CDDA stopped working

Old November 1st 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

Default CDDA stopped working

CDDA playback just quit working on my Win98SE system (a very old and
usually reliable install that's been migrated to three successive
MOBO's.) Various players show the track time counting down from the
correct value but no sound is output or is reaching the visual
displays. EAC is able to test a track successfully (using CDDA, I
think) but Windows Media Player or Audio Grabber crash the system when
I try to select a CD drive. I've reinstalled the standard CD drivers
and the ASPI drivers to no avail. Anybody got a clue what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein
Old November 2nd 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Bob Cain" > wrote in message

> CDDA playback just quit working on my Win98SE system (a
> very old and usually reliable install that's been
> migrated to three successive MOBO's.) Various players
> show the track time counting down from the correct value
> but no sound is output or is reaching the visual
> displays. EAC is able to test a track successfully
> (using CDDA, I
> think) but Windows Media Player or Audio Grabber crash
> the system when
> I try to select a CD drive. I've reinstalled the
> standard CD drivers
> and the ASPI drivers to no avail. Anybody got a clue
> what could be wrong?

The pointing finger points at the CDROM drive.

Old November 2nd 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer" > wrote...

> Source: "The New Quotable Einstein" collected and edited by Alice Calaprice.

Edited ??

Old November 2nd 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

Arny Krueger wrote:
> "Bob Cain" > wrote in message
>
>> CDDA playback just quit working on my Win98SE system (a
>> very old and usually reliable install that's been
>> migrated to three successive MOBO's.) Various players
>> show the track time counting down from the correct value
>> but no sound is output or is reaching the visual
>> displays. EAC is able to test a track successfully
>> (using CDDA, I
>> think) but Windows Media Player or Audio Grabber crash
>> the system when
>> I try to select a CD drive. I've reinstalled the
>> standard CD drivers
>> and the ASPI drivers to no avail. Anybody got a clue
>> what could be wrong?

> The pointing finger points at the CDROM drive.

Yeah, except that it affects both my no-name reader and my PlexWriter
the same. Should've added that to my original post.

I also should have added that the wave out path works fine playing
MP3's so it's not an audio problem per se.

Thanks,

Bob

Old November 2nd 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Cain

Gary Sokolich stalked me and wrote:

>> "Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."
>> A. Einstein

> The correct quote (attributed to Einstein) is "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Source: "The New Quotable Einstein" collected and edited by Alice Calaprice.

Moron. If you have the book in front of you perhaps you can tell us
her source for that version.

Too, you do seem to have conveniently overlooked her statement that,
"There seem to be several variants to it, too..." Give it up; you're
being even more foolish than usual claiming I misquoted something that
nobody is really sure he actually said much less how he might actually
have said it.

I don't really care whether or not he actually said it. He should
have. :-)

Bob

Old November 2nd 06, 01:00 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer wrote:

> A clear case of demon possession. The demons that previously took possession of your soul are now taking possession of your computer equipmet. What you need is an exorcist, not the advice of readers of this newsgroup.

That happens some times. On my old laptop, every now and then it
wouldn't burn a CD any faster than 4X - and in fact that's the only
speed that appeared in the drop-down menu in Nero. Burning at 4X worked
reliably so I couldn't attribute it to the drive simply being worn out
(I've probably burned fewer than 50 CDs over the life of the computer,
and don't play them other than to load data or install software). But
now and then, higher speeds would shop up in the menu, and when I tried
anything faster than 4X, it would fail.

Got a new computer. Solved the probolem. For a while, anyway.

Old November 2nd 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"Bob Cain" > wrote in message

> Arny Krueger wrote:
>> "Bob Cain" > wrote in message
>>
>>> CDDA playback just quit working on my Win98SE system (a
>>> very old and usually reliable install that's been
>>> migrated to three successive MOBO's.) Various players
>>> show the track time counting down from the correct value
>>> but no sound is output or is reaching the visual
>>> displays. EAC is able to test a track successfully
>>> (using CDDA, I
>>> think) but Windows Media Player or Audio Grabber crash
>>> the system when
>>> I try to select a CD drive. I've reinstalled the
>>> standard CD drivers
>>> and the ASPI drivers to no avail. Anybody got a clue
>>> what could be wrong?

>> The pointing finger points at the CDROM drive.

> Yeah, except that it affects both my no-name reader and
> my PlexWriter the same. Should've added that to my
> original post.

Here's how I'd trouble-shoot it.

First I would test each drive independently by pulling plugs. Drives that
share the same PATA cable can break each other.

If that sheds no new light, I'd test the drives independently in another
machine.

If that sheds no new light, I'd swap in a different drive from someplace,
known to work of course.

After that, then we're looking critically at the software and the system
board.

I'd bring in a hard drive with a fresh copy of the OS. If that fixes things,
then the problem might be spyware or a virus.

After that, the only thing left is the system board and the power supply.

> I also should have added that the wave out path works
> fine playing MP3's so it's not an audio problem per se.

What happened is that the drive still works as a data drive, but as you
started out saying, it forgot how to do CDDA. That could be a hardware or a
software problem.

Old November 2nd 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff

Mike Rivers wrote:
> Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer wrote:
>
>> A clear case of demon possession. The demons that previously took
>> possession of your soul are now taking possession of your computer
>> equipmet. What you need is an exorcist, not the advice of readers
>> of this newsgroup.

> That happens some times. On my old laptop, every now and then it
> wouldn't burn a CD any faster than 4X - and in fact that's the only
> speed that appeared in the drop-down menu in Nero. Burning at 4X
> worked reliably so I couldn't attribute it to the drive simply being
> worn out (I've probably burned fewer than 50 CDs over the life of the
> computer, and don't play them other than to load data or install
> software). But now and then, higher speeds would shop up in the menu,
> and when I tried anything faster than 4X, it would fail.
>
> Got a new computer. Solved the probolem. For a while, anyway.

Did you find another one with 98SE on it ?

;-)

Old November 2nd 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Rolo Tomassi

Bob Cain wrote:
> CDDA playback just quit working on my Win98SE system (a very old and
> usually reliable install that's been migrated to three successive
> MOBO's.) Various players show the track time counting down from the
> correct value but no sound is output or is reaching the visual
> displays. EAC is able to test a track successfully (using CDDA, I
> think) but Windows Media Player or Audio Grabber crash the system when
> I try to select a CD drive. I've reinstalled the standard CD drivers
> and the ASPI drivers to no avail. Anybody got a clue what could be
> wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Checked the cable which takes audio from the back of the drive to the
soundcard? Sometimes shared by several drives into one cable. Check it at
the back of the CD-ROM units and where it makes it to the soundcard.

Then check all the fader levels in the windows mixer app (select properties,
playback and enable all the various faders

Just two ideas

Rolo

Old November 3rd 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Gary Sokolich

Bob Cain > wrote in
:

> Gary Sokolich stalked me and wrote:

I suggest that it would be in your best interest to refrain from making
accusations that are both false and that you can't prove.

>>> "Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."
>>> A. Einstein

>> The correct quote (attributed to Einstein) is "Everything should be
>> made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Source: "The New
>> Quotable Einstein" collected and edited by Alice Calaprice.

> Moron. If you have the book in front of you perhaps you can tell us
> her source for that version.

Excuse me, moron. It is you, not Alice Calaprice, who "attributes" YOUR
version to Einstein. So the quetion should rightfully be "what is YOUR
source for YOUR version? The answer, of course, is that the quote which
YOU attribute to Einstein is nothing more than something which YOU have
fabricated.

> Too, you do seem to have conveniently overlooked her statement that,
> "There seem to be several variants to it, too..."

And the source for YOUR variant is......???

> Give it up; you're
> being even more foolish than usual claiming I misquoted something that
> nobody is really sure he actually said much less how he might actually
> have said it.

I don't claim that you misquoted anything. I claim that you have no basis
whatsoever for attributing the nonsensical drivel that you made up to
Einstein.

> I don't really care whether or not he actually said it. He should
> have. :-)
> Bob

Of course... and that's the bottom line. Pray tell, when are you going to
publish your revision of the Ten Commandments, you arrogant asshole?

subs stopped working shaq_attack Car Audio 1 March 25th 05 10:55 PM
LAPTOP STORIES: Got a rig working well? Well I do. Sort of. [email protected] Pro Audio 19 March 15th 05 07:56 AM
FS Parting Out working Ampex 440 1" 8 track MrMarksMusic Tech 0 November 25th 04 03:51 AM
CD player stopped working DaveINM Tech 3 July 30th 04 10:27 AM
eclipse 5122 12 disc cd changer stopped working, why? greg Car Audio 3 November 6th 03 01:06 AM