bionick

Default Audiostatic ES200 placements

Hey all,

Does anyone have much experience placing Audiostatic speakers in a room?
Have just got a hold of a pair of es200rs speakers, although the treble and
upper mids sound superb it quickly goes wrong from there on down. Speakers
are setup 1m from back wall and 50cm from side walls in a 5m x 8m room. Any
suggestions or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Robert Trosper

From experience with the Soundlab A1's (large, full range
electrostatics) I'd try the "rule of thirds" placement. I'm assuming the
speakers are across the short dimension and you're sitting along the
long dimension. Put the speakers 8/3 m from the back wall and yourself
16/3 meter from the back wall (or 8/3 meter from the wall behind you).
That will leave you 8/3 m from the speakers ( or about 8.5 feet which
sounds about right in that room).

To dial in the bass, play something with a repetitive bass line ("Ride
me like a wave" from Janis Ian's "Breaking Silence" album is good - the
album is great too), walk up to your speaker and move it back and forth
until you get maximum bass from the speaker.

Side wall placement isn't as critical. I put them as far apart as
possible without losing center fill. You can try moving the speakers
even FURTHER from the back wall and yourself closer to the "front wall".
The important thing is to get the speaker where you aren't cancelling
the front wave with the back wave OR to put yourself in the near field
where it doesn't matter (sit much closer to the speakers). I never liked
the feel of sitting in the near field although the sound can be quite
good. I preferred the more spacious feeling (to me) of the (approximate)
thirds placement.

-- Bob T.

Bruce J. Richman wrote:

From: "bionick"
Date: 5/3/2004 4:13 PM Pacific Standard Time
Hey all,

Does anyone have much experience placing Audiostatic speakers in a room?
Have just got a hold of a pair of es200rs speakers, although the treble and
upper mids sound superb it quickly goes wrong from there on down. Speakers
are setup 1m from back wall and 50cm from side walls in a 5m x 8m room. Any
suggestions or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Get them further away from the back wall for starters. And without even
knowing
your listening position I would suggest sitting closer to them and by doing
so
getting yourself further away from any walls. You might be surprised how good
they sound from 3 meters away or even closer.

From personal experrience with a large pair of full-range planar electrostatics
(Martin Logan CLS IIs), I would tend to agree. I have certain spatial
constraints, but I have my speakers about 4 feet (about 1.33 meters) from the
front wall, and I sit no more than about 2.5 meters from the speakers. This
seems to provide adequate bass reinforcement (within the limits of the
speakers) and a solid midrange and high end.

Bruce J. Richman

bionick

Thanks for the info so far, have been playing about, and although the
furniture moving hasn't gone down too well here I am starting to get a good
feel for what works and what doesn't. Have set the speakers up 2m apart and
am listening from ~3m back, this is working pretty well tonight, not quite
thirds but good none the less. Lots of time over the weekend to try more
combinations/ moves, will let you know how it goes.

FYI: Rest of the setup is as follows:

Orelle CDT10 Transport (Getting on for 10 years old and still stunning)
Orelle DA188 DAC
Krell KAV300i Amp
Cables are all Chord Co Cobra II.

Nick.

"Robert Trosper" wrote in message
From experience with the Soundlab A1's (large, full range
[...]

Bruce J. Richman wrote:

Charlie G

"bionick" wrote in message
Hey all,

Does anyone have much experience placing Audiostatic

speakers in a room?
Have just got a hold of a pair of es200rs speakers,

although the treble and
upper mids sound superb it quickly goes wrong from there

on down. Speakers
are setup 1m from back wall and 50cm from side walls in a

5m x 8m room. Any
suggestions or tips greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Your room dimensions are proportioned very close to the
Golden Section (a.k.a. the Divine Proportion) of 1:1.618;
here they are in a progression:

(...0.279m, 0.451m, 0.730m, 1.182m, 1.912m, 3.094m, 5.006m,
8.099m,...)

They also fall on the Fibonacci Number Line
(1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34...).

Try picking numbers off either progression--they're very
similar--to determine your speaker and listening positions.
Some acoustical padding on the wall behind your speakers to
soak up the back wave would be helpful too.

I got very good results with my Acoustat 2+2's, for
example, spaced 8 ft. apart in my 13x34x8 ft. room 3 ft.
from the short wall, with my favorite listening position 13
ft. from the front wall. They also sound very good from my
seat in the dining area, which is 21 ft. from the front
wall. I would have preferred to have the speakers 5 ft. from
the wall, but I had a WAF to consider...;-)

Good luck and happy listening,

--

Charlie G