Posted to rec.audio.pro
Outdated Mac User Outdated Mac User is offline

Default Shure FP33

Hi, all:
I used a 3 channel Shure mixer, FP 33, for a couple of interviews. I
hooked the mixer to Canon XL1. Two wireless lavs were connected to the
mixer. During the test, I made sure that the level did not hit the
peaks; roll-off was on. While listening to the recording, it sounded a
little 'scratchy' so I reduced the camera's audio line in level. When
I looked at the waveform on the computer after the recording, it was
apparent that the waveform was clipped everywhere, both at the top and
at the bottom. I just don't understand why this happened if I ensured
that the master volume was set so that there would be no peaking. A
buddy told me with the Shure mixers, you have to set the master low
and adjust the individual channels if you want to increase the preamp
level.

What do you think could have caused this massive clipping? In the
headphones it did NOT sound as bad as it did on tape.

Thanks,
OMU

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ray Thomas Ray Thomas is offline

Outdated Mac User" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Problem is more likely the input stage of the Canon...as I recall they have
very little headroom, and it doesnt take much to get them sounding
scratchy...have you considered using an input limiter ?
Ray

Shure FP33 Outdated Mac User Pro Audio 4 March 28th 07 07:06 PM
Shure E3, E3c or E3g?? Dave Pro Audio 2 September 8th 06 04:34 PM
Best pre for Shure SM7 Federico Pro Audio 11 December 24th 05 05:01 PM
Shure E2C Michael Sovitzky General 0 May 18th 05 01:04 AM
Which Is Better For Live Singing - Shure SM58 or Shure Beta 58 Mack Pro Audio 6 September 3rd 04 08:19 PM