David

Default New speakers for Lexus LX470?

I've installed video systems in a few of the new RX300/RX330 and
LX470/GX470's with the Levinson system. The speakers are supplies
pre-crossed-over signals from the amplifier. If you replace the speakers,
don't worry about crossovers. Most Levinson systems in the 470-series
trucks also have a center channel.

A word of caution: The system is designed around the acoustics of the
vehicle. If you change speakers, you risk making it sound worse.

David
UnderTheDash.com

"Willard Lee" wrote in message
om...
I have a 2001 Lexus LX470 with the Mark Levinson package. The stereo
sounds "OK", but I really like have the 6 CD changer in the HU. What
I was thinking of doing was switching out just the speakers and
leaving the factory HU and Amp, and see what that gets me for
improvements.

There are 6.5 components up front (3 way) and 6.5 coaxs in the rear
doors. I'm looking for recommendations on speakers, knowing that the
factory amp probably doesn't have alot of power. I looked on line at
the focal and dynaudio components and both appear to need alot of
power to drive them. A/D/S doesn't seem so thirsty, but I've heard
from other people that they are. What about the Infinity's? Also,
should I get 3 ways or just replace the tweeter and woofer in the
door?

If anyone has ever just switched out the speakers and are pretty happy
with what they have, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,

Will

David

Well said...

David

"John Durbin" wrote in message
.. .
That's a simplistic perspective albeit one with a lot of truth in it. I
would have said, the upgraded factory system does some things very well
acoustically. It was designed, tested, and perfected by people with access
to far better equipment and far greater experience than a typical
aftermarket stereo shop or DIY can ever match. It probably offers a more
uniform frequency response than 98% or more of all the aftermarket systems
in the world. HOWEVER, it was also tuned for a level of performance in terms
of output level, bass extension, etc. that may be quite different from what
YOU want to hear. If you don't like the way it sounds, or it doesn't do
something you want it to, figure out specifically what you don't like or
what's missing, and then find a dealer knowledgeable enough about tuning
cars to design an improved system that addresses those shortcomings. And,
don't be cheap about it - when you upgrade these premium systems, there's
usually a big hole in the intermediate cost range where you may have
improved a component here or there but not made a big enough difference in
the final system performance to justify the expense and process. $1200 for
instance may not do all that much to make your car sound better to you, and
could sound worse in some areas - like tonal balance and F/R for example.
Replacing a $1200 factory radio with a $400 aftermarket CD tuner may very
well give you the bells and whistles you wanted but sound 100% worse. You
need to have reasonable expectations when you dive into an upgrade like
this, you don't get something for nothing.

JD

David wrote:

[...]

tigermd99

I have heard my brother's LX470 ML system. It's clarity is damn nice!
The ONLY thing it lacks is bass. So, try just adding a subwoofer
(Infinity BassLink, etc.) first before screwing with the other stuff.
--
tigermd99
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=154022