Posted to rec.audio.pro
ssinzig ssinzig is offline

Default Question about recording technique ie. Rock music

Hello everyone,

I have a friend who is currently in the studio recording an album with
his band. The plays hard rock/metal originals and in discussing with
him how the recording sessions were going we got into discussing some of
the technical details of how their recording is made.

He mentioned that when recording lead and rhythm guitar, they will
record several takes of the same track and 'layer' it in the DAW into
one track so that it creates a 'thicker' guitar sound. This process is
difficult for the guitar player because he has be to very exact from
take to take. He explained this technique is commonly done in the studio
by Metallica, Motorhead and the like.

Seems to make sense, but since they are doing this digitally anyway, I
asked him if they couldn't just create copies of the one take and layer
the copies on top of each other? He said that wouldn't give them the
sound they were after.

I guess my question is couldn't they digitally 'shift' the copies of the
one take to create different takes, and then 'layer' all that to get the
sound they are looking for? Is this a common recording technique for
this type of music?

TIA

S.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

ssinzig wrote:

He mentioned that when recording lead and rhythm guitar, they will
record several takes of the same track and 'layer' it in the DAW into
one track so that it creates a 'thicker' guitar sound. This process is
difficult for the guitar player because he has be to very exact from
take to take. He explained this technique is commonly done in the studio
by Metallica, Motorhead and the like.

Yes, and what makes this work is that no two of those tracks is quite exact.
If they were -absolutely- exact, there would be no difference. If they are
-not very- exact it sounds like multiple guitars.

Seems to make sense, but since they are doing this digitally anyway, I
asked him if they couldn't just create copies of the one take and layer
the copies on top of each other? He said that wouldn't give them the
sound they were after.

That's what John Lennon asked.

I guess my question is couldn't they digitally 'shift' the copies of the
one take to create different takes, and then 'layer' all that to get the
sound they are looking for? Is this a common recording technique for
this type of music?

When John Lennon asked that, Ken Townsend came up with "Artificial Double
Tracking" which is very much what you describe. It does thicken things, but
not in exactly the same way as doing multiple layers, because the tracks
are still too much the same even though they are time-shifted.

ADT and similar effects can work well, but the heavy metal guys want this
thick, growling guitar tone that sounds absolutely huge, and getting that
sound is more practical with conventional double tracking. On the other hand,
it depends on how good the guitarists are... if they can lay rhythm tracks
down one on top of the other in their sleep then it's the way to go. If
they have real trouble getting consistent doubling, then the effects box is
more likely to be a workable a solution.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 4:20:47 PM UTC-5, ssinzig wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have a friend..

Amazing!

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/10/2015 4:20 PM, ssinzig wrote:

I have a friend who is currently in the studio recording an album with
his band. The plays hard rock/metal originals and in discussing with
him how the recording sessions were going we got into discussing some of
the technical details of how their recording is made.

He mentioned that when recording lead and rhythm guitar, they will
record several takes of the same track and 'layer' it in the DAW into
one track so that it creates a 'thicker' guitar sound. This process is
difficult for the guitar player because he has be to very exact from
take to take. He explained this technique is commonly done in the studio
by Metallica, Motorhead and the like.

Well, those people have probably spent more time in recording studios
getting "their" sound than your friend has. Layering guitar tracks is
pretty common in pop music, particularly in styles that are
guitar-oriented. You've probably heard it and wondered how they made the
guitar sound so powerful without being overly loud. That's how.

Seems to make sense, but since they are doing this digitally anyway, I
asked him if they couldn't just create copies of the one take and layer
the copies on top of each other? He said that wouldn't give them the
sound they were after.

He's right. Exact copies of the same part doesn't sound like several
guitarists playing the same part because the timing is offset. Sometimes
a delay can be modulated by a random amount but most of the time that
just sounds like a bunch of sloppy guitar players.

Recording music is a lot harder than playing it.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
ssinzig ssinzig is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:
ssinzig wrote:

[...]

--scott

Thanks Scott,

That explains a lot. It intuitively made sense, I was curious as to the
reasoning behind that recording technique.
I'm under no illusion that heavy metal guys are looking for that
perfectly pristine audiophile sound, ha ha.

Music and audio reproduction has always been an interest of mine and I
have been following this group for years learning as much as I can from
your discussions.

Cheers,

S.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
ssinzig ssinzig is offline

Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mike,

Music and audio reproduction has always been an interest of mine and I'm
the type of person who likes to know the how things work. It's great to
learn about the technology and techniques involved in recording music,
rather than simply consuming music.
This group is an invaluable resource.

Cheers,

S.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tim Sprout Tim Sprout is offline

On 11/10/2015 1:08 PM, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Yikes. Sounds un-fun for the guitar player. The first take could be spontaneous, maybe, and then...not. I guess those guys don't use a lot of string bends and vibrato.

Tim Sprout

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 10 Nov 2015, ssinzig wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I guess my question is couldn't they digitally 'shift' the copies
of the one take to create different takes, and then 'layer' all
that to get the sound they are looking for? Is this a common
recording technique for this type of music?

They want the parts to be very similar, but not exactly the same. The
minute differences in timing and pitch create a chorus effect that
makes the part sound "fatter". Think of the difference in sound between
a single singer and a whole chorus, or of a single violin and the
entire violin section of an orchestra. If the doubled part is
replicated TOO precisely, it begins to sound artificial, as in what's
known as Automatic Double Tracking. Electronically shifting the parts
(ADT) creates a different sound that you might describe as less
natural. It's a legit and common technique. You use whichever method
gives you the result you want.

When they double guitar parts in the studio, they often play the
doubled parts using radically different guitars and/or amps. This can
give the combined effect even more complexity.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 5:47:20 PM UTC-5, ssinzig wrote:
Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

So am I. That's why I search outside of this group to find what happened in the past. Try it, it may help you.

Jack

It's great to
learn about the technology and techniques involved in recording music,
rather than simply consuming music.
This group is an invaluable resource.

Cheers,

S.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 10 Nov 2015, Tim Sprout wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

Yikes. Sounds un-fun for the guitar player. The first take could
be spontaneous, maybe, and then...not. I guess those guys don't
use a lot of string bends and vibrato.

You'd use different method in different situations. If the part is
written out in great detail, it's a good candidate for manual double
tracking. A loose or highly improvised part would be less suited for
that effect. On the other hand, manually doubling a complex part can be
very striking. An example I like is Jay Gradon's guitar solo in the
Manhattan Transfer recording of Twilight Zone. Jay plays a fancy solo
full of complex phrasing and bends, then lays a harmony part on top of
it that precisely duplicates every note nuance.

I noticed an example of that the other day. I was listening to The
Monkees song "Randy Scouse Git" with headphones. The lead vocal is
double-tracked all the way through until it get to the middle bit where
the singer scats a verse, and suddenly he's single-tracked. It may have
been done partly to give that section a different feel, but I bet part
of it was so he could just get loose and improvise without having to
worry about replicating the performance later.

Legend has it that Automatic Double Tracking was "invented" by George
Martin while recording the Beatles. I don't necessarily believe that he
was the first to do so, but you can hear in the records that up until
Revolver they used lots of manual doubling, especially on the voices.
Then on Revolver suddenly there's ADT on many vocals and instruments,
and it's used heavily for all their subsequent records.

I know from my own few studio sessions and home recordings that
doubling yourself is difficult but gets somewhat easier the more you do
it. You learn to really listen closely to yourself and to embrace your
personal performance tics, oddities and cliches. It can help you to
understand your own style.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

On 11/10/2015 6:14 PM, Nil wrote:
[...]

I've played 'parts' many times. What puzzles me is why the effect is noticeable
even when the guitars are the same model and playing through the same channel of
an amp... Yet when I play the same thing by myself the effect is missing. I've
wondered if having a pickup for each string would make a difference.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 7:41:47 PM UTC-5, Nil wrote:
[...]

I understand Giles Martin (of all people) remixed The Beatles. Once my friend gets his new site up, I'll hear how well Giles did. They should allow Americans to remix, tired of these UK people.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

ssinzig wrote:

[...]

Doubling is a common enough technique. The theory behind is actually
that the small imperfections will average out. The imperfections
are the point of it.

The Beatles invented "automatic double tracking" and because
of it and the Leslie cabinet, various chorus, flanger and
delay pedal regimes have come into ( and out of ) use. It's
always possible to use those. It's very unlikely they''l
actually improve things.

What you'll find is that one good take is way better than four
equally good takes, sonically. Think if you were talking -
would it be easier to understand one track of that or four tracks of
that? Multiple tracks results in interference.

If he doesn't want to do it, don't do it. I will refrain from
commenting about the inability of somebody to play the same part
twice, but it should be obvious that this is not a strength
unless it's improvised or spontaneous by design.

The very best way to fix that that I know of is to
take that show on the road. After a month or so of
playing the same set 7 or more times per week, you'll
be able to play the parts in your sleep.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nil wrote:
On 10 Nov 2015, Tim Sprout wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

snip

I know from my own few studio sessions and home recordings that
doubling yourself is difficult but gets somewhat easier the more you do
it. You learn to really listen closely to yourself and to embrace your
personal performance tics, oddities and cliches. It can help you to
understand your own style.

It's probably the single most valuable thing about home recording
for guitar players. You go from having to wait a day to catch
why the doubles are different, to catching it at mix, then to
catching it a verse later, then learning to *feel* when it's wrong
in real time.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/11/2015 1:14 p.m., Nil wrote:
[...]

Whereas simply duplicating the track and (say) moving slightly in time
or pitch will likely sound mechanical and more 'blur' the sound rather
than 'thicken'.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/11/2015 1:41 p.m., Nil wrote:
Legend has it that Automatic Double Tracking was "invented" by George
Martin while recording the Beatles. I don't necessarily believe that
he was the first to do so, but you can hear in the records that up
until Revolver they used lots of manual doubling, especially on the
voices. Then on Revolver suddenly there's ADT on many vocals and
instruments, and it's used heavily for all their subsequent records. I
know from my own few studio sessions and home recordings that doubling
yourself is difficult but gets somewhat easier the more you do it. You
learn to really listen closely to yourself and to embrace your
personal performance tics, oddities and cliches. It can help you to
understand your own style.

FWIW legend has it that Macca was(is ?) fantastic at actually singing
doubled parts incredibly accurately.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/11/2015 2:14 p.m., JackA wrote:
I understand Giles Martin (of all people) remixed The Beatles. Once my friend gets his new site up, I'll hear how well Giles did. They should allow Americans to remix, tired of these UK people.

Why not go out and buy a CD ? And some decent headphones while you're at it.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 8:40:48 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 11/11/2015 1:14 p.m., Nil wrote:
[...]

I don't put a lot of faith in George Martin being a great audio person. However, IF it was his decision to us a 4 track recorded with 1/4" wide tracks, did impress me.

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 8:45:22 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 11/11/2015 2:14 p.m., JackA wrote:
I understand Giles Martin (of all people) remixed The Beatles. Once my friend gets his new site up, I'll hear how well Giles did. They should allow Americans to remix, tired of these UK people.

Why not go out and buy a CD ? And some decent headphones while you're at it.

Well, I figured I'd ask you first before buying, the expert, since you own every brand and model since the birth of Jesus!!

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff wrote:
On 11/11/2015 1:41 p.m., Nil wrote:
Legend has it that Automatic Double Tracking was "invented" by George
Martin while recording the Beatles. I don't necessarily believe that
he was the first to do so, but you can hear in the records that up
until Revolver they used lots of manual doubling, especially on the
voices. Then on Revolver suddenly there's ADT on many vocals and
instruments, and it's used heavily for all their subsequent records. I
know from my own few studio sessions and home recordings that doubling
yourself is difficult but gets somewhat easier the more you do it. You
learn to really listen closely to yourself and to embrace your
personal performance tics, oddities and cliches. It can help you to
understand your own style.

FWIW legend has it that Macca was(is ?) fantastic at actually singing
doubled parts incredibly accurately.

geoff

Unison singing parts appear frequently on his records. But at varying
times, he's had some hardcore singers with him. Denny Laine was
no slouch.

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
david gourley[_2_] david gourley[_2_] is offline

Nil said...news:XnsA54EC85B5477Bnilch1
@wheedledeedle.moc:

[...]

-snip-

I was just reading more about ADT in Geoff Emerick's book, although I'd
known a little about it already. Sometimes they'd 'wobble' the tape on ADT
for a more extreme effect. It's very pronounced on Sgt. Pepper's 'Good
Morning, Good Morning' (with the guitar solo played by Paul according to
Emerick). The tape wobble actually bends the pitch of the final note in
the solo.

david
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Matt Faunce Matt Faunce is offline

On 11/10/15 8:17 PM, Les Cargill wrote:
ssinzig wrote:

[...]

This reminds me of traditional Celtic music. Lots of doubling, but each
player will ornament differently. Here's a sample.

https://youtu.be/CqYQLR-5xMg

--
Matt
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 10 Nov 2015, gray_wolf wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

I've played 'parts' many times. What puzzles me is why the effect
is noticeable even when the guitars are the same model and playing
through the same channel of an amp... Yet when I play the same
thing by myself the effect is missing. I've wondered if having a
pickup for each string would make a difference.

Well, no matter how much you try, when you play an analog instrument
there will always be small differences in timing and attack. It's
impossible to exactly duplicate your physical performance, even if the
electronics and amp are the same. That's where the "fattening" effect
happens.

I recall a story from a producer where the singer he was working with
was TOO good at doubling their vocal parts, and he wasn't achieving as
strong an effect as he wanted. He had to coach the singer to sing
looser and make more "mistakes"!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_] Nil[_2_] is offline

On 10 Nov 2015, david gourley wrote
in rec.audio.pro:

I was just reading more about ADT in Geoff Emerick's book,
although I'd known a little about it already. Sometimes they'd
'wobble' the tape on ADT for a more extreme effect. It's very
pronounced on Sgt. Pepper's 'Good Morning, Good Morning' (with the
guitar solo played by Paul according to Emerick). The tape wobble
actually bends the pitch of the final note in the solo.

Another good example is Clapton's guitar solo in "While My Guitar
Gently Weeps" - it's got very prominent ADT applied to it, with an
exaggerated wobble. It's even more obvious on the mono mix version.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/11/2015 5:23 p.m., Nil wrote:
[...]

I've had one like that. Sounded like a phaser !

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/11/2015 02:03, JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 8:45:22 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 11/11/2015 2:14 p.m., JackA wrote:
I understand Giles Martin (of all people) remixed The Beatles. Once my friend gets his new site up, I'll hear how well Giles did. They should allow Americans to remix, tired of these UK people.

Why not go out and buy a CD ? And some decent headphones while you're at it.

Well, I figured I'd ask you first before buying, the expert, since you own every brand and model since the birth of Jesus!!

People here have listed their favourite headphones for you on more than
one occasion. It has even been explained to you that various headphones
are best for different jobs. How many more times do you want us to do
this? It's an easy job to cut and paste our previous posts....

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
None None is offline

"John Williamson" wrote in message
People here have listed their favourite headphones for you on more
than one occasion. It has even been explained to you that various
headphones are best for different jobs. How many more times do you
want us to do this? It's an easy job to cut and paste our previous
posts....

He doesn’t really give a ****, as long as he can get people to keep
responding to his posts. A few people are always willing to support
him by responding.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Tim Sprout wrote:

Yikes. Sounds un-fun for the guitar player. The first take could be spontaneous, maybe, and then...not. I guess those guys don't use a lot of string bends and vibrato.

It's not too often the whole lead part would ever get doubled, but it's very
common to double, triple, and quadruple rhythm guitars. You will hear the
lead part doubled on choruses but them the doubling dropped out for a solo
in order to emphasize the solo. Listen to some records and see if you can
separate out all the pieces in your head!

But it does mean an awful lot of session time for the guitarists.

It's not unusual to double lead vocals either.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 6:46:32 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 11/11/2015 02:03, JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, November 10, 2015 at 8:45:22 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 11/11/2015 2:14 p.m., JackA wrote:
I understand Giles Martin (of all people) remixed The Beatles. Once my friend gets his new site up, I'll hear how well Giles did. They should allow Americans to remix, tired of these UK people.

Why not go out and buy a CD ? And some decent headphones while you're at it.

Well, I figured I'd ask you first before buying, the expert, since you own every brand and model since the birth of Jesus!!

People here have listed their favourite headphones for you on more than
one occasion.

So have I (my cheapo ($$) Philips). And your point?

It has even been explained to you that various headphones
are best for different jobs.

Oh, I see. One set of headphones can never do a great job everywhere, because...?

How many more times do you want us to do
this? It's an easy job to cut and paste our previous posts....

It was a joke to Geoff. Not sure why you people lack any humor. Maybe because you lack audio work? Frustrated?

Thanks.

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
Tim Sprout wrote:

Yikes. Sounds un-fun for the guitar player. The first take could be spontaneous, maybe, and then...not. I guess those guys don't use a lot of string bends and vibrato.

It's not too often the whole lead part would ever get doubled,

It does happen and probably more than you'd think.

but it's very
common to double, triple, and quadruple rhythm guitars. You will hear the
lead part doubled on choruses but them the doubling dropped out for a solo
in order to emphasize the solo. Listen to some records and see if you can
separate out all the pieces in your head!

But it does mean an awful lot of session time for the guitarists.

It's not unusual to double lead vocals either.

Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Angus Kerr Angus Kerr is offline

On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 6:23:44 AM UTC+2, Nil wrote:
[...]

On an album I produced, I did about 8 overlays of violin to get the disco era single line 'section' sound. I really had to concentrate on 'de-personalising' the performances, to avoid a 'caricature' of myself. You find that your vibrato, pitching and phrasing and bowing is so close take to take, that you consciously have to change it around to avoid a very 'weird' sound. I also used a different violins as well. If you don't take this into account the effect is a large single personality performance, which is exactly what you DON'T want.

-Angus.