JWelsh3374

Default RIP Terry Melcher

Another good one gone...
Songwriter, record producer Terry Melcher dies

Associated Press
Posted on Sat, Nov. 20, 2004
HREF="http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisobispo/news/politics/1023388
3.htm"http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/san...olitics/102338
83.htm/A

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Terry Melcher, a record producer and songwriter
who aided the careers of Ry Cooder, the Byrds and the Beach Boys, has
died, his publicist announced Saturday. He was 62.

Melcher, the son of actress Doris Day, died Friday night at his Beverly
Hills home after a long battle with melanoma.

Melcher co-wrote the hit song "Kokomo" for the Beach Boys and performed
on their album "Pet Sounds." The song was used in the movie "Cocktail,"
where it garnered a Golden Globe nomination in 1988 for best original
song.

In the early 1960s, Melcher began singing as a solo act and later paired
with future Beach Boy Bruce Johnston to form the group Bruce & Terry.
The pair had several hits, then went on to form the Rip Chords, which
recorded the 1964 hit "Hey, Little Cobra."

In the mid-1960s, Melcher joined Columbia Records as a producer. Working
with the Byrds, he produced their top-selling version of Bob Dylan's
"Mr. Tambourine Man" and other hits, including "Turn, Turn, Turn."

Melcher also produced hit songs for Paul Revere and the Raiders and
during his career worked with Gram Parsons, the Mamas and the Papas and
Ry Cooder.

He served as the executive producer of his mother's CBS show, "The Doris
Day Show," from 1968 to 1972 and co-produced her mid-1980s show, "Doris
Day's Best Friends."

Melcher also helped run his mother's charitable activities, including
the Doris Day Animal Foundation.

In 1969, his name became linked with the grisly Charles Manson murders.

Melcher once rented the home where Sharon Tate and a group of her
friends were murdered by Manson followers. Rumors circulated that
Melcher, who knew Manson, was the real target because he had turned
Manson down for a record contract.

Los Angeles police discounted the rumors. Melcher had since moved to
Malibu and police established that Manson knew of his new address.

Melcher is survived by his mother, his wife, Terese, and his son Ryan.

Funeral services will be private.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
Bryson

Wow.

I worked with Terry back in '81 when I was at Mike Love's studio in
Santa Barbara (Neve/Studer mobile unit that Zappa later bought). My
first gig with a big time producer (who's work I dug). He was a very
cool, and talented cat.

RIP, Terry.

Make sure you and your kids wear sunscreen.

JWelsh3374 wrote:

[...]

ScotFraser

I worked with Terry back in '81 when I was at Mike Love's studio in
Santa Barbara (Neve/Studer mobile unit that Zappa later bought). BRBR

You must have run into my pal Jeff Peters, then, who was running that rig for a
long time.
Scott Fraser

Bryson

ScotFraser wrote:
I worked with Terry back in '81 when I was at Mike Love's studio in
Santa Barbara (Neve/Studer mobile unit that Zappa later bought). BRBR

You must have run into my pal Jeff Peters, then, who was running that rig for a
long time.
Scott Fraser

It must've been Jeff that got me that gig. I knew him well back
then, but haven't seen him in years. We both had bands goin'in S.B.
at that time, and did some gigs together. He wrote some great tunes
and rocked it up pretty good on stage. Sweet guy that Jeff. He loaned
me a Dumble for a while, and I turned down buying it from him for
$500.....one of my big regrets.

ScotFraser

It must've been Jeff that got me that gig. I knew him well back
then, but haven't seen him in years. BRBR

He & I went to high school together & he got me my first legit studio gig.
After about 20 years doing FOH for the Beachboys, he's now off the road &
running a studio in Glendale called Sonora. Great mixer.

Scott Fraser

rickymix

Melcher co-wrote the hit song "Kokomo" for the Beach Boys

playon wrote;
That's too bad...

Al

Well Al, if you mean that it's too bad Melcher died, then yeah,
absolutely.
But if you're making a snide little comment about his work, then
that's pretty lame. Nothing, I mean nothing, becomes a hit of that
magnitude without having something serious going for it, whether or
not it's your particular cup of tea. It's not one of my favorites
either, but I respect the talent.
If I've misunderstood you, my apologies.
R.N.

Roger W. Norman

Try starting out by reading the words and letting it go at that.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"rickymix" wrote in message
om...
Melcher co-wrote the hit song "Kokomo" for the Beach Boys

playon wrote;
That's too bad...

Al

Well Al, if you mean that it's too bad Melcher died, then yeah,
absolutely.
But if you're making a snide little comment about his work, then
that's pretty lame. Nothing, I mean nothing, becomes a hit of that
magnitude without having something serious going for it, whether or
not it's your particular cup of tea. It's not one of my favorites
either, but I respect the talent.
If I've misunderstood you, my apologies.
R.N.

rickymix

Hi Roger,
If I've read too much into this, again, my apologies. I have
been known to do that! :)
Rick.

"Roger W. Norman" wrote...
Try starting out by reading the words and letting it go at that.

Melcher co-wrote the hit song "Kokomo" for the Beach Boys

playon wrote;
That's too bad...
Al

"rickymix" wrote...