Jerome

Default anti-mouse frequency(ies)

Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
work? Thanks!
Nick

"Jerome" wrote in message
om...
Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
work? Thanks!

Think "studio cat." You can get them real cheap at the local shelter.
They're also real good for calming your nerves after a stressful recording
session.

Not sure what frequency a purr is. Must be around 50 or 60 Hz.

Very soothing though. Mice hate it.

;-)

--Nick

S O'Neill

Nick wrote:

Think "studio cat."

and studio claws and studio fur and studio spray.
Steven Sena

I had a big Rat in my speaker shop when I worked at McCune A/V in San
Francisco...
I got a 500 watt Hafler amp and a high compression driver (tweeter) and fed
it a 22K hertz sine wave. The Rat ran out from behind the shelving looked at
me and ran as fast as he could out the door... YMMV...

--
Steven Sena
XS Sound Recording

"Jerome" wrote in message
om...
Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
work? Thanks!

Scott Dorsey

Jerome wrote:
Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
work? Thanks!

My wife tried some ultrasonic eliminators, and they produced a repetitive
wideband sound starting around 60 KHz and rising. I don't think you would
be able to do this with a conventional speaker or even the Tannoy Ellipse.
You're going to need a specialized transducer. Also, they didn't do anything
to get rid of the mice.

I suggest getting a cat. And not a stupid and ineffective cat like my wife has,
which will let mice run right across him. She wound up using traps, which
were effective.
Kurt Albershardt

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I suggest getting a cat. And not a stupid and ineffective cat like my wife has,
which will let mice run right across him. She wound up using traps, which
were effective.

Ours is reasonably effective. Weighs a tad over 19 pounds and (during the Summer anyway) maintains that weight while eating less than a cup of dry food per day. The rest of his caloric intake is prey. During the Winter the dry food consumption more than doubles and his weight goes up a pound or so. Very good natured, too.

hank alrich

Scott Dorsey wrote:

I suggest getting a cat. And not a stupid and ineffective cat like my
wife has, which will let mice run right across him.

He's Ghandi, you dummy.

--
ha
Bob Smith

"Jerome" wrote in message
om...
Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
work? Thanks!

The devices you can buy at the hardware store emit a chirp - they sweep from
25KHz to something above 60KHz, then repeat. Theoretically rodents don't
like the sound. Either the devices don't put out enough SPL or the rodents
don't care. I put some into a space invaded by rodents. Did NOT work.

Far more effective:

0.375 in OD emergency whistle sold at REI mounted in 0.375 ID tubing snaked
into difficult to reach spaces. Use approximately 20 to 40 PSI from an air
compressor. Wear hearing protection. This will make them exit the immediate
area. They will return so other means are necessary to eradicate them.

Snaps with peanut butter. Lots of them. This was very effective, especially
when put in the travel paths and employed with the whistle system described
above.

Bait stations with glueboards. Mix cornmeal and plaster of paris for bait.
It solidifies in their stomachs. Glueboards keep them from travelling far.
You don't want them dying in the walls or ceiling.

Stray cat - the alley kind, already used to catching their own meal and
quite good at it.

..38 revolver - if you are a good marksman this is also very effective - if
not expect increased ventilation from the new holes in the walls, ceiling or
roof. If you have neighbors they may get excited when this method is
employed so check local ordinances first.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Blind Joni

Snaps with peanut butter. Lots of them. This was very effective, especially
when put in the travel paths and employed with the whistle system described
above.

I have found that with traps one technique is really effective. Rented a
country home 6 or 7 years ago..had one mouse and this thing would NEVER get
into a trap no matter what the bait. Had mouse terds on the counters every
morning. I had a flash .. the mouse was ****ting all over the place and could
be marking a trail..marker bouys if you will. Set the trap that night but
spooned up some droppings and made a trail right up to the trap. I was asleep
about 10 minutes and SNAP!!!

John A. Chiara
SOS Recording Studio
Live Sound Inc.
Albany, NY
www.sosrecording.net
518-449-1637

Paul Stamler

"Bob Smith" wrote in message

Snaps with peanut butter. Lots of them. This was very effective,

especially
when put in the travel paths and employed with the whistle system

described
above.

There are good and bad ones, though. I normally use Victors, which I guess
are the Shures of the mousetrap world...rugged, and they always work. A few
weeks ago I didn't have time to go to the grocery store for a package of
Victors, but I was in Walgreen's and they had some made by J. T. Eaton that
looked very similar to Victor's, slightly cheaper, with a straight wire
holding down the snapper instead of one with a bend in it. Well, I set them,
and didn't catch mouse one. After several days I realized the traps no
longer had peanut butter on them, but were still unsprung. I replaced them
with Victors and caught three mice the first day.

If Victors are the Shures of the mousetrap world, what are Eatons?

Peace,
Paul

Noel Bachelor

On or about Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:11:27 -0700, Bob Smith allegedly wrote:

.38 revolver - if you are a good marksman this is also very effective - if
not expect increased ventilation from the new holes in the walls, ceiling or
roof. If you have neighbors they may get excited when this method is
employed so check local ordinances first.

Reminds me of a recording job out bush one time. The place we were
staying had mice running around, so my collegue (who lived there on and
off) found his old air rifle, and we sat there shooting the mice as they
ran along the kitchen sink. Interesting somersaults.

Noel Bachelor noelbachelorAT(From:_domain)
Language Recordings Inc (Darwin Australia)

Logan Shaw

Jerome wrote:
Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be.

I had mice too several years ago. It was in an apartment, and the
apartment offered free glue traps which did nothing.

I ended up getting 5 or 6 of the good old-fashioned wooden mouse
traps, the kind with a big spring. Then I'd put some flour,
yeast, salt, sugar, etc. into my bread machine and fill the whole
apartment with the smell of fresh baked bread to whet their appetites.
Once the bread was ready, I'd tear off a little piece and tuck it
nice and firmly into the end of the trap and set them out way back
behind furniture (mice don't like open spaces where predators could
get them). I'd go upstairs to leave them in peace, and 5 or 10
minutes later, I heard a SNAP sound. Or if not, I'd come down
the next morning and find one or two dead mice.

We had a little whiteboard on the fridge, so I kept score. I
think I got about 9 mice, and then after I reached that point,
I never saw or heard one running around again.

- Logan

Ben Bradley

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:49:47 +0200, "Maxy" wrote:

I have a mouse connected to my computer.... I got him trapped using a cat5
connection.... heheh

I backed up my hard drive and it ran over my mouse. Perhaps the OP
should do more backups.

"Jerome" ha scritto nel messaggio
. com...
Mice just started showing up in my house. I know there are some
devices that emit ultrasonic, mice-repellent frequencies and was
wondering if anyone happened to know what these would be. Was thinking
I'd make a loop, burn to cd(or play on the computer if the frequencies
are too high), and leave on while I'm gone or sleeping. Would this
work? Thanks!

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

FS: BLUE Mouse mic Cheapseller Pro Audio 0 August 16th 04 07:09 PM
usb mouse can cause problems to audio? loopus in fabula Pro Audio 3 February 28th 04 04:57 PM
mazda anti theft Garry Miller Car Audio 2 October 28th 03 06:12 PM
USB 2.0 Mouse Matt Pro Audio 0 October 22nd 03 11:51 AM
Why DBTs in audio do not deliver (was: Finally ... The Furutech CD-do-something) Bob Marcus High End Audio 313 September 9th 03 01:17 AM