Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Plug In Recommendation

Can you recommend a plug in compatible with Audacity that works well for compression and limiting of spoken voice
recordings? The several I've tried are very mediocre. Free or reasonably low cost is important for this particular
application.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 18/06/2016 13:20, mcp6453 wrote:
Can you recommend a plug in compatible with Audacity that works well for compression and limiting of spoken voice
recordings? The several I've tried are very mediocre. Free or reasonably low cost is important for this particular
application.

Any 32 bit VST audio processing plugin that works in batch mode (That
is, not in real time) can be used with Audacity.

Having said that, the one that comes with Adobe Audition 3 suits me,
using an old copy of Audition, and it's a VST effect.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

mcp6453 writes:

Can you recommend a plug in compatible with Audacity that works well for
compression and limiting of spoken voice recordings? The several I've tried are
very mediocre. Free or reasonably low cost is important for this particular
application.

In this day of modern DSP, it's hard to believe a "stock" comp plug-in won't work --
are you sure it isn't a setting or some external factor?

- is there noticeable room tone in the source track? You might be able to gate it
out, or it might simply cause you fits, no matter what. And, the problems created by
it will be more exposed with compression.

- Make sure you have a high-pass first thing in the chain. Take out any LF noise
that might be causing various problems with comp.

- you might need a couple instances of a dynamics plug-in doing different jobs --
peak limiting, then the appropriate compression

- take care with attack/release/ratio/knee settings. All will affect (some
dramatically) the "quality" of the compression taking place.

- if you've got a fair amount of EQ going on, split out your EQ into two instances.
Put all your cut EQs *before* compression/limiting, and then all the boost EQs
*after* compression/limiting.

- if used, often you'll want the gate last thing in the chain. This is not a hard
and fast rule, but it's typical.

Hope that helps,

Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Frank Stearns wrote:
mcp6453 writes:

Can you recommend a plug in compatible with Audacity that works well for
compression and limiting of spoken voice recordings? The several I've tried are
very mediocre. Free or reasonably low cost is important for this particular
application.

In this day of modern DSP, it's hard to believe a "stock" comp plug-in won't work --
are you sure it isn't a setting or some external factor?

I think he's looking for an AGC rather than a conventional compressor... very
smooth curve with no real knee in it, so no matter where your average level
is it always gets moved to the nominal level.

He also is likely looking for something that has a feature that locks the
gain during silent passages, so the noise floor doesn't pump up and down
audibly between words.

I might suggest an Aphex 108 for actual hardware, but I really don't know
anything about available plug-ins. It would seem like a really easy thing
to code in Nyquist if you're into doing that kind of thing. Or if you can
find someone who is.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

On 6/20/2016 8:02 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
[snip]

He also is likely looking for something that has a feature that locks the
gain during silent passages, so the noise floor doesn't pump up and down
audibly between words.

Scott, I have that exact problem with an voice/video recording I'm trying to
fix. It has noise and it pumps it plenty between words. I've improved it a bit
but it still sounds awful. Is there anything I could do besides going in there
and manually dropping the gain between words? It's an hour long.
Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/20/2016 11:11 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
I have that exact problem with an voice/video recording I'm trying to
fix. It has noise and it pumps it plenty between words. I've improved it
a bit but it still sounds awful. Is there anything I could do besides
going in there and manually dropping the gain between words? It's an
hour long.

Live with it this time, and next time record without the compressor.
Then, if you feel that the recording needs some help, you can play with
plug-in compressor settings on the recorded material without destroying
anything. If you find something that works, you can save a copy of the
track with that compression applied.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

gray_wolf writes:

On 6/20/2016 8:02 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
[snip]

He also is likely looking for something that has a feature that locks the
gain during silent passages, so the noise floor doesn't pump up and down
audibly between words.

Scott, I have that exact problem with an voice/video recording I'm trying to
fix. It has noise and it pumps it plenty between words. I've improved it a bit
but it still sounds awful. Is there anything I could do besides going in there
and manually dropping the gain between words? It's an hour long.
Thanks!

Properly adjusted gate as the last thing in the chain?

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/20/2016 10:36 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 6/20/2016 11:11 AM, gray_wolf wrote:
I have that exact problem with an voice/video recording I'm trying to
fix. It has noise and it pumps it plenty between words. I've improved it
a bit but it still sounds awful. Is there anything I could do besides
going in there and manually dropping the gain between words? It's an
hour long.

Live with it this time, and next time record without the compressor. Then, if
you feel that the recording needs some help, you can play with plug-in
compressor settings on the recorded material without destroying anything. If you
find something that works, you can save a copy of the track with that
compression applied.

Thanks Mike, I didn't record it. It was an interview about some historical stuff
made with a cheep camcorder
It was just a personal challenge for me.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Saturday, June 18, 2016 at 8:20:36 AM UTC-4, mcp6453 wrote:
Can you recommend a plug in compatible with Audacity that works well for compression and limiting of spoken voice
recordings? The several I've tried are very mediocre. Free or reasonably low cost is important for this particular
application.

You could always ask here....
http://forum.audacityteam.org/
.... they'd know the best!

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , gray_wolf wrote:
On 6/20/2016 8:02 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
[snip]

He also is likely looking for something that has a feature that locks the
gain during silent passages, so the noise floor doesn't pump up and down
audibly between words.

Scott, I have that exact problem with an voice/video recording I'm trying to
fix. It has noise and it pumps it plenty between words. I've improved it a bit
but it still sounds awful. Is there anything I could do besides going in there
and manually dropping the gain between words? It's an hour long.

Use a compressor that is designed for speech! Like the aforementioned
Aphex unit, or the ever-classic CBS Audimax. The noise will still be there
and it won't be any more quiet, but it won't pump.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

gray_wolf wrote:
[...]

Oh, you mean the recording was already made with bad AVC. Yeah, there is
really nothing much you can do about that.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 20/06/2016 19:46, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article , gray_wolf wrote:
On 6/20/2016 8:02 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
[snip]

He also is likely looking for something that has a feature that locks the
gain during silent passages, so the noise floor doesn't pump up and down
audibly between words.

Scott, I have that exact problem with an voice/video recording I'm trying to
fix. It has noise and it pumps it plenty between words. I've improved it a bit
but it still sounds awful. Is there anything I could do besides going in there
and manually dropping the gain between words? It's an hour long.

Use a compressor that is designed for speech! Like the aforementioned
Aphex unit, or the ever-classic CBS Audimax. The noise will still be there
and it won't be any more quiet, but it won't pump.
--scott

What about using a compression plugin, but set to increase the dynamic
range? Not quite a noise gate, just dropping the gain when the level is low?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:

What about using a compression plugin, but set to increase the dynamic
range? Not quite a noise gate, just dropping the gain when the level is low?

You can try it, the problem is that once information about levels is lost
you can't ever get it back... and there are a lot of possible input levels
that can give you the same output level on the AGC.

AGC on recording is seldom a good plan.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 20/06/2016 23:52, Scott Dorsey wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

What about using a compression plugin, but set to increase the dynamic
range? Not quite a noise gate, just dropping the gain when the level is low?

You can try it, the problem is that once information about levels is lost
you can't ever get it back... and there are a lot of possible input levels
that can give you the same output level on the AGC.

AGC on recording is seldom a good plan.
--scott

True, and with the decent converters now available it's not as necessary
as it used to be in the days of cassette being the only portable option
for most of us. A touch of limiting, maybe, and run the gain at a
conservative level.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

I see some newer compressors, along with the usual attack and release controls, also have a new HOLD control.

You could use this new feature to hold the gain steady for a settable time before it starts to "release"

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

I see some newer compressors, along with the usual attack and release controls, also have a new HOLD control.

CBS patented this in the early sixties.

You could use this new feature to hold the gain steady for a settable time before it starts to "release"

Indeed.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 21/06/2016 1:02 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

I think he's looking for an AGC rather than a conventional compressor... very
smooth curve with no real knee in it, so no matter where your average level
is it always gets moved to the nominal level.

Waves (or similar) Vocal Rider.

He also is likely looking for something that has a feature that locks the
gain during silent passages, so the noise floor doesn't pump up and down
audibly between words.

A strategically-place noise gate.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

John Williamson wrote:

What about using a compression plugin, but set to increase the dynamic
range? Not quite a noise gate, just dropping the gain when the level is low?

You can try it, the problem is that once information about levels is lost
you can't ever get it back... and there are a lot of possible input levels
that can give you the same output level on the AGC.

AGC on recording is seldom a good plan.
--scott

True, and with the decent converters now available

Oh, yeah, those early, nasty converters!! Sadly, I had to research myself why a lot of early CDs lacked any zest, and it had absolutely nothing to do with "converters(tors)". Lucky, one of us is actually listening to music, rather than organized "noise".

Jack

plug-in help DADGAD Pro Audio 9 July 27th 09 08:27 AM
LA-2A vs. A Plug John Phillips Pro Audio 8 September 4th 06 05:32 PM
Help ID'ing mic plug? TheKeith Pro Audio 16 November 17th 04 03:07 PM
What is a MAS plug-in? AweSpishus Pro Audio 12 October 4th 03 09:53 PM
12 V plug? Christopher Glaeser Pro Audio 5 September 4th 03 07:00 PM