Chris Fonville

Default Need help wiring speakers

This is my first time installing speakers, so I'm new at the whole thing. I
have taken my door panel off and have removed my old factory speakers.
However, the wiring isn't the same (the factory speakers have the
connections right beside each other in an L shape, while my new speakers
have the two metal pieces separated about an inch). How should I go about
wiring the new speakers? Will I have to cut the wire from the black
connector? I don't have anything to solder with, so how would I attache the
wires? Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris

Chris Fonville

Alright, thank you. One more question, I can fit the speaker in, but it
doesn't look like any holes line up for the screws. Will I have to drill
new holes in the plastic? I was tod and have read that my cars speaker size
is 7", so I would need to get 6 3/4" and that 6 1/2" will work. Can I also
pick up something to mount the speaker with? Thanks,
Chris

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message
goto your local best buy or circuit city shop and pick up a speaker

harness.
It will adapt the factory speaker harness to your new speakers, it also
helps with knowing which wire is positive and which is negative. They

only
cost like $5.99 a pair. Bring in your old factory speaker so the guys can
get you the correct harness on your first visit.

"Chris Fonville" wrote in message
This is my first time installing speakers, so I'm new at the whole

thing.
have taken my door panel off and have removed my old factory speakers.
However, the wiring isn't the same (the factory speakers have the
connections right beside each other in an L shape, while my new speakers
have the two metal pieces separated about an inch). How should I go

about
wiring the new speakers? Will I have to cut the wire from the black
connector? I don't have anything to solder with, so how would I attache

the
wires? Thanks in advance for any help,
Chris

Chris Fonville

Well I went to wal-mart and an auto parts store, but neither had a speaker
harness. I have found one on the internet for $7 not including shipping.
That seems pretty expensive when I could just cut the wires, splice them,
and then have someone solder the wires to the new speaker. The nearest best
buy or circuit city is over an hour away and I'm not planning on going for
awhile. Is there another place that I could try? Radioshack? Electronics
Express? Also, since the screws aren't lining up, will I need to get an
adapter? Or should I try to drill new holes? Thanks,
[...]

Marc

If you are willing to solder you might do just as well to solder it
yourself. Soldering iron can be bought for under $10, and solder is
cheap. Usually on new car speakers the two terminals you see are
rectangular - the large one being the + and the small one being the -
(ground). If you don't want to solder to the terminals directly you
can buy spade connectors at Radio Shack, or some place like that and
then use a crimper tool (about $10 again) to crimp the wire onto the
spade connector and then just push the spade connector on to the
speaker terminals (that is what most installation places do). You need
to get the right size spades for the wire (usually 16-18 guage (AWG)
).
The black wire is normally ground (-) and the red is +. If one of the
wires has a white stripe on it, then this is the ground (-).
Don't be afraid.....confidence is everything.

Good luck

[...]

Andy Weaks

mayhemkrew wrote:

Just hope you wired the speakers in phase. If not it'll sound like you are
in a tunnel.

Kinda off the topic, but is it me, or when speakers are out of phase, does
it irritate your ears? Seriously, when I hear cars that customers tried to
and speakers are out of phase, it just, I dunno bothers my ears in some
weird way.

I am VERY sensitive to out of phase speakers. I don't know how many shops I have been to
that have wired some or all their speakers on the board backwards and I can tell within
seconds. I then tell them their speakers out of phase and it usually ****es them off. I
have had arguments with "salespeople" and they insist that there is nothing wrong. But
like I said, my ears are hypersensitive. To me it is a hollow sound, or like something is
missing out of the music. I guess tunnel like kinds also describes it. Just moving my head
back and forth will confirm it. I do have some trouble hearing if my subs are out of phase
with the fronts. It usually isn't as pronounced but after a little bit of listening it
does become obvious.

Maybe some people don't notice it as much as others.

Chris Fonville

I'm 100% sure that both speakers were wired to the same cord, however
picking the two was just an educated guess. There were two wires, one was
black, the other was black w/ a white strip. I used the wire with the white
strip as the negative and attached it to the bigger connector on the
speaker. I wired the other side the same way. The speakers sound good (I'm
guessing as good as a fairly cheap, $44, pair of speakers are going to get).
However, I've never heard car speakers out of phase that I know of (I've
heard my home theater speakers out of phase when testing them). Here's
another question:
On the box the speakers are advertised at 150 watts, but I'm guessing that's
for both (75 a piece). My cd player has "40w x 4" on the front of it (it's
a custom player, but I didn't install it, it was there when I bought the
car, with no instructions). I have 6 speakers in the car (2 4" in the dash,
2 7" in the door, which I just replaced, and 2 7" in the back). Does this
mean that each speaker is getting less than 40 watts, so I could crank the
cd player as loud as it can go and still not screw up my new speakers?
Thanks,
Chris

"mayhemkrew" wrote in message
. net...
If you wire one speaker one way, and the other speaker the opposite way,

the
speakers cancel each other out, giving you virtually no bass. I guess my
intent on saying that was, how did you find out which wire was in fact
postive from the Head Unit?

"Chris Fonville" wrote in message
Umm, I have no idea what you mean. As far as I can tell it doesn't

sound
like I'm in a tunnel. Could you explain what wiring it in phase means?

I'm
new. Thanks,

Just hope you wired the speakers in phase. If not it'll sound like

you
are
in a tunnel.

Kinda off the topic, but is it me, or when speakers are out of phase,

does
it irritate your ears? Seriously, when I hear cars that customers

tried
and speakers are out of phase, it just, I dunno bothers my ears in

some
weird way.

"Chris Fonville" wrote in message
Thanks, I put them in today. I went down to my local auto parts

store
(very
rural area) and the guy recommended that I just slit the wires and

use
electrical tape to attach the speaker wire to the car wiring. I

didn't
think this was the best idea, but I decided I would go ahead and do

it
anyway. I also had to drill the holes in the plastic for the

speaker
line-up. So it's working now, but I think I did it the least

recommended
way, so I hope it holds up. Thanks,
Chris

"Marc" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Daniel Snooks

Chris Fonville wrote
Well is 40 x 4 for 6 speakers good?

Maybe.

The 40W rating is considered a Maximum and should not be used to decide how
loud things will get, how high you can set the volume without clipping, nor
how many speakers you can run 'properly'. If you listen to your system right
now and are satisfied with the quality/quantity of music it gives you, then
smile and enjoy. If you feel something is lacking, let us know, and we will
try our best to explain how you can go about improving that area.

Or should I consider getting a new cd
player?

That's entirely up to you. Given the cheap issue with getting another one, I
can't imagine that you will see any improvements even if it claims to have
more power (ie. 50W x 4)

I'd like to have one that plays MP3s anyway, if I could find one
cheap.
Chris

Perhaps something used? That would help keep the price down.