Chris Hornbeck

Default Lip syncing and Miming on Leno...

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:51:43 -0600, "Lee K."
wrote:

Was just watching the end of Jay Leno and some guy named Mario, who
supposedly has the #1 song in the country, was obviously lip syncing about
3/4 of the song until it got to the "vocal acrobatics" jamming part toward
the end.

Also, it was VERY obvious the entire band and background singers

I saw it, and thought that the "impression" was well done. Obviously
nobody can croon and dance simultaneously. We're in a transition time
where verbatim reproduction and simulation overlap; bound to be
some discussion about permissability.

One of our best cultural conservatives has recently said
"The whole audio business is snake oil. You're making people think
there is an orchestra behind those two black boxes, when there really
isn't any such thing. There's some pride in that."

IOW, my ideological agreement with you is fading lately.

FWIW, and thanks, and .....

Chris Hornbeck
"They'd meet at the Tout Va Bien, a cafe just off the highway."
-JLG, _Bande a part_, 1964
Joe Sensor

Chris Hornbeck wrote:

IOW, my ideological agreement with you is fading lately.

It shouldn't be. The worst part of all this is they are replacing
talented people with fakes for their look and dance moves. In the
process, good, creative, and imaginative music is getting more and more
scarce.
-MIKE-

I think the expectation that the performance must match the CD is
too great, and the artists and their management don't want to
wedge their CD sales.

That's going to backfire on them, real quick. And I remember the
days when live shows did sound like the recording. Managers are too
worried about how the looks than how they sound.

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

I have always ascribed to the same philosophy the Allman Brothers Band
allways had and that is "Do only in the studio what you can do live."
(paraphrased).

I don't have a problem with studio technology, but I think that bands
should record as bands and not a public figure backed by studio
musicians singing songs selected by producers from a cadre of
commercial songwriters.

I seem to recall a time when The Eagles during an early tour were
criticized by the media for SOUNDING TOO MUCH like their album (LP in those
days). People could sit at home and listen to the album but wanted something
a little different, a little extra, a little something special at a live
concert.

I heard Alison Krauss' band on Morning Edition yesterday. One thing
that struck me (and I suppose that it really shouldn't have) was that
one of the members said that when they go on tour, they never change
their set list from show to show - always the same songs, the same
tempo, the same order, just as they rehearsed it. He conceded that to
those in the audience who may have seen more than one show of the tour
it would sound like the same thing, but to the band, because they're
so familiar with the songs, they themselves get off on the subtle
differences among each performance.

But thinking back, most bluegrass bands going back 50 years did the
same songs each show. The order may change, the patter between songs
may change (but the jokes rarely did), and occasionally a new song
would be introduced, usually with the addition of a new band member.
But I don't think that Bill Monroe ever did a show without singing
Mule Skinner Blues (after he recorded it, of course).

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Nathan West

"Lee K." wrote:

Didn't the recording industry learn anything from Milli Vanilli...?

Yes they did. You remember they went as far as winning a grammy prior to the
downfall. It's obvious what the industry learned from that.

--
Nathan

"Imagine if there were no Hypothetical Situations"

Joe Sensor

howldog wrote:

these people arent interested in musicians, they are interested in
PERFORMERS. Theres a difference.

Some people are both.
Pat McDonald

In article , Frisco
wrote:

I think there'll always be a audience for the "make it sound like the
album" bands out there. There's a local cover band in my area that
play current radio-play songs, they play them EXACTLY like the
original artist NOTE FOR NOTE, and they're the most popular club act
in the area.

A whole pile of the Nashville acts have this same philosophy and it's a
drag IMHO.

Around here on most gigs, you get hired to copy what the session guys
did. Some are a LITTLE flexible about it but the majority (especially
the chick acts) are militant about it. They don't care about your own
musical contributions, they want someone who can play well enough to be
a verbatim copycat. You sit in the back with a black shirt on and
try to be invisible so your presence doesn't detract from the
glittering diva out front. I've done them and they're not my
favorite. I got paid well but musically I was uninspired.

I have a close buddy who auditioned for a big money, very well known
Nashville female artist a few years ago. He learned the stuff and
played for them. They dug him and called him back but said "We need
you to get a little closer to the record parts." So he went back and
spent some time getting them parts closer to the album. After his
callback they said "Yeah, that's great but we really need you to do it
JUST LIKE THE RECORD." He told them thanks but no thanks and walked.
I understand his position.

My gig is different in that Charlie doesn't use session guys on his
records. I play on them and I'm free to do whatever I feel. Our
shows are pretty similar thru the year in set arrangement, between song
patter and song arrangements as well. But what I do WITHIN the songs
is up to me. I change up fills and solo ideas nightly. It keeps
it relatively fresh and helps keep us all focused on what we're
playing. Those copycat gigs can easily slip into auto-pilot mode
after on a few shows.

Pat
Blind Joni

I heard Alison Krauss' band on Morning Edition yesterday. One thing
that struck me (and I suppose that it really shouldn't have) was that
one of the members said that when they go on tour, they never change
their set list from show to show - always the same songs, the same
tempo, the same order, just as they rehearsed it.

This is true for many touring bands..they don't have time to change things
around on the road and the show flow stays the same.

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

-MIKE-

I remember seeing the Beatles in '64.

Yeah, Bernard Purdie did a great job, that night. :-)

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

William C.

Watching American Bandstand as a kiddie in the late 50s, lip sync was the
order of the day. I didn't know any better....
60s, and live performances on tv started to pop through here and there....
70s and Midnight Special, and yes indeedy, playing it real, real nice....

What's going on now is kin to a pilgrim's progress stopover at Vanity
Fair.... and not so Fair.... as well as not so fair for so many actual
musicians....
But as we all know.... Life is not so fair...

God knows, I miss the Yesterday Abundance of actual Honky Tonks, roots music
of a variety of ilks, to play in.

These days, Slim Pickens.... has anybody used his name for a band?

Lee K.

William, you are talking about two different kinds of shows. American
Bandstand was ALWAYS tracked and they made no secret or apologies about
that. Whereas, Leno, Letterman, Conan, SNL and most other late night shows
have always prided themselves on live performances.

Lee

"William C." wrote in message
Watching American Bandstand as a kiddie in the late 50s, lip sync was the
order of the day. I didn't know any better....
60s, and live performances on tv started to pop through here and there....
70s and Midnight Special, and yes indeedy, playing it real, real nice....

What's going on now is kin to a pilgrim's progress stopover at Vanity
Fair.... and not so Fair.... as well as not so fair for so many actual
musicians....
But as we all know.... Life is not so fair...

God knows, I miss the Yesterday Abundance of actual Honky Tonks, roots
music
of a variety of ilks, to play in.

These days, Slim Pickens.... has anybody used his name for a band?

Rev. Poindexter

In article znr1105100257k@trad, Mike Rivers
wrote:

I don't have a problem with studio technology, but I think that bands
should record as bands and not a public figure backed by studio
musicians singing songs selected by producers from a cadre of
commercial songwriters.

That's the way it's always been. The producers routinely decide who
what when where and how something will be put on an album. Especially
if it's a "new" act.

Bands that have control over what's released are the exception, not the
rule.

RP

William C.

"Lee K." wrote in message
William, you are talking about two different kinds of shows. American
Bandstand was ALWAYS tracked and they made no secret or apologies about
that. Whereas, Leno, Letterman, Conan, SNL and most other late night

shows
have always prided themselves on live performances.

Lee

Yeah, it's to hell in a handbag.

"William C." wrote in message
Watching American Bandstand as a kiddie in the late 50s, lip sync was

the
order of the day. I didn't know any better....
60s, and live performances on tv started to pop through here and

there....
70s and Midnight Special, and yes indeedy, playing it real, real

nice....

What's going on now is kin to a pilgrim's progress stopover at Vanity
Fair.... and not so Fair.... as well as not so fair for so many actual
musicians....
But as we all know.... Life is not so fair...

God knows, I miss the Yesterday Abundance of actual Honky Tonks, roots
music
of a variety of ilks, to play in.

These days, Slim Pickens.... has anybody used his name for a band?

james of tucson

On 2005-01-07, Chris Hornbeck wrote:

Obviously nobody can croon and dance simultaneously.

I've seen Meat Loaf do it!

Boom

Gee whiz, some of you really need to get over yourselves if you want
to play music for a living. Here's the deal...the person whose is
offering you the gig reigns supreme. If you have the leeway to play
what you want to play, it's only because of their benevolence. If
they're not so giving, then you shut up, play what they want to hear,
collect your paycheck, and do your own side project if you have a big
musical jones you need to let loose. Alison Krauss is not hurting for
musicians who would love to play in her band.

You can say what you want to about musical integrity and how
non-creative it is, but no amount of whining is going to change the
fact that the person signing your checks calls the shots and if they
want it done a certain way, they will hire and fire as many musicians
as it takes to get it done. I lead bands sometimes, and I do sideman
work as well. When I lead the band, I don't want to hear someone
whining about what I'm asking them to play. Just play the damn gig,
get your money, and go home. Likewise, I give the bandleaders I work
with the same respect.

I saw one comment about "I'd rather empty garbage cans than do a gig
like Alison Krauss." Well, my advice to you is get some heavy work
gloves, some steel-toed boots, and work on your upper body strength,
because the likelihood is that you WILL be toting garbage cans instead
of playing music for a living. Unless of course you have your own
project that's really good and gets picked up by a record company.
And then instead of a bandleader who knows her **** telling you what
to do, you'll have a bunch of stupid accountants and lawyers who don't
know dick about music telling you what to do, as well as a producer
who has his own agenda for what he wants your music to sound like.
And if you don't do it, you'll get forgotten and they will either
delay your projects until you do what they want or they'll just let
your contract run out and prevent you from going elsewhere without
paying a hefty price.

Of course, you can go the Ani DiFranco route and start your own label
and do exactly what you want when you want to do it. But how many Ani
DiFrancos are there who have done that and been successful and made
money? So for most of us, the best thing to do is just make the best
of the situation we're in, and go home with some decent cash at the
end of the night. Or go get another job and play music on the side,
and there's nothing at all wrong with that. I'm just telling you how
it is if you want to play music for a living. And that's exactly how
it is. Just remember the Golden Rule: "The one with the gold rules."

Didn't the recording industry learn anything from Milli Vanilli

Lee

Hello, Lee.

I asked the same question awhile back, and was accused of having a chip
on my shoulder. The difference, though, is that I did so in a thread
where Joey was asking about the best method for doing live sequencing,
and where it would have been more appropriate for me to suggest that he
use a hardware sequencer, since this is the purpose for which such
sequencers are designed. The accusation was this group's way of
informing me that I should cut Joey some slack, and, realizing this, I
have been keeping a low profile ever since. I have also learned that
Joey has been pulling a full acoustical orchestra, which certainly
speaks well for his musicianship, and I respect that.

Having done my penance, though, I now would like to get back into the
fistfight! :-)

P. T. Barnum once said that "Nobody ever went broke by underestimating
the intellligence of the public", after which he then proceeded to do
just that: namely, to go broke by underestimating the intelligence of
the public! He did this by writing an autobiography in which this
philosophy was spelled out in such detail that the public became
outraged, and boycotted his enterprises, with the result being that he
had no choice but to declare bankruptcy. Those who do not know history
are condemned to repeat it.

Vin

I have always ascribed to the same philosophy the Allman Brothers Band
allways had and that is "Do only in the studio what you can do live."

I used to ascribe to that philosohy as well.

why though? i say make the album version the best you can make it because
thats the version people are going to hear a thousand times, most people
will never hear the live version or might hear it once or twice, at best a
handful of times if you're around for a while. i say if the song sounds better
with a full orchestra then put one in, if it sounds better with two overlapping
lead vocal tracks, go for it. who cares if you can't reproduce it live,
maybe you can do one of the vocal melodies on guitar live. wanna overdub
drum tracks? do it if its going to make the song better.

if your songs sound a little different live, a little rawer there's nothing
wrong with that, it makes it interesting. i like it when bands rework their
arrangements, or change melodies, or jam things out, etc.. it keeps things
fresh and it gives me a reason to buy the live album. if i want to hear
the album version well, i'll just put on the album.

Agent 86

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 03:28:45 -0500, "Blues_Jam"
wrote:

I have always ascribed to the same philosophy the Allman Brothers Band
allways had and that is "Do only in the studio what you can do live."

I used to ascribe to that philosohy as well. The thing is use as an
example The Beatles Sgt. Pepper album. No way on Gods green earth four
guys are gonna pull that off live. I think what we have is two
different approches here. When in the studio play what is best for
the song not whether or not you can pull it off live. When playing
live make the nessesary adjustments to pull it off live. A few subtle
changes here and there will make it possible to pull off the studio
tune live. Of course you won't get all the nuances or instrmentation
of the studio version but, a great musician will make do just fine.

You're forgetting that the first sessions for Sgt. Pepper took place three
months AFTER the Beatles played their FINAL concert. They were very well
aware that they would never perform any of that material live as a band.

But ignoring that small detail, I still don't think it's a very good
analogy because there's no rule that says the "four guys" have to do it all
by themselves. When was the last time the Rolling Stones played a show
with just the five band members? And as long as you're getting "a little
help from your friends", who would be in a better position financially to
take an orchestra on the road with them? Sure, the backwards stuff & some
of the more involved effects would have to be left out, but I have no doubt
that the Beatles, plus a small orchestra & a handful of extra musicians &
singers could perform most of that material with only minimal changes to
the arrangements.

I think the real limiting factor would be that the venues they had to
perform in (because they were such a strong draw) were so big & loud that
most of the subtleties would have been inaudible anyway. (Which was a big
part of the reason they had decided to stop touring in the first place.

And speaking of the Allman Bros, The other part of their philosophy is "If
you play it the same way two nights in a row, you're out of the band".
That'll put an end to lipsynching pretty quick.

news

In message , -MIKE-
writes

I remember seeing the Beatles in '64.

Yeah, Bernard Purdie did a great job, that night. :-)

-MIKE-

You mean they weren't live!!!? :-)
--
Ian.

Wishbone

hmmmm...sounds like Martina....

"Pat McDonald" wrote in message
news:070120050950229783%patdrums@SPAMFREEmindsprin g.com...
In article , Frisco
wrote:

[...]

Tony Ennis

jaldedert said:
"I agree, however that recording any kind of 'lead'--be it vocal or
instrumental--and passing it off as live is cheating...actually passing
*anything* off as live is cheating. Deception sucks."

I think my rule as a listener would be, "Don't try to trick me."

Bob Seager tried to trick me in 87 or so. The "Turn the Page" sax intro
started with the Sax player nowhere near the mic. He was hussling up to it
when the solo started, barely getting the sax into his mouth in time. I was
very disappointed.

I am 94.764% sure that the whistling part of Billy Joel's "The Stranger" was
also pre-recorded. Another disappointment.

A different example: in Talking Head's "Stop Making Sence" movie, the singer
guy (Gabielle Byrne?) comes out alone with a boombox, a stool, and an
acoustic. He places the stool my a mic, puts the boombox on the stool,
positions the mic by the boombox's speaker, and hits the play button. Now,
there is no way the boombox made the glorious sound that we heard, but I
think he made it pretty clear what was happening. He did sing and play
acoustic for that selection.

When Brittney is doing cartwheels for 20 minutes and doesn't sound winded,
she isn't fooling anyone. But her demographic audience already knows she
isn't singing. Don't confuse musicianship with showmanship!

FZ and the MoI were doing a show similar to American Bandstand. They were
told to lipsync and that they didn't need to play their instruments. Since
they weren't making real music, they decided they didn't need real
instruments, raided a janitor's closet, and 'played' brooms and mops.

For me, I want to hear real live music with all the fretbuzz and finger
squeaks that comes with it. Clapton hit clams all over "Unplugged" but I
liked it anyway.

"Vin" wrote in message

if your songs sound a little different live, a little rawer there's

nothing
wrong with that, it makes it interesting. i like it when bands rework

their
arrangements, or change melodies, or jam things out, etc.. it keeps things
fresh and it gives me a reason to buy the live album. if i want to hear
the album version well, i'll just put on the album.

Well said. I find it interesting to see how the guitarist makes the
comprimises necessary to play a live show. This is particularly interesting
when there's only one guitarist, and he has to try to cover both rhythm and
lead . There's few things more demanding than playing live as a
three-piece.

Lee D

"Frisco" wrote
I think there'll always be a audience for the "make it sound like the
album" bands out there. There's a local cover band in my area that
play current radio-play songs, they play them EXACTLY like the
original artist NOTE FOR NOTE, and they're the most popular club act
in the area.

The same thing seems to go here. You either have to do it exactly like the
original/most recent artist, or play it in a different style like Me First
and the Gimme Gimmes or Hayseed Dixie.

Lee D

james of tucson

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.audio.pro.]
On 2005-01-07, Blues_Jam wrote:

I have always ascribed to the same philosophy the Allman Brothers Band
allways had and that is "Do only in the studio what you can do live."

That they used that philosophy and still ended up with the piano parts
in Jessica, is enlightening (and pretty discouraging too).
Matt

In defense of Billy Joel, he admitted in an interview (I've lost which one)
that he had to take "The Stranger" out of his set for a few years because
the band (especially Liberty) kept making faces and doing funny things in an
effort to make him laugh and screw up the whistling. He was not
pre-recording that part of the show. As to the rest, I cannot say since I
have never seen him live. The video taped live performances I have seen,
suggest to me that he and the band are really playing. He just has amazing
piano and vocal (and whistling) chops. Some folks do.

Matt Porter

"Tony Ennis" wrote in message

jaldedert said:
[...]

litepipe

There isn't just one type of music. You have music that is "composed" and
music that is open to exploration (obviously that's a broad
description)....My point is some songwriters/arrangers/producers work very
hard to make every part work or express something in a song. It's their
statement. I'm a songwriter and play all of the instruments on recording
sessions. When I come up with a part I chisel away until I have the exact
thing I want. This takes a lot of thought and there is usually a reason that
I choose a note (either technical or emotional). When it comes time to
perform this stuff I expect that the musicians are going to have respect for
what their role is and what it is I've done. Because I understand this
perspective it makes it easy for me to work with people. I can play what
they want and be happy or I can play free. I don't expect to come in and
"change" things to my way.
It's also great to be able to play loose. That's a different style. Just
as great, but in a different direction. Not everything is supposed to be
open for interpretation. What about orchestral music? Do you just throw out
the charts? It's fine that we all have enjoy a different bag of tea. I enjoy
hearing Allison play spot on. I really appreciate the skill each of those
musicians has. It's really amazing. At the same time I enjoy listening to
Medeski, Martin and Wood improvise. Everything has it's place.
the problem with some musicians is ego....It can always be better their
way. Now, I'm not saying all.....But it makes no snese to complain about
something that is not your style, just don't do it and leave it to someone
else who wants to. Can we just concentrate on our strengths?

--litepipe

Agent 86

litepipe wrote:

There isn't just one type of music. You have music that is "composed"
and
music that is open to exploration (obviously that's a broad
description)....My point is some songwriters/arrangers/producers work very
hard to make every part work or express something in a song. It's their
statement. I'm a songwriter and play all of the instruments on recording
sessions. When I come up with a part I chisel away until I have the exact
thing I want. This takes a lot of thought and there is usually a reason
that I choose a note (either technical or emotional). When it comes time
to perform this stuff I expect that the musicians are going to have
respect for what their role is and what it is I've done.

Since I've never heard any of your music, I'll apologize in advance if you
turn out to be the next Mozart. This discussion of "playing it like the
record" evolved from someone's observation that fans of
AshleeBritneyAvrilChristinaEtc. want to hear things "just like the
record". In that context, your comment about "Composed music" seems to
put the generators of such modern pop dreck on a similar footing as the
Masters.

So anyway, "When it comes time to perform this stuff", do you write out all
the parts in standard notation for the musicians (who you expect to have
respect for their role and what it is you've done)? Not to give you a hard
time personally, but to say that any piece of pop music is perfect enough
to preclude any improvization on the part of the performers is just silly.

Because I
understand this perspective it makes it easy for me to work with people. I
can play what they want and be happy or I can play free. I don't expect to
come in and "change" things to my way.
It's also great to be able to play loose. That's a different style. Just
as great, but in a different direction. Not everything is supposed to be
open for interpretation. What about orchestral music? Do you just throw
out the charts?

What about orchectral music? FYI, classical orchestral music IS
interpreted BY THE CONDUCTOR. Obviously, it would turn into a cluster****
pretty quickly if an entire orchestra tried to improvise like Miles Davis
or Jerry Garcia. But music is a temporal art form, or else it's not art at
all. Baroque music was always improvised during the baroque period. Do
you think anybody ever left a Bach performance disappointed because the
performers didn't play it like the record?

It's fine that we all have enjoy a different bag of tea. I
enjoy hearing Allison play spot on. I really appreciate the skill each of
those musicians has. It's really amazing. At the same time I enjoy
listening to Medeski, Martin and Wood improvise. Everything has it's
place.
the problem with some musicians is ego....It can always be better their
way. Now, I'm not saying all.....But it makes no snese to complain about
something that is not your style, just don't do it and leave it to someone
else who wants to. Can we just concentrate on our strengths?

And the problem with some songwriters & arrangers is ego as well. A quick
list off the top of my head of the greatest (my opinion) composers of
popular music in the last 50 years: Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Bob Dylan,
Willie Nelson, Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards. Roy Orbison, Warren
Zevon. It's a quick list, so I'm sure I left out a lot of greats. But
what all these guys have in common is that they never worried about playing
it like the record. A great song can stand on its own merits. A great
songwriter knows that.

JMK

"Don Evans" wrote in
:

What else is he going to say if he wants to keep his job. I'd rather
be a refuse collection technician.

Sam S.

Enjoy! I'd rather play with Alison. Lots of bands work that way,
and his description is on the money, IMO. Don't knock it if you've
never done it.

Don

Plus I'd get to hear that voice night after night.

I'm not one for crystal clear female voices, preferring
the dark timbres of a Chrissie Hynde or a Linda Thompson,
but Alison Krause's voice is a thing of beauty.

JMK
JMK

wrote in
m:

"Vin" wrote in message

if your songs sound a little different live, a little rawer there's

nothing
wrong with that, it makes it interesting. i like it when bands rework

their
arrangements, or change melodies, or jam things out, etc.. it keeps
things fresh and it gives me a reason to buy the live album. if i
want to hear the album version well, i'll just put on the album.

Well said. I find it interesting to see how the guitarist makes the
comprimises necessary to play a live show. This is particularly
interesting when there's only one guitarist, and he has to try to
cover both rhythm and lead . There's few things more demanding than
playing live as a three-piece.

I remember when a great band like the Replacements played live
after "Pleased To Meet Me" came out. Their song "Can't Hardly
Wait" had horns and strings, which they were not gonna tour with.
So guitarist Slim Dunlap played these great fills that essentially
took over the supporting role of the strings and horns while
mimicking neither. It was really cool.

JMK
Steve Turner

JMK wrote:

"Don Evans" wrote in
:

What else is he going to say if he wants to keep his job. I'd rather
be a refuse collection technician.

Sam S.

Enjoy! I'd rather play with Alison. Lots of bands work that way,
and his description is on the money, IMO. Don't knock it if you've
never done it.

Don

Plus I'd get to hear that voice night after night.

I'm not one for crystal clear female voices, preferring
the dark timbres of a Chrissie Hynde or a Linda Thompson,
but Alison Krause's voice is a thing of beauty.

JMK

Amen brother, amen.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, change the chemical designation to its common name.
Joe Sensor

Tracy Wintermute wrote:

a public figure backed by studio
musicians singing songs selected by producers from a cadre of
commercial songwriters.

Isn't this, really, what has been going on with most of the 'popular'
music since at least the 30s?

Yes and no. The difference is that the figure had to sing. And had to
sound good doing so.

Same thing on broadway. Most of those singers would be lost on their
own. But they CAN sing. Or they find a different line of work.