EBG

Default Used Yamaha receiver

I'm upgrading my pro-logic antique and was wondering what would be a good
choice in some of the used Yamaha rcvrs I see on Ebay....I see alot of
numbers from 100 bucks on up like HTR-5230,5630,5640,5450 etc.

Here's all I want....

**A good basic 5.1 system with a reasonably up to date processor.

**I don't need a silly amount of "sound fields" or uneccesary features...I
don't like "clutter"....on the rcvr or the remote.

**I plan on putting in my own preamp output for the 2 front channels to
drive a high quality amp for music/5.1 fronts.

**Don't need much as far as digital in's...I'll just use the rcvr 5.1
processor and analog in for CD.

What's the best for the money with these used Yamaha's
(or?) ?

Is the **30 series more dated than the **40 series?

Mark D. Zacharias

Generally speaking, the 30 series preceeded the 40 series which preceeded
the 50 series and so forth. Can't tell you if there's any exceptions.

They're all 70 or 80 watts per channel and use discrete outputs, unlike
their new small and mid-size models.

Yamaha has had a few problems with their DSP chips, but I can't tell you
which ones, if any were less prone to this.

Bottom line, these are all pretty good receivers, better on average than
their competition. I would certainly prefer a Yamaha to most.

Mark Z.

(Authorized service for Yamaha, Denon, Sony, Pioneer, NAD, Marantz)

"EBG" wrote in message
I'm upgrading my pro-logic antique and was wondering what would be a good
choice in some of the used Yamaha rcvrs I see on Ebay....I see alot of
numbers from 100 bucks on up like HTR-5230,5630,5640,5450 etc.

Here's all I want....

**A good basic 5.1 system with a reasonably up to date processor.

**I don't need a silly amount of "sound fields" or uneccesary features...I
don't like "clutter"....on the rcvr or the remote.

**I plan on putting in my own preamp output for the 2 front channels to
drive a high quality amp for music/5.1 fronts.

**Don't need much as far as digital in's...I'll just use the rcvr 5.1
processor and analog in for CD.

What's the best for the money with these used Yamaha's
(or?) ?

Is the **30 series more dated than the **40 series?

EBG

Thanks Mark....I'm going to keep an eye out for a good buy in a 40 series
then.

Probably very little difference between "then and now".

Alot of this stuff isn't redesigned every year except for cosmetics and
"features".

Steven Sullivan

In alt.home-theater.misc EBG wrote:
I'm upgrading my pro-logic antique and was wondering what would be a good
choice in some of the used Yamaha rcvrs I see on Ebay....I see alot of
numbers from 100 bucks on up like HTR-5230,5630,5640,5450 etc.

Here's all I want....

**A good basic 5.1 system with a reasonably up to date processor.

**I don't need a silly amount of "sound fields" or uneccesary features...I
don't like "clutter"....on the rcvr or the remote.

You almost can't help getting DSP 'room emulations' on a Yamaha HT
receiver -- they're pretty much standard in models from the last several
years. You can ignore them. Just make sure you get DPL II. One nice
thing about Yamaha's implementation of DPL II is that they include the
full user-tweakable set of options for the 'Music' setting -- e.g.
Panorama, Center Width, and Dimension. I have a Harman-Kardon that's more
powerful, feature-laden, and expensive than my HT-5450, but doesn't allow
parameter adjustment of DPL II. That's annoying.

**I plan on putting in my own preamp output for the 2 front channels to
drive a high quality amp for music/5.1 fronts.

Seems like overkill to me. If you level match the Yammy to your 'high
quality' amp, I'd wager there's no audible difference when they're both
operating under their clipping thresholds. Unless you're going to need
extra wattage, why complicate things?

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --

Steven Sullivan

In alt.home-theater.misc EBG wrote:
Thanks Mark....I'm going to keep an eye out for a good buy in a 40 series
then.

Probably very little difference between "then and now".

Alot of this stuff isn't redesigned every year except for cosmetics and
"features".

IMO the most important new feature on recent Yammaha HT receivers is their
YPAO room optimization tool.

--

-S.
Why don't you just admit that you hate music and leave people alone. --
spiffy

Receiver for paradigm speakers [email protected] General 1 June 19th 04 02:29 AM
Subwoofer hum: is it my receiver? Brian General 15 February 20th 04 09:11 PM
Bose receiver broken and need alternate. Bill S. General 7 February 5th 04 11:31 AM
Yamaha R-3 Bux General 3 February 3rd 04 01:48 PM
What brand of low end receiver to go with (Yamaha, Sony, etc) MarkW General 1 September 15th 03 12:10 PM