Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

Default Spo how do you rate YOUR skills ?

hobbyhorse**** @ shortbus.edu wrote in message
And what scares me about video projectors in movie theaters
is they give projectionists unprecedented control over the
local picture quality(adjustments such as contrast, brightness,
color, tint, etc). I can see management of theaters trying
to drum up business by advertising "BRIGHTER, SHARPER, MORE
COLORFUL" than "ANY OTHER THEATRE IN TOWN!!!". In a theater
chain with digital projection, how can movie-goers be
guaranteed they're seeing exactly(or close to) the director
& producer's original intentions?

Previously, the only adjustment projectionists or techs had
up in the booth was Focus! And of course, scheduled
replacement of projector bulbs.

I see that your "knowledge" of film projection is down in the mudhole
with your dumb****ery about audio.

Apparently someone is personally offended when I mention
any extreme processing of image or audio here. Must have
a vested economic interest in extreme distortion of
image and audio for financial gain.

So often, when you disagree with someone, you make this bizarre
accusation that they must have a "vested economic interest" in
something related to one of your little hobbyhorses. It your mind
really so small that you can think that way? If someone says anything
about your dumb****ery, they must be part of some conspiracy to ****
up the way your audio files look when you watch them, for economic
gain.

Oh, the horror! Must have a vested economic interest in making li'l
Krissies files look like a sausage fest! (Yeah, there's big money in
making Krissie's Zeppelin mp3's look compressed. Yeah, that's the
ticket!) And video too. For chrissake, you whine about how people
should use their volume knobs more because you don't like the way your
audio files look on your monitor, but if someone touches a video
control, you freak out, as if you are somehow more qualified than
everyone else, and nobody else should be allowed to touch that dial.

Jesus, what a dumb ****.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Hey suitcase face: Shut up - and let the
INTELLIGENT posters here comment
about my LEGITIMATE concerns regarding
futzing with digital projector settings.

Obviously my mention of "loudness" or non
standard video settings bothers you, since you
go into a Cuckoos Nest Mister Harding tirade
and name-calling every time I do. No one else
in all of rec.audio.pro stoops so low.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Here stupidass, READ UP - mine IS a legitimate
concern, and you got NONE to say about it:

http://www.knuterikevensen.com/?p=915

It discusses standard practices and calibrations,
as well as worst cases of what happens when
theaters don't bother.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 30/09/2015 5:28 AM, Geoff wrote:
On 29/09/2015 22:17, Trevor wrote:
When I did EE 40 years ago we learned both conventional and electron
flow. Far from 50/50 chance of getting it wrong, I could always work
either way.
As for the diode symbol, I just assume an arrow for conventional, or an
old fashioned blunderbuss for electron flow. :-)
In any case how hard is it to understand electron flow is simply the
reverse of conventional flow? And if you know which flows +to- and which
-to+, the rest simply follows. Since neither is an exact representation
of what is really happening, it hardly matters which you choose IMO.

It only matters if you are doing semiconductor physics. Else anything
other that 'conventional' is an irrelevant distraction.

Once you get to the quantum mechanics level, both are irrelevant, but
never considered it a distraction. Simply never bothered me.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote: "- show quoted text -
Probably because most of us mark your posts a read when
we download 'em, so never read 'em.

Well STOP and read them for a change.
Perhaps it's the way I word things, but I
mean only good and have valid concerns.

And things like "Non " scare off others from
contributing to the conversation and offering
insight to the challenges I pose.

So please weigh in kindly on my concerns
regarding the new digital video projectors,
and potential abuse of them, in movie
theaters.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 7:41:40 AM UTC-4, wrote:
John Williamson wrote: "- show quoted text -
Probably because most of us mark your posts a read when
we download 'em, so never read 'em.

Well STOP and read them for a change.

Settle down, you're in usenet.

My friend heard an Aerosmith song on radio. He quickly e-mailed me a said it sounded like poop. The song, "Living On The Edge" from "Get A Grip" album. You know if it was remastered, LOUD!? Sounded okay on YouTube with my ears.

Thanks.

Jack

Perhaps it's the way I word things, but I
mean only good and have valid concerns.

And things like "Non " scare off others from
contributing to the conversation and offering
insight to the challenges I pose.

So please weigh in kindly on my concerns
regarding the new digital video projectors,
and potential abuse of them, in movie
theaters.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

crybabdy krissie @ dumb****,shortbus.edu wrote in message
Well STOP and read them for a change.
Perhaps it's the way I word things, but I
mean only good and have valid concerns.

You have well-flogged hobby horses. Your "concerns" are obsessions
fueled by ignorance.

And things like "Non " scare off others from
contributing to the conversation and offering
insight to the challenges I pose.

You pose no challenges. You just whine about things you don't like and
can't understand. Nobody likes you, and that's your own fault.

So please weigh in kindly on my concerns
regarding the new digital video projectors,
and potential abuse of them, in movie
theaters.

Please **** of out of here. Don't you have a projectionist to harass,
or have you been banned from your local theaters for being a
persistent dumb ****?

And aren't you supposed to be ignoring me? Or are you too much of a
dumb****?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Hey suitcase face: Shut up - and let the
INTELLIGENT posters here comment
about my LEGITIMATE concerns regarding
futzing with digital projector settings.

Actuallly, digital projection systems are pretty heavily locked down, and
there are automated calibration procedures.

No more misaligned gates, fingerprints on lenses, worn intermittents,
films run with the wrong aperture plate and sometimes the wrong masking.

No more focus issues from buckled prints and lazy projectionists. No more
flicker from managers trying to get every last hour out of the lamp.

For the most part, the digital systems either work or they don't work, and
they call home if they don't work. Mind you, there are a lot of systems
that were inappropriate for the room in which they were installed; we have
a local multiplex that I swear doesn't get more than 3fl on the screen. But
that's a single-time fault.

There is no way that anyone can log into the Dolby server and start fiddling
with color settings, thank God.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Angus Kerr wrote:
In all my years as an electrical engineer, I have never understood
what makes an anode an anode and what makes a cathode a cathode.

The greek words mean "way up" and "way down." The "anode" is the "way up"
or "ascent" and is at the higher potential.

I believe this is explained in "Words of Science" by Isaac Asimov, which I
highly recommend as the best bathroom reading of all time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

On Friday, November 6, 2015 at 5:03:00 PM UTC+2, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Angus Kerr wrote:
In all my years as an electrical engineer, I have never understood
what makes an anode an anode and what makes a cathode a cathode.

The greek words mean "way up" and "way down." The "anode" is the "way up"
or "ascent" and is at the higher potential.

So how would this work for a Zener diode a opposed to a normal signal diode? I'm pretty sure that for a Zener diode the anode and cathode are not reversed, even though the potential across the diode is.

-----Just checked Wiki, and it seems that the Zener diode violates the convention.

I tried to remember cathode = negative. I don't know if this is always true though.

-Angus

I believe this is explained in "Words of Science" by Isaac Asimov, which I
highly recommend as the best bathroom reading of all time.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

So how would this work for a Zener diode a opposed to a normal signal diode? I'm pretty sure that for a Zener diode the anode and cathode are not reversed, even though the potential across the diode is.

now you are really going to confuse everyone ..

A Zener diode used as a regulator normally works in the REVERSE direction. A Zener is actually a normal diode (it will also conduct in the normal direction) that is used in the reverse direction and it is dsigned to "breakdown" at a specific voltage i.e. the Zener voltage.

If you connect a Zener diode "backwards" it will conduct as a normal forward diode and will have 0.7V across it instead of the Zener voltage.

Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Angus Kerr wrote:
In all my years as an electrical engineer, I have never understood
what makes an anode an anode and what makes a cathode a cathode.

The greek words mean "way up" and "way down." The "anode" is the "way up"
or "ascent" and is at the higher potential.

So how would this work for a Zener diode a opposed to a normal signal diode? I'm pretty sure that for a Zener diode the anode and cathode are not reversed, even though the potential across the diode is.

Zeners are a special case, as they are normally operated with a reversed
polarity. As such, the real anode is often marked as the cathode, and
vice versa. They function in exactly the same way as a normal diode
(Current flow in the diagram follows the arrow) up to their quoted
reference voltage (Applied against the normal flow of current through a
diode), at which point they start to conduct. The difference between a
zener and a normal diode is that when a normal diode starts conducting
"in reverse", the breakdown is irreversible and wrecks the diode. With a
zener, the breakdown is reversible and controlled, so as long as the
current is controlled, the diode will maintain the reference voltage
across it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

Angus Kerr wrote:
In all my years as an electrical engineer, I have never understood
what makes an anode an anode and what makes a cathode a cathode.

The greek words mean "way up" and "way down." The "anode" is the "way up"
or "ascent" and is at the higher potential.

So how would this work for a Zener diode a opposed to a normal signal diode? I'm pretty sure that for a Zener diode the anode and cathode are not reversed, even though the potential across the diode is.

-----Just checked Wiki, and it seems that the Zener diode violates the convention.

I tried to remember cathode = negative. I don't know if this is always true though.

-Angus

I believe this is explained in "Words of Science" by Isaac Asimov, which I
highly recommend as the best bathroom reading of all time.

In semiconductors Current flows in direction of 'arrow' OK ! for forward
bias. Of course a zener doide operates 'zener-wise' in reverse bias.

And just to make it all clearer, electron flow is opposite to
conventional current flow !

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
On 17/11/2015 3:01 a.m., Angus Kerr wrote:

In semiconductors Current flows in direction of 'arrow' OK ! for forward
bias. Of course a zener doide operates 'zener-wise' in reverse bias.

That is a good way of thinking about it. The diode inside the package is
still going in the same direction, it's just that you are applying reverse
voltage when you are using the zener breakdown.

And just to make it all clearer, electron flow is opposite to
conventional current flow !

Blame it on Franklin. He made an assumption about lightning that turned out
to be wrong and 250 years later we still have to deal with it.

Unless you're in the US military where it's all backwards.... or forwards...