sbcrikey

Default Power glitch during HHb recording, disc not recognized

This last Sunday I was recording a classical concert to a Masterlink
and an HHb830 (as back-up). About 10 minutes before the end of the
first half, the power went off for 1/2 a second. Power cycled on all
the gear. The Masterlink lost everything because I was incrementing the
tracks on the fly. The CD-R in the HHB shows data was written on the
disc but the disc is not recognized. The error message just shows
"check disc".

I am assuming that some header/TOC info was not written to the CD-R and
that it is not readable by the burner. My friend tried to finalize the
disc on a couple other HHb units, but no luck.

Is there a utility that will extract this "raw" data from the disc so
that I can salvage the first half? Do you suppose the guys at HHb could
pull anything off the disc?

Thanks for any help.

-Steve

sbcrikey wrote:
[...]

I don't know about the HHB but the Masterlink was writing data to disk.
The Table Of Contents hasn't been updated but the data is there. I
recently resurrected another concert off a Masterlink where power was
cycled before finalizing the recording. It is straight PCM data. Take
the hard drive out and connect it to a PC. Don't let the PC operating
system try to format the disk. Use a disk editor such as Acronis Disk
Director to search for the concert data. Copy the data via the disk
editor to a formatted hard drive. Using a program such as Adobe
Audition, which can read raw PCM, edit the data for the actual concert
and save to a formatted file. Voila, concert is restored.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com

Mark

sbcrikey wrote:
[...]

Did you try to read the CD-R in a computer drive?

Also I have heard that some older audio players like the Phillips CDR
560, you can put in a good CD with a "full" TOC, press stop, then
carefully pry the door open and swap CDs without the player "knowing"
that you swapped CDs, then you can play your damaged CD using the TOC
that the player read fom the previous disc. Of course the tracks #s
etc will be wrong but you may be able to recover the audio.

Mark

sbcrikey

Thanks everyone for the help. I will try Isobuster first, then if need
be, take out the HDD.

-Steve

G. Louie

Another vote for Isobuster. I was able to recover a live concert recording
from a Sony CDR recorder where the operator cut the power when the concert
was over, before writing the temp TOC or finalizing. The one snag was that
Isobuster tried to recover the whole 80 minutes and I only had about 50
minutes. So I aborted soon after I knew I had all the program and it all
worked fine after some quick edit clean up.

In article znr1111238852k@trad, Mike Rivers wrote:

In article .com writes:

I am assuming that some header/TOC info was not written to the CD-R and
that it is not readable by the burner. My friend tried to finalize the
disc on a couple other HHb units, but no luck.

Is there a utility that will extract this "raw" data from the disc so
that I can salvage the first half? Do you suppose the guys at HHb could
pull anything off the disc?

The "guys at HHB" are marketing guys. Their speciality is pulling
things out of engineering and putting them on paper. g

I've used a utility called Isobuster to rescue some incomplete or
damaged CDRs. It might work in your case. Do a Google search. Unless
things have changed since I got a copy, it's either free or trialware.
It allows you to save the data as a wAV file.