Posted to rec.audio.car
dubbin it up dubbin it up is offline

Default Amp safety

Is it safe to put a class d amplifier underneath the driver side seat to
power to 10" subs in the trunk? Can it overheat?

I was thinking of putting it there but i wanted to know if there were any
safety issues doing so?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kevin McMurtrie Kevin McMurtrie is offline

In article ,
"dubbin it up" wrote:

Is it safe to put a class d amplifier underneath the driver side seat to
power to 10" subs in the trunk? Can it overheat?

I was thinking of putting it there but i wanted to know if there were any
safety issues doing so?

Read the manual. Some amps have forced air cooling for full performance
with under-seat mounting.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

3 of my 4 amps are mounted under the passenger and driver seats and after
many years I have experienced no ill effects. The fact that it is a Class D
means that it will operate more efficiently and (in theory) operate cooler
than regular Class AB amps as less power will be converted to heat, so I
would think there would be no problems at all with under seat mountings, as
long as there is at least SOME space for air to circulate over the amp (just
a couple inches should be adequate). If it is a forced air-cooled type
(with a fan), then make sure the air-intake vents are not blocked. Also, as
already suggested, consult the manual as you don't want to do anything that
might shorten the life of your amp OR invalidate the warranty.

MOSFET

"dubbin it up" wrote in message
Is it safe to put a class d amplifier underneath the driver side seat to
power to 10" subs in the trunk? Can it overheat?

I was thinking of putting it there but i wanted to know if there were any
safety issues doing so?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

I have my class d sub amp mounted vertically on the box in the trunk,
between the box and the back seat... I run that amp often and hard;
and there's not a whole lot of space back there. I was so concerned
about this that I mounted a fan and a custom-designed-and-made
temperature sensor on/near the amp. Truth be told; it looks really
cool, but I haven't had to use it yet - and my manual specifically said
that my amp should be mounted flat (which it's not) for cooling
purposes... You can check it out he
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2367650
The moral here is that (at least for the model I got) you don't have to
worry about overheating a class d.
~Mister.Lull
dubbin it up wrote:
Is it safe to put a class d amplifier underneath the driver side seat to
power to 10" subs in the trunk? Can it overheat?

I was thinking of putting it there but i wanted to know if there were any
safety issues doing so?

Posted to rec.audio.car
mfreak mfreak is offline

You can check it out he
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2367650

That's a very nice install, doesn't even look like a sub box is in
there at first glance.. A 10 tuned to 26 Hz?? That's just sick, I
never thought a 10 could go so low! That inspires me to build a custom
box now, I have a pair of 12's that sound pretty good in a generic
prefab box, but I'm sure I could get more out of em.. Props to yours,

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Very kind words, Thank You!

The box doesn't actually have much to do with the frequency on this
particular sub, though. The Fs (resonant frequency) of the sub itself
is 26.13 Hz - so tuning the box was a blast for me... I just wanted to
make sure that the frequency response curve was nice and smooth, which
it is.
Thanks Again,
~Mister.Lull
mfreak wrote:
You can check it out he
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2367650

That's a very nice install, doesn't even look like a sub box is in
there at first glance.. A 10 tuned to 26 Hz?? That's just sick, I
never thought a 10 could go so low! That inspires me to build a custom
box now, I have a pair of 12's that sound pretty good in a generic
prefab box, but I'm sure I could get more out of em.. Props to yours,

A safety invention Robert Morein Audio Opinions 8 March 21st 06 10:28 AM
Batteries and Safety question [email protected] Pro Audio 1 November 20th 05 09:21 PM
Bypassing safety feature on the Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD TJ via CarKB.com Car Audio 9 August 4th 05 04:03 AM
Safety Issues west Vacuum Tubes 5 May 2nd 05 07:01 AM
FA/S: Audio Technica Safety Raiser AT6006 jb_in_denver Marketplace 0 December 18th 04 03:21 AM