Phil Allison

Turner the Turd wrote while getting drunk :

Transistor amps typically have an open loop response curve
that looks like an arch, with a peak at 500 Hz, and rolling off
at 6 dB/octave either side.

** And some folk here think this ****wit is an amp guru ???

Why ????????

BTW The main drawback of being an arselicker is that you have to swallow
so much ****.

............ Phil

Ruud Broens

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
: Ruud Broens wrote:
: sorry John, snppin' for BW sav'n purposes the

: Here is one problem of the concept of feedback itself:
: it is all very well to model perceived physical phenomena
: in a suitable mathematical form, convenient to 'get rid of'
: time by using complex numbers, but
:
: a cause-effect-feedback chain of events does not occur in zero time,
: whatever your modeling might lead you to believe.
:
: Ho hummm. The model includes time. Explicity. Its a non issue.

Kevin! I've decided i won't let you off easily here, either. Sorry, chap.
Understanding...simple...evident.
Can thee understand this:
Here i have this train, it's a short one,
1 ps nice triangular spikies, 1 Volt to the top
hm, arrivin' - ever sooo slowly, them 'lectrons -
at the opamp's front door : entrance, for a
millionfold gain, over here please cue
Now, this is a place of good'breedin',
The noble house of ye Lords BB,
model OPA sumthin.
Hear they have a nice, 50 bold Volts
of powering the place there.

Can you finish the story ?
Rudy

: The transfer function of:
:
: Vo(jw) = A(jw)/(1 + A(jw).B(jw))
:
: Includes time via the phase of A(jw) and B(jw))
:
: In the laplace domain
:
: Vo(s) = A(s)/(1 + A(s).B(s))
:
: Incluses time in its inverse.
:
: So here is one, just for Kevin:
: what are you actually correcting there with a feedback signal ?
:
:
: Its all in the wash. The math accounts for any and all time delays. One
: just crunches the numbers.
:
:
: Kevin Aylward
:
:
http://www.anasoft.co.uk
: SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
: Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
: Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.
:
: http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html
:
: Understanding, is itself an emotion, i.e. a feeling.
: Emotions or feelings can only be "understood" by
: consciousness. "Understanding" consciousness can
: therefore only be understood by consciousness itself,
: therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness, is
: intrinsically unsolvable.
:
: Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
: understanding of the parts of a system can
: explain all aspects of the whole of such system.
:
:

Kevin Aylward

Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...
Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...

Just a final bit of spice then: physicists do *not* hold a realist's
view of reality, that is, a physicist will tell you physics deals
with correlations of perceived sensory data, a phenomenological
approach.

This is not really true of all or even most physicists. Many hold the
view that there is an objective reality, that may be describable by
many different models. Some hold the view that there is no objective
reality. I am in the same camp as Einstein, that there is an
objective reality. Because I know Goedal, I can accept that this may
be true, even without proof. The evidence suggests that there is a
real reality, despite some claims to the contrary my writers of
popular physics Bantam paperbacks.

A main issue with popular expressed physics is that many metaphysical
ideas are presented as being a consequence of the physics known to
work, when in fact, the physics don't care about someone's particular
interpretation. For example, collapse of the wave function,
particles in two places at once, or many universes, are all waffle
ideas that are not required in the slightest in quantum Mechanics.
They are redundant add-ons. QM works pefectly well without these
daft ideas.

Funny that you should mention Quantum Physics - it's precisely the
findings in this field that tell us, Idealism is the 'best fit'.
Maybe add some Feymann books to the list there..

No it doesn't. That's why I mentioned it. You must have missed my bit
about "popular descriptions of physics". There is *nothing* in physics
whosoever that indicates Idealism. However, I agree that many Phd's do
waffle on with their misunderstandings and *claim* that such
metaphysical nonsense is part of real physics. I think you should be
aware that, although an EE, I do know a litle bit about these subjects,
e.g. http://www.anasoft.co.uk/physics/gr/index.html

What particular quantum physics "findings" did you have in mind?

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html

Understanding, is itself an emotion, i.e. a feeling.
Emotions or feelings can only be "understood" by
consciousness. "Understanding" consciousness can
therefore only be understood by consciousness itself,
therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness, is
intrinsically unsolvable.

Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
understanding of the parts of a system can
explain all aspects of the whole of such system.

Ruud Broens

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
: Ruud Broens wrote:
: "Kevin Aylward" wrote in
: message ...
: Ruud Broens wrote:
: "Kevin Aylward" wrote in
: message ...
:
:
[...]
Ai, Kev', good your in depth understanding of Quantum Theory
along the same cut&paste-from-da-web 'method' there ?
Good to see you're siding with Einstein there, he, we all stand
on the shoulders of giants, eh ?
That said, have to say he 'lost it a bit' when proclaiming
"God doesn't through Dice"
when confronted with da quanta.

books, colleges, the accumulated findings of generations
of people, many of whom no doubt a lot smarter than either
you or me, hey, problem, what problem ?, the 'web-gen."
will lookit up for ya, man.
I rest 'my' thread...
Hope i've wobbled your firm beliefs a bit, but anyhow, twaz nice,
C U
Rudy
:
: Kevin Aylward
:
:
http://www.anasoft.co.uk
: SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
: Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
: Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.
:
: http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html
:
: Understanding, is itself an emotion, i.e. a feeling.
: Emotions or feelings can only be "understood" by
: consciousness. "Understanding" consciousness can
: therefore only be understood by consciousness itself,
: therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness, is
: intrinsically unsolvable.
:
: Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
: understanding of the parts of a system can
: explain all aspects of the whole of such system.
:
:

Kevin Aylward

Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...
Ruud Broens wrote:
[...]

What story? It is too convoluted to understand. I suspect that you are
making an argument along the lines that feedback takes time, with the
claim that it arrives too late. If so, this is a complete non issue, as
I already explained. *Correct* feedback theory and application accounts
for this all in the wash. Of course, if the input signal step is faster
than the slew rate that the loop can handle there is an issue, however,
this is *already* accounted for in the assumption of large loop gain. If
it slews there is *no* loop gain, i.e. the condition will violate the
initial assumption. If I declare that there *is* loop gain, than I
*really* *mean* that there *is* loop gain, all the time. End of story.
Conditions where there is *no* loop gain are *excluded*, by
construction.

So, we make an amp and make sure that its input signal slew rate is less
than which the amp can handle, thereby preventing any issues. So long as
there *is* sufficient loop gain, as soon as the input signal starts to
move, the large gain will force a continuous correction signal to the
feedback input.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html

Understanding, is itself an emotion, i.e. a feeling.
Emotions or feelings can only be "understood" by
consciousness. "Understanding" consciousness can
therefore only be understood by consciousness itself,
therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness, is
intrinsically unsolvable.

Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
understanding of the parts of a system can
explain all aspects of the whole of such system.

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that Kevin Aylward kevindotaylwardEXTR
wrote (in
i.net) about 'A little feedback worse than none at all?', on Wed, 19
Nov 2003:
John Woodgate wrote:
I read in sci.electronics.design that Kevin Aylward
kevindotaylwardEXTR
wrote (in
i.net) about 'A little
feedback worse than none at all?', on Wed, 19 Nov 2003:
What is it with yoiu that you wont read what I wrote.

I am reading it, Kevin. I just don't accept what you say.

Your simple not listening.

Yes, I am. You are considering what applies when you apply feedback to
an amplifier with very good open-loop non-linearity, pushing the state-
of-the-art, while I am considering the danger of relying on large
amounts of feedback to correct an amplifier that has poor open-loop
linearity, such as many tube/valve stages.

A *practical* amp *always* generates *all* harmonics. If enough
feedback is used each and every harmonic will stil be less than the
open loop for value of each harmonic.

No. An amplifier with very little 9th harmonic, for example, but
quite a bit of 3rd and fifth, is quite likely to have MORE 9th when
feedback is applied.

NOT IF THE FEEDBACK IS LARGE ENOUGTH.

You should read what *I* wrote, 'quite likely'. It depends on precisely
how much feedback. I used to have a demo rig that showed this. As you
altered the feedback (while adjusting the input voltage so as to keep
the same out put voltage), you could see the 9th harmonic increase and
decrease. The same applied to the 7th and 11th.

Why can't you understand this.

Because you are contradicting something that I didn't write.

It could also have less, because the new 9th
might be in the opposite polarity to the original.

than it
can sound much worse. However, if one gets into the *total* THD/IMD
figures of 0.01%, then feedback is great. End of story.

IF (and it's a big IF) you really achieved 0.01% IMD, then you'd
have a case.

No its not a big if whatsoever. Its trivial to get 0.005% at 20Khz.

How do you get 0.005% **IMD** at a single frequency?

Dont be an arse. There is an assumption here, lets say the other one is
at 19Khz

So I'm not only suppose to read what you write, but also to mentally
fill in what you don't write?

Normally, 19+20 kHz is used to look at the 1 kHz component, i.e. second-
order intermodulation only. It IS necessary to look at third-order as
well, to get a representative picture of what is going on. Looking at
2nd order only is like looking at THD and not the harmonic spectrum. THD
can only tell you that 'more is probably worse'. It won't tell you
whether 1% sounds good or horrible.

It's trivial to get 0.005% **THD** at 20 kHz if the closed-loop
bandwidth is low enough.(;-)

Look, there are even amps that have *widband* THD/IMD at 0.001%.

Please note the smiley. I have to make jokes in this thread, otherwise
I'd scream.(;-)

Done
it 20 years ago. 20 years later and my mosfet 1000 is still going
strong.
http://www.anasoft.co.uk/studiomaster/Studiomaster.htm

I expect your amp has good open-loop linearity. In that case, you
won't have the problem I'm talking about.

It has to be a pretty pathetic amp design to have poor open loop
linearity.

We WERE discussing valve/tube amplifiers. Remember?

Sure, there were some dreadful amps in the past, but as I
explained in my published letters in Electronics World, its simple not
an issue to design an amplifier correctly.

But if you get 0.01% THD by putting lots of feedback around a
not very linear amplifier, then you will NOT get 0.01% IMD.

If you use enough feed back you will, but I am not discussing poorly
designed amps.

But that's the whole POINT!!! It IS bad design to put lots of feedback
around an amplifier with poor open-loop linearity.

What's your definition of poor open loop linearity?

It can't be a hard-and-fast formal definition, because the *nature* of
the non-linearity matters. The exponential non-linearity of bipolars is
bad news, because that generates an extended harmonic spectrum open-
loop, whereas the square law of a FET is much less troublesome.
Generally, something between 2% and 5% can be regarded as 'poor'.

Secondly, if it were so bad, tube amps would sound dreadful as they
typically have low feedback, like say 15db.

I feel like giving up! LOW feedback isn't a serious source of highly
extended harmonic spectra, which lead to bad IM performance.

Of course it is. Your now contradicting yourself. With low feedback, a
square law mixes with its input to generate many odd harmonics.

But with low feedback, the high-order mix products are very small.
With
large enough feedback, it clobbers these newly introduced harmonies.

They DON'T reduce much, if at all, as you increase the feedback, and
higher and higher order components appear. Do some calculations or
simulations and you will see what I mean. You get 0.0x% of each harmonic
from 2nd to the band-limit of the amplifier.

[snip]

I'm not really discussing cheap and nasty ic chips. I am referring to
competently designed discrete hi-fi amps. Of course ic amps are
usually poor.

Yes, you are arguing from different initial assumptions. That's why
you don't accept what I am saying.

I stated what my assumption was, right from the start. Large amounts of
feedback.

No, you made TWO initial assumptions, *good open-loop linearity* AND
large amounts of feedback. See your comment about chap and nasty ic
chips.

WITH those TWO assumptions, I don't have any serious disagreement with
what you say, but *I* didn't make those assumptions, which are not
applicable to the case the OP stated.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Kevin Aylward

Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...
Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...
Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Its not in depth, but it is accurate in what is known.

along the same cut&paste-from-da-web 'method' there ?
Good to see you're siding with Einstein there, he, we all stand
on the shoulders of giants, eh ?
That said, have to say he 'lost it a bit' when proclaiming
"God doesn't through Dice"
when confronted with da quanta.

He was the first to explain the photo electric effect with quanta.

books, colleges, the accumulated findings of generations
of people, many of whom no doubt a lot smarter than either
you or me,

The truth, most are not.

hey, problem, what problem ?, the 'web-gen."

Such as?

I don't think you know where I'm coming from. I am not alone in my view
of physics. There are many well respected physicists that reject the
daft add-on interpretations of QM. e.g Leslie Ballentine's text book
"Quantum Mechanics, A Modern Development", of Simon Frazer Univesity,
with the Quantum Ensemble Interpretation.

will lookit up for ya, man.
I rest 'my' thread...
Hope I've wobbled your firm beliefs a bit, but anyhow, twaz nice,

Not at all. You haven't actually presented any actual views other than
suggesting I go an look at other peoples views.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html

Understanding, is itself an emotion, i.e. a feeling.
Emotions or feelings can only be "understood" by
consciousness. "Understanding" consciousness can
therefore only be understood by consciousness itself,
therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness, is
intrinsically unsolvable.

Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
understanding of the parts of a system can
explain all aspects of the whole of such system.

Patrick Turner

: Ruud Broens wrote:
[...]

Could he finish it?
Could he ever follow what your'e sayin man?

Patrick Turner.

: The transfer function of:
:
: Vo(jw) = A(jw)/(1 + A(jw).B(jw))
:
[...]

Patrick Turner

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...
Ruud Broens wrote:
[...]

I tend to agree with you.
Some say that no matter how fast the FB gets back to the input,
there is a delay, and the signal isn't in "real time",
and the signal is somehow spoiled.
But the way I see it is that the input signal is being
compared with a fed back signal simultaneously,
and the delays are minimal, and only have a duration
which is a small part of any cycle or wave form
entering the amp.
Where the delays add up to a -180 degree phase
lag should occur where the open loop gain has been reduced sufficiently
to prevent the NFB from becoming PFB, and oscilation occuring.
ppl talk of transient behaviour analomies, and this depends on the HF
performance, so the bandwidth of the amp shoulod reach
well above 20 kHz, for the phase shift to be low, and correction
to phase lags able to be fully applied even at 20 kHz.

If ppl want to complain about delays with FB, then they ought to
start with the addressing the worse delays with no FB.
FB when well applied, seems to do the transients no harm.
But if an amp saturates a stage when a crash of cymbals occurs,
then the amp just hasn't got a good enough HF response.

I like tube amps with wide open loop response before FB is applied,
say 70 kHz, and then after 16 dB of FB, the sound is still tubey,
but very accurate, with warmth etc preserved, ie, hi-fi.

Patrick Turner.

Ian Iveson

Who is R.Z. of Hibbing, MN, Al, please?

Oh, and who's yellow shsrk were you listening to?

cheers, Ian.

Dave Ryan

While pondering glazed doughnuts Ian Iveson mistakenly typed
:
: Who is R.Z. of Hibbing, MN, Al, please?
:
: Oh, and who's yellow shsrk were you listening to?
:
: cheers, Ian.

I suspect he's referrring to

Robert Zimmerman

a.k.a.

Bob Dylan

Go Al!
-dave

Paul Burridge

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 20:39:27 +0100, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:

I couldn't care less where 'you're coming from'
It's your feeble quality of arguments, the sheer lack of
knowledge, the obnoxious condescendending style,
that tells us enough about you.

Hmmm. I do believe I've heard these criticisms before, Kev. That Nobel
prize ain't comin' any time soon. ;-
--

"I expect history will be kind to me, since I intend to write it."
- Winston Churchill
Ken Smith

John Popelish wrote:
[...]
I think the important fact to keep in mind is that negative feedback
does not have much chance of increasing the high harmonics when it is
used to suppress the low harmonics,

This is not completely true. If the amplifier's phase margin is less than
45 degrees, there is peaking near the gain cross over frequency. If a
harmonic is within this band, it tends to get boosted by the peaking.

forging knowledge

Ruud Broens

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message
:
: "Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
: ...
:
: :
: : What particular quantum physics "findings" did you have in mind?

Actually, this one
Feynman had got to know [biologist James] Watson during the sabbatical
year that Dick had spent as a 'graduate student' in biology. He had an
opportunity to renew the acquaintance when he visited Chicago early in
1967, and when they met Watson gave Feynman a copy of the typescript
of what was to become his famous book The Double Helix, about his
discovery, together with Francis Crick, of the structure of DNA. Feynman
read the book straight through, the same day. He had been accompanied
on that trip by David Goodstein, then a young physicist just completing
his
PhD at Caltech, and late that night Feynman collared Goodstein and told
him that he had to read Watson's book -- immediately. Goodstein did as
he was told, reading through the night while Feynman paced up and down,
or sat doodling on a pad of paper. Some time towards dawn, Goodstein
looked up and commented to Feynman that the surprising thing was that
Watson had been involved in making such a fundamental advance in science,
and yet he had been completely out of touch with what everybody else in
his field
was doing.
Feynman held up the pad he had been doodling on. In the middle, surrounded
by all kinds of scribble, was one word, in capitals: DISREGARD. That, he
told Goodstein, was the whole point. That was what he had forgotten, and why
he had been making so little progress. The way for researchers like himself
and Watson to make a breakthrough was to be ignorant of what everybody else
was doing and plough their own furrow. [pp. 185-186]

What had gone wrong for Feynman was that he had begun taking too seriously
the idea

that modern knowledge is a collective enterprise. Just trying to keep up
with his field had

suppressed his own sources of inspiration, which were in his own solitary
questions and

examinations. This, indeed, is the fate of most research in most
disciplines, to make the

smallest, least threatening, possible addition to "current knowledge."
Anything more would be

presumptuous, anything more might elicit the fatal "Don't you know what
so-and-so is doing"

from a Peer Reviewer, anything more might invite dismissal as some
off-the-wall speculation

-- not serious work.

So Feynman "stopped trying to keep up with the scientific literature or
compete with other

theorists at their own game, and went back to his roots, comparing
experiment with theory,

making guesses that were all his own..." [p. 186]. Thus he became productive
again, as he

had been when he had just been working things out for himself, before
becoming a famous physicist.

While this is an important lesson for science, it is a supreme lesson for
philosophy,

where "current knowledge" can be dominated by theories, like Logical
Positivism or deconstruction,

that are simply incoherent. Trying to keep up with literature like that is a
complete waste of time, even if contributions to it earn the praise of
reviewers and are snapped up by presitigious journals.

To participate in this may prudently recommend itself to the careerist, but
it holds little hope of making

any real contributions to the progress of philosophy.

To philosophy they are assigned with their wives and children, and in
spite of Petrarch's povera e nude vai filosofia ["you go poor and nude,
philosophy"], they have taken a chance on it. [Arthur Schopenhauer, The
World as Will and Representation, Vol. 1, E.F.J. Payne translation, Dover,
1858, p.xxvi]
New ideas do not come from committees, and although this dynamic is so well
understood

as to be part of folk wisdom, researchers in many areas of science or
scholarship are so blinded

by their own herd mentality, or collectivist ideology, or rent-seeking
behavior, that they commonly act,

both for themselves and in judgment of others, in denial of it. Of all the
"curious" lessons of

Richard Feynman's life, this is one of the best.

John Popelish

Ken Smith wrote:

In article ,
John Popelish wrote:
[...]
I think the important fact to keep in mind is that negative feedback
does not have much chance of increasing the high harmonics when it is
used to suppress the low harmonics,

This is not completely true. If the amplifier's phase margin is less than
45 degrees, there is peaking near the gain cross over frequency. If a
harmonic is within this band, it tends to get boosted by the peaking.

Agreed. I also failed to mention the production of new harmonics by
intermodulation.

--
John Popelish

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that John Popelish
wrote (in ) about 'A little feedback worse
than none at all?', on Thu, 20 Nov 2003:

I think the important fact to keep in mind is that negative feedback
does not have much chance of increasing the high harmonics when it is
used to suppress the low harmonics,

Kevin has already explained how feedback does indeed create high-order
harmonics which were not present in the open-loop condition, by
intermodulation (in the non-linearity in the forward path through the
amplifier) between fed-back harmonics and the fundamental or other fed-
back harmonics.

The difference between KA and me on this point is basically that KA says
that the high-order harmonic amplitudes monotonically decrease as the
feedback factor is increased, where as I don't agree that it's
monotonic.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Kevin Aylward

Ruud Broens wrote:
"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...

What particular quantum physics "findings" did you have in mind?

Actually, this one
Feynman had got to know [biologist James] Watson during the

{snip as nothing to do with the question whatsever}

Feynman held up the pad he had been doodling on. In the middle,
surrounded by all kinds of scribble, was one word, in capitals:
DISREGARD. That, he told Goodstein, was the whole point. That was
what he had forgotten, and why he had been making so little progress.
The way for researchers like himself and Watson to make a
breakthrough was to be ignorant of what everybody else was doing and
plough their own furrow. [pp. 185-186]

However, I agree with this point. It is why I have came up with:

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/understanding.html

"Understanding" itself requires consciousness, therefore consciousness
cannot be "understood" without referring to itself for the explanation,
therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness, is intrinsically
unsolvable as it is self referral.

I admit, I have been pretty much ignorant of what people were doing in
this field. They missed this trivial fact, and have spent years ****ing
about on an unsolvable problem.

{snip as nothing to do with the question whatsever}

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Kevin Aylward

Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...

hey, problem, what problem ?, the 'web-gen."

Such as?

I don't think you know where I'm coming from. I am not alone in my
view of physics. There are many well respected physicists that
reject the daft add-on interpretations of QM. e.g Leslie
Ballentine's text book "Quantum Mechanics, A Modern Development", of
Simon Frazer Univesity, with the Quantum Ensemble Interpretation.

I couldn't care less where 'you're coming from'
It's your feeble quality of arguments, the sheer lack of

Since you have *not* refuted *any* of my arguments, it is clear just who
is lacking in has feeble arguments, knowledge and ability. Making such
vacuous, unsupported claims, does not make them valid.

knowledge, the obnoxious condescendending style,
that tells us enough about you.

You mean you don't like being proven wrong.

Confronted with the simplest of simple, no freshman in
physics would have any problem with, like the doppler
question i put to you, you couldn't get it right, simple.

What the $#@% are you going on about. This is damn lie. What *exactly*
did I say that was incorrect? I made a comment on Doppler. Clearly you
did not have sufficient knowledge to do the calculations yourself, so I
had to do them for you. Then your ignorance showed that you didn't even
understand such a basic calculation.

You make a &*%$ing claim here that I did not understand anything, yet
you made no argument *whatsoever* to refute my calculations. Your claim
is baseless. Explain exactly what I got wrong, or retract your lie.

Never mind you conveniently neglected to inform us
what bearing this effect, with any musical signal only having
such magnitude at oh, say, 1 % of the time, actually has
on the perceived sound.

Because I assumed that you had some knowledge of the Bessel series
expansion of an FM wave. Sadly I was mistaken. You comment here of "only
1% of the time", shows you have not got the *slightest* idea of the
mathematics involved here. Your a rank amateur. Let me put you in the
picture.

V = Vp.sin(Wc.t + m.sin(Wm.t))

This generates a whole series of *continuously* present frequencies, the
magnitude of each harmonics weighted by m. The peak value of the
frequency shift is the value that one uses to calculate what the
spectrum spread is, essentially by Jn(mf). You don't just go, oh well,
its only that for a bit of the time, so the frequencies are only on for
a bit of the time. You obviously have done no graduate maths whatsoever,
so stop making daft claims on things that you can't possible understand.

It is well known that frequency modulation is far more audibly
detectable that harmonic distortion. I will leave it you as an exercise
to look up what the amplitudes of the harmonics of an FM wave when it
has a *peak* modulation index of 0.3%.

And then the whole raft of
unoutspoken beliefs you hold,

And just art thous unoutspoketh beliefs spoketh?

most of them blatantly wrong,
eg. that perception of distortion is simply a linear additional
effect, so how can 0.1 % of X be noticiable when there is
1 % of Y....

I said no such thing. Your just making this up as you go along. What I
did say was that if distortion was below 0.01%, it is inaudible.

I made no claim whatsoever that there was a linear relation between
distortion and perceived audio detriment. *Show* me such a quote, or
retract your lies.

The deal here, is that you have failed to refute anything I have said,
therefore you simple lie about what I have said. The record is clear on
this for all to see. All your doing here is embarrassing yourself.

In fact, you remind me a lot of the athropologists of the
old days, who did nothing but reasoning about their findings
from their 'superiour white man' position, ascribing any
find to stupidity, primitivity, etc.
For instance, there was this tribe who had this ritual,
where if someone got seriously ill, it ended with hanging
a particular produce from a tree, near a river, for seven
days, then brew some medicine from that.
Stupid, placebo effect, etc.
Until some biochemist tracked this story and found out
that precisely these circumstances promoted the growth
of a mold that had very penicilline-like effects...

My comments are made by my years of experiance in said subject matters.
http://www.anasoft.co.uk/founder.html
http://www.anasoft.co.uk/studiomaster/Studiomaster.htm
http://www.anasoft.co.uk/EE/index.html
http://www.anasoft.co.uk/physics/gr/index.html

The fact that you are lacking in any such qualifications is evidence of
your inability to understand my knowledge, not that mine is lacking.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html

"Understanding" itself requires consciousness,
therefore consciousness cannot be "understood"
without referring to itself for the explanation,
therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness,
is intrinsically unsolvable as it is self referral.

Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
understanding of the parts of a system can
explain all aspects of the whole of such system.

MDHJWH

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message ...
"Ruud Broens" wrote in message
:
: "Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
: ...
:
: :
: : What particular quantum physics "findings" did you have in mind?

Actually, this one
Feynman had got to know [biologist James] Watson during the sabbatical
year that Dick had spent as a 'graduate student' in biology.etc snip,..

Wonderful stuff !!!!!!
....................................was it Cicero who said "He has the
dust of a thousand libraries in his mind"

Ayn Marx
Ruud Broens

: Ruud Broens wrote:
[...]

Now why is it, that I have a little piece of paper here in front of me
scribbled in the middle : "Kevin will quote the disregard bit"
and around that : ..but will he get the point that 'true' scientists
take a look across the borders of their own discipline..?

Kevin, have to admit, you've got the balls, but..have you got the moves ?
Rudy

Ruud Broens

"MDHJWH" wrote in message : "Ruud Broens"
wrote in message
: ...
: :
: : "Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message
: : ...
: :
: : :
: : : What particular quantum physics "findings" did you have in mind?
:
:
: Actually, this one
: Feynman had got to know [biologist James] Watson during the sabbatical
: year that Dick had spent as a 'graduate student' in biology.etc
snip,..
:
: Wonderful stuff !!!!!!
: ...................................was it Cicero who said "He has the
: dust of a thousand libraries in his mind"
:
: Ayn Marx

Hi there, MDHJWH,
yes, it was, thanks Kevin, for having me check out
if something was readily available on the web.

I have been known to run up ye 'old IQ barometer
quite a bit,
but that don't mean nothin' to me,
in most matters that *matter*
i consider females to be simply streets ahead
of us testosteron-drivein' machines

Tiz why i like their company..

What do you think, MDHJWH,
is there hope yet
for a decent publication coming from Kevin Aylward
if he hires a female co-writer
to make it pallatable ?
:-)
Rudy

Kevin Aylward

Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...
Ruud Broens wrote:
[...]

Lets get this straight shall we. My basic "trade" is analogue design,
i.e. my basic discipline, I have ben doing this for over 20 years.

I have have wrote a 100k spice program that people buy.
I have done graduate level general relativity, A pass.
I have done graduate level Quantum Mechanics, B pass.
I have done graduate level Quantum Statistics, A pass.
I have uniquely constructed a gene-meme replicator theory to explain
human behaviour.
I have been playing electric guitar since I was 11 and still gig on
occasions.
I write and record all my own backing midi tracks.
I have developed my own unique mathematical proofs.

You appear to be claiming that I am stuck in one box. I trust the above
will clarify how sadly misguided and worthless your views are. Its
certainly clear just who has "A little knowledge that is worse than none
at all" in this NG.

And do let us all know when you actually find any errors in:
http://www.anasoft.co.uk/EE/index.html
http://www.anasoft.co.uk/physics/gr/index.html
http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

"Understanding" itself requires consciousness,
therefore consciousness cannot be "understood"
without referring to itself for the explanation,
therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness,
is intrinsically unsolvable as it is self referral.

Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
understanding of the parts of a system can
explain all aspects of the whole of such system.

Ian Iveson

"Dave Ryan" wrote

I suspect he's referrring to

Robert Zimmerman

a.k.a.

Bob Dylan

I see. He was a folk singer I dimly recall. Thanks.

I still wonder which yellow shark...can't even remember where it was
mentioned...just stuck in my head.

cheers, Ian

Ruud Broens

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
: Ruud Broens wrote:
: "Kevin Aylward" wrote in
: message ...
: Ruud Broens wrote:
[...]

Temper, temper. He you know about the high blood-pressure statistics, too ?

Nah, won't enter that typical male thing there, curriculum peeing contest.
Just a final recap then:

))"Kevin Aylward"

))[snip]

)) Consciousness is simple a result that occurs when systems get
)) sufficiently complicated. However, although it is *only* a function of
)) its mass-energy parts, it can not be derived from its parts. It just is.
)) It is an example of a Goedel system. True, but not derivable.

))How many boards do you need to pull out of HAL9000 before it
))looses it's consciousness

))--
))Thanks, Frank.

(---- here Frank puts to you a humorous but also very to the point
(---- question. At what point *do* you consider a machine running
(---- algorithms, adaptive neural nets, etc. to be conscious / self -
(----aware / capable of multiple decisions under the same 'input'
(----condition (no random gen., puleasz), etc, etc.

no simpel mapping there, eh, 'all in the wash' won't help us very much
there, now, will it ? Ahh, but it 'just happens' all there is to it, some
'critical mass'. have an estimate there, at your choosing, say of
MB of memory use, # lines of code, # of nodal net points, whatever,
where you can definitely say: he, we've got consciousness right
here, it's happening !
,then see how that computes with say the brainsize of a worm,,
or where, in fact, would *you* say in the animal kingdom
'starts' conscious behaviour ?

Now, any genius if read about (many) or have had the pleasure to meet in
the flesh (3) would be only too happy, to debate such a question..Kevin--?

Technical
: Adding in the
: standard 1% to 10% of normal speaker THD/IMD, and there is no chance
: whatsoever that your claim is supported.

You should take up some german lessons, Kevin. They *are* having
this reputation for thorougness, gruendlichheit, justly so.
Here is a snippet from a review of a dozen or so
PA drivers, couple of months old.
(*&uu^6..stzen....error in line 2270....)
hm, bit of trouble there rendering
to text all them wasserfall spektrum mlssa graphs..
you'll have to make do with my text description here i'm afraid:
at 100 dB SPL, all drivers produced 0.5 % 2H distortion or less
in the 80-1000 Hz region. 3H well below that, higher harmonics
just appearing. snippet end

Now your kind of thinking would not easily lead you onto an original
thought, such
as this guy's, don't wanna bother lookin it up, surely out there, who added
some
2H distortion to an amp, theorising that tube amplifiers sounding so good
could
be because the generated distortion cancels (some of) the drivers'
distortion.
Simple, clear, elegant followed by measurement -science- look it up,
will ya ?

Oh dear, the doppler thing. keeps bothering you, eh ?
false assumpion one the
drivers move from 20-1000 Hz as a piston. At all levels.
He, done some measurements there, lately ? brand name, type,
protocol & results please.....soory kevin, cone break-up will make
the math somewhat more complicated there, no ?
And you still haven't told us, where that sin was in your li'lle form..

Next...
Know what, I think, for your sake, better to really end it, this time
here.
Bye
Rudy

N. Thornton

[...]

Hi Ruud.

A nice account.

New ideas do not come from committees,

I cant help but offer an elementary point, and that is that it is both
methods that produce results, not just one or the other. The sum of
the progress we have today has come from using both approaches. Each
has significant pros and cons, and tends to produce a different style
of result. But clearly both have produced plenty of progress.

The reason most people produce only minor progress is thats all theyre
able to do. This is the same thing as you said, put differently, that
they dismiss anything threatening, thus blocking their own path. And
that is an entire mindset no less. It is not a minor block to
sidestep, it is what makes people limited, what differentiates the
movers from the mediocre. One can not get free from the mindset that
limits people easily, it is a mindset not a thought.

Its late and I'm probably as clear as mud... to break out of the
mindset one is taught is something few manage. And that, to me, isnt
just about electronics, but the many seemingly unrelated ideas that
impact on how I approach tronics. Ie to grasp a subject one has to
grasp other subjects: in the case of electronics one has to grasp
concepts of business and the people.

Bed.

Regards, NT

This thread reminds me of my discussions with Kevin on medical
matters.

Ruud Broens

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...

: Hi Ruud.
:
:
: A nice account.
:
: New ideas do not come from committees,
:
: I cant help but offer an elementary point, and that is that it is both
: methods that produce results, not just one or the other. The sum of
: the progress we have today has come from using both approaches. Each
: has significant pros and cons, and tends to produce a different style
: of result. But clearly both have produced plenty of progress.

Of course. But it was particulary humourous in light of

: No it doesn't. That's why I mentioned it. You must have missed my bit
: about "popular descriptions of physics".
--One would hardly call Feynman a bantam popular paperback writer--

and
books, colleges, the accumulated findings of generations
of people, many of whom no doubt a lot smarter than either
you or me,

The truth, most are not.

--Must be a publication on self-inflating ego coming forth from
KA...brrrr.

[...]

Don't let me keep you from it
Rudy

Phil Allison

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message

: Adding in the
: standard 1% to 10% of normal speaker THD/IMD, and there is no chance
: whatsoever that your claim is supported.

You should take up some german lessons, Kevin.

** Ruud should see a psychiatrist, a nice German one !!!

They *are* having this reputation for thoroughness,

** Ruthlessness and and insanity are their real fortes.

Here is a snippet from a review of a dozen or so
PA drivers, couple of months old.
(*&uu^6..stzen....error in line 2270....)
hm, bit of trouble there rendering
to text all them wasserfall spektrum mlssa graphs..
you'll have to make do with my text description here i'm afraid:
at 100 dB SPL, all drivers produced 0.5 % 2H distortion or less
in the 80-1000 Hz region. 3H well below that, higher harmonics
just appearing. snippet end

** How the HECK does some PA driver (size , identity ??) operating at a
few watts input, restricted to an 80 Hz low frequency limit have the
*slightest thing* to do with hi-fi speakers at higher input levels and all
audio frequencies ????????????

Ever heard of comparing apples with apples - Ruud ?????

Oh dear, the Doppler thing. keeps bothering you, eh ?
false assumption one the
drivers move from 20-1000 Hz as a piston. At all levels.
He, done some measurements there, lately ? brand name, type,
protocol & results please.....sorry kevin, cone break-up will make
the math somewhat more complicated there, no ?

** Cone break up ( so called) does not cause FM of the input signal.

The Doppler effect does.

It also causes harmonic distortion of a single frequency.

see: http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/Doppler1.html

........... Phil

Ruud Broens

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message
:
: "Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
: : :
: : Lets get this straight shall we. My basic "trade" is analogue design,
: : i.e. my basic discipline, I have ben doing this for over 20 years.
///doing lot's of things, wee bit over 20, but not over the hill
: :
: : I have have wrote a 100k spice program that people buy.
///i like to cook. spice islands brand spices are magical
: : I have done graduate level general relativity, A pass.
///not been playing bridge much, lately
: : I have done graduate level Quantum Mechanics, B pass.
: : I have done graduate level Quantum Statistics, A pass.
///what was this renormalization thing again ? ...the mind drifteth, so
many other things..
: : I have uniquely constructed a gene-meme replicator theory to explain
: : human behaviour.
///djeez, for the life of me, can't explain what i'm doing here, myself
: : I have been playing electric guitar since I was 11 and still gig on
: : occasions.
: : I write and record all my own backing midi tracks.
: : I have developed my own unique mathematical proofs.

Bonus points, extra for the music things. mean it.

Now for a challenge, could make you a nice revenue (well, at least
GBP 20).
Along with all my postings in this thread there are typo's.
Or are they ?
Now, write me a program, that parses a text (say, whati'm about to post
or e-mail) and can generate some subtle changes in words, order,
letters in such a way, that it

relates to the subject of the text, yet may convey an altogether
unexpected second (..third) layer of 'meaning'

relates to the 'style' of the included original post to create
some humorous tone

has the option of subsequently loadable sets of rules/
neural net weighing factors?/anything if it works to
work in many languages, making possible things like
cross language jokes

A link to the program, I 'll be a good sport and buy it
-on your word - 'on the spot'
(well, not if it's GBP 17.500, obviously
Is there snooker on today ?
Rudy

Kevin Aylward

N. Thornton wrote:
[...]

The reason for this, is of course, because our brains are Darwinian
Machines, http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/intelligence.html. That
is, they operate by variation, selection and replication. Natural
selection of memes is a slow process. The Darwinian process results in
us preferentially coping popular memes, and rejecting unpopular memes,
because those selections, by assumption, are the memes that are
replicating the fastest. "What we observe mostly, is that which
replicates the most". So, our brain cant operate in any other way.

Snippet from above link.
********
Electronic Engineer as a Darwinian Machine

An Electronic Engineer copies existing circuits into his brain. He than
varies those circuits to obtain new ones. He than analyses them to
select the good ones. It is held that no other fundamental process are
required. An Electronic Engineer is thus a Darwinian Machine, as are all
of us.

**********

Its late and I'm probably as clear as mud... to break out of the
mindset one is taught is something few manage. And that, to me, isnt
just about electronics, but the many seemingly unrelated ideas that
impact on how I approach tronics. Ie to grasp a subject one has to
grasp other subjects: in the case of electronics one has to grasp
concepts of business and the people.

Thats correct.

Bed.

Regards, NT

This thread reminds me of my discussions with Kevin on medical
matters.

I don't recall that one.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html

"Understanding" itself requires consciousness,
therefore consciousness cannot be "understood"
without referring to itself for the explanation,
therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness,
is intrinsically unsolvable as it is self referral.

Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
understanding of the parts of a system can
explain all aspects of the whole of such system.

Kevin Aylward

Ruud Broens wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in
message ...

[...]

What part of "I have proven that consciousness can not be derived" do
you have trouble with?

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/understanding.html

""Understanding" itself requires consciousness,
therefore consciousness cannot be "understood"
without referring to itself for the explanation,
therefore the "hard problem" of consciousness,
is intrinsically unsolvable as it is self referral"

Your question is intrinsically unsolvable.

[...]

Phil trashed your argument here, so no point on me commenting.

Now your kind of thinking would not easily lead you onto an original
thought, such
as this guy's, don't wanna bother lookin it up, surely out there, who
added some
2H distortion to an amp, theorising that tube amplifiers sounding so
good could
be because the generated distortion cancels (some of) the drivers'
distortion.

Nonsense. No realistic chance of cancellations at all. Cancellations
require high accuracy, i.e. A-B.

Tube amps sound good, imo, because it just happens that some types of
distortion can sound cleaner, inaddition to othe fcators such as good
transient dynamic range. This is well known. There are products on the
market that add HF distortion to clean up old recordings.

Simple, clear, elegant followed by measurement -science- look
it up, will ya ?

Oh dear, the doppler thing. keeps bothering you, eh ?
false assumpion one the

Oh?

drivers move from 20-1000 Hz as a piston. At all levels.
He, done some measurements there, lately ? brand name, type,
protocol & results please.....soory kevin, cone break-up will make
the math somewhat more complicated there, no ?
And you still haven't told us, where that sin was in your li'lle
form..

Again, Phil trashed your argument here, so no point on me commenting.

Next...
Know what, I think, for your sake, better to really end it, this time
here.
Bye

Yeah right on. *Nothing* you have said so far has been correct or
useful.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html

Physics is proven incomplete, that is, no
understanding of the parts of a system can
explain all aspects of the whole of such system.

MDHJWH

(N. Thornton) wrote in message . com...

Snip.....
I cant help but offer an elementary point, and that is that it is both
methods that produce results, not just one or the other. The sum of
the progress we have today has come from using both approaches. Each
has significant pros and cons, and tends to produce a different style
of result. But clearly both have produced plenty of progress.

Idead, however,whilst I agree with the dangers of working as a member
of
an academic community, tying one's research to its literature and
observing its procedures, it is
something of a balancing act. The most obvious danger of not
following the literature is that one may
end up simply re-inventing the wheel. There is also a more subtle
problem, particularly in philosophy, that most abstract of
disciplines. And that is the issue of making sense at all. I have for
a long time been against the notion of "private sense." The only
touch stone of sense is communal
interchange. Even then there is the possibility of a group going off
on a romp of its own divorced from the rest of humanity; perhaps this
is what happened to German philosophy: does Heidegger really make
sense or is he just a grotesque imposition? However, I allow that one
can ask what constitutes philosophical sense. Indeed we must.
But this is where the balancing act comes in, because the novel is
always going to appear more or less
obscure to those who first encounter it. The new disrupts established
patterns of thought and with them disrupted it is a while before we
can find our way around again. I also allow that some great
innovations, or renovations of thought, have come from those who
worked in a relatively isolated way. Wittgenstein comes to mind
here.( though it is odd to say that someone living in Cambridge was
"isolated") I suppose it was a self-imposed distancing of himself from
those around him.
In the end, every utterance is novel, even if it is just a
matter of using an utterly standard form of words on a given occasion:
that moment has not occurred before and while not recur. How do we
understand anything, see its point on a given occasion, or whatever?
Of course, apart from new words, the neologist most often working by
combining parts from other words, e.g. "metrosexual", one can have
current words involved in new constructions, and poetry is the best
illustration of this. What I am talking about is the creativity of
human language, a matter of which Chomsky made much. And there is not
only the creativity of the speaker, but the correlative creativity of
the hearer. Chomsky was much impressed by the fact that we can
understand a potential infinity of sentences, yet in only a few years
as children, when we learn our first language, we are exposed to only
a finite number of them. Whence this capacity to deal with novelty?
There's my pleasant way off-topic Sunday afternoon philosophical
sermon, or rant. (depending on how happy you bottle-heads are with
it.)

Ayn Marx
N. Thornton

Hi

"Kevin Aylward" wrote:

[...]

The above only tells us about Kevin, not Ruud.

Just a final recap then:

[...]

Consider even the brain of a moth, brain smaller than a pinhead. Yet
capable of quite a bit, consciousness, and much more.

Consider the complexity of the entire internet, with all the computers
that are online at any one moment, each with its own added complexity.
Any sign of consciousness there?

: Adding in the
: standard 1% to 10% of normal speaker THD/IMD, and there is no chance
: whatsoever that your claim is supported.

You should take up some german lessons, Kevin. They *are* having
this reputation for thorougness, gruendlichheit, justly so.
Here is a snippet from a review of a dozen or so
PA drivers, couple of months old.
(*&uu^6..stzen....error in line 2270....)
hm, bit of trouble there rendering
to text all them wasserfall spektrum mlssa graphs..
you'll have to make do with my text description here i'm afraid:
at 100 dB SPL, all drivers produced 0.5 % 2H distortion or less
in the 80-1000 Hz region. 3H well below that, higher harmonics
just appearing. snippet end

Without any further information these 2 views are perfectly
compatible. It is interesting that such a result should be limited to
just 1kHz, a mere 1/20th of the audio band. To my mind that brings up
too many questions to make the figure of good use.

false assumpion one the
drivers move from 20-1000 Hz as a piston. At all levels.

Many types of drivers are never piston like.

Regards, NT
MDHJWH

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message ...

What do you think, MDHJWH,
is there hope yet
for a decent publication coming from Kevin Aylward
if he hires a female co-writer
to make it pallatable ?

And what kind of publication is it you refer too young man ?
These days 'decent' covers a multitude of sins !
W e hope it's nothing with phalic overtones such as :- "Trans
Inductance in Single Ended Triodes'

Ayn Marx
John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that N. Thornton
wrote (in ) about 'A
little knowledge worse than none at all?', on Sun, 23 Nov 2003:

Any sign of consciousness there?

Haven't seen any, have you? The structure of the Internet might be
compared with that of a bee hive, but there isn't a strong central
control paralleling the queen's pheromones.

I think it's more likely that machine self-awareness will emerge, if at
all, from a single computer which has many sensors sampling its
environment. Once it can 'make sense' of its environment (whatever that
means in detail[1]), it can then recognize 'self' and 'not self', and
the rest should follow.

[1] We know it's some form of high-level cognitive function, because
sufferers from autism can't do it. More research in this area could
advance our understanding of what the conditions for machine self-
awareness to emerge actually are.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Paul Burridge

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:41:43 -0000, "Kevin Aylward"
wrote:

[...]
I have developed my own unique mathematical proofs.

I'm sure you have, Kev. ;-

--

"I expect history will be kind to me, since I intend to write it."
- Winston Churchill

John Woodgate

I read in sci.electronics.design that MDHJWH
wrote (in ) about 'A
little knowledge worse than none at all?', on Sun, 23 Nov 2003:

Chomsky was much impressed by the fact that we can
understand a potential infinity of sentences, yet in only a few years as
children, when we learn our first language, we are exposed to only a
finite number of them. Whence this capacity to deal with novelty?

I don't see it as a big deal at all. Language is a way of coding thought
for transmission to others. One might as well wonder how it comes about
that if you learn 26 characters in Morse code, you can send and receive
messages of unlimited length and complexity.
http://www.isce.org.uk
PLEASE do NOT copy news posts to me by E-MAIL!
Patrick Turner

MDHJWH wrote:

[...]

Ah, Sundays.
Ppl ask me
"howya goin?",

and I answer,
"By car..."

I get
"Huh?"

"Yeah, when I work out why I am, I'll tellya how I am,
but meanwhile, I have to think about the question, its sunday".

On monday to saturday, I know my direction OK.

Patrick Turner.

Patrick Turner

MDHJWH wrote:

"Ruud Broens" wrote in message ...

What do you think, MDHJWH,
is there hope yet
for a decent publication coming from Kevin Aylward
if he hires a female co-writer
to make it pallatable ?

And what kind of publication is it you refer too young man ?
These days 'decent' covers a multitude of sins !
W e hope it's nothing with phalic overtones such as :- "Trans
Inductance in Single Ended Triodes'

Ayn Marx

An SET amp using a 211 tube can be a subconscious threat
to any female wandering into a male listening dominion.
The 211 is hot, large, and glows and pulses with life, and upstanding,
( and delightful!)
But the best things in life, including sex, are unnerving, and judging
by the sheer mountains of books, paintings, and music about love,
then sex is a threat, but one which few will ignore for long.

Now we have the symbol of the male phallus hitting us in the eye every time we
see a tube, but what is the audio equivalent of the female equipments?

Patrick Turner.

Kevin Aylward

John Woodgate wrote:
[...]

Its a difficult problem. But for me, I am reasonably convinced it must
use many independent processors. A single computer won't cut the
mustard. The human brain is of the order of 100 Billion little Darwinian
computers all interconnected in a very complicated manner. Sensors by
themselves are not key. We can have someone becoming deaf dumb and
blind, but still being conscious. However, with no inputs whatsoever, in
the long run, I think consciousness would probably collapse by running
amuck.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/index.html

Ruud Broens

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
: Hi
:
:
:
[...]

Exactly my point 'standard 1-10%...', not only silly, but easy to come
up with a zillion examples of it being otherwise, for some driver, at some
range, etc.. Using PA drivers here as example, because at these levels,
apart from having cone excursion that's barely visible, thus nothing much
"dopplering" going on there, there *is* piston movement.
Rudy
: