StewieGriffin

Default Heil Ohmega 400 transistors

I need replacement output and output driver transistors for a Heil Ohmega
400 power amp (1970's).
The company no longer has stock, but I spoke with Bob Heil, and he said he
has seen discussions on this amp in this NG. The part #s are proprietary,
and he knows of no cross.
Has anyone repaired this amp?

Bob Urz

StewieGriffin wrote:
I need replacement output and output driver transistors for a Heil Ohmega
400 power amp (1970's).
The company no longer has stock, but I spoke with Bob Heil, and he said he
has seen discussions on this amp in this NG. The part #s are proprietary,
and he knows of no cross.
Has anyone repaired this amp?

Are any of the old transistors good? If so, you may be able to reverse
engineer the spec. If you have a schematic you can make some
assumptions. What's the output topology? What's the rail voltages? Take
the old good devices and use a transistor checker to determine HFE. With
the HFE and the supply rail voltages, you should be in the ballpark spec
wise to find something usable. Post what you know.

Bob

Arny Krueger

"StewieGriffin" wrote in message

I need replacement output and output driver transistors for a Heil
Ohmega 400 power amp (1970's).
The company no longer has stock, but I spoke with Bob Heil, and he
said he has seen discussions on this amp in this NG. The part #s
are proprietary, and he knows of no cross.
Has anyone repaired this amp?

Here's an independent opinion in the matter:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...s.teranews.com

Isaac Wingfield

In article ,
Bob Urz wrote:

StewieGriffin wrote:
I need replacement output and output driver transistors for a Heil Ohmega
400 power amp (1970's).
The company no longer has stock, but I spoke with Bob Heil, and he said he
has seen discussions on this amp in this NG. The part #s are proprietary,
and he knows of no cross.
Has anyone repaired this amp?

Are any of the old transistors good? If so, you may be able to reverse
engineer the spec. If you have a schematic you can make some
assumptions. What's the output topology? What's the rail voltages? Take
the old good devices and use a transistor checker to determine HFE. With
the HFE and the supply rail voltages, you should be in the ballpark spec
wise to find something usable. Post what you know.

Matching (or exceeding) the original device's HFE isn't enough.

I have seen instances where new (superior) transistors were unstable and
oscillated at high frequency where "originals" did not. The problem is
that new devices frequently have decent gain at a far higher frequency
than older ones. Sometimes the oscillation occurs only when the devices
are being driven with (perfectly ordinary) signals.

I would recommend some careful o'scope work whenever "better" devices
are substituted, but I'd be pretty certain that new devices could be
made to operate in the amplifier somehow.

Isaac

Bob Urz

Isaac Wingfield wrote:

In article ,
Bob Urz wrote:

StewieGriffin wrote:

[...]

True, there is no one step sliver bullet. And many older power
transistors were not known for there exceptional specs.
Scoping the outputs and looking for the oscillation or modulation
on the waveforms is a good idea. Some capacitors may have to be added
to the drivers or such to "slow down" a replacement if that's the case.

Considering the option is a "NO FIX", i think it worth a shot.
The worst case scenario is trying to source some germanium transistors.
Now that's a snipe hunt.

Bob

Sam Byrams

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...

(snip)

Here's an independent opinion in the matter:

And that is worth giving him better than your saying about a man that you
couldn't hold his channel marking tape.

Now you are being really ignorant. I have done sound for over twice

as long
as Heil did. He still operates Heil sound- selling low-fi mikes at Ham
radio
fests. He got out of Pro audio cause the competion was too stiff.

If you want to credit him with assembling info and printing it OK. But
the
hero worship only shows up how much you don't know. I knew Heil and
half a
dozen people who worked for him. Most of them moved on as quick as
they
could.

If you really want to see what a hack he was take a look at the Ohmega
amps
he built. Utter trash as was most of his gear.

How good an amp the Ohmega is/was isn't the question here, so this
isn't too ****in' helpful!

I've known Bob Heil for years. No, he's not Rupert Neve. But
musicians want stuff that's crappy for all kinds of reasons, nostalgia
and image and virtual penis size along with "they want that sound". If
the guy wants to fix an Ohmega, more power to him. There has flatly
got to be a device (or, N and P devices) in the correct package that
will work. Be fun to figure it out.

TonyP

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
The worst case scenario is trying to source some germanium transistors.
Now that's a snipe hunt.

A 400W power amp with germanium output transistors, do you know of any?

TonyP.

Bob Urz

TonyP wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

The worst case scenario is trying to source some germanium transistors.
Now that's a snipe hunt.

A 400W power amp with germanium output transistors, do you know of any?

TonyP.

Did i say OUTPUTS? Some earlier Phase linear amps used a germanium
transistor in its pre driver stages as i recall. They also used some
****ty slow Delco To-3 outputs in some models.
It all comes down to ID'ing the parts.

Bob

Bob Urz wrote:

TonyP wrote:

"Bob Urz" wrote in message

The worst case scenario is trying to source some germanium transistors.
Now that's a snipe hunt.

A 400W power amp with germanium output transistors, do you know of any?

TonyP.

Did i say OUTPUTS? Some earlier Phase linear amps used a germanium
transistor in its pre driver stages as i recall. They also used some
****ty slow Delco To-3 outputs in some models.
It all comes down to ID'ing the parts.

At the time, those triple diffused NPN's were considered quite fast.

TonyP

"Bob Urz" wrote in message
TonyP wrote:
A 400W power amp with germanium output transistors, do you know of any?
TonyP.

Did i say OUTPUTS?

The OP did IIRC.

TonyP.

Karl Uppiano

Default Silicon vs. Germanium (was Heil Omega 400 transistors)

I wonder what it was that made silicon win out over germanium in solid state
technology. Back in the '60s, we used to see a lot of germanium transistors.
Germanium has a lower p-n drop (0.2 volts vs. 0.6 for silicon) which could
theoretically reduce power dissipation. In the late '70s and early '80s,
there was a rectifier company that was making germanium rectifiers for power
supplies because they were more efficient.

So, what are the properties of silicon that make it superior to germanium?
Easier to fabricate?
More reliable?
Higher power/current capability?
Less temperature sensitive?
cheaper/more plentiful?

Dave Platt

In article ,
Karl Uppiano wrote:

I wonder what it was that made silicon win out over germanium in solid state
technology. Back in the '60s, we used to see a lot of germanium transistors.
Germanium has a lower p-n drop (0.2 volts vs. 0.6 for silicon) which could
theoretically reduce power dissipation. In the late '70s and early '80s,
there was a rectifier company that was making germanium rectifiers for power
supplies because they were more efficient.

So, what are the properties of silicon that make it superior to germanium?
Easier to fabricate?
More reliable?
Higher power/current capability?
Less temperature sensitive?
cheaper/more plentiful?

http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/company/...oduction.shtml
gives one look at the question - it's a 1954 press release about
silicon transistors.

"Higher power", "less temperature-sensitive", and "cheaper" seem to be
the high points. I believe that "more reliable", "lower reverse
leakage" and "capable of operating at higher voltages" also come into
it.

These days, the popular solutions for rectifiers requiring low forward
voltage drop seems to be to use either Schottky diodes (roughly half
the forward drop of grown-junction silicon, I believe), or synchronous
switched rectification using MOSFETs or IGBTs.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

From: StewieGriffin
Newsgroups: rec.audio.tech

I need replacement output and output driver transistors for a Heil Ohmega
400 power amp (1970's).
The company no longer has stock, but I spoke with Bob Heil, and he said he
has seen discussions on this amp in this NG. The part #s are proprietary,
and he knows of no cross.
Has anyone repaired this amp?

I think Bob Urz was the first mention of germanium transistors in
particular.

Just a note: i cannot say that this amp has or uses germanium
transistors. I just remember trying to source them to fix some earlier
high power Phase linears of a similar vintage. So, its just something
to look out for. Especially since no one seems to have any information
on this amp. And the Phase amps used them as a bias transistor or such,
not outputs. I do remember some early to mid 60's hi-fi amps
that had some though. As i recall, the output devices were relatively
leaky and did not have a high voltage breakdown. Of course that was 60's
fabrication and technology.

Bob