James

Default Finale message mus files

After having installed Finale, I get the following window:

"Extension MUS is already registered as 'MUSFILE'. Do you want to register
this file type with Finale as 'FileBinary' instead?"

What is this all about and what should I tell it?

Brad Beyenhof

James wrote:
After having installed Finale, I get the following window:

"Extension MUS is already registered as 'MUSFILE'. Do you want to register
this file type with Finale as 'FileBinary' instead?"

What is this all about and what should I tell it?

Did you have Encore (or an earlier version of Finale) installed before
installing Finale?

Encore and Finale both use the extension ".mus" at the end of filenames.
Windows can only associate files with the programs that created them
by using this three-character extension. If you tell it "yes," all
files with a .mus extension will attempt to open up in Finale when
double-clicked.

A quick-and-dirty way to make Windows differentiate between the
different versions of Finale and/or Encore is to, for example, save old
Finale files from version 2001 with the extension .m01. Windows won't
know what to do with that file when you double-click it, but a window
will come up asking what program to use with "M01" files. You can find
Finale 2001 and tell it to "always open with this program," and then
you've created an association between the extension and the program.

"MUS" is also a fairly underused extension used for audio files. It's
possible that an audio player registered that extension without you
knowing. If you never use files with a ".mus" extension except within
Finale, it is safe (and preferable) to allow Finale to register MUS
files as FinaleBinary.

--
Brad Beyenhof

alabaster

As an addendum to what Brad told you, I would recommend doing a search on
all your hard drives for .mus files. If you recognize that they're all
scores you've created in Finale (or demo scores that came with Finale,
scores you've downloaded, etc.), then go ahead and make the association.

If you notice that there are a great deal of .mus files that you don't
recognize, then try to find out what they are (what directory are they in,
what happens when you double click them, etc.) Try right-clicking the files
and choose "properties" -- this will tell you what's supposed to open the
file. Try opening them in Notepad or Wordpad (it will most likely be
jibberish) to see if there are any passages of text that clue you in as to
what the file is. Try opening them within Finale to check--maybe they are
scores after all, demo or tutorial files that you didn't know existed.

If it's clear that they're from a program that you've never used, then it's
probably ok to make the association to Finale. But try to figure out what
they're for in the first place, because if you ever need those files you're
going to have to open them within their program (double clicking them will
attempt to load them in finale).

chris.

"Brad Beyenhof" wrote in message
. com...
James wrote:
[...]

Dr.Matt

Just to make life exciting: If you've got a mac, ambiguous file extensions
can be arbitrated using a hidden field called "creator", so they'll be
opened by the program which wrote them.

--
Matthew H. Fields http://personal.www.umich.edu/~fields
Music: Splendor in Sound