Default Dyna MK III Upgrades???

Got a pair of Dyna MK III's in for repair. Customer is interested in
upgrading. I have done a little research and found an Alan Kimmel driver
board at Welborne Labs and a cascode 12AU7 & 12BH7 driver board at Triode
Electronics. Both also have PS board upgrades. Kimmels being a mosfet pass
regulated design, Triodes's being a simpler a cap upgrade scheme.

Any experience/opinions on sound & performance on these
or other recommendations?

Thanks & happy new Year to everyone.

TS

arizona cowboy

I prefer the 6CG7/12AT7 mod by Kara Chaffee featured in one of the early
issues of Audio Xpress magazine (formerly Glass Audio)

and no new PC board required = cheap!

It sounds nicer than either of the two you mention, I feel

cowboy

wrote in message
Got a pair of Dyna MK III's in for repair. Customer is interested in
upgrading. I have done a little research and found an Alan Kimmel driver
board at Welborne Labs and a cascode 12AU7 & 12BH7 driver board at Triode
Electronics. Both also have PS board upgrades. Kimmels being a mosfet pass
regulated design, Triodes's being a simpler a cap upgrade scheme.

Any experience/opinions on sound & performance on these
or other recommendations?

Thanks & happy new Year to everyone.

TS

west

"arizona cowboy" cacheoverflowATyahoo.com wrote in message
news
I prefer the 6CG7/12AT7 mod by Kara Chaffee featured in one of the early
issues of Audio Xpress magazine (formerly Glass Audio)

and no new PC board required = cheap!

It sounds nicer than either of the two you mention, I feel

cowboy

Hey Cowboy,
Can you be a little more specific about where someone can find info
(schematic, etc.) on the Kara Chaffee mod? Thanks bunches.
Cordially,
west

wrote in message
Got a pair of Dyna MK III's in for repair. Customer is interested in
upgrading. I have done a little research and found an Alan Kimmel driver
board at Welborne Labs and a cascode 12AU7 & 12BH7 driver board at

Triode
Electronics. Both also have PS board upgrades. Kimmels being a mosfet

pass
regulated design, Triodes's being a simpler a cap upgrade scheme.

Any experience/opinions on sound & performance on these
or other recommendations?

Thanks & happy new Year to everyone.

TS

Unbelievable!!!

I have been a subscriber to Audio Amateur, Glass Audio, Audio Xpress, etc
for years. I have almost every year & every issue published by Old Colony
except for some of the 70's Audio Am's. Also have them pretty well archived
in magazine storage boxes. I seem to missing one though...guess which one ??
March 2001 Audio Xpress with the article on the Dyna MK III you referred to.
If anybody has the article and wouldn't mind scanning & emailing I would
sure appreciate it. Thanks.
Todd

wrote in message
Got a pair of Dyna MK III's in for repair. Customer is interested in
upgrading. I have done a little research and found an Alan Kimmel driver
board at Welborne Labs and a cascode 12AU7 & 12BH7 driver board at

Triode
Electronics. Both also have PS board upgrades. Kimmels being a mosfet

pass
regulated design, Triodes's being a simpler a cap upgrade scheme.

Any experience/opinions on sound & performance on these
or other recommendations?

Thanks & happy new Year to everyone.

TS

arizona cowboy

yeah, I have the article somewhere around here

and yes, I have heard all three, and they all sound nice

Kara's mod gets a slight nod over the other two from me in sound.

wrote in message
Unbelievable!!!

I have been a subscriber to Audio Amateur, Glass Audio, Audio Xpress, etc
for years. I have almost every year & every issue published by Old Colony
except for some of the 70's Audio Am's. Also have them pretty well

archived
in magazine storage boxes. I seem to missing one though...guess which one

??

wrote in message
Got a pair of Dyna MK III's in for repair. Customer is interested in
upgrading. I have done a little research and found an Alan Kimmel

driver
board at Welborne Labs and a cascode 12AU7 & 12BH7 driver board at

Triode
Electronics. Both also have PS board upgrades. Kimmels being a mosfet

pass
regulated design, Triodes's being a simpler a cap upgrade scheme.

Any experience/opinions on sound & performance on these
or other recommendations?

Thanks & happy new Year to everyone.

TS

Rich Sherman

Hi:

I am building a pair of Monoblocks that use the Triode board. Once built I
will let you guys know how it resulted.

Rich Sherman