Bob Smith

Default SASS pzm vs. ORTF, xy, spaced pair, etc.

Other than simplicity and ease of use to get useable results, are there
any situations where a Crown SASS would actually be preferred over any
of the other stereo techniques. Assume that Schoeps, DPA, Neumann, A-T
mics in omni, cardioid, and hypercardioid are available for the other
stereo recording methods along with appropriate tall stands, stereo
bars, shock isolators and experience.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Bob Smith wrote:
Other than simplicity and ease of use to get useable results, are there
any situations where a Crown SASS would actually be preferred over any
of the other stereo techniques. Assume that Schoeps, DPA, Neumann, A-T
mics in omni, cardioid, and hypercardioid are available for the other
stereo recording methods along with appropriate tall stands, stereo
bars, shock isolators and experience.

Not really, but the ability to just throw the SASS up without doing much
thought about placement and still get a useable result is a wonderful
thing.

It's true, though, that you can get a SASS box that will accept your
Schoeps or DPA microphones, though, which gives you the best of both
worlds.

Bob Smith

Scott Dorsey wrote:

It's true, though, that you can get a SASS box that will accept your
Schoeps or DPA microphones, though, which gives you the best of both
worlds.

Is the SASS box still available as a commercial product? I found a
reference to a discontinued SASS with Schoeps mics but the box
manufacturer wasn't mentioned. Maybe this is a do-it-yourself or
modify-it-yourself project, which is do-able.

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com
Gidney and Cloyd

Scott Dorsey wrote:

... but the ability to just throw the SASS up without doing much thought
about placement and still get a useable result is a wonderful thing.

The local high school band got a SASS as part of a sound integrator
put together package. Usable, but the gym is still the gym.

One thing that disappointed me was that the XLRs were on the back instead
of the bottom, so you couldn't mount it flush on a wall or on a baffel,
although I guess the capsules are far enough forward that they're in
the pressure zone for only the lowest frequencies.

It's true, though, that you can get a SASS box that will accept your
Schoeps or DPA microphones, though, which gives you the best of both
worlds.

On of the nature recordists over on MicDIYers has a nice DIY retrofit
of a SASS housing with the some old Senn RF omnis. You should be
able to find pix online.

Bob Smith

Gidney and Cloyd wrote:

Scott Dorsey wrote:

... but the ability to just throw the SASS up without doing much thought
about placement and still get a useable result is a wonderful thing.

The local high school band got a SASS as part of a sound integrator
put together package. Usable, but the gym is still the gym.

Interesting how the worst situations really benefit from better mics.
ORTF with decent hypercardioids on a tall stand can clean up that kind
of environment. I was amazed at how much better the HS recordings became
when I moved from AT4041 to AT4051a and again with AT4053. Schoeps
CMC641 are even better still on the stands but I am not willing to risk
those mics when the venue is chaotic (lots of unsupervised children
running loose).

bobs

Bob Smith
BS Studios
we organize chaos
http://www.bsstudios.com
Scott Dorsey

Bob Smith wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

It's true, though, that you can get a SASS box that will accept your
Schoeps or DPA microphones, though, which gives you the best of both
worlds.

Is the SASS box still available as a commercial product? I found a
reference to a discontinued SASS with Schoeps mics but the box
manufacturer wasn't mentioned. Maybe this is a do-it-yourself or
modify-it-yourself project, which is do-able.

I think so. Crown wasn't really at the last two AES shows, so the only
data I have is a few years old, but it's in the last catalogue I have for
them.

They sell a box that is intended for use with the DPA microphones, but the
Schoeps fit just as well in there. Or Josephson Series Six. You could even
put a pair of SM-81s in there with a little padding, if you had to.