Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Default Ohms specs for headphones...do they matter?

Eeyore wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Dec [Cluskey] wrote:

I would be astonished to walk into any studio/TV situation/Radio
where there weren't Beyer Dynamic DT 100 earphones... am I wrong?

You are, sadly, wrong. Fifteen years ago that was absolutely the
case, though.

Are the DT 150s any better ?

Yes. 50 better.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:22:31 -0700, "Dec [Cluskey]"
wrote:

Depending on where and when you want to use the headphones, it is good
to remember that the all time Industry Standard earphones are and
always were the Beyer Dynamic DT 100.

They sound rubbish though.

Graham

Hmmmmmmmm?

As used on the greatest records of all time?

And in the top studios world wide [and mine!]

Dec [Cluskey]

... http://www.makehits.com

So maybe they have other attributes that make them efficient for
tracking. That's different requirements than for mixing or for
listening.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Eeyore wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Dec [Cluskey] wrote:

I would be astonished to walk into any studio/TV situation/Radio where
there weren't Beyer Dynamic DT 100 earphones... am I wrong?

You are, sadly, wrong. Fifteen years ago that was absolutely the case,
though.

Are the DT 150s any better ?

The leakage at low frequencies is reduced a little, but they still sound
pretty nasty.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Laurence Payne wrote:

So maybe they have other attributes that make them efficient for
tracking. That's different requirements than for mixing or for
listening.

Or maybe they had atouch of the NS10 syndrome. Everybody saw them (there
weren't so many alternatives at the time), so everybody thinks they need
them.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dec [Cluskey] Dec [Cluskey] is offline

On Jul 3, 11:25 pm, "Geoff" wrote:
Laurence Payne wrote:

So maybe they have other attributes that make them efficient for
tracking. That's different requirements than for mixing or for
listening.

Or maybe they had atouch of the NS10 syndrome. Everybody saw them (there
weren't so many alternatives at the time), so everybody thinks they need
them.

geoff

Sorry for delay in replying.....overseas, touring!

Yes, there is an element of the NS10 involved .... DT 100 - pure,
accurate and standard throughout the world in every hit making studio.

That is the reason for their success, apart from the fact that they
are similar to Soundcraft mixing desks, modular in construction, so
that each part is quickly replaceable - and the folk in Burgess Hill
[quite near me] are so nice, professional and helpful.

Getting back to the NS10 situation, the DT100's are less frequency
friendly compared to the DT150's but are stunning for getting the
stereo placing correct in a mix [unless you use RSS effects, which
will not react in earphones].

They are also available in a number of Ohmage alternatives to give
differing levels of volume.

[Sounds like a sales commercial - but it is not .... only experience!]

Dec [Cluskey]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Dec [Cluskey] wrote:

Yes, there is an element of the NS10 involved .... DT 100 - pure,
accurate and standard throughout the world in every hit making studio.

Pure, accurate ? Not the ones I've ever heard. Rugged and function for their
intended purpose - certainly.

Standard, well, they were in the 70s, and maybe the 80s, and at a big
stretch the 90s. Not now.

Not unique in having spare parts readily available.

[Sounds like a sales commercial - but it is not .... only experience!]

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dec [Cluskey] Dec [Cluskey] is offline

Geoff

Pure, accurate ? Not the ones I've ever heard. Rugged and function for their
intended purpose - certainly.

Pure and accurate would be in the ears of the individual listener.
They are certainly consistant and all the same .... that is probably
why they are Industry Standard ... check any video footage of
recording sequences ... much like a Marshall amp will be used to
define a Rock Band in film and video/DVD footage.

Standard, well, they were in the 70s, and maybe the 80s, and at a big
stretch the 90s. Not now.

I would have to disagree ... every studio I visit, throughout the
world, uses them. In fact, I travel two sets, just in case the studio
do not have them. They tend to make a statement: "this is a
professional set-up".

Not unique in having spare parts readily available.

Probably not, but, just like Soundcraft mixing desks, a major 'plus'
in a professional set up, where a 'quick fix' is essential.

Regards

Dec [Cluskey]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86[_2_] Agent 86[_2_] is offline

Dec [Cluskey] wrote:

... every studio I visit, throughout the
world, uses them. In fact, I travel two sets, just in case the studio
do not have them.

This sounds like a man who wears a belt with suspenders.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Dec [Cluskey] wrote:

I would have to disagree ... every studio I visit, throughout the
world, uses them. In fact, I travel two sets, just in case the studio
do not have them.

Aren't those two sentences contradictory ? ;-)

geoff