Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Default Update: 'Juke' project ( Pics)

PanHandler wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

You'll be surprised how quiet it'll be outside.

I had the outfit there last weekend, but it poured all day and with the wind
and rain it was too noisy and wet to spend much time with it. The few
minutes it ran, it seemed OK in terms of SPL.

Outdoors the SPL drops off very fast at any distance fom the speakers.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

GregS wrote:

In article , Pooh Bear wrote:

"Mr.T" wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
My next experiment will be to parallel a couple good batteries and see
what
it's really made of.

Since that won't increase the voltage it will accomplish very litle.

Since it will increase the *current* it ought to accomplish something, no?

If the present battery can't supply sufficient current, yes.

Since car batteries are good for 100s of amps whilst cranking, I think the
advantage of 2 in parallel will be limited.

Having more battery gives longer life since a lower discharge rate
has a higher return efficiency. Its also easier on the battery supporting longer life.

Perfectly true but I don't see it resulting in more power output.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
PanHandler wrote:
"Pooh Bear" wrote ...

You'll be surprised how quiet it'll be outside.

I had the outfit there last weekend, but it poured all day and with the
wind
and rain it was too noisy and wet to spend much time with it. The few
minutes it ran, it seemed OK in terms of SPL.

Outdoors the SPL drops off very fast at any distance fom the speakers.

The inverse-square law is uniform inside and outside, is it not?
Perhaps the difference we percieve is that there are virtually NO
reinforcing reflections (from walls, ceilings, etc.) when outdoors.

Only reflections I recall from outdoors are nasty slap-echoes
from mid-distant buildings when you don't want them. :-(

OTOH, when they blast fireworks over the Willamette river
through the middle of PDX, the slap echoes from the downtown
buildings is pretty entertaining! :-)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote ...
PanHandler wrote:
"Pooh Bear" wrote ...

You'll be surprised how quiet it'll be outside.

I had the outfit there last weekend, but it poured all day and with the
wind
and rain it was too noisy and wet to spend much time with it. The few
minutes it ran, it seemed OK in terms of SPL.

Outdoors the SPL drops off very fast at any distance fom the speakers.

The inverse-square law is uniform inside and outside, is it not?
Perhaps the difference we percieve is that there are virtually NO
reinforcing reflections (from walls, ceilings, etc.) when outdoors.

Indoors, you the SPL doesn't drop off that fast due indeed to reflections ( or
call it ambience if you like ). Also consider the smaller volume that's
involved.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , Pooh Bear wrote:

PanHandler wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

When it's on the power supply do you see the output voltage drop when it's
loud

Good morning Graham. I don't see any wavering on the PS volt meter, which I
set at 13.8 V. I'm not an electronics whiz, but I'd *ass*umed the PS would
maintain the setting; otherwise why provide for adjustment?

It would drop if you drew more than it's 35 Amps though. It would 'run out of
regulation'. Since that's not happening you can be sure that the DC input power
does not exceed 483 W. Using a typical figure for Class B efficiency that
transaltes to 300W peak of audio output.

You really don't know wht the spec is. Its 35 amps so it
does not burn up. And then there should also be a peak amps
capability which is not the same as its max rating. There
is also a continuous rating which is a safe heating value.

greg

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , Pooh Bear wrote:

PanHandler wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

You'll be surprised how quiet it'll be outside.

I had the outfit there last weekend, but it poured all day and with the wind
and rain it was too noisy and wet to spend much time with it. The few
minutes it ran, it seemed OK in terms of SPL.

Outdoors the SPL drops off very fast at any distance fom the speakers.

Very true, allthough most of the time your next to a building which reinforces.
At a picnic, I try to place the speakers a good distance away from most
of the people, so loudness does not vary as much as if the speakers were right
near some people.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , Pooh Bear wrote:

GregS wrote:

In article , Pooh Bear

wrote:

"Mr.T" wrote:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
My next experiment will be to parallel a couple good batteries and see
what
it's really made of.

Since that won't increase the voltage it will accomplish very litle.

Since it will increase the *current* it ought to accomplish something,

no?

If the present battery can't supply sufficient current, yes.

Since car batteries are good for 100s of amps whilst cranking, I think the
advantage of 2 in parallel will be limited.

Having more battery gives longer life since a lower discharge rate
has a higher return efficiency. Its also easier on the battery supporting

longer life.

Perfectly true but I don't see it resulting in more power output.

If the battery is dead, its going to matter!!

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Outdoors the SPL drops off very fast at any distance fom the speakers.

I noticed that; 10-15 feet made a good difference. Not much reflectivity.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

PanHandler wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
Outdoors the SPL drops off very fast at any distance fom the speakers.

I noticed that; 10-15 feet made a good difference. Not much reflectivity.

Exactly. You got it.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

GregS wrote:

At a picnic, I try to place the speakers a good distance away from most
of the people, so loudness does not vary as much as if the speakers were right
near some people.

I can't make any sense of that I'm afraid. Why does being " away from most of the people " make any
difference ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

GregS wrote:

In article , Pooh Bear wrote:

PanHandler wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

When it's on the power supply do you see the output voltage drop when it's
loud

Good morning Graham. I don't see any wavering on the PS volt meter, which I
set at 13.8 V. I'm not an electronics whiz, but I'd *ass*umed the PS would
maintain the setting; otherwise why provide for adjustment?

It would drop if you drew more than it's 35 Amps though. It would 'run out of
regulation'. Since that's not happening you can be sure that the DC input power
does not exceed 483 W. Using a typical figure for Class B efficiency that
transaltes to 300W peak of audio output.

You really don't know wht the spec is.

I'm going by what's been posted here.

Its 35 amps so it does not burn up. And then there should also be a peak amps
capability which is not the same as its max rating.

On what basis do you say that ? " Quote You really don't know wht the spec is " Unquote

There is also a continuous rating which is a safe heating value.

That's how a safe value is established, yes.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Exactly. You got it.

I'm getting a lot out of this thread too. Quite edifying. It's restoring
many things I had forgotten over the years. I've been messing with audio for
more years than care to quote (can you say 'Sears Silvertone'?). A really
good friend of 40 years passed away recently; an electronics engineer for
Lockheed Magnetics, specializing in audio, and I used to rely on him for
advice. I sure miss him.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

PanHandler wrote:

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

Exactly. You got it.

I'm getting a lot out of this thread too.

I'm pleased to hear that. Every so often you can pick up some really useful info
on newsgroups.

Quite edifying. It's restoring
many things I had forgotten over the years. I've been messing with audio for
more years than care to quote (can you say 'Sears Silvertone'?).

Doesn't mean anything to me I'm afraid but I'm in the UK.

A really
good friend of 40 years passed away recently; an electronics engineer for
Lockheed Magnetics, specializing in audio, and I used to rely on him for
advice. I sure miss him.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Pooh Bear spake thus:

PanHandler wrote:

Quite edifying. It's restoring many things I had forgotten over the
years. I've been messing with audio for more years than care to
quote (can you say 'Sears Silvertone'?).

Doesn't mean anything to me I'm afraid but I'm in the UK.

Just FYI: Surely you know who Sears Roebuck was, even if you're over
there, right? Silvertone was their house brand; mostly crappola, but
adequate for the average slob. They had a full line of audio stuff
(record players, radios, even tape recorders, I think), plus guitar
amps. Not great stuff.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Pooh Bear spake thus:

PanHandler wrote:

Quite edifying. It's restoring many things I had forgotten over the
years. I've been messing with audio for more years than care to
quote (can you say 'Sears Silvertone'?).

Doesn't mean anything to me I'm afraid but I'm in the UK.

Just FYI: Surely you know who Sears Roebuck was, even if you're over
there, right?

Ummm... No !

Silvertone was their house brand; mostly crappola, but
adequate for the average slob. They had a full line of audio stuff
(record players, radios, even tape recorders, I think), plus guitar
amps. Not great stuff.

Have you heard of Ekco or Pye ?

Graham

p.s. both companies were involved in the early days of radar too

Posted to rec.audio.tech
David Nebenzahl

Pooh Bear spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Just FYI: Surely you know who Sears Roebuck was, even if you're over
there, right?

Ummm... No !

Have you heard of Ekco or Pye ?

The only Ekco I know of is a company over here that used to make kitchen
gadgets and cutlery. Pye? nope.

But I'm surprised you don't know about Sears. For decades it was the
U.S.'s biggest retailer, with a huge mail-order catalog you could get
anything from. (I think in the old days you could actually buy
ready-to-assemble houses from them.)

I mean, over here, we've even heard of Jessops.

--
Any system of knowledge that is capable of listing films in order
of use of the word "****" is incapable of writing a good summary
and analysis of the Philippine-American War. And vice-versa.
This is an inviolable rule.

- Matthew White, referring to Wikipedia on his WikiWatch site
(http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Pooh Bear

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Pooh Bear spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Just FYI: Surely you know who Sears Roebuck was, even if you're over there,

right?

Ummm... No !

Have you heard of Ekco or Pye ?

The only Ekco I know of is a company over here that used to make kitchen
gadgets

It was from the company owner's name E K Cole. They made radios, TVs and audio a
long, long time ago.

and cutlery. Pye? nope.

Got absorbed into Philips ultimately. Similar product portfolio to Ekco.

But I'm surprised you don't know about Sears.

I've heard of Sears but not Roebuck.

For decades it was the U.S.'s biggest retailer, with a huge mail-order catalog
you could get anything from. (I think in the old days you could actually buy
ready-to-assemble houses from them.)

But no presence whatever in the UK. OTOH we have Woolworths here.

I mean, over here, we've even heard of Jessops.

The camera shop ? They are very international now. I recall when they just had
one outlet in a big warehouse in Leicester. Some companies ever trade as clones
of Jessops with more or less identical shops but with no connection to the real
Jessops.

Heard of Tesco btw ? The town I live in has the first ever supermarket in the UK
( a Tesco ) and it's now a 'listed building'.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tech
PanHandler

Just FYI: Surely you know who Sears Roebuck was, even if you're over there,
right? Silvertone was their house brand; mostly crappola, but adequate for
the average slob. They had a full line of audio stuff (record players,
radios, even tape recorders, I think), plus guitar amps. Not great stuff.

My first foray into stereo was in '59 I believe. My parents gave me a
Silvertone reel-to-reel deck/player. It would record in mono, and play back
pre-recorded stereo reels, but with a catch: one channel output consisted
only of a preamp - you needed another amp to hear it. The friend I
mentioned earlier had one, and we were off to the races. Ping pong effect
was the clincher for us. We seperated the speakers as far as we could,
probably 20 feet. After all, it was in STEREO! We don't appreciate how well
off we are now!

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , Pooh Bear wrote:

GregS wrote:

At a picnic, I try to place the speakers a good distance away from most
of the people, so loudness does not vary as much as if the speakers were

right
near some people.

I can't make any sense of that I'm afraid. Why does being " away from most of
the people " make any
difference ?

Its like when DJ'ing, people sit down next to the speaker, then say its TOO LOUD.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Jeff Findley

"GregS" wrote in message
You really don't know wht the spec is. Its 35 amps so it
does not burn up. And then there should also be a peak amps
capability which is not the same as its max rating. There
is also a continuous rating which is a safe heating value.

And if you stick one of those really big "stiffening" capacitors between the
supply and the amp, the amp will then be able to draw large peak currents
without stressing the capacitors in the power supply quite as much.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.tech
GregS

In article , "Jeff Findley" wrote:

"GregS" wrote in message
You really don't know wht the spec is. Its 35 amps so it
does not burn up. And then there should also be a peak amps
capability which is not the same as its max rating. There
is also a continuous rating which is a safe heating value.

And if you stick one of those really big "stiffening" capacitors between the
supply and the amp, the amp will then be able to draw large peak currents
without stressing the capacitors in the power supply quite as much.

That usually works as well as using a battery. Some power supplies
might not stand reverse flow, but most can. Some supplies cannot
supply heavy peak currents without tripping a crowbar type shutdown.
I have problems powering lamps with DC regulated power supplies,
as the lamps high cold current shuts off the supply. I have
had to make modification to some supplies for this reason. Its
not redily apparent from reading supply specs as to its
behavior.

greg