nothing about recording, not much on the Iriver site either. I guess these
companies aren't really selling that aspect much. And some just say "voice
recorder", which doesn't sound like capable of quality live music capture.

You say line input and optical input. But no microphone input? So, it is
necessary to use a preamp?

Not necessarily. A sensitivie omni with a battery box works fine if
you're doing live rock music. Details he

http://www.toddh.net/music/njb/

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
Todd H.

" MS" writes:

"Todd H." wrote in message
I use a Creative Nomad Jukebox for this purpose, and it records direct
to 16-bit WAV files. I have an extensive writeup on its recording
capabilities and limitations, as well as mic recommendations here if
you are interested in it:
http://www.toddh.net/music/njb/

Read your article, Todd. Thanks, interesting.

You write that the batteries don't last long in recording, the need to be
near a wall outlet to plug into. That's a definite no-sale for me. Also, the
need for a pre-amp.

Read further. The NJB3 evidently improves the battery situation quite
a bit, and you do not need a preamp--just a battery box.

I think I'll stick with my MD recorder for now, for live recording. Perhaps
in a year or two they will have small units like this that are better suited
for live recording, longer battery life, only need to plug in a microphone,
no pre-amp required.

If an MD's media is long enough for your purposes, there's certainly
no reason to switch.

For my uses at least, the 6+ hr recording time a Nomad Jukebox affords
and that it provides convenient transfer to the PC makes it a package
that an MD can't do for me.

Best Regard,s
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
Arny Krueger

"Todd H." wrote in message

" MS" writes:

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Recorders like the Nomad Jukebox 3 and iRiver IHP-120 have a number
of high quality inputs for recording, including line level inputs
and optical digital inputs. There's no lack of compatible hardware
to use them with.

Interesting. I looked at the Nomad info on the Creative web site,
and saw nothing about recording, not much on the Iriver site either.
I guess these companies aren't really selling that aspect much. And
some just say "voice recorder", which doesn't sound like capable of
quality live music capture.

You say line input and optical input. But no microphone input? So,
it is necessary to use a preamp?

Not necessarily. A sensitivie omni with a battery box works fine if
you're doing live rock music. Details he

http://www.toddh.net/music/njb/

Nice web page with lots of helpful hints. Thanks.

One other option that other NJB3 enthusiasts have said can really help
involves using a Boostaroo AKA Radio Shack part 330-1109. This product
that is intended as a headphone amplifier turns out to be a stereo amplifier
with 6 dB gain, that is super-clean ( 0.001% THD), super-quiet ( -93 dBA
noise) broadband (50-18K +/- 0.1 dB) and also happens to be able to drive
headphones quite well.

Todd H.

"Arny Krueger" writes:
One other option that other NJB3 enthusiasts have said can really
help involves using a Boostaroo AKA Radio Shack part 330-1109. This
product that is intended as a headphone amplifier turns out to be a
stereo amplifier with 6 dB gain, that is super-clean ( 0.001% THD),
super-quiet ( -93 dBA noise) broadband (50-18K +/- 0.1 dB) and also
happens to be able to drive headphones quite well.

Nice...good to know about.